Author Topic: Are Topre really worth it?  (Read 28235 times)

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
Re: Are Topre really worth it?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:11:30 »
That's no different to modding.....??? Do you have any idea how long does it take to mod a novatouch? Hours. An the outcome is not always perfect.

I've got a novatouch and the unsilenced one is way louder than mx with orings. It was unbearable. The silenced novatouch is probably quieter, but is unusable, because it sucks.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:16:46 »
OMG YES.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 04:59:27 »
That's no different to modding.....??? Do you have any idea how long does it take to mod a novatouch? Hours. An the outcome is not always perfect.

I've got a novatouch and the unsilenced one is way louder than mx with orings. It was unbearable. The silenced novatouch is probably quieter, but is unusable, because it sucks.

Ah..I see where the confusion lies..

Novatouch is different...all of the novatouch type keyboards (Topre RGB) sound terrible and seem to be a lot louder...I haven't taken a DB to one but I can imagine that sounds worse.

Stock Topre...so in this case something like a Realforce or HHKB or even Leopold...sound different. 

Modding Topre is not hard...it is putting a thin ring around the slider...what have been the downsides?  Or buy a silenced one...

But honestly, you're comparing a board that doesn't sound anything like a normal Topre...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 20:01:55 »
Whether they are better is, as noted 50 or 60 times above, subjective.

They are nice switches and certainly worth trying.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 20:43:35 »
55g Topre is GOAT

Offline dj christian

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 04:40:45 »
people always forget that topre keyboards are intended for the japanese domestic market, and thus most prices in the west are inflated because of logistics and other import-related fees

brand new realforces/hhkbs are available starting at ~$170-175 - obviously that still isn't 'affordable' by comparison to most low-mid range options but it seems like people base their pricing off of what smartimports charges and pretend that that's the rrp topre themselves set or something.

it's incredibly easy to get used topre for very cheap in japan too, think perfectly clean 87us around the $110 mark and older standard jis stuff for even less

also if you're wearing out your abs spacebars in a month i would suggest taking a shower

That's a shame! Why doesn't Topre do as Cherry make them worldwide avaliable? Thank you all for all the answers. Funny thing this only makes this decision to get a Topre keyboard even harder.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:19:08 »
  Get a cheap and nice plum keyboard. That's a topre too.
There's absolutely no patent anymore on that technology.

In my experience, topre and novatouch are overrated.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:21:33 by _GMK_ »

Offline subcat

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:30:06 »
people always forget that topre keyboards are intended for the japanese domestic market, and thus most prices in the west are inflated because of logistics and other import-related fees

brand new realforces/hhkbs are available starting at ~$170-175 - obviously that still isn't 'affordable' by comparison to most low-mid range options but it seems like people base their pricing off of what smartimports charges and pretend that that's the rrp topre themselves set or something.

it's incredibly easy to get used topre for very cheap in japan too, think perfectly clean 87us around the $110 mark and older standard jis stuff for even less

also if you're wearing out your abs spacebars in a month i would suggest taking a shower

That's a shame! Why doesn't Topre do as Cherry make them worldwide avaliable? Thank you all for all the answers. Funny thing this only makes this decision to get a Topre keyboard even harder.

i think they're working on it actually - fujitsu is handling distribution for them in the us as of recently, and they established themselves in china too with the release of the pfu r2. whether they'll continue the process officially in europe remains to be seen, but for now i believe there are a couple of third party options. obviously prices are notably higher in all of these places though.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:35:54 »

i think they're working on it actually - fujitsu is handling distribution for them in the us as of recently, and they established themselves in china too with the release of the pfu r2. whether they'll continue the process officially in europe remains to be seen, but for now i believe there are a couple of third party options. obviously prices are notably higher in all of these places though.

Anyone can copy topre because there's no patent on that.
It isn't available somewhere else or sold by other brands because no one cares about that inferior technology.

Offline subcat

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:42:10 »

It isn't available somewhere else or sold by other brands because no one cares about that inferior technology.

uhhhh okay? i mean they wouldn't have made the move to american and chinese distribution centres if no one cared about them
also, topre keyboards are some of the most reliable period, especially when it comes to chatter and dirt resistance. their lifespan is also super long because of their contactless nature, so they're far from inferior, even if you haven't made it clear what they're inferior to??? clones??
there are plenty of clones out there that can emulate the topre experience, but none of them match the quality of a realforce, fcxx0c, etc. so people are gonna continue to buy the genuine article.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 08:54:28 »

uhhhh okay? i mean they wouldn't have made the move to american and chinese distribution centres if no one cared about them
also, topre keyboards are some of the most reliable period, especially when it comes to chatter and dirt resistance. their lifespan is also super long because of their contactless nature, so they're far from inferior, even if you haven't made it clear what they're inferior to??? clones??
there are plenty of clones out there that can emulate the topre experience, but none of them match the quality of a realforce, fcxx0c, etc. so people are gonna continue to buy the genuine article.

