Author Topic: Mouse bridge users??  (Read 5669 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Mouse bridge users??
« on: Sun, 10 February 2008, 04:17:58 »
I've been contemplating purchasing a mouse bridge so that I can try some of the full-sized keyboards "out there" and still satisfy my ergonomic needs.  Anyone here use a mouse bridge on a regular basis?

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2008, 17:46:02 »
Quote from: iMav;2900
I've been contemplating purchasing a mouse bridge so that I can try some of the full-sized keyboards "out there" and still satisfy my ergonomic needs.  Anyone here use a mouse bridge on a regular basis?

Never used one, but numpads sure do suck.  BTW, this is how the original MS Natural was supposed to look:

http://www.tifaq.org/images/mskeybdp.gif

They played it safe instead.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2008, 18:52:04 »
I can't help you there. I would like a pointing stick that is small and would sit on the desk by the bottom of the keyboard near the space bar, just something small and usable.

Offline bigpook

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 April 2008, 06:55:31 »
Just passing through, great site. I too was looking at mouse bridges but came up with a better solution. I have a unicomp full size model m clone and yes, it is quite the reach to get the mouse when it is on the right side.

I am a righty so it has taken about a week to get used to it. Put the mouse on the left side. Yeah, I know, its goofy mousing but it has turned out well for me. My mouse of choice is the kensington expert, my backup is the logitech marble mouse. Both mice work in either hand.

The dynamics change in a good way for me. My right hand now sits over the inverted T and the page up/down keys and the numpad isn't so useless anymore....

Anyways, its something to try out.

PS: I realize I am posting to a very old thread, whatever....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 April 2008, 08:06:08 »
Quote from: bigpook;3927
PS: I realize I am posting to a very old thread, whatever....

No worries.  We love reviving old threads here.  ;)

Welcome to GeekHack!

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 07:11:55 »
Quote from: bigpook;3927

I am a righty so it has taken about a week to get used to it. Put the mouse on the left side. Yeah, I know, its goofy mousing but it has turned out well for me. My mouse of choice is the kensington expert, my backup is the logitech marble mouse. Both mice work in either hand.

I do that as well.  The other benefit is that it frees up the right hand for doing something useful with the numpad... like macros.  OTOH, left-handed mousing rules out a lot of high-end mice.  BTW, do you switch the mouse buttons?  (I don't.)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 09:37:29 »
I used to do that as well, it seems somehow more natural. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Offline iMav

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 12:12:44 »
This is the only external pointing device I use (along with the scroll wheel version):

Using one with my left hand is not something I'm willing to try.  Although, believe it or not, I worked with a guy in Iraq who did that very thing with this one:

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 13:44:52 »
what'd he use on the ball?  His ring finger? pinky?

I think the trackman marble wheel (pic #2) is perfection.   Gum WOULD be perfect, but trackman marble wheel IS perfection.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline bigpook

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 13:45:40 »
Yes, I did switch the mouse buttons, it seems more natural to me. But whatever works for you....

I am going on 4 days or so since I started with the left hand, at first it was awful, really. But its gotten way better since then. It really changes the way you work, the right side of the keyboard isn't such a wasteland anymore. However, YMMV.

And yes, mouse selection can make or break this. Thankfully, I use the kensington expert mouse which works with either hand. This mouse works great out of the box with ubuntu btw.

I don't game with it though. I have a logitech G5 mouse for gaming and it is a right handed mouse, as you all probably know. But I must say I am not an everyday gamer, so  its not such a big deal.

I never thought of trying it left handed( I mean really, it just doesn't seem right and you have to re-learn how to use a mouse) until I read an old thread on slashdot, seems alot of people have carpal tunnel and other  repetitive stress with the right hand that was alleviated when they switched to left-handed mousing.

Offline iMav

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 16:03:30 »
Quote from: ashort;4001
I think the trackman marble wheel (pic #2) is perfection.   Gum WOULD be perfect, but trackman marble wheel IS perfection.
THIS is a Trackman Marble Wheel:

THIS is a Trackman Wheel:

The Trackman Wheel sucks in that your ring finger doesn't naturally lay on the "right click" button.  The Trackman Marble Wheel gets the buttons right.

Offline bigpook

Mouse bridge users??
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 16:23:09 »
iMav, I have both of those and my ring finger rests straight away on the "right click" button. I do think the Trackman Marble Wheel is a better mouse as I think the drop-off is to quick on the back of the Trackman Wheel....its like the back of my hand runs out of mouse to rest on..