Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 299943 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #850 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:06:08 »
Just totaled up what I spent on this...
Probably really inexpensive for a custom, but not for me :P

Never tell me the price!

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #851 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:08:17 »

Never tell me the price!

Now I'm tempted to!
Still need a nice z-case or something though, cheap abs case will not cut it.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #852 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:37:27 »

Never tell me the price!

Now I'm tempted to!

Anyone know the feasibility of milling your own 60% case? I have an x-carve with a 0.8kw spindle on the way and I guess it would be cool if that was possible :D

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #853 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 20:42:15 »
Probably really inexpensive for a custom, but not for me

Never tell me the price!

Now I'm tempted to!

Anyone know the feasibility of milling your own 60% case? I have an x-carve with a 0.8kw spindle on the way and I guess it would be cool if that was possible :D
I don't know anything about that machine but it's certainly possible in the general sense to mill your own case. I might be trying this to make a couple of simple TEX-style aluminum cases using borrowed time on my former employer's CNC machines. I believe I can source some 1x5x12 6061-T6 bar stock for about $30/ea.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline n__dles

« Reply #854 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:27:15 »
I was considering making my own case out of wood, but I decided against it since I have 0 experience in these sorts of thing.

I'm sure most of you know, but the TEX Acrylic 60% is on Massdrop for $60. That's what I'm using for this build  :cool:

I believe I read that Matias sells stabs that work on the Dell (and possibly other) layouts. Someone on IRC had mention buying several sets and possibly getting a discount. Potential sub-GB for stabs??

The last detail I need to figure out, for now at least, is dampening. Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread and I glossed over it  :-[  Can we use the same o-rings as we do for Cherry? Or does it depend on your keycaps? I've gone for Tai-Hao if that makes any difference.

Thanks friends  :thumb:

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #855 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:36:17 »
I was considering making my own case out of wood, but I decided against it since I have 0 experience in these sorts of thing.

I'm sure most of you know, but the TEX Acrylic 60% is on Massdrop for $60. That's what I'm using for this build  :cool:

I believe I read that Matias sells stabs that work on the Dell (and possibly other) layouts. Someone on IRC had mention buying several sets and possibly getting a discount. Potential sub-GB for stabs??

The last detail I need to figure out, for now at least, is dampening. Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread and I glossed over it  :-[  Can we use the same o-rings as we do for Cherry? Or does it depend on your keycaps? I've gone for Tai-Hao if that makes any difference.

Thanks friends  :thumb:

The matias stab buy was by, of course, Blue, has gone and went, and will be shipped out w/ this gb.

Can't help you with the dampening, I love noisy keyboards, sorry. Even if I didn't, I have no clue. :P
Maybe blue has an extra stab set or something.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 21:55:12 by Deductivemonkee »

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline n__dles

« Reply #856 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 23:01:41 »
The matias stab buy was by, of course, Blue, has gone and went, and will be shipped out w/ this gb.
Ruh-roh, just checked Matias's website and I see switches for sale, but no stabs; same thing on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Oh well, worst case scenario is I have to order 5,10,20 however many sets and wait for Round 3 to sell the extras. I'll wait patiently to see if anyone has extras or knows how to get stabs, and if nada I'll contact Matias.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #857 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 23:17:24 »
Ruh-roh, just checked Matias's website and I see switches for sale, but no stabs; same thing on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Oh well, worst case scenario is I have to order 5,10,20 however many sets and wait for Round 3 to sell the extras. I'll wait patiently to see if anyone has extras or knows how to get stabs, and if nada I'll contact Matias.

Go here http://matias.ca/order/ and scroll to the Matias Alps Keycaps section. At the bottom it says Stabilizer & Hook set. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #858 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 23:18:15 »

Here you go. They're a little hidden, but I knew where to look :)
http://matias.ca/order/#keycaps

Offline n__dles

« Reply #859 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 00:48:08 »
Thanks guys, I actually looked under Alps Keycaps and somehow missed them  :-[
$15 for a few bits of wire!!  :eek: Oh well, I'm just happy to be in on this GB, and the total build price is very cheap  :thumb:

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #860 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 00:07:58 »
Somebody suggest what cool things to put on my layout, I'm already adding a safety mode so no one can type on my keyboard (dvorak).

Also, don't let me down Blue, this must be here on or before Christmas so that I can put it under a tree and torture myself and eventually give in, tear it open and start soldering.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 November 2015, 00:11:52 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #861 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:45:55 »
Somebody suggest what cool things to put on my layout, I'm already adding a safety mode so no one can type on my keyboard (dvorak).

Also, don't let me down Blue, this must be here on or before Christmas so that I can put it under a tree and torture myself and eventually give in, tear it open and start soldering.
Blank caps
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #862 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:00:07 »

Blank caps

I meant in the firmware -_-

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #863 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:05:16 »

Blank caps

I meant in the firmware -_-
lol I misunderstood. Some cool firmware things I like are: dual role space/fn, dual role arrow keys on bottom right corner, dual role ctrl/esc at where caps lock usually is.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #864 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:06:24 »
BlueNalgene,

Are the CAD files for the plates available?  :-*

I'm asking for personal use, not to make millions of your designs. I'm happy to sign a NDA!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #865 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:28:10 »
BlueNalgene,

I'm asking for personal use, not to make millions of your designs. I'm happy to sign a NDA!

