Author Topic: Newbie Ergo Dox Review  (Read 16323 times)

Offline fleischverpackung

Newbie Ergo Dox Review
« on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 07:47:25 »
Hi all,

after 23years of heavy keyboard use I started developing problems with my right hand and arm. I researched all kinds of ergonomic keyboards, but I write QWERTZ, so some interesting options like the https://trulyergonomic.com/estore/ were no option. The maltron clone https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2/ made sense from a design perspective, but I read a lot of negative regarding its build quality and other short comings. Also I am really into good switches and good build quality regarding keyboards.

Split Keyboard seemed to make sense. Programmable buttons also. So I tried an Ergodox.
I was really sceptical about the linear key layout, since I am quite the proficient typer.
Also I do a lot of multimedia work (3D, 2D and programming) that relies heavily on shortcuts.
But I jumped into the cold water...

And I am really happy!
The linear layout was a little bit tricky at first, especially on the lower row, but 2 weeks in my inner screaming stopped and I hit everything I want. This was the worst part.
Layers are much more easy to learn than expected. I never could touchtype the number row perfectly, but now with a numpad directly under one hand, and all relevant programming symbols under the other its a breeze. Still not very intuitive, but the muscle memory is already building up and I don't have to look at a cheat sheet any more.
The Thumb cluster and the hyper and meh keys are mostly useles imo. If you go fast and don't want to move your hands you will probably just end up using the two big thumb keys and maybe the small one next to them. But the double function keys really make up for this! ALT, STRG, BACKSPACE, TAB, SPACE and ENTER on 4 thumb-keys is a ****ing SUPERPOWER!
I never touchtyped shortcuts, always moved my hand away to the left side and then pressed. But now it's touch typing with ErgoDox!
Also if I work 3D I don't have to move my hand to the left over STRG and ALT like before.

AND it does not affect my speed on regular layouts. That's what I was most afraid of.
On the split board I'm in ergodox mode, and with hands together I'm automatically back to standard layout.

Like I said, I was really sceptical to use Ergodox for my field of application, but I can totally recommend it now!
Only flaw I could find is that there is no german key with "ß" and "?". but thats it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 07:51:55 by fleischverpackung »

Offline nevin

Re: Newbie Ergo Dox Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:20:58 »
Excellent! Glad you found something that works for you.

I was also in your same situation & been in the same job field for over 20 years. In the last year i switched to a split ortho and was skeptical initially, but now i'm kicking myself for not switching sooner. For me, this really is a game changer, and i'm using a rather large (split 5x14) ortho. I too programmed in a numpad on the right side (was never very proficient with the number row). Previous to this, i was using a 60% w/separate numpad to the right of my mouse. Think my next adventure will be of the dactyl/manuform variety if i can find a rendered shell with enough keys (...because of the shortcut issue)

Congrats!
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline vvp

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:54:30 »
Select german keyboard layout in your OS and assign the keycode (on which ß is on a standard keyboard) to some Ergodox key.

What bad reports did you read about Advantage2?

Offline fleischverpackung

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 09:31:44 »
mostly the build quality of the advantage. It's a big and flimsy piece of plastic. If you come from a filco maestouch or similar.
Will try to remap that ß

Offline hoggy

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 16:06:43 »
mostly the build quality of the advantage. It's a big and flimsy piece of plastic. If you come from a filco maestouch or similar.
Will try to remap that ß
I think you've put too much emphasis on this.  The filco boards are indeed metal plate mounted switches, but the advantage boards are excellent and we'll worth a try. 

I'm glad you found a board you like though, it can be a difficult journey for some.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0