Mmm super long lifespan what? Do you think that lasts more a spring or a rubber membrane? What's the most common failing point of a 40 years old model f or of a beamspring? And beside the obvious answer, topre simply sucks.

Offline subcat

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 09:17:33 »

Mmm super long lifespan what? Do you think that lasts more a spring or a rubber membrane? What's the most common failing point of a 40 years old model f or of a beamspring? And beside the obvious answer, topre simply sucks.

not sure if you're trolling at this point, but yes they absolutely last longer than a standard membrane keyboard... they're rated at 50m+ actuations

when you have to draw on two of the most revered and over-engineered keyboards/switches in history to prove your point you're only complimenting topre and doing me a favour (thanks), but honestly i would say topre is more reliable than at least beamspring, whose switches have an insane amount of moving parts - if you want to carry out a comprehensive restoration you often need to disassemble each and every one of them in order to do so. the mounts for the caps break, the contamination shield breaks up and gets inside them, they get overcome with rust etc...

topre is a modern switch that's still in production and available to this day though, so spouting the virtues of industrial keyboards that cost at least a dozen times as much back in the day makes about as much sense as your irrational hate for it

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 10:51:44 »
No.

Because once you use them you'll realize how pointless everything else is and not be tempted to spend $1ks on muh MX kustoms.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 11:31:53 »
No.

Because once you use them you'll realize how pointless everything else is and not be tempted to spend $1ks on muh MX kustoms.

LOL what?

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 11:34:17 »

not sure if you're trolling at this point, but yes they absolutely last longer than a standard membrane keyboard... they're rated at 50m+ actuations

when you have to draw on two of the most revered and over-engineered keyboards/switches in history to prove your point you're only complimenting topre and doing me a favour (thanks), but honestly i would say topre is more reliable than at least beamspring, whose switches have an insane amount of moving parts - if you want to carry out a comprehensive restoration you often need to disassemble each and every one of them in order to do so. the mounts for the caps break, the contamination shield breaks up and gets inside them, they get overcome with rust etc...

topre is a modern switch that's still in production and available to this day though, so spouting the virtues of industrial keyboards that cost at least a dozen times as much back in the day makes about as much sense as your irrational hate for it

I can't reply to such a big number of idiotic ramblings. What do you think that lasts longer, a rubber membrane or the spring of a cherry switch?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 12:13:44 »
I had all my tax paperwork under my HHKB for months. Did taxes, and now I want paper back under it. Oneness with cup rubber and plastic on top of envelopes.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 21:58:56 »

In that case why do they make JP layout and US ANSI layout?

Surely if it was for the domestic market only, they would stick to just the JP layout?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline subcat

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 23:13:01 »

I can't reply to such a big number of idiotic ramblings. What do you think that lasts longer, a rubber membrane or the spring of a cherry switch?

you can’t reply because you have no actual arguments, you sit there and type one sentence in response to my actual points after all your comparisons fall flat. the fact that you’re calling topre a ‘rubber membrane’ only further proves that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, the switch doesn’t involve a membrane in any way.

and yes, topre and cherry are pretty much the same in terms of reliability. i’ve already explained why, but it’s pretty clear you’re way too devoted to riding the topre hate train without even knowing why. keep it up champ, maybe you’ll find happiness someday.

@rowdy - ansi is actually quite popular in japan, due in no small part to the astronomical success of the hhkb - a good example is the recent announcement of realforce for mac on the realforce twitter page, there are quite a few japanese people requesting a US layout version in the comments. obviously you’re right though, the ansi stuff has the added bonus of international appeal too.

Offline vegs

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 01:27:17 »
No.

LOL what?
he's right
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 03:08:38 »
This thread is getting spicy.... got a couple of spicy bois getting all sexy over MX v Topre.

Come on guys, keebs are for dweebs.