I recommend asking jdcarpe, as jdcarpe made and owns the rights to the plates.

Offline neverused

« Reply #866 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:21:24 »
If anyone wants to sell an extra pcb and hhkb plate, please let me know.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #867 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:41:53 »
BlueNalgene,

I recommend asking jdcarpe, as jdcarpe made and owns the rights to the plates.

Correct.  I made modifications to a few of the plates, but the rights are inherited from JDCarpe.  Ask him.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #868 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:42:37 »
Tomorrow's Monday! Plates!

....and bowls?

Offline ika

« Reply #869 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 00:11:08 »
I don't know anything about that machine but it's certainly possible in the general sense to mill your own case. I might be trying this to make a couple of simple TEX-style aluminum cases using borrowed time on my former employer's CNC machines. I believe I can source some 1x5x12 6061-T6 bar stock for about $30/ea.

Would be interested in hearing the follow-up to this plan :) so rarely do I get a chance at a local transaction.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #870 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:29:42 »
i hope the tex acrylic case on massdrop reaches moq because i have no clue as to what other case i should use
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #871 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:40:29 »
i hope the tex acrylic case on massdrop reaches moq because i have no clue as to what other case i should use

I'm pretty sure that one doesn't have MOQ

Offline n__dles

« Reply #872 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:50:57 »
Mechanicalkeyboards.com has it in stock for $69 shipped.

I'm not sure if hasu's board will fit in ziptyzes 3d printed case, but it looks gr*8  :cool:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #873 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:13:12 »
Updates:

Plates are cut, and switches fit in them.

I just got back from the powder coating place.  I went with "signal blue" with a very light clear coat.  The color seemed appropriately audacious without being too ugly.  I wanted to go with a darker color, but the available options were a little blasé.  The coating place took extra care to make sure all of the parts still fit in the holes with the added thickness.  I only have had a chance to inspect one plate, but it looked good.

The sticker printer recommended by [person on GH] hasn't returned my requests for a quote.  So that may not be happening.  My usual sticker printer is backed up for the holidays.

The 3D printed parts are 'in production', and I expect will ship before the end of next week.  The usual delivery date for the colored parts is 15 days from order, so the 10th?

I am still working long hours, so this is a terse update and I am stretched for time.  I woke up at 4 am this morning with panic/insomnia and taped up some more boxes before going back to bed.  I will be out of the country from the 11th until the 20(ish)th.  That means my advisor is trying to squeeze as much work out of me before I leave as well. I am REALLY pushing to get all of this done before then.  I can't really get through my living room to my door, and the assembled boxes and part bins are taking up literally 1/2 of my apartment.  My girlfriend will be coming to live with me for a few weeks when I return, and I need to vacuum so she never finds out that I'm a gross male.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #874 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:19:37 »
Awesome, Blue. Thanks for the update!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SJHL

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:29:18 »
Updates:

I just got back from the powder coating place.  I went with "signal blue" with a very light clear coat.  The color seemed appropriately audacious without being too ugly.  I wanted to go with a darker color, but the available options were a little blasé.  The coating place took extra care to make sure all of the parts still fit in the holes with the added thickness.  I only have had a chance to inspect one plate, but it looked good.

The sticker printer recommended by [person on GH] hasn't returned my requests for a quote.  So that may not be happening.  My usual sticker printer is backed up for the holidays.

The 3D printed parts are 'in production', and I expect will ship before the end of next week.  The usual delivery date for the colored parts is 15 days from order, so the 10th?

I am still working long hours, so this is a terse update and I am stretched for time.  I woke up at 4 am this morning with panic/insomnia and taped up some more boxes before going back to bed.  I will be out of the country from the 11th until the 20(ish)th.  That means my advisor is trying to squeeze as much work out of me before I leave as well. I am REALLY pushing to get all of this done before then.  I can't really get through my living room to my door, and the assembled boxes and part bins are taking up literally 1/2 of my apartment.  My girlfriend will be coming to live with me for a few weeks when I return, and I need to vacuum so she never finds out that I'm a gross male.

After a quick Google search, Signal Blue doesnt looks so bad - thanks!

Thank you for trying your best but priority is first! (Work and girlfriend)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #876 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:59:51 »
Updates:

It's too bad about the stickers, but thanks for the update Blue!

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #877 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:37:26 »

I'm pretty sure that one doesn't have MOQ
oh, i was under the impression that massdrop didn't complete a drop if it didn't meet the lowest drop point, but i've been historically wrong about keyboard stuff so
Mechanicalkeyboards.com has it in stock for $69 shipped.

