Author Topic: Reynolds + Reynolds Wyse ASCII keyboard Restoration  (Read 2559 times)

Offline whiffysole

Reynolds + Reynolds Wyse ASCII keyboard Restoration
« on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 23:38:22 »
Hello everyone!
In the past few days I've restored a Reynolds + Reynolds rebranded Wyse ASCII keyboard I found relatively cheaply online.
It uses Vintage Cherry MX Blacks (The PCB is dated as 1985) with thin doubleshot ABS keycaps.
It also has a monstrous 10u spacebar that looks absolutely ridiculous.
There's a Teensy 2.0 wired up inside using a guide from Scott Paladin (https://www.scottpaladin.com/home/2018/3/28/wyse-ascii-terminal-keyboard-project-n)
And code from this user on DT (https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/wyse-ascii-teensy-tmk-t19298.html)
Here's the process I went through to clean this thing up.

How I received it.

More

Keycaps removed.

More

My first round of cleaning was a hard scrubbing with rubbing alcohol. That got a lot of the dirt and grime off.

More

My second round for removing the big smudges is the baking soda and moist paper towel technique. The baking soda acts as an abrasive and makes quick work of scuffs.

More

Then I realized there was rust near one of the switches after cleaning the mounting plate. Luckily this was an easy fix by desoldering one switch and removing the evil rust with some steel wool. I just covered it up with some black sharpie because I'm lazy :p

More

After this whole process I decided it would be fun to convert this to USB. This was a seriously frustrating experience due to never doing this before, but it worked out in the end and now I have a beautiful 33 year old keyboard.

More

This log was typed using this Wyse :thumb:
Overall this was a fun experience and I'm excited to try again in the future.
Thanks for checking this out! Feel free to ask questions below. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2018, 23:44:54 by whiffysole »

Offline whiffysole

Re: Reynolds + Reynolds Wyse ASCII keyboard Restoration
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 23:45:32 »
Whoops, seems I linked the pictures wrong. That should fix it.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 13:21:08 »
Nice job!

(lol, the | is above the 1 on my current keyboard instead of ! so had to fix it!)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:36:19 by OldIsNew »

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 19:50:00 »
I must say I'm a bit annoyed. This is a really nice keyboard project - didn't anyone else have a comment?
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2018, 19:56:42 by OldIsNew »

Offline whiffysole

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 20:30:32 »
I must say I'm a bit annoyed. This is a really nice keyboard project - didn't anyone else have a comment?

Thanks! Yeah I'm a little frustrated no one else left a comment. Having some pointers on how to improve future projects and posts would be nice. It was fun though, definitely looking forward to my next find.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 17:13:02 »

Thanks! Yeah I'm a little frustrated no one else left a comment. Having some pointers on how to improve future projects and posts would be nice. It was fun though, definitely looking forward to my next find.

For sure don't get discouraged! I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like the GH community doesn't take much interest in vintage keyboard restorations anymore.  If you can, I  would suggest posting this at DeskThority, either in the workshop or the keyboard section - I think you might get some useful feedback there.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 07:48:20 »
Agree on it being a nice resto job.
Got to love the pre ansi/iso layout with that “Wyse 60” and it’s funky key placements especially that ctrl/caps lock arrangement.
Obviously cntrl was used more often than Caps Lock at the time
Nice bonus having a Function key as you then have easy access to layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline whiffysole

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:17:24 »

For sure don't get discouraged! I'm not sure what happened, but it seems like the GH community doesn't take much interest in vintage keyboard restorations anymore.  If you can, I  would suggest posting this at DeskThority, either in the workshop or the keyboard section - I think you might get some useful feedback there.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see about getting it up over there and updating my review after using this board for awhile.

Agree on it being a nice resto job.
Got to love the pre ansi/iso layout with that “Wyse 60” and it’s funky key placements especially that ctrl/caps lock arrangement.
Obviously cntrl was used more often than Caps Lock at the time
Nice bonus having a Function key as you then have easy access to layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, I love these old layouts. They're super fun to use and look great too ;)
I actually am starting to prefer the swapped Ctrl and Caps keys. It's actually gotten me heavily into the UNIX layout, and my upcoming 60% build will be using my adaptation of the UNIX layout. I also really like having the delete key closer to backspace.