Offline subcat

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 03:16:40 »
eh no one really said anything about mx until the last minute
of course having a good old meme on topre is a tradition as old as time itself, and that's all fine, but when people start spreading misinformation because their blood genuinely boils over the thought of people enjoying a switch with some rubber in it, i think things could use a little heat

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 03:31:52 »
eh no one really said anything about mx until the last minute
of course having a good old meme on topre is a tradition as old as time itself, and that's all fine, but when people start spreading misinformation because their blood genuinely boils over the thought of people enjoying a switch with some rubber in it, i think things could use a little heat

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2019, 03:42:09 by fanpeople »

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 05:10:59 »

you can’t reply because you have no actual arguments, you sit there and type one sentence in response to my actual points after all your comparisons fall flat. the fact that you’re calling topre a ‘rubber membrane’ only further proves that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, the switch doesn’t involve a membrane in any way.

and yes, topre and cherry are pretty much the same in terms of reliability. i’ve already explained why, but it’s pretty clear you’re way too devoted to riding the topre hate train without even knowing why. keep it up champ, maybe you’ll find happiness someday.

@rowdy - ansi is actually quite popular in japan, due in no small part to the astronomical success of the hhkb - a good example is the recent announcement of realforce for mac on the realforce twitter page, there are quite a few japanese people requesting a US layout version in the comments. obviously you’re right though, the ansi stuff has the added bonus of international appeal too.

I'm not replying because you write too much. I ask it again, do you think that lasts longer a cherry mx switch made of durable plastic and a spring, or the rubbery and superflexible parts of a topre?

I don't hate topre. I don't hate you. You're just objects.

Offline subcat

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 05:31:26 »

I'm not replying because you write too much. I ask it again, do you think that lasts longer a cherry mx switch made of durable plastic and a spring, or the rubbery and superflexible parts of a topre?

i'm sorry 3-4 lines is too much for you. the topre switch is also made of 'durable plastic and a spring' coincidentally, and just because they use rubber doesn't automatically make them worse. i already said it, but the contactless nature of the switch gives it an edge. topre (50m+ actuations) is actually rated higher than cherry mx (20-50m depending on the switch). so yes, they do, and i can speak from firsthand experience having owned multiple topre keyboards from the 80s, which all feel and work fine (and of course the same can be said for most mx of the same era).

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 05:40:50 »
You're not normal. You act like you actually work at topre.
You forgot about rubber. Rubber. Rubber.

Offline subcat

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:04:32 »
who says i don't? i already informed the yakuza about your disloyalty, they'll be at your door shortly to teach you primary school-level reading comprehension

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:11:24 »
me wants to try topre uwu

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:11:36 »
You actually believe in what you've just said. And you believe that rubber is more durable than plastic too....

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:12:11 »

Get a novatouch, but be prepared for a complicated modding that will take 2-3 hours to make it silent.
And be prepared to be deluded after that.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:14:31 »

i'm sorry 3-4 lines is too much for you. the topre switch is also made of 'durable plastic and a spring' coincidentally, and just because they use rubber doesn't automatically make them worse. i already said it, but the contactless nature of the switch gives it an edge. topre (50m+ actuations) is actually rated higher than cherry mx (20-50m depending on the switch). so yes, they do, and i can speak from firsthand experience having owned multiple topre keyboards from the 80s, which all feel and work fine (and of course the same can be said for most mx of the same era).

Offline subcat

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 06:19:01 »
You actually believe in what you've just said. And you believe that rubber is more durable than plastic too....

feel free to actually address anything i've said, if you haven't stopped reading this message already because it's too long. i gave you hard numbers and you're still mad
though i suppose if it takes you 2-3 hours to silence a novatouch, things start to make a little more sense now

Offline Gampela

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 07:08:43 »
I suppose the rubber material will eventually disintegrate / lose its properties. Do we have actual research about this? Topre Realforce / HHKB keyboards are relatively new products (we are talking 2000s) but I guess we have somewhat similar rubber dome mechanic keyboards from older era.

Still, we are talking about decades of hard use without fear of chattering or other mechanical malfunctions. Sounds pretty ****ing fool proof to me. And aftermarket domes are a thing now, mind you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2019, 07:13:06 by Gampela »

Offline subcat

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 07:19:13 »
I suppose the rubber material will eventually disintegrate / lose its properties. Do we have actual research about this? Topre Realforce / HHKB keyboards are relatively new products (we are talking 2000s) but I guess we have somewhat similar rubber dome mechanic keyboards from older era.

Still, we are talking about decades of hard use without fear of chattering or other mechanical malfunctions. Sounds pretty ****ing fool proof to me. And aftermarket domes are a thing now, mind you.

yeah you're right, eventually they definitely will - however, i think it'd take many decades to reach that point. the same switch design has been used since as early as 1985, i've actually transplanted the domes from one of my old victor kb-720s from that year for use in my realforce and had no issues. the board was decently used and dirty too.

