Author Topic: Anyone into Audiobooks??  (Read 19581 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Anyone into Audiobooks??
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:03:42 »
So I've realized I enjoy listening to something other than music on my daily commute.

I've went through a few audiobooks that lean towards the self help side of things but am considering branching out.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for audiobooks you really enjoyed?

I also have $10 in credit at audible I need to use.  ???

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Re: Anyone into Audiobooks??
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:07:59 »
Ohh! I like audiobooks!

I especially enjoy when the author reads their own material. "Consider the Lobster and Other Short Stories" by David Foster Wallace is a favorite of mine! It's on audible.
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:10:01 »
The Dresden Files are expertly done by the guy who played Spike on Buffy.

If you like that genre, that is.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:14:03 »
Audiobooks really help me deal with my stupid 90 min commute to/from work. I would definitely keep an eye on Humble Bundle in case they do another audio bundle - got the Hunger Games trilogy unabridged for $15, along with some other stuff I haven't listened to. So far I've just been listening to entertaining fiction stuff since I still want to pay attention to my driving.

I really loved the Diamond Age (and Snowcrash) by Neal Stephenson. I actually bootlegged it at first, was so confused but still enjoying it, then bought the real deal once I had some change to spare and realized my bootleg version was all out of order, hence my confusion :))
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:17:57 »
Audiobooks are a huge part of my reading now. Some days, I have to drive a sales route as part of my job, and I've gone through more than a few books while on the road.

Do you like Wil Wheaton's voice? Three that I've listened to have him as narrator. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Redshirts by John Scalzi, and Homeland by Cory Doctorow. I enjoyed all of those.

Also, I can recommend Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes. It's read by the actor Will Patton.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:37:45 »
I tried some out over the years.. but they read quite slowly.. It would be nice for the first 10 minutes, but then you're just like, oh hurry up..

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:46:56 »
I was a little into audiobooks way back in college.. autobiographies can be really good, and horror is fun when driving at night. I remember I liked these few out of the ones I've ever listened to:

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
My Life by Bill Clinton
John Dies at the End by David Wong

Offline moongloom

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:21:23 »
I would recommend The Teaching Company lecture series if you haven't heard them before.  They have college professors record a set of 30 minute lectures on a topic(usually 12 or 24).  They are perfect for the morning commute.  There are a lot of different topics, but I mostly listen to the history courses.   

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 00:27:03 »
Also, not an audiobook, but something to listen to on your commute:

No Agenda Podcast

;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:52:33 »
^^  I'll check this out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 20:08:40 »
So I've realized I enjoy listening to something other than music on my daily commute.

I've went through a few audiobooks that lean towards the self help side of things but am considering branching out.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for audiobooks you really enjoyed?

I also have $10 in credit at audible I need to use.  ???

I enjoyed The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and also Star Wars (The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and Episodes 4-6).  There are various Star Trek audio books that I'm currently listening to.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 08:36:38 »
I'm on a one book a month subscription to Audible, really starting to love audio books. Never been a big reader but having a 20x2 min walk to work every day and doing the dishes its just perfect. Can just about fit in one book a month and for like £7/month its not much money to speak of.
Last book I finished was "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", fantastic book can really recomend it.

Currently listning to "The Metamorphosis" by Kafka because I finished my monthly book a little early so I had to pick up two. Sneaking a short one in between. So far it's rather bizarre but interesting
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 21:53:45 »
 I'm getting into audiobooks again.

Anyone have any current recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:00:44 »
I've been listening to audiobooks and musicals at work.

Now, keep in mind I started the audiobook world only late last year; for years I've scoffed at them, seeing them as the lazier man's book medium. But life's too busy and I need my fixes, so alas I caved.
I started with Jim Dale's fantastic Harry Potter narrations, then went into the Thrawn trilogy. Marc Thompson is great, but man-oh-man I can't stand his Leia.

That's as far as I've gotten; I have Dune next in queue, as well as The Eye of the World.

Oh, and the NPR radio dramatizations of the first three Star Wars films by Brian Daley! Those are phenomenal. Stellar, really.
I listened to them years ago, and it was the first time I heard about how the rebels got the plans to the Death Star. This was way before Disney had the license, let alone created Rogue One.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:03:50 by romevi »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:14:17 »
Ya'll read the Gaia books , james lovelock ?

/Tp4 recommends

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:21:11 »
Ready Player One had a great audio book. Plus it was read by Wil Wheaton who is really good at that stuff.

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 11:21:31 »
How to Change Your Mind, Michael Pollan is great. I like when authors read their own books. It's an amazing array of studies.

Offline molecularronin

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 08:19:25 »
I work in a lab, and go for whole shifts without speaking to anyone. Audiobooks are AMAZING. I highly, hiiiighly recommend them! They are great for work, for working out, for relaxing, for putting on while you're cooking, whatever.

Offline haanuman

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:59:06 »
I like audiobooks and I like podcasts too. There are no specifics as to what I listen to, either some recommends me to listen to it or if I see something intriguing then I just go with the flow.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 22:02:16 »
Theres a recent "full cast" read of Neil Gaiman's American Gods by a cast that sounds a lot like the cast on the show which is really cool. Another fantastic one where the author reads it with all the right inflection and phrasing is Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.. and all the others.
-Dana

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 10:00:43 »
I tried audiobooks starting with The Wheel of Time series (probably around the same time this thread started). I couldn't get into listening to someone read. It bugs me for some reason. I made it through Eye of the World, then maybe halfway through The Great Hunt, but my mind phased out. I can follow along to some nerdy af podcasts though.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 11:50:55 »
Currently enjoying His Dark Materials trilogy plus it's read by the author Philip Pullman along with a cast.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 12:49:48 »
Currently listening to

We Are Legion: We Are Bob

And

Emperor Mollusk Versus The Sinister Brain

Audible has a big sale going on and I bought these two.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 13:20:38 »
Got my wife into audiobooks recently. She's listening to self-help ones.
I just finished the first book in the Thrawn trilogy; trying to get the next one, but going to catch up on podcasts first.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:43:20 »
One of the truck drivers in my company really likes them.

