Author Topic: Model F AT foam mat  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
Model F AT foam mat
« on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 07:29:19 »
Hi, I bought a refurbished and customised Model F AT not so long ago. I quite like the metallic ping these keyboards have, so I was a bit disappointed to find the spring ping wasn't present on half of the keys, whereas the others ping slightly, and some a lot. I had a feeling it would be the replacement foam mat, so I removed it and put the keyboard back together, and it turns out that is the case. The keyboard is now very pingy, but it feels weird, rattles a lot and the sound isn't pleasant. My question is, can I use foam thinner than what came with it to stop the rattle without absorbing the pingy sound? It'd be really nice if it sounded like Chryos' Models F, which are super pingy and cool to listen to.

Offline ag36

Re: Model F AT foam mat
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:31:19 »
I don't have a model f yet but I'd say try denser, harder material first before changing thickness. Changing the form you need to open a few metal tabs every time, do it too many times it'll snap off so be careful.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:34:20 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 13:04:36 »

you need to open a few metal tabs every time, do it too many times it'll snap off so be careful.

Huh? IBM usually bent over 1 tab (top right) to lock the assemblies together, but that is not necessary. There is no reason to bend or damage the tabs.

My technique of adding a few bolts keeps everything in place laterally as well as squeezing the plates tight.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ag36

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 15:20:46 »

you need to open a few metal tabs every time, do it too many times it'll snap off so be careful.

Huh? IBM usually bent over 1 tab (top right) to lock the assemblies together, but that is not necessary. There is no reason to bend or damage the tabs.

My technique of adding a few bolts keeps everything in place laterally as well as squeezing the plates tight.

I see, thought the entire thing is hold by the tab like those takeaway food boxes. Still waiting for my F to arrive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 May 2018, 17:53:26 by ag36 »
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 16:05:13 »
Rectangular slots are cut in the bottom plate and the tabs on the underside of the top plate go through them, then the plates slide laterally in opposite directions about 5mm to make a force fit.

That sliding force fit is what makes them so hard to put back together.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 17:52:53 »
That's a really clever method to sandwich components :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:18:48 »
It puts the whole assembly in a combination of tension and compression, which is, in my opinion, the heart and soul of the stored elastic potential energy that drives the Model F's extraordinary feel. That is why I advocate for thicker and firmer mats, even though they make re-assembly more difficult.

I have always been skeptical of all the "revival" projects because I fear that they fail to reproduce all or part that critical component.

Offline ag36

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 08:35:40 »
It puts the whole assembly in a combination of tension and compression, which is, in my opinion, the heart and soul of the stored elastic potential energy that drives the Model F's extraordinary feel. That is why I advocate for thicker and firmer mats, even though they make re-assembly more difficult.

I have always been skeptical of all the "revival" projects because I fear that they fail to reproduce all or part that critical component.

I think the issue is even with original IBM documents and supplier information the material might have changed due to regulation reasons and such even the same factory is still making the same product, better solution might be supplying few different mats and chose the favorite one. Also I doubt if anyone can still remember what model f felt back then because the foam and human memory degrades over time.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 16:01:08 »
What mat do you suggest? eBay links appreciated

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 21:00:02 »
I like the "art foam" which is sold in the US for scrapbooking.

It is intended to to archival and acid-free. It is about 1/16" (1.5mm) thick and fairly firm, although it molds down to a thin layer under pressure. It is probably called "closed-cell" rather than "open-cell".