Author Topic: Who prefers Cherry Greens to Buckling Springs?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline K3NN3Y

Who prefers Cherry Greens to Buckling Springs?
« on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:57:17 »
I have a Model M, and I love the thing to death, but I prefer my Cherry greens more. I think the sound on the Model M is maybe a tad better, but I like the heaviness of the greens over the M. It feels like typing on feathers on the M now. :D Does anyone else share the same opinion?

Offline Altis

Re: Who prefers Cherry Greens to Buckling Springs?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 11:06:37 »
I like both in their own way.

Have you tried some of the tactile alps boards? You might well like those if you like MX Green.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 11:14:24 »
I have a Model M, and I love the thing to death, but I prefer my Cherry greens more. I think the sound on the Model M is maybe a tad better, but I like the heaviness of the greens over the M. It feels like typing on feathers on the M now. :D Does anyone else share the same opinion?

I disagree.  Different M's can feel lighter and stiffer.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 12:00:03 »
Never felt a Model M I liked and I can't stand modern Greens and Blues.  The only clicky switches I've ever tried that were okay were Model F, the Blues from my Dolch Pac, and click modded Orange Alps.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 17:52:42 »
I'm a fast and furious slam typer. I also happen to really enjoy clicky switches. Right now I have blues, but I can't find any serious complaints about greens other than my fingers getting tired repeatedly pressing the larger keys. Buckling springs I just never much liked.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline Altis

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:07:45 »
Never felt a Model M I liked and I can't stand modern Greens and Blues.  The only clicky switches I've ever tried that were okay were Model F, the Blues from my Dolch Pac, and click modded Orange Alps.

Have you tried NMB Hi Tek Space Invaders?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:09:33 »
Heresy! You have angered the buckling spring gods...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:19:10 »
I'm a fast and furious slam typer. I also happen to really enjoy clicky switches.
Buckling springs I just never much liked.

That is a very odd statement.  You must have used one that needed serious repair.  Those two statements are very contradicting.  Hard to believe to be honest.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:28:06 »
I agree that it's odd. Maybe he doesn't like the shorter key travel on the Ms? I really like it myself.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:39:44 »
I dont like clicky switches, but I prefer MX green to Bucking spring.  Bucking spring is just not for me

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 19:39:49 »

Have you tried NMB Hi Tek Space Invaders?

Not the clicky ones.  I have a tactile and a pair of linear boards.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:35:12 »
I haven't used a board with greens but I have to say I love my Model F more than I loved my MX Blues despite the much higher actuation force.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:40:53 »
I preferred my greens to my model ms for about a year. Now it's the other way around.

Calus, greens make a model m feel like blues. :p
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:43:37 »
I preferred my greens to my model ms for about a year. Now it's the other way around.

Yeah, but you're still comparing toys to toys.  The Model F is a fully mature keyboard that has some heft to it.  It's a tool, not a toy.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:45:38 »

Yeah, but you're still comparing toys to toys.  The Model F is a fully mature keyboard that has some heft to it.  It's a tool, not a toy.

Oh, nubbs...you...YOU...

I need to try an F sometime.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 20:57:14 »

Your opinion obviously reflects your personality nubbinator.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:10:18 »

Your opinion obviously reflects your personality nubbinator.

Next, think about moving to the big leagues with a Model F.

I'm just saying .....

Once you go F, you can't go back.

Once you go F, you can't go back.

This is true.  Everything else just feels cheap in comparison.

My choice is 4704 107-key Model F, since Model F BS is the best and that board has the most compatible layout (of the boards I own).  If I had an F-122, I might have said that.   :)

The switches feel lighter and crisper, yes. But they also have a more lively, poppy quality beyond that. It's a subtle difference, when I first tried it I was a bit underwhelmed. But within a week I found it hard to go back to the M because it felt muddy and lifeless by comparison.

First, model F is worth much more than the model M because they are better (capacitive and nkro = feel better and perform better).

Your keyboard is very common, and not particularly desirable. The Model F is much rarer and has higher demand, because model F switches are nicer to type on, the keyboard has a metal bottom, and it can be very easily rearranged to standard ANSI layout.

There's a few differences...

In some people's opinion, including mine, the Fs are sweeter to type on.
The Fs are slightly noisier.
The Fs have NKRO.

yah, they're right, F feels better

also, nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( buy my board waaaaa

There might be people who prefer the feel of Model M's over Model F's, but I don't know of any.

If you once tried F, you won't go back to M. Yes, it's really that good.

Yup, I guess it's just my opinion...
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:14:52 by nubbinator »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:16:01 »
Yep.  Your opinion makes all the difference in the world.  I am sure everyone here appreciates it too.  We all would like to know, honestly, how many other "toys" are in your collection?  Hmm?
You actually contradict yourself.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:18:29 »
I love all clicky switches
Currently using a clicky white alps in the rotation, but for me green and BS clicks are two different stuff

Have you tried white switch? It's also satisfyingly nice but try to find the one with consistent clicks (which would take time and effort)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:04:41 »
My daily drivers are a m at work and f at home.  So nice to type on.  I would like to try greens sometime, but I seriously doubt they could live up to BS awesomeness.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 23:52:18 »
You need to try them. They are my favorite Cherry switch...they are no BS doe.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 02:55:29 »
I am the opposite.