I am rarely driving far enough, alone, to get engaged, although my wife often plays podcasts when the family is taking a drive (my kids are teenagers and mature enough to understand significant concepts).

State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 10:47:01 »
Also, not an audiobook, but something to listen to on your commute:

No Agenda Podcast

;)

I listened to that on and off for nearly a decade. Fell out of the habit recently.

Used listen to a lot of audiobooks before I started reading ebooks on my phone. If work eventually gets a little less interruption filled I'll probably start listening to more of them while doing autocad.

I've got an almost 4 year old and have managed to get him into audio instead of one of those in car DVD players because he watches enough TV already. Built it up over a year and a half so now he's heard Charlottes Web, The Iron Giant, Fantastic Mr. Fox and we're starting a 5 CD edition of Pinnochio next.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 August 2018, 10:49:55 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 20:15:19 »
I listened to the andromeda strain Friday, I know I read it years ago but I'd forgotten most of it.

Also recently finished Lock In, it was good.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 13:59:19 »
What apps you all use for non-DRM books? I was switching between Smart AudioBook Player and Listen Audiobook Player for Android. Settled on Smart.
Listen has more options, but I don't listen to audiobooks enough to utilize them all.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 17:08:57 »
Just finished the 3rd bobiverse book. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 22:27:03 »
I've went off the deep end, I'm listening to about 3 books a week.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 22:48:03 »
I've went off the deep end, I'm listening to about 3 books a week.

New Ultra- ADHD medication ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 23:19:31 »
I'm listening to like 5+ podcasts a week but..  Still haven't tried any new audio books.  I'd rather read the books so that I can process my own interpretation of the inflections.

Offline postanthony3000

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:08:48 »
Currently listening to

We Are Legion: We Are Bob

I. Loved. That. Trilogy.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 03:41:13 »
The black tapes is quite good. Kinda a paranormal mockumentary

Offline Nerd

• Nerd (Aka Alex) Aka Garbage. Sister: @sintpinty
    • My Youtube channel!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 10:21:51 »
Audio books are SO much better then regular books. They give the book more of an "immersive" and "atmospheric" vibe. Personally, i find them more as a companion and they go well with reading the book, like coffee and a biscotti.
"The world's nerdiest nerd that loves Youtube."

Consider subscribing to my channel, TanookiAlex. That would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Link is: Youtube.com/c/tanookialex.

*  Subscriber Goal - 735/1000 *

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 20:05:52 »
The book I'm listening to is bugging me, every time they say usb stick it sounds like they're saying us beef stick.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 20:53:21 »
The voices don't always match what I envisaged when reading the paper versions.

And it's really annoying when two different people read books from the same series and give the characters different voices.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 07:29:55 »
The book I'm listening to is bugging me, every time they say usb stick it sounds like they're saying us beef stick.

Slim jim ftw.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:54:28 »
The voices don't always match what I envisaged when reading the paper versions.

And it's really annoying when two different people read books from the same series and give the characters different voices.

What's worse is when the readers don't plan for people speeding up tapes. The book I'm currently listening is read so the words are fast and the pauses between words is long. Speeding the book to 1.5x sounds like burst fire.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 05:45:17 »
I recently finished the themis files trilogy, quick listens and full cast, would recommend.

Offline captainkai

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 15:41:28 »
I've listed to the entirety of A Song of Ice and Fire (book series that Game of Thrones is based on) on audiobook and really enjoyed it.  The narrator for them is the late Roy Dotrice.
There's another min-series called "Tales of Dunk and Egg" set in the same universe that was a great listen as well.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:08:44 »
Audio books seem so novel and convenient; I haven't tried listening to one while driving; but in any other circumstance I just can't pay attention while simultaneously being engaged in something else. Could be the material as well.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:17:05 »
I started to listen to audiobooks during my route to work last year.
Even prefer audiobooks than music.

I listen to all Witcher audiobooks, dozens of actors, sound effects, amazing. I'm talking about polish version, I don't know if english are good as well...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 15:32:38 »
 I don't have a long commute, but I think I'll give it a shot; I have plenty of books on my "to read" list

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 21:18:10 »
Just some of the stuff I've listed to in no particular order and tmoes isn't
NBC bca

the entire Jack Reacher series

most of David Baldacci's various series

all of the Mitch Rapp series

many Ray Porter narrated books

most of John Scalzi's stuff

the Crusader One series

most of Daniel Suarez stuff

All of Greg Hurwitz Orphan  X series

All of Mark Greaney Gray Man series

Quite a few good listens from Peter Clines, Michael Crichton, Brad Meltzer

Many autobiographies and inspired type stories, military and otherwise

Some self help, negotiating, time management, etc.

Some weeks I'm doing a book a day.

Right now I've got the entire Longmire series rotating in and out with some recent audible purchases and some random cloud library books and I tried a book from chirp.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk