Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nord (GB June 10th)  (Read 261135 times)

Offline Gtrx

Re: [IC] GMK Nord
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:28:10 »
Is there a r3 1.5u Control available for the assembly kit?

no

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:29:25 »
Can we get a definitive answer on swapping the j key in the Vim kit for the homing j? Is that possible?

GMK has been contacted. Waiting for a response. Asked for a barred one.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 07:30:26 »
Can we expect pricing and gb date real soon?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Hoipolloi

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:29:10 »
accent keys? would love accent esc/arrow keys.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:54:51 »

Cant make any promises, but if gmk responds this week, updated pricing and gb date should be out in the end of next week or a little bit later.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:56:15 »
accent keys? would love accent esc/arrow keys.

Tried adding accent arrow keys, it just didn't look good. The accent colors are too dark and de saturated to look good alone.

Offline Tobiplayer3

« Reply #456 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:59:47 »
Can we get a definitive answer on swapping the j key in the Vim kit for the homing j? Is that possible?

GMK has been contacted. Waiting for a response. Asked for a barred one.

I'm hoping there will still be a non-homing j Vim key even if you add a barred one.

Offline Zacharius

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 23:50:43 »

Cant make any promises, but if gmk responds this week, updated pricing and gb date should be out in the end of next week or a little bit later.
Would this mean that scooped is replaced with barred in the VIM kit? Really hoping to get both instead of either being dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spakecdk

• Browns are best
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:33:24 »
Two things:

I already mentioned this on reddit, but pricing at 500 MOQ (which this set will certainly surpass) would be very welcomed

And r3 iso key should (imo) be the \ | one, since having only one UK key makes it cover 0 layouts, while having \ | makes it cover US-ISO

Offline cryworm

« Reply #459 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 16:28:35 »
It looks like if someone wants 40s support then they will have to get the assembly kit that comes with all R3(?) alphas. What if someone wants the normal profiles (for example r1-r2-r3-r4-r4) for the alphas AND 40s support? Will they have to buy the assembly kit AND the base kit?

If this is the case, then I really must insist that a 40s kit be done separately from the assembly kit.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #460 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 17:29:25 »
It looks like if someone wants 40s support then they will have to get the assembly kit that comes with all R3(?) alphas. What if someone wants the normal profiles (for example r1-r2-r3-r4-r4) for the alphas AND 40s support? Will they have to buy the assembly kit AND the base kit?

If this is the case, then I really must insist that a 40s kit be done separately from the assembly kit.

where did you see the assembly kit has only r3 alphas?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 10:43:50 »
And r3 iso key should (imo) be the \ | one, since having only one UK key makes it cover 0 layouts, while having \ | makes it cover US-ISO
This.

you might want to consider moving R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.
And also this. Those two keys are useless if they're in the base kit.

Offline MasterTi

« Reply #462 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 20:40:29 »
Love the colors

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 21:09:08 »
you might want to consider moving R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.

75 and 65?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #464 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 22:04:52 »

75 and 65?

How would you use top row End and PgDn on 65% and 75%?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 22:12:37 »

75 and 65?

by putting them on the keyboard

different people bind their nav keys differently

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 01:22:04 »

This turns away so many ISO users if it means that both the R3 key is \| and the R4 key is \| (for split left shift) as having two keys the same just looks awful and doesn’t actual meet any layout in use. Prioritising US-ISO which is barely used even amongst ISO users and making a kit look worse for any ISO user feels like a poor decision.

My preference is obviously for the ISO layout I use (UK ISO) but really, as that can’t always be the case, just make sure they are different. Go with the R4 key as <> if the other key has to be \| to satisfy the US ISO users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 01:36:05 »

by putting them on the keyboard

different people bind their nav keys differently

Sure, then let's include every possible permutation of rows and nav keys (or any keys, for that matter) in every set. Who knows, maybe someone likes to bind their End key where F usually is and swap their PgDn key with Backspace. Heck, why even have kits that cover the most commonly used layouts in the first place; just make all the keys blanks and call it a day.

You have to be realistic. Those two keys don't make sense in those positions (R1) on boards smaller than a CP / 96-key. More specifically:

65% — End or PgDn on the top row? I don't think so.
75% — The only option I can think of that could hypothetically work is Home on the F row and End on the number row, with PgUp, PgDn and Fn below that. But it's a real weird one; I've never seen anyone use that layout, and it would certainly fail the commonness test. Moreover, 75% keyboards with no separation/blocker between the F and number rows are becoming less and less popular. So that