MX greens seem so light and clicky in comparison to buckling spring.

BS has a deeper clackity clack sound, and the feel of those little springs buckling under each keycap doesn't compare to the little Cherry MX green clickety click.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 04:46:00 »
I'm a fast and furious slam typer. I also happen to really enjoy clicky switches.

That is a very odd statement.  You must have used one that needed serious repair.  Those two statements are very contradicting.  Hard to believe to be honest.

Maybe it wasn't in too great of shape when I used it. Belongs to the Walmart where I'm employed. I'm not assigned to that area so I don't see much of it, but when I have I noticed the key presses sounded like when I brush a spring loaded doorstop with my leg. It was disgusting. I can't even go into how awkward it felt to type on it. Something was off in that instead of being crisp and clean like the MX switches I know, it was rough and like the whole thing wobbled internally (as with the springy doorstop). I could've had a bad experience with a crappily maintained keyboard. I am used to longer key travel distance though since that was mentioned.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 05:16:51 »

Maybe it wasn't in too great of shape when I used it. Belongs to the Walmart where I'm employed. I'm not assigned to that area so I don't see much of it, but when I have I noticed the key presses sounded like when I brush a spring loaded doorstop with my leg. It was disgusting. I can't even go into how awkward it felt to type on it. Something was off in that instead of being crisp and clean like the MX switches I know, it was rough and like the whole thing wobbled internally (as with the springy doorstop). I could've had a bad experience with a crappily maintained keyboard. I am used to longer key travel distance though since that was mentioned.

One of my full sized Model M keyboards needs a bolt mod.  One side of the keyboard is tight and crisp, and a joy to use.  The other side feels terrible, like it is about to fall apart or something, and the clicks are not at all crisp.

Perhaps you were unlucky enough to find a keyboard in complete need of a bolt mod.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 09:14:11 »
This is like comparing Topre to Cherry, just silliness. I like Cherry, Topre, and naturally BS, but they each have such a unique feel I try to to cross compare them, simply compare them in their own respected parent categories.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 13:23:26 »

Wore out... broken rivets on the M im sure. That's pretty funny wal mart is using the ol M. I remember the M's I learned to type on in like 5th grade. Playing typing games... and the time in between spent repeatedly actuating the keys slowly feeling/hearing the 'click- ..TANG, click- ..TANG' of the spring door sound haha.

I can also remember a couple of the keyboards being smaller ;) . I still don't have an M kb T.T

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:33:50 »
Not me. Model F is #1.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:39:23 »
Not me. Model F is #1.

Shh, saying that in this thread is likely to get you called names.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 14:45:24 »
Not me. Model F is #1.

They can call me names all they want, but F is sweeeeeet. But I would like to try greens to compare.

But F is still the GOD switch, until I find/try a better one to receive this title (maybe beamspring?)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 15:35:07 »
Not me. Model F is #1.

Awww, but I just wanted to make your honorary list of Model F elitist jerks. :-[

No need for name calling...

you elitist jerk <3
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 16:30:31 »
Not me. Model F is #1.

beamspring number 1
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:11:40 »
I haven't tried Greens, but I love my Model F which is superior to the M, and I prefer the M to Blues. I think a major component for me is that BS (and ALPS) have a drop in weight after the click, while blues do not. On the linear side, I prefer reds to black.

Since greens are just heavier blues and there's no weight drop in Cherry switches, I don't see myself liking them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 March 2015, 17:13:23 by Jotokun »
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 23:57:54 »
I haven't tried Greens, but I love my Model F which is superior to the M, and I prefer the M to Blues. I think a major component for me is that BS (and ALPS) have a drop in weight after the click, while blues do not. On the linear side, I prefer reds to black.

Since greens are just heavier blues and there's no weight drop in Cherry switches, I don't see myself liking them.

There's weight drop in cherry switches.  Try MX clears or the 105g tactile greys.  Weight gets much heavier after the bump.
There's even an extremely rare clicky grey (tactile and cilcky like mx green and blues, heavy spring and increasing weight like clears/greys..)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:19:12 »
That wasn't the argument at all.  I never argued the F to the M.  You can resume your "superiority", don't let me get in the way of that.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:58:09 »
beamspring number 1
Beam spring keyboards have much nicer keycaps, but I prefer typing on a Model F.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 00:59:42 »

That wasn't the argument at all.  I never argued the F to the M.  You can resume your "superiority", don't let me get in the way of that.
Why do you care so much what other people think of Model M keyboards?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 01:14:38 »

Why do you care so much what other people think of Model M keyboards?

Good question.  Maybe I shouldn't.  Thanks.