Author Topic: Adaptor for pre-ADB NeXT keyboards  (Read 1173 times)

Offline ed_avis

Adaptor for pre-ADB NeXT keyboards
« on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 05:11:38 »
http://learn.adafruit.com/usb-next-keyboard-with-arduino-micro

This uses an Arduino programmable microcontroller to adapt an old NeXT keyboard (the cool-looking black keyboard, using ALPS switches I believe, that came with the original NeXT cube) to USB.

I believe that the Teensy microcontroller will run Arduino code, so it suggests that Soarer's Teensy-based converter could also have a mode to handle NeXT keyboards.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Adaptor for pre-ADB NeXT keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 23:21:38 »
It says it'll work with an "ardruino micro", which uses an atmega 24U4. Isn't that the same as the teensy? If so, I imagine they should be pretty compatible.

Thanks for posting.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 23:48:56 »
The teensy is the ATMega 32u4 just like all of the Korean boards as well.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:49:55 »
The ATMega 32U4 is cross-compatible with the 24U4 so no surprise. And yes, the black version NeXT boards are Alps complicated or simplified white switches exclusively. I've never seen anything else.
I'm waiting to see someone do an adapter with these kits from Cypress since they're FAR more available than Teensy and arguably much more powerful.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.