Offline Rico

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 07:52:00 »
I have both a Topre Realforce and a Filco(MX) that I used for 8 years daily, both are working still very well.

I use my Topre 8 hours a day at work and it is working like it was still new ( but damn it is so dirty :D ).
On the other side I had to replace failed Cherry switches on friends keyboards.
So the argument of Topre switches lasting less that Cherry is not true.

The nice thing about Cherry though is that you can easily buy and replace switch parts, good luck to find spare rubber domes for your Topre (apart BKE).

Offline Telstar

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:34:45 »
So much love/hate for Topre...

Offline tron

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 10:03:22 »
Personally I use my silent Topre board when I want a quiet switch and need to focus on getting work done. IMO it’s not that inspiring to type on with an overall average key feel and plain aesthetic. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing though because certain Alps and IBM switches can be a bit distracting due to the level of noise and fun factor. The “best” switch all comes down to what you personally like using and the intended application.

If you can attend a meetup I recommend trying a few Alps, Cherry and IBM boards before investing in Topre. It always surprises me when I have friends try boards in my collection for the first time. Most of them haven’t been influenced by online reviews so it’s interesting to hear their feedback. Nine out of ten prefer my 65g vintage MX black custom with WOB GMK caps lol. Just goes to show you Cherry can be very good if tuned properly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 21:53:37 »
Thorpe is better than Topre.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 23:28:17 »
I think Topre can be very rewarding when done right. Nothing quite like the feel or sound. Hard to get there though. I trust others more than myself when it comes to tuning Topre. Krelbit hooked me up once and I ended up letting go of the board since it wasn't a great color.

I'd certainly pay someone to do it all again.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 08:30:51 »
I have to update my initial response... After having tons of topre and mx boards.. A custom lubed zealio is a far more rewarding typing experience.. Topre just feels more mushy the more and more you venture out into enthusiast tuned switches.. Want a quiet version of the zealios?  Zilents are your switch.. Ive tuned both and honestly getting the topre sound isnt that hard from an mx style switch if you understand keyboard acoustics and how to tune them.. Ive got a dolch pac that I honestly think is tuned to be more thocky and better sounding than any topre board.. And I used to push topre hard.. I think its a phase everyone goes though.. You dont have to do much to a stock topre to feel like youve hit end game with the sound.. Tactility honestly leaves something to be desired, and the mushiness of the keys isnt fully understood or realized with having experienced a properly tuned tactile switch..  But this is like, just my opinion and stuff.. My btc was 20.00 new on ebay and its a better feeling tactile experience than topre imo...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Gampela

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 11:47:14 »
I have to update my initial response... After having tons of topre and mx boards.. A custom lubed zealio is a far more rewarding typing experience.. Topre just feels more mushy the more and more you venture out into enthusiast tuned switches.. Want a quiet version of the zealios?  Zilents are your switch.. Ive tuned both and honestly getting the topre sound isnt that hard from an mx style switch if you understand keyboard acoustics and how to tune them.. Ive got a dolch pac that I honestly think is tuned to be more thocky and better sounding than any topre board.. And I used to push topre hard.. I think its a phase everyone goes though.. You dont have to do much to a stock topre to feel like youve hit end game with the sound.. Tactility honestly leaves something to be desired, and the mushiness of the keys isnt fully understood or realized with having experienced a properly tuned tactile switch..  But this is like, just my opinion and stuff.. My btc was 20.00 new on ebay and its a better feeling tactile experience than topre imo...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

I, for one, would be interested hearing this Mx keyboard that is tuned to sound like Topre and how you achieved it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 11:50:48 by Gampela »

• Lets change the game
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 14:07:29 »

I, for one, would be interested hearing this Mx keyboard that is tuned to sound like Topre and how you achieved it.

i posted a video of one of more thockier builds here in the keyboard section, but honestly its all about controlling reverb and what kind of material your keyboard is made of.. Topre switches have a plastic housing with more resonance and lower frequencies, so you tune your mx variants to sound like that.  first off is dampening that loud high pitch alot of mx clear housings make, you can mitigate alot of it with lube, and you can control the reverb by getting rid of any air volume in the keyboard, this gets rid of the reverb chamber alot of boards have..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline Gampela

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 15:24:27 »
i posted a video of one of more thockier builds here in the keyboard section, but honestly its all about controlling reverb and what kind of material your keyboard is made of.. Topre switches have a plastic housing with more resonance and lower frequencies, so you tune your mx variants to sound like that.  first off is dampening that loud high pitch alot of mx clear housings make, you can mitigate alot of it with lube, and you can control the reverb by getting rid of any air volume in the keyboard, this gets rid of the reverb chamber alot of boards have..

This one https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100272.0?

I have to admit there are similarities. Topre still has a lot more rounded "thock" but I guess that comes hand in hand with the "mushiness".

• Lets change the game
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 02:55:47 »

This one https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100272.0?

I have to admit there are similarities. Topre still has a lot more rounded "thock" but I guess that comes hand in hand with the "mushiness".

Yeah, i think its to do with the way the rubber dome dampens the sound inside the switch housing, its a pretty unique sound to topre, if youve ever typed on a btc slider over dome those also have integrated housings similar to hhkb, and so the sound is very similar.  That video I posted was recorded with a sennheiser mkh 416 which puts a little emphasis on the higher frequencies, the board sounds much deeper in person.. Its also not as loud as the video would have you think.

Offline JWahl

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 16:02:57 »

Get a novatouch, but be prepared for a complicated modding that will take 2-3 hours to make it silent.

I literally just finished doing the KBDFans silence-x rings mod on my Novatouch about an hour ago.  Alphas and small mods sound great now.  Bigger stabilized keys are still obnoxious, even after lubing.  Still too heavy for my taste (didn't expect that to change, of course).

I've been really digging this 35g NIZ atom66 board I've been using as a portable.  It turns out I don't really hate Topre and Topre style switches, I just like really light switches.  I still think the genuine Topre sounds better, though.  The "raindrop" sound on the NIZ board is a little weird. 

That being said, I'm really tempted by this 30g Topre Leopold FC-980C.  Not sure if I want to do the silencing mods all over again, though.  It appears that they make the R2 Realforce in silent 30g.  I'm hoping the Leopold will follow suit in the near future.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 17:25:58 »
No.

Or spend thousands trying to yield a better experience with MX

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:02:40 »
I tried so many different switches in past years and I always come back to Topre.
I find MX too wobbly. I don't know why, but Topre are not wobbly as MX are. It drives me crazy when I jump on MX after a while using Topre and find it so wobbly that is anoying.

I wanted to find a match in MX that feels like Topre, but I think there is nothing like Topre, none of MX feels that way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2019, 12:10:25 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 05:16:24 »

I literally just finished doing the KBDFans silence-x rings mod on my Novatouch about an hour ago.  Alphas and small mods sound great now.  Bigger stabilized keys are still obnoxious, even after lubing.  Still too heavy for my taste (didn't expect that to change, of course).

The best lifehack I've learned this past year has been this: Big keys (say, bigger than 2.5u) are always annoying to make them feel and sound good.

So... don't buy or build keyboards with big keys! Problem solved. Gordian knot undone.

Enter: The HHKB JP! Topre! Arrow keys! Small spacebars that sound the same as the Shift keys! 2 thumb keys for toggling layers just like an ortho board! All that and with some lubing (no silencing even required), it's the best damn board I've tried so far.

Offline playtech1

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 16:20:12 »
I have a few Novatouch boards and I almost exclusively use them.  They are just unfussy and pleasant to type on.  Mine are lubed, silenced and in Norbauer cases so far from stock.  Out of the box the Novatouch has some glimmers of promise, but they key rattle on the upstroke is far from great and needs silencing rings to fix.

Nothing wrong with MX of course (or Alps, or Model M, etc.) but for me the silence and tactile rubber feel of Topre works very well and is absolutely worth it.  It might just be an expensive rubber dome keyboard with a twist, but I like it all the same.

I find the key feel changes quite a bit depending on the keycap profile.  Cherry profile works best for me, with the heavier SA keycaps making it a bit mushier than I like.  A stiffer rubber sheet might help with that.

Offline abram

• Design Portfolio
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 16:35:01 »
I don't know if the "hype" surrounding Topre is worth it or not, but when I was learning more about the mechanical keyboard community I just kept hearing about it over and over, enough to make me want to try it for myself.

I bought a used HHKB and honestly I really do love using it. I would say at the very least it is worth TRYING to see if it is something you like or enjoy using. Everything surrounding this hobby is purely subjective anyways so it really only matters whether it's something you personally are interested in.
- Abram

HHKB | Race 3 | M0116 | AEK II

Offline Lyd

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 01:44:19 »
For the low actuation pressure bke's are the most tactile switch I've ever tried.  I still prefer bke heavies though, they're medium heavy but have a very snappy bump.  Once you depress the key a bit it'll just SNAP down and actuate and when you raise your fingers they'll SNAP back up at you almost in a binary fashion.  I love them! For control on where the tactile event occurs though, mx switches are far superior even if they are less tactile.