I'm not sure if hasu's board will fit in ziptyzes 3d printed case, but it looks gr*8  :cool:
yeah, i was considering this case but idk i haven't seen it up close and i'm concerned that it's gonna look like a cheap, standard 3d-printed case. but i haven't even googled images of the case so ya
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #878 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:59:11 »
Updates:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #879 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 14:42:27 »
Ugh, this GB just gets worse and worse.  First there was extra money from the switches (seriously, how ridiculous is that), then there were updates that things were being completed on time (wtf?), and now we hear that we may not even get the stickers that we were maybe going to get??

Wow.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #880 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:39:10 »
Ugh, this GB just gets worse and worse.  First there was extra money from the switches (seriously, how ridiculous is that), then there were updates that things were being completed on time (wtf?), and now we hear that we may not even get the stickers that we were maybe going to get??

Wow.
Yeah really, if the biggest problem I have is not getting a sticker, I'll cope.

P.S.
PM Hoffman

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #881 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 16:10:13 »
Updates:

i can't speak for everybody else, but i'm in no rush :p
take your time blue!

speak for yourself

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #882 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:50:08 »

Wow.

Horrible GBs like this are why GH should personally insure everyone for all the GBs that they enter

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #883 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:23:21 »
I'm glad you folks are so understanding, but I'm very motivated. 

Look at that picture.  Step back and think for a second.  That is literally HALF of my apartment space.  Now do you see the tiny path of exposed carpet?  That is the only way to the door.  This GB has consumed my house.  I want this **** gone.  I want to vacuum.  I want to find where that one slice of apple got to which is beginning to smell.  I remember how life used to be simple and nice.  Then you lot just HAD to FORCE ME to do this GB to satisfy your demented Alps lust.  Monsters.

Offline n__dles

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:34:20 »
I'm sure some of us would be happy to receive our stuff now, and then paypal you the $$ for extra shipping so you can send the extras later.

I realize this would add another step & complications, but might be worthwhile to reclaim some space. Just an idea..

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #885 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:35:13 »
BlueNalgene's a hoarder CONFIRMED

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #886 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:39:26 »
I hope my package is the one with the slice of apple in it.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #887 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:41:34 »

Show Image

Look at that picture.  Step back and think for a second.  That is literally HALF of my apartment space.  Now do you see the tiny path of exposed carpet?  That is the only way to the door.  This GB has consumed my house.  I want this **** gone.  I want to vacuum.  I want to find where that one slice of apple got to which is beginning to smell.  I remember how life used to be simple and nice.  Then you lot just HAD to FORCE ME to do this GB to satisfy your demented Alps lust.  Monsters.

When you said "half your apartment" I didn't realize how much space 89 plates, 102 pcbs and 10k switches would take up...

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #888 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:50:19 »

We discussed silly trinkets, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I shall settle for no fewer than TWO apple slices. Pfft!
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #889 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 20:04:42 »

Show Image

hush now you know you like it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #890 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 23:19:17 »

Show Image

I'd do it again. >:D

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #891 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 00:11:45 »

Show Image

I'd do it again. >:D
Speaking of which Blue, when is round 2?
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #892 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 00:22:08 »
Updates:

Thanks for the update Blue.  Getting excited to see my plate.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #893 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:30:17 »

Show Image

Does your apartment have two floors?  Mine does, but is very unusual for that reason - are we apartment twinsss?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #894 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:45:14 »

Show Image

Does your apartment have two floors?  Mine does, but is very unusual for that reason - are we apartment twinsss?

It would seem we are.  There are tons of two floor apartments in my town.  When I was hunting, every single one was lofted, whether it was 0, 1, or 2 bedroom.  Mine is technically a 0 bedroom since I don't have a wall separating my bedroom upstairs from the downstairs area, just a railing.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #895 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:34:34 »

We discussed silly trinkets, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I shall settle for no fewer than TWO apple slices. Pfft!
i think the apples would be better than the artisan caps to be honest

speak for yourself

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #896 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 18:31:47 »

Ouch.  Right in the ego.

I packed some boxes tonight.  17/100  They aren't taped up because I am still waiting on things, so they aren't about to send soon.  All the same, I am proud of the accomplishment.  Now I'm going to shower all of the sweat off, because doing that with a fever was pretty dumb in hindsight.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #897 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 18:33:57 »

Ouch.  Right in the ego.

I packed some boxes tonight.  17/100  They aren't taped up because I am still waiting on things, so they aren't about to send soon.  All the same, I am proud of the accomplishment.  Now I'm going to shower all of the sweat off, because doing that with a fever was pretty dumb in hindsight.
Take care, Blue! Thank you so much for your work!

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #898 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 18:36:52 »
When are you going to (hopefully) ship Blue?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #899 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 20:35:15 »
Now I'm going to shower all of the sweat off, because doing that with a fever was pretty dumb in hindsight.

With any luck, we'll get some nice virus buddies in the package with our keyboards!

Maybe this group buy won't be a failure after all.  ;)