Author Topic: Mac Pro woes  (Read 1330 times)

Offline krull

Mac Pro woes
« on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 22:37:24 »
I understand that this is not the place to ask for help for technical problems. I am hoping that i can receive advice regarding where I can find help with my problem.

Soooooooooo I guess i should explain it first.

Note:This computer was purchased in 09' and it currently still runs leopard.

I recently attempted to reset the administrator password on my older Mac Pro through the console. Now it to not be able to boot past the gray apple login screen. It just sits there for a few minutes with the cog spinning, and then it decides to restart again causing an endless cycle. I have tried to boot in safe mode but that did not work.

Let me see if i can find what i entered into the console.
We boot into single user mode off the internal hard disk, then reset the target user password.
   1.   Boot into single user mode (press Command-S at power on)
   2.   Check the root filesystem first
fsck -fy
   3.   Mount up the root filesystem
mount -uw /
   4.   Load system directory services
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
   5.   Edit user information
dscl . -passwd /Users/username password (replace username with the targeted user and password with the new password)
   6.   Reboot then sign in with the new password.
reboot

So as i see it i have a 2 options:
Purchase new Install disks and reformat. (I don’t remember the exact cost of this but i believe it is about $200 for new disks.) I don’t care about the contents of the drive I did have at least enough foresight to back the drive up.

Try to fix it through the console; which is probably my first choice. I believe i have possibly screwed up the permissions.

It isn't crucial that i get this fixed right away; I have a PC that i built a few months ago.
Any help would be really appreciated
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2011, 22:39:56 by krull »
Filco Majestouch w/cherry browns, Filco Majestouch w/cherry reds, Leopold Tenkeyless w/ cherry blues (in the mail)