Author Topic: What are products that you regret buying?  (Read 7543 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What are products that you regret buying?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 05:31:47 »
I try my best to stay away from GMK keycaps because I value money.

“ because I value money” are you implying that people who purchase GMK sets don’t value money? I think they do value there money. They buy something that is made with quality and consistent legends. I see it as something that will last a lifetime and worth the money.

That's what all the drug dealers say.

Offline jamster

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 06:05:30 »
I would argue that typing on a keycult is also an experience which you have to spend big bucks to attain. Your point seemed to be that the biking would be objectively more exhilarating and 'worth it'. However, that sounds like something you might do a couple times a year, whereas typing on a high end board (especially for someone who works on a computer), is something you do all day every day.

Not trying to be divisive or catty, I appreciate your response

Oh, that wasn't me. I brought up bikes as an expensive thing (but still cheap compared to other hobbies), but I wasn't saying that riding a bike is 'better' or a 'unique experience,' that was someone else. And having done some fairly exotic trips, I still wouldn't say that they are objectively 'better' than owning a good keyboard, that's just so totally subjective and kind of elitist.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 11:21:22 »

Oh, that wasn't me. I brought up bikes as an expensive thing (but still cheap compared to other hobbies), but I wasn't saying that riding a bike is 'better' or a 'unique experience,' that was someone else. And having done some fairly exotic trips, I still wouldn't say that they are objectively 'better' than owning a good keyboard, that's just so totally subjective and kind of elitist.

Ah right, my bad it was not you. There seems to be a lot of responding to the wrong person in this thread lmao

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Indigu

• Yea sure
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:24:30 »

“ because I value money” are you implying that people who purchase GMK sets don’t value money? I think they do value there money. They buy something that is made with quality and consistent legends. I see it as something that will last a lifetime and worth the money.

I'm not necessarily stating that GMK keycaps are a worthless purchase and that anyone who buys them is financially incompetent, I'm just saying that they're over expensive FOR ME and that it wouldn't be feasible or smart to buy them even though I really want them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:28:58 by Indigu »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 17:02:54 »

I'm not necessarily stating that GMK keycaps are a worthless purchase and that anyone who buys them is financially incompetent, I'm just saying that they're over expensive FOR ME and that it wouldn't be feasible or smart to buy them even though I really want them.

There are better things to spend your money on if you're on a budget if you ask me. What do I know though? I don't mind typing on cheap lasered ABS. Do nice thick caps feel and sound a little better in most scenarios? Yeah. I think other things make a lot bigger tangible difference though, and really don't care about legends at all. Aesthetics are nice, but the feel is at least 70% of the whole deal for me. Then comes sound. The aesthetics would be a tiny fraction of the leftovers.

That's also a clicky person speaking though, where just about everything revolves around the tactile event and the the noisier the better. Other elements tend to fade into the background.

A lot of what is worth purchasing is entirely relative/subjective, dependent on taste and budget.

Offline Tribal

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 18:23:39 »
Cherry MX Red RGB and Cherry MX Clear switches to make Ergo Clear RGB switches.  After hours of work, I realized that I strongly prefer my Glorious Pandas. 

Offline arock0627

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 19:24:30 »
3 switch testers only to make me realize what I actually liked in my keyswitches was not the tactile bump, but the bottoming-out thock, and browns were the best because I could rest my fingers on the keyboard without accidentally typing.

So browns won out on my newest keyboard, despite the best efforts from numerous other switches.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 21:40:13 »
3 switch testers only to make me realize what I actually liked in my keyswitches was not the tactile bump, but the bottoming-out thock, and browns were the best because I could rest my fingers on the keyboard without accidentally typing.

So browns won out on my newest keyboard, despite the best efforts from numerous other switches.
switch testers are always a hard one, you use it once and then try to find a use for it

Offline jamster

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 22:01:49 »

That sounds like a pretty reasonable purchase- far better than populating an entire board with switches that you didn't like?

Offline mintypeach

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 08:12:18 »
Buying another MX Brown keyboard. In this case it was a ducky one midnight. I started messing around with non Cherry switches and after that I completely understood why Cherry Browns got all the flak that they did. It isn't the end of the world and I can of course sell it but still probably shouldn't have just gotten another keyboard that was borderline identical to what I have now.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 08:22:24 »

switch testers are always a hard one, you use it once and then try to find a use for it

I kept mine at one of the schools I work at for the kids to try switches out on. I think it has been dropped multiple times though so I have no idea where everything is on it now. I did go back and reference mine from time to time for comparison either way when I could still see a chart of every switch that actually corresponded with the layout of the tester.

Offline tommyamoszhao

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 29 May 2021, 04:11:22 »
Are there any certain products that filled you with excitement but you wished to receive your money back after purchasing them?
  • shipping takes forever
  • failed to deliver

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 29 May 2021, 05:46:55 »
Ducky Shine Yellow Edition, because the LEDs are ORANGE!

Orange, I tell you, ORANGE!

It's outrageous!

I have a dream that one day I will have enough time to replace the ORANGE LEDs with actual yellow ones, and have been trying to collect actual yellow LEDs ever since.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