Author Topic: [GB] Big Switch Wood, Aluminum, and Brass Cases - Update on shipping dates  (Read 10506 times)

Offline woodkeys

• Crafter of quality custom keyboards
    • WoodKeys.click
Big Cases for your Big Switch!

At long last, pre-orders are now open for the full lineup of Big Series cases that were announced a few weeks ago along with a special surprise.

That's right, you can get a solid brass case for your Big Switch, polished to a mirror shine.

Also available is an aluminum case with the same design, with a large selection of anodized colors including rose gold (What I was told was rose gold was in fact not, I am working with the anodizers to see about adding it though). The aluminum case weighs about 1 pound, and the brass is over 3 lbs. Both include crystal clear acrylic by stratakb.com for maximum RGB!

As previously announced, there are options for 2-key, 3-key, and 4-key wood cases. The 1-key cases are still being produced and sold in rolling batches as well.es as well. All feature the same crystal clear acrylic and PCBs with programmable RGB LEDs.

About the design
More
All cases are comprised of 3 parts: a top section made of wood or metal, a crystal clear acrylic mid section, and and bottom. The tops and bottoms are CNC milled, the mid layer is laser cut.

The wood cases are press fit with hardwood dowels, the metal cases use screws and binding posts. These pass completely through the case, and will be visible on the top and bottom.

What you get
More
  • Top and Bottom in material of choice
  • Mid layer in crystal clear acrylic
  • Screws or dowels (depending on case type, see above)
  • PCB with RGB LEDs (optional)
  • Cork pads or rubber bumpons (depending on case type)

Where to buy
All orders are processed through the Woodkeys website.
Full lineup of Big Series cases and PCBs

Update: Price Drop
Great news! I was able to secure lower pricing on the wood cases, so the 2u case has dropped by $10, the 3u case by $15, and the 4u case by $25!! Existing orders will be refunded the difference when pre-orders close. At 25 orders (per case), the price for each will drop by another $5.

Update 8/4
See notes on shipping dates below.

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 August 2018, 18:11:29 by woodkeys »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Wood, aluminum, and BRASS cases for the Big Switch
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 12:11:30 »
Approved!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 14:45:47 »
I don't know how to feel about this :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 14:56:22 »
I feel like making a desk lamp out of it.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:26:54 »
Feels like you should by a few and find out ;)

Desk lamp is basically what this started as.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:36:57 »

Please tell me the lamp is turned on/off by pressing the switch...

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 17:42:45 »
Dat brass!  :p

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:03:09 »

Please tell me the lamp is turned on/off by pressing the switch...

It's fully programmable, so you can do whatever you want. That is the general idea though, I know a few from the last batch have done that.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:05:29 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 18:53:25 »
Always loved the big switch, so glad to see something fun like this being made!

Offline Data

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 19:37:44 »
This kinda makes me wish I had one of those novelty switches.  :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 20:15:54 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 21:52:36 »

underrated post
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 22:18:51 »
Now it needs a big artisan to top it off.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 00:54:38 »
Now it needs a big artisan to top it off.

Busgamer/idea23 had some glow in the dark caps on MD recently. Not sure what else is being worked on.

Offline ttot

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 02:35:25 »
I bought a wooden case + pcb, and and I will definitely take aluminum one. Blue or orange, I have not decided yet.
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 02:14:40 »
I bought a wooden case + pcb, and and I will definitely take aluminum one. Blue or orange, I have not decided yet.

That's great. I'll be taking some pictures of the anodized colors early next week, so hopefully that will help you decide. I personally love the blue color, it really pops. The orange is a little more on the burnt-orange side.

Offline ttot

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 13:48:53 »

That's great. I'll be taking some pictures of the anodized colors early next week, so hopefully that will help you decide. I personally love the blue color, it really pops. The orange is a little more on the burnt-orange side.

Great. I will wait for photos of the samples.
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:57:23 »
Great news! I was able to secure lower pricing on the wood cases, so the 2u case has dropped by $10, the 3u case by $15, and the 4u case by $25!! Existing orders will be refunded the difference when pre-orders close. At 25 orders (per case), the price for each will drop by another $5. 

Great. I will wait for photos of the samples.

Anodizing pictures are up for the ones I have available. I'm still working to get samples for rose gold and violet.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
Re: [GB] Wood, aluminum, and BRASS cases for the Big Switch - PRICE DROP
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:43:58 »
Last day for pre-order pricing on wood cases. Brass and aluminum extended one week, until May 25th.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:51:42 »
Last day to pre-order aluminum and brass cases. Only 3 spots remaining for the brass cases, don't miss out.

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 22:47:43 »
Any updated news on this one?

Offline Starius

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 22:52:22 »
I just got my 1-Key wood case in the mail today!  :thumb:

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 15:09:21 »
Got mine too but I'm having some problems actually putting it together.  I assume that the little wooden pegs are supposed to go through the acrylic middle layer and connect the top to the bottom, but I just can't get mine to fit.  The pegs are too wide for the holes...is there some trick to this?

Offline Starius

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 16:16:52 »
Got mine too but I'm having some problems actually putting it together.  I assume that the little wooden pegs are supposed to go through the acrylic middle layer and connect the top to the bottom, but I just can't get mine to fit.  The pegs are too wide for the holes...is there some trick to this?

I haven't tried assembling mine yet, but you could try lightly sanding the pegs bit by bit, checking periodically for fit.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 18:47:46 »

It's a tight fit, but it should go through. You might try putting it together without the acrylic first, as that will compress the end of the dowel slightly which should help get it through. I have forced a few and haven't broken one yet, but if you have any problems let me know.

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 18:52:01 »

Which one are you interested in?

The 1u wood cases have shipped with the exception of 2 or 3 that were waiting on a PCB. I will be shipping those on Monday.

The 2u, 3u, and 4u wood cases are expected to be completed by the end of this week. I will most likely get them next week and hopefully get them shipped before I am out of town the following week.

The aluminum and brass cases have been delayed, but ultimately this will be a good thing. I had some issues with manufacturing, so I have had to change things up. I should have news to share on that front early next week, but exciting things are coming soon. I will be sending an email to all of those who purchased these either today or tomorrow. My apologies for not getting that out sooner.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 20:57:01 »

It's a tight fit, but it should go through. You might try putting it together without the acrylic first, as that will compress the end of the dowel slightly which should help get it through. I have forced a few and haven't broken one yet, but if you have any problems let me know.

That might work...if I could get the pegs into the wooden base.  But they don't fit there either...

Seriously I think I'm just going to have to sand these down or something.  I really can't get this together at all.

Offline ttot

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:47:52 »
The aluminum and brass cases have been delayed

Its sad. I was hoping to see the final result, and decide with their order. But I do not lose hope!

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 18:44:34 »

Which one are you interested in?

The 1u wood cases have shipped with the exception of 2 or 3 that were waiting on a PCB. I will be shipping those on Monday.

The 2u, 3u, and 4u wood cases are expected to be completed by the end of this week. I will most likely get them next week and hopefully get them shipped before I am out of town the following week.

The aluminum and brass cases have been delayed, but ultimately this will be a good thing. I had some issues with manufacturing, so I have had to change things up. I should have news to share on that front early next week, but exciting things are coming soon. I will be sending an email to all of those who purchased these either today or tomorrow. My apologies for not getting that out sooner.

I placed an order for one of the aluminum cases, so just waiting for an update.

Offline befbef

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:57:08 »
Any updates for the Big Series 2-Key Case?

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 08:34:53 »
Anymore info on the delayed aluminum cases?

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 08:41:02 »
Or information on the wooden cases would be nice. I think the latest news was that they'd be shipped out a week ago or so?
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 18:00:38 »
My apologies for the lack of communication. I have been working to get everything sorted out and didn't realize how much time had actually passed.

The aluminum Big Series cases have finally begun production. The machining should be completed this week, and the anodizing next week. They should begin shipping the week of the 20th. Brass cases will be machined while the aluminum cases are anodized, so should ship the week of the 20th as well.

I have the wood cases. Due to some miscalculations, there a few missing LEDs. The remaining LEDs will be here Monday, so I will get those soldered and shipped once they arrive. I am working to get all of those shipped out by mid week or sooner (August 6-8th).

Offline MatchstickMan

Re: [GB] Big Switch Wood, Aluminum, and Brass Cases - Update on shipping dates
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 14:15:28 »
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to get my 3u case!
Current Projects:

Offline Starius

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 22:19:25 »
I don't know if this is the proper thread I should ask this, but I just put mine together today.  I'm a QMK newbie though.... been following a youtube tutorial, but Im wondering if Im missing something for the Bigseries here.  The QMK Toolbox recognizes the Bigswitch when I plug it in, but when I try to flash the firmware it says
!There are no devices available. 
Am I missing something simple? 
Am I using the wrong microcontroller setting? (I think I tried all 4 things listed there.)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 23:56:44 »
I don't know if this is the proper thread I should ask this, but I just put mine together today.  I'm a QMK newbie though.... been following a youtube tutorial, but Im wondering if Im missing something for the Bigseries here.  The QMK Toolbox recognizes the Bigswitch when I plug it in, but when I try to flash the firmware it says
Am I using the wrong microcontroller setting? (I think I tried all 4 things listed there.)

Did you make sure to press the reset button on the PCB before programming?

Offline Starius

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 07:51:44 »

Did you make sure to press the reset button on the PCB before programming?

I did not know there was a reset button. And now I do.  And now it works.
Thank you sir, you are a saint.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:59:28 by Starius »

Offline MatchstickMan

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 08:38:18 »
How's it looking on those wood cases? I haven't received a tracking notice for my 3u yet.
Current Projects:

Offline woodkeys

• WoodKeys.click
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 11:08:01 »
How's it looking on those wood cases? I haven't received a tracking notice for my 3u yet.

I got some of them shipped out last week, but I'm still working on getting the rest packed. I forgot to account for being gone Thurs-Mon. I will have the remainder shipped out by tomorrow.

Progress

Offline MatchstickMan

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:56:02 »
Fantastic!
Current Projects:

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 09:38:09 »
Can we get an update on the aluminum cases?

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 22:11:09 »