Author Topic: [IC] geekhack key chains and vinyl stickers! (updated with more pictures!)  (Read 14571 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Yes to all :D Please :D
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
I'd love some geekhack stickers as much as the next guy, but am I the only one that thinks GHs logo is absolutely terrible, ugly and tasteless?

Meanwhile at OTD..

Show Image

Maybe an IBM type logo would work for GH.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
I would REALLY like an acrylic coaster though...

Offline Asininity

I got some orange and black acrylic in the mail today. In the next few days I'll get out and make some two layered key chains :thumb:.

I'm definitely in for some vinyl stickers.

I like these:

Show Image

and these:

Show Image

Any particular sizes you would be interested in?

I would REALLY like an acrylic coaster though...

I'll see what I can come up with!

I'd love some geekhack stickers as much as the next guy, but am I the only one that thinks GHs logo is absolutely terrible, ugly and tasteless?

Meanwhile at OTD..

Show Image

Maybe an IBM type logo would work for GH.

I wonder how that would look. I might just have to make one and see!

Offline Skuloth

I'm definitely in for some vinyl stickers.

I like these:

Show Image

and these:

Show Image

Any particular sizes you would be interested in?

Somewhere around 1 inch by 5 inch for the first and I'm not entirely sure for the circle.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
This is a file with the name and the abbreviation in the IBM style logo.

Offline Skuloth

It may just be me, but that is fairly difficult to read.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Yeah, thats what I also thought, maybe if the lines were a bit thicker

Offline Asininity

Yeah, thats what I also thought, maybe if the lines were a bit thicker

Maybe. Even then I don't think the full name would look all that great.

Offline Asininity

With some acrylic finally here I was finally able to make a two layer acrylic key chain.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
With some acrylic finally here I was finally able to make a two layer acrylic key chain.

Show Image

Show Image

That looks great! :thumb:
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Asininity

Show Image

Show Image

That looks great! :thumb:

Thanks!

That's about it for designs. I am going to allow the option to have custom text on the back of the GH two layer key chain though. So hopefully I can get this show on the road soon!

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
Do you think you could add a metal eyelet to these? It would make it so much more sturdy.

Show Image

Show Image

IMO eyelets won't improve the strength at this size of hole to be worth it.  You'd need to increase the area of the leather around the hole to accommodate the eyelet anyways, plus small eyelets are themselves pretty flimsy.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Asininity

Do you think you could add a metal eyelet to these? It would make it so much more sturdy.

Show Image

Show Image

IMO eyelets won't improve the strength at this size of hole to be worth it.  You'd need to increase the area of the leather around the hole to accommodate the eyelet anyways, plus small eyelets are themselves pretty flimsy.

Much obliged. Always fantastic advice about leather!

Also, I went ahead and ordered some leather. Should be here by weeks end!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name

Show Image

Show Image

Much obliged. Always fantastic advice about leather!

Also, I went ahead and ordered some leather. Should be here by weeks end!

Good points. I guess when they are so small they just fall off and don't really hold onto the leather. Regardless I'm looking forward to this.  :thumb:

Offline Asininity

After the group buy is completed I've considered going back and trying some new designs and playing with dyes, eyelets, new materials, and more stitching. Unfortunately in regards to the GB not overburdening myself is important.

On the bright side I should have pricing and selection all figured out in the next couple of days.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
After the group buy is completed I've considered going back and trying some new designs and playing with dyes, eyelets, new materials, and more stitching. Unfortunately in regards to the GB not overburdening myself is important.

On the bright side I should have pricing and selection all figured out in the next couple of days.

Good idea. I think it's a safe bet to really gauge everybodys interest. Plus, you may have returning customers for round 2.  ;D

Offline Asininity

Good idea. I think it's a safe bet to really gauge everybodys interest. Plus, you may have returning customers for round 2.  ;D

Maybe! I haven't even considered a second round.

I've considered opening a thread in the artisan section later down the road.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Forget the second round, I need the first round to start already!

Offline Asininity

Hopefully I'll have the thread open next week. Leather will be arriving here soon. I'll hopefully make a order of vinyl as well in the upcoming week. This should help with turnaround.

Offline Skuloth

Any news on when things will be available for sale?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Asininity

I apologize for the wait. My schedule has been hectic with midterms, papers, and some personal affairs. I don't want to start a GB until I am confident that when the invoices are paid I will be able to get right into production. However, I am discussing with hashbaz about making a thread in the artisan or classifieds forum and going at this a little differently. Either way, I hope to have stuff finalized this weekend including prices.

Right now I am finalizing the best method to produce the vinyl. I have received 1 square foot of brown and 1 square foot of tan leather. This may or may not be enough but if I need more I will purchase more. I have a square foot of orange and black acrylic. Again, if I need more I'll order it. I have some clear acrylic left and I can purchase more if needed locally.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
I apologize for the wait. My schedule has been hectic with midterms, papers, and some personal affairs. I don't want to start a GB until I am confident that when the invoices are paid I will be able to get right into production. However, I am discussing with hashbaz about making a thread in the artisan or classifieds forum and going at this a little differently. Either way, I hope to have stuff finalized this weekend including prices.

Right now I am finalizing the best method to produce the vinyl. I have received 1 square foot of brown and 1 square foot of tan leather. This may or may not be enough but if I need more I will purchase more. I have a square foot of orange and black acrylic. Again, if I need more I'll order it. I have some clear acrylic left and I can purchase more if needed locally.

Sounds like you're being smart about it. Definitely good to think things through and manage everyone's expectations accordingly. Very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Offline nova779

When I filled out the interest check I thought I would have no interest in the leather but the more that I am going through the thread and seeing the mockups I am falling in love.

Offline Coconut

• otaku4lyfe
The quality of these keychains looks ahhmaaazing  :thumb:
I would definitely buy a few variations of these!

"a whole coconut is a strong coconut" -paicrai

Offline Asininity

Update: I should have vinyl all figured out sometime next week. I used to work at a sign shop and asked my old boss about quotes for making a bunch of vinyl stickers and maybe working something out with him. Due to some unforeseen consequences we haven't had the time to talk over quotes. Working with him and doing the labor may be less expensive than purchasing all of the materials myself.

I finally purchased some better quality wood for laser etching. Other than the vinyl I have a little bit of all the materials that are needed. For a few reasons I'm considering making a thread in the artisan section and going through there. This is primarily due to my schedule. Of course, everyone who has expressed interest would be first in line. If I went this route I would spend a week or two building up some stock. I would most likely make everything in batches, excluding the custom orders. This would also allow me to play around and try new things. The final prices would remain the same either way. Though I have not fully decided on this route.

Edit: I will sort everything out after April 5th.

Sounds like you're being smart about it. Definitely good to think things through and manage everyone's expectations accordingly. Very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Thank you. I feel more confident in my decision.

When I filled out the interest check I thought I would have no interest in the leather but the more that I am going through the thread and seeing the mockups I am falling in love.

I'm glad you like it! I'm thinking of tackling this in a somewhat different manner because there's some other ideas that I'm interested in trying in the future.

The quality of these keychains looks ahhmaaazing  :thumb:
I would definitely buy a few variations of these!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:48:16 by Asininity »

Offline Asininity

Update: Still waiting for information regarding vinyl...

I've started playing with the materials that will be used.

Here's the wood before staining:

After:

Tan leather

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2015, 09:12:25 by Asininity »