Author Topic: Odd Method of Lubrication  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
Odd Method of Lubrication
« on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:46:41 »
I wanted to lube my MX Browns but I didn't have the proper tools to desolder all the switches to get them open.  So I decided to try an alternate method. I pushed down the switch and it would reveal the inner switch, so through that opening I would put just a little silicon-based lubricant. I definitely noticed a great difference afterwards, so it does for sure work. My question here would be is this a legitimate method? Have other people done it like this before? If so, how come no one else really does it like this?
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (lubed)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Odd Method of Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 21:05:21 »
I believe that The_Beast lubed his switches like that once. If I remember correctly, he thought it was much better when he actually opened the switches and lubricated them instead of your method Goliath. :)

Offline Goliath

• Platinum mad.
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 21:21:33 »
Better as in more effective?
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (lubed)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 21:21:51 »
Yessir. :)

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:06:14 »
How do they differ? Like what is it about one that makes it more effective than the other?
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:07:45 »
Not sure...
* SmallFry does a Beast call.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:15:19 »
Not sure...

I did try that using a alcohol based dry lube. The alcohol would go into the switch, dry and leave a lube. film. However I found that the film soon went away and I was back to an unlubed switch. I also try a few different lubes. I like a thick grease rather than a liquid oil
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:21:45 »
I'll be dammed, it actually worked. Wow...
* SmallFry is somewhat awestruck.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:32:36 »
Not sure...

Show Image

I did try that using a alcohol based dry lube. The alcohol would go into the switch, dry and leave a lube. film. However I found that the film soon went away and I was back to an unlubed switch. I also try a few different lubes. I like a thick grease rather than a liquid oil

This....This was amazing.

Beast, did the grease work with this method or are you just commenting on what you like to lubricate your board with?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 23:52:39 »
Not sure...

Show Image

This....This was amazing.

Beast, did the grease work with this method or are you just commenting on what you like to lubricate your board with?

7 minutes, faster than average police response time (no facts to prove this, it's for comic relief)

I only tried this with the alcohol based dry lube since I knew it should have coated all surfaces. I think the grease would be too thick and the oil would require a lot to get a good coverage inside since you really only need to lube the sliders and maybe the spring
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 00:51:00 »
Yeah there have been a few others with reports like The_Beast saying the method either made the switch feel worse or it didn't do anything/wore off.

But if it works for you and you personally like the result, then all is good :) Just be careful of using some lubricants though as they may interfere with the leaf contacts inside the switch or, in the case of liquid lubricants, drip into the wrong places. Dry-film type as The_Beast mentioned is probably safest, but not necessarily the best feeling.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.