Author Topic: Pin broke off on PS2 adaptor  (Read 6796 times)

Offline elmomax

Pin broke off on PS2 adaptor
« on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 16:38:13 »
One pin broke off on the 6- pin PST adaptor on one of my keyboards. Is this a repair I can make (install new PST adaptor) or do I need to ship to keyboard repair (Northgate?).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 16:53:51 »
Pictures?

It also depends on which pin - PS/2 only requires four of the six pins to be functioning, IIRC.

Offline elmomax

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 17:07:27 »
I think it is a needed pin as the keyboard caps light is flickering when I plug the board into the PC and the keyboard does not work so I suspect I  need the busted pin to get connected!

(DAN- fyi -- it is not my newly adopted keyboard with the busted pin but my old SMK 85)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 17:39:16 »
Ah, so it's a pin on the PS/2 cable?

Depends on the keyboard... if it's not a removable cable, you'll have to open the keyboard up and look for a connector in there. (And then find a cable that matches the connector.)

Offline elmomax

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 March 2008, 18:04:46 »
:(   Thnks .... this was not what I wanted to hear. The cable is not removable.  May need to send to keyboard repair..  :(

Offline ecru

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 18:09:46 »
Depending on your electrical skills you can cut off the plug and solder on a plug cut off another keyboard.  Just don't rely on the cable colours - you need to check which cable goes to which pin for the keyboard and the scrounged plug.

Offline vils

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 23:55:26 »
I've checked around a bit and found all pin numbers/layouts I'll post the links soon.
This should be an easy repair. Either replace the cable from the pcb and out or cut of the plug and replace it. Lots easier to solder on the pcb than in a mini-din plug. And cables with plugs are sold as extension cords.  Too tired too write... will get back later, it's seven in the morning here. Must go to bed.

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 00:01:06 »
Quote from: elmomax;3505
(DAN- fyi -- it is not my newly adopted keyboard with the busted pin but my old SMK 85)

Oh that sucks. Are you using a Northgate now? Do you still have the 85 you got from me?

Offline vils

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 14:24:04 »
Hi,
There are several places that sell extention cords to keyboards. Buy one of those and cut of the connector that is supposed to go into the keyboard cable, that would be the female plug. then solder on the lose cable ends to the keyboard pcb.
Or, buy a loose mini-din connector (ps/2) and cut of the broken one and solder on the new connector to the old cable.
I don't now where you live, but if it's in the US, radioshack or mcmaster-carr should carry the right connector.
One possibility should be to make a new pin (to replace the broken one with) and glue it into the hole with a conductive glue. This requires that there is a hole in the PS/2 plug where the pin used to be.

Here you can find the pin layout: http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/

I hope this help.

Good luck!

/Vils
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.