Author Topic: Let's chat about tools MEGATHREAD  (Read 5031 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Let's chat about tools MEGATHREAD
« on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 11:12:39 »
i'll start:

looking for

a) compact, mill/drill press. would like: laser sighted, accurate, smooth enough action to actually mill and just not just drill. small enough to fit in my office. don't need a lot of torque (plastics, thin aluminum only).

b) tiny shop vac.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Let's chat about tools MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:43:00 »
also the best soldering station is the hakko 888 LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:45:00 »
also the best soldering station is the hakko 888 LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

OH ME ME! I HAVE THAT ONE! But I think I like the 808 more :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:47:09 »
i think we can all agree that the 808 is the best desoldering tool that doesn't cost several million dollars

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:49:40 »
Don't try to mill with a drill press. It will work, but you'll soon find out your tolerances are messed up since a drill press doesn't have a re-enforced quill like a real mill.

As for recommendations, none lol
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:55:16 »
ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:56:50 »
ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sorry, I like wood. If you want advice on a table saw then I'm your man, but metal stuff, I'm semi-clueless

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline gnubag

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 23:58:01 »
i want a wood milling machine. because wood cases are awesome as !@#%.
maybe i will mount a router upside down to a table... a little dangerous but way cheaper.

also a cnc milling machine would be nice for making plates and a 3d printer for random keycaps and prototyping things. -> $$$

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:06:53 »
maybe i will mount a router upside down to a table... a little dangerous but way cheaper.

also a cnc milling machine would be nice for making plates and a 3d printer for random keycaps and prototyping things. -> $$$

A router table is nice, really nice. But it also limits what you can do with it. My friend has a router table and a couple hand held routers and it's really nice to have both. I think his table is 3hp router, a handle held plunge 1-3/4hp and a 1 or 3/4 hp pony router for small stuff.

You should be able to make a case will a router. A CNC router would be easier, but it could be done with a hand held.

A CNC mill would be nice, but expensive. A CNC router is much cheaper, but it can't handle metals that well (Depends on the motor used and how the frame/machine is built).

Also, 3D printers are nice, but most don't have the resolution to make really nice looking caps or a table big enough to prototype cases unless your dropping a large sum of money for one.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:07:45 »
there are a number of open source 2-axis cnc mills, and repraps aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. (i think __red__ has access to both now?)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:09:50 »
I know this will blow the budget skyhigh kawa but if you can get access to some Bridgeport mills? Aww yeah

Offline gnubag

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:12:33 »

A router table is nice, really nice. But it also limits what you can do with it. My friend has a router table and a couple hand held routers and it's really nice to have both. I think his table is 3hp router, a handle held plunge 1-3/4hp and a 1 or 3/4 hp pony router for small stuff.

You should be able to make a case will a router. A CNC router would be easier, but it could be done with a hand held.

A CNC mill would be nice, but expensive. A CNC router is much cheaper, but it can't handle metals that well (Depends on the motor used and how the frame/machine is built).

Also, 3D printers are nice, but most don't have the resolution to make really nice looking caps or a table big enough to prototype cases unless your dropping a large sum of money for one.

well i want something more simple and cheap ( i just like sandwich cases so that should be easily done with a router mounted to a table.
true that what you say about the CNC mill, i think i will stick to buy them from GB's here :)
and about 3D printers, well it depends on how much you spend on it and if it is worth it. ( i am planning to invest in one with my friends so we can get a decent one, but i have no idea if this will happen)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:20:37 »
So... anyone up for a Harbor Freight spree? :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:23:12 »

Harbor Freight GB!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:26:32 »

Those tools are ****

if you only need it once, then buy them. If not, invest money into decent tools

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:45:22 »
I know. I know. I buy all sorts of things though... mini flashlights, utility blades, and screwdrivers(especially the exotic ones).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 00:46:45 »
I know this will blow the budget skyhigh kawa but if you can get access to some Bridgeport mills? Aww yeah
hahahahahahahahahahaha

no

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Let's chat about tools MEGATHREAD
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:34:57 »
An alternative to buying some of the more pricey tools would be to check if there is a coop type place. In Austin we have a TechShop. Tools available with membership: http://www.techshop.ws/tools_and_equipment.html

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:14:46 »
An alternative to buying some of the more pricey tools would be to check if there is a coop type place. In Austin we have a TechShop. Tools available with membership: http://www.techshop.ws/tools_and_equipment.html
BRB moving to Texas.

Or CA. I guess some of the hackerspaces will have what I need (nearest hackerspace to me is the DC one)

I am now officially looking for a replacement to my soldering iron. I am blaming my iron for being cheap, broken, stupid, ugly, and now I also think it hates me.
Requirements:
1. Good
2. Replaceable tips
3. Beats me: You're the expert.

I'm also very interested in a small (tabletop?) drillpress that 'kawa is after. I will not be using it for milling, but I would like to make holes in things. I will probably end up making a pulley system mount for my handheld drill or something.

Bytheway, used drill presses show up at the local university's auction pretty regularly. They go for ~$100 and look pretty solid. They usually have some issues (old, auto return broken, etc.) but who needs safety? Does anyone know how easy it is to fix a drill press?

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:59:08 »

I built this DIY CNC router ages ago
http://thalerandthomas.org/bloxyz/index.htm

Ended up dumping more money into it than I thought I would and these days I don't even have a place to operate it. It worked great on wood, it worked alright on aluminum. It is almost impossible to build a machine with perfectly perpendicular axis. Even after a lot of time fine tuning the hardware, I still had to compensate for misalignment in software for really good precision.

My recommendation is either to get a mass produced laser cutter and build your projects in layers or use the laser cutter to make routing guides. If you are just doing a one off, it is a lot cheaper than you might think to just get a shop to cut what you need.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:01:49 »

Ended up dumping more money into it than I thought I would and these days I don't even have a place to operate it. It worked great on wood, it worked alright on aluminum. It is almost impossible to build a machine with perfectly perpendicular axis. Even after a lot of time fine tuning the hardware, I still had to compensate for misalignment in software for really good precision.

My recommendation is either to get a mass produced laser cutter and build your projects in layers or use the laser cutter to make routing guides. If you are just doing a one off, it is a lot cheaper than you might think to just get a shop to cut what you need.

Lol, I just happen to know a place to get cheap lasered parts. 1/16" all the way to 1/2" thick in stainless steel or aluminum. However, I don't have the capital (in college) or customer base to justify investing in one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but at this time I just can't :(

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:31:54 »

Lol, I just happen to know a place to get cheap lasered parts. 1/16" all the way to 1/2" thick in stainless steel or aluminum. However, I don't have the capital (in college) or customer base to justify investing in one. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but at this time I just can't :(

I remember there used to be a laser cutter that pulled the part through like a piece of printer paper and was under $1000. I can't seem to find it though. I saw it on ScreenSavers, which must have been about 10 years ago. It was given as an award to someone who made a handheld Play Station for a modding competition.

Edit: this is the decice that won the thing IIRC
Edit 2: I was wrong about who won it but found the video with the actual winner. His PC mod was extremely cool. If you are into that sort of thing, you should check it out.
The prize was a VersaLazer. It was actually $10,000 so I was off by a factor of 10. It also doesn't pull the parts through, though it does look somewhat similar to a slightly large printer. These days the price has come down a fair bit but they are still expensive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:57:32 by aviphysics »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 21:21:00 »

that router looks nice.
my local hackerspace has a pitiful machine shop, unfortunately. they have one permanent makerbot, and a 40W laser (1hr/mo for members :/). that's about it, unfortunately. if someone knows of a genuinely good hackerspace in LA, i am all ears.