Author Topic: [IC] Koi 60 | 60% Sandwich Mount  (Read 6031 times)

Offline svshikun

[IC] Koi 60 | 60% Sandwich Mount
« on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 18:53:19 »

Hey everyone! My name is Svshikun and I have designed a sandwich mount keyboard case in the WKL layout.

I have added some cutouts on the forehead and the WKL blockers that will expose the plate, giving a modern twist to the classic WKL look.

Feel free to drop suggestions below and have a great day!

Render Gallery

Feel free to join the discord for updates!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: [IC] Koi 60 | 60% Sandwich Mount
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 18:55:46 »
Looks fine from what I see, although I would change the lighting of the renders. Looks like a flashbang rn

Offline svshikun

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:11:09 »
Looks fine from what I see, although I would change the lighting of the renders. Looks like a flashbang rn
thank you !

Offline jadenlol

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:18:34 »
why is it 270? has no weight, looks like it would be less than 150 to machine

Offline svshikun

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:24:27 »
Im not sure on the price yet, i put that price so i could see what other people would value it as. thank you for your input though

Offline jadenlol

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:26:50 »
its a decent board, i dont think you should upcharge 120-160 for it tho  :thumb:

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:28:37 »
this feels like a screen door on a submarine

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:29:27 »
Do you have a prototype? I'm curious to know what alu, color options, typing angle, width, height, front height, weight of the board. As well as if those proposed mounting points actually feel good. Because right now I'm skeptical to say the least.  The renders need to be updated, they're too bright and the metal texture used is not helping with the scene.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:30:37 »

what a waste of a comment. if a board costs $150 to machine , you'd probably pay near $300 or more because you have to factory in the cost of shipping, pcbs, plates, extras, profit margin, etc. unless he's producing this in large qtys, which I'm guessing he's not, then 270 is lower than expected. even though it doesn't look like it would sell a huge amount of units anyway. where did these price warriors show up from, especially with random nonsense estimates..

Im not sure on the price yet, i put that price so i could see what other people would value it as. thank you for your input though

So did you get actual prices from the factory yet? unless you're going to sell hundreds of these, you will probably have to charge more than $270.
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline ShadowKeebs

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:33:14 »
Board seems fine but renders really need to be fixed, and the price is astronomical. I'm not sure what margins you are taking on this, but $270 is extremely steep for a board with no engravings, weight, or complex mounting style. I also would like ic to be a bit more detailed, since there still is a lot of unknown information.

Offline jadenlol

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:34:21 »
he just lowered the price to 200, maybe im right?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:35:52 »
he just lowered the price to 200, maybe im right?

He just lowered the price to 200 because both of you are clueless. From what I'm seeing, we can already assume this IC is already going to fizzle out.

Offline svshikun

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:36:20 »
Do you have a prototype? I'm curious to know what alu, color options, typing angle, width, height, front height, weight of the board. As well as if those proposed mounting points actually feel good. Because right now I'm skeptical to say the least.  The renders need to be updated, they're too bright and the metal texture used is not helping with the scene.
I have a 3d printed prototype coming in on the 7th.. it will be followed by an aluminum one.

Offline jadenlol

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:37:29 »

what a waste of a comment. if a board costs $150 to machine , you'd probably pay near $300 or more because you have to factory in the cost of shipping, pcbs, plates, extras, profit margin, etc. unless he's producing this in large qtys, which I'm guessing he's not, then 270 is lower than expected. even though it doesn't look like it would sell a huge amount of units anyway. where did these price warriors show up from, especially with random nonsense estimates..

So did you get actual prices from the factory yet? unless you're going to sell hundreds of these, you will probably have to charge more than $270.

he lowered price to 200, he isnt including a pcb. its literally just a case and plate, i dont think thats worth 270.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:41:23 »
Can we get a picture of what the bottom looks like?

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 19:43:33 »

he lowered price to 200, he isnt including a pcb. its literally just a case and plate, i dont think thats worth 270.

that definitely changes things,but still, if the case costs 150 to machine, how on earth can he sell them for 200? I don't think this IC is reassuring at all.

150 + import taxes + extra cases + hardware + shipping will probably already make it cost 200 for himself. there's no way I'd expect this to work out with his estimate.

Offline jadenlol

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 21:07:50 »

that definitely changes things,but still, if the case costs 150 to machine, how on earth can he sell them for 200? I don't think this IC is reassuring at all.

150 + import taxes + extra cases + hardware + shipping will probably already make it cost 200 for himself. there's no way I'd expect this to work out with his estimate.

the hardware looks pretty simple from the renders, just some screws i could be wrong though. shipping is usually a seperate fee/price, i did a bit more research and found that it would be even cheaper than 150 to machine, close to 120 or 130 xd

Offline geohammy

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 21:10:54 »
A few things:
1. We need more info. What is the front height? angle? weight?
2. While looking at the first picture, you can see that there are screw holes on the bottom of the case, yet no screw holes going through the plate. How are the top and bottom case supposed to be screwed together?
3. Forced split backspace isn't a great idea, as many 60% users (myself included) like 2u backspace.
4. I may be wrong, but that USB-C cutout looks way too narrow to fit most cables.
5. The renders are blinding me.

I like the design and I think it has potential, but I would recommend going back and ironing out these issues. :thumb:
Unagi, Bias, Dolphin, XTAL

Join the YVKB Discord:
https://discord.gg/pCjDYqup6r

Offline seh0nk

• tech advantage blog
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 23:56:17 »
I agree with Geohammy, we need more info.

Layout, angle, front height are all useful pieces of info for the prospective buyer and are easy to get with the CAD models. About the price, I would not throw something random out there without analysis of factory quotes, taxes, shipping, labor, etc.

About the design: I like the idea, but given that the top piece is 7.5mm tall it might be a bit hard to see the plate through those deep and narrow holes.

About the USB port: it looks like a straight hole, which will either be too small for a cable or expose unnecessary PCB. I think you should add some inner walls that cover most of the stuff while exposing the USB port.

The back engraving looks cool, you should include a higher res/clearer render!

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the plate is missing mounting holes?

Offline shima

• keeb weeb
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 01:24:37 »
IC is kinda lacking in specific details :/
boards: anura

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 01:36:35 »
Very sleek, I like the extra with the blocker cutouts.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline svshikun

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 13:40:50 »
Very sleek, I like the extra with the blocker cutouts.
thank you !

Offline Bounty17

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 21:51:07 »
Very sleek case design! It wont really need a weight like most people thin unless it turns out to be a really light board, Price isnt too bad at 200 and I think it could have serious aftermarket value.

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 07:58:39 »
nice idea  ;)

please, reconsider the two rectangle than hold the plate.
they are really expensive to machine.
and i don't get the advantage.

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 08:07:09 »

Maybe, just maybe the hobby is not all about making profit. Just an after thought. The op probably just wasnt to share a design that they came up with. Sure there are areas in the IC that can be polished but assuming that someone is designing a keyboard with the intent to make profit and only that seems wrong. Just my two cents.

Offline P103

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 08:16:53 »
nice idea  ;)

please, reconsider the two rectangle than hold the plate.
they are really expensive to machine.
and i don't get the advantage.

The tabs won't cost that much more to machine. I assume the design here is so that they work as an alignment tab for both top case and plate, also allowing it to have less screw for the sandwich mounting. The cad is missing the screw holes for the plate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2021, 08:22:04 by P103 »