Author Topic: Cheap Amazon Keycaps any good?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline loki993

Cheap Amazon Keycaps any good?
« on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 07:18:41 »
I have had a Leopold keyboard for some time now thats all black that Ive on and off considered getting keycaps for to add a little more....flair to it. I was looking at Mechanicalkeyboards.com and that had some decently priced set but the ones I liked were ABS and I think I prefer PBT so I started looking around to see  what else was available. Amazon popped up in a search and surprisingly they had a bunch of what I would consider downright cheap keycaps in all flavors including PBT doubleshots for around 40 bucks...which DEFINITY wasn't a thing when I first got this keyboard.

So considering how cheap some of these keysets are on Amazon compared to the more well know available, and unavailable, keysets I figure they're has to be some catch.

Are these things any good at all or am I going to be disappointed if I try any of them out and would be better off going with something more expensive and known. I mean I could probably spend up to a hundred dollars for a set, I just kinda don't want to spend the 120++ for your average GMK, DCS or similar set if I don't have to, but I also don't want something that is a huge downgrade from what I already have either just to get a different look for the keyboard.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: Cheap Amazon Keycaps any good?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 10:45:37 »
I got some Mistel PBT OEM profile keycaps off amazon for about 50 bucks, wouldn't say its the best option and I'm not exactly a fan of OEM profile but they were okay for the price and I didn't notice too many issues with them. Although I would look more at aliexpress or other vendors as amazon tends to only have overpriced genuine stuff or extremely cheap crappy keycaps

Offline Igby

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 13:41:48 »
I've ordered a few cheap sets and I've yet to be disappointed. The only keycap set that kind of disappointed me were some $80 Domikey double shots. (Not expensive, but not cheap either.) The double shot legends were a bit imprecise. Obviously I can't vouch for every supplier, but to me it seems like the "cheap OEM dye subbed keycaps" problem has been solved by most of these manufacturers.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 17:21:46 »
I'm using blank PBT caps off Amazon for my alphas and they've been great.  Not slippery, no shine or any other issues.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 22:19:41 »
I picked up a set of Akko Neons from Amazon that are excellent,had nearly everything needed for my BFO-9000.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QTTCTF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They have a few different colors and they're all doubleshot.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 15:13:09 »
I have the AKKO Neon's on my NK65, and can say they have definitely held up over the past year and have room to grow for other layouts if I want to.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 18:47:29 »
Some of the cheap Amazon keycaps are really good.  I've been very happy with quite a few cheap Amazon keycaps sets I've bought.  Quite a few of them are exactly the same ones you can get on AliExpress.