Author Topic: ALPS colourful keycaps - do they exist  (Read 4931 times)

Offline divaschematic

ALPS colourful keycaps - do they exist
« on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 07:55:22 »
I just bought my first V60 (60% Matias Quiet Click Keyboard), yippee!

Anyway, yippee turned to wah because I now see that Matias ALPS caps are rare.  Does anyone do anything colourful anywhere?  I see Tao Hao do a couple of sets but compared to everything else they make they're as dull as a mud puddle.  I demand colour.  Is there any?

Offline FloFoer94

Re: ALPS colourful keycaps - do they exist
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 08:15:47 »
Would want to know that too.

Apparently some group buys feature alps compatibility. But of course much rarer than mx. For example this guy https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6stqm4/the_game_has_changed/ has a super nice DSA Lightcycle ALPS board.

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 09:55:00 »
The selection for Alps keycaps certainly is very limited.  Taihao makes some doubleshot ABS keycaps.  You can find them on Aliexpress.

Also, Matias themselves sells keysets on their site.

Signature Plastics recently released an Alps version of DSA Granite, but theyre currently sold out of the main pack, so only the extra modifier packs are in stock on Pimpmykeyboard.com

Offline divaschematic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 09:59:55 »
I decided to swap my order before it shipped and went with the http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/uk-v60-vintage-60percent-tactile-keyboard.asp instead.

I can add the Miami Tao Hao set I already have or do something fancier with them when I have the money.  I have sacrificed the slightly better (someone said) key switches for colourfulness. 

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 10:06:50 »
I have sacrificed the slightly better (someone said) key switches for colourfulness.

I would definitely agree that its a better switch.  Alps/Matias tactile switches are better than any MX tactile switch.  The keycap selection is the only downside for me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 11:50:53 »
When and if you can ever find any PBT caps you could dye them.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg664178#msg664178
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kriminal

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 13:29:14 »
hmmm I do have a couple alps boards still...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 19:18:24 »
I'll just leave these here:

Custom POS caps on Unitek K-258:

Tai Hao Dolch:

Also, I know a guy who did a group buy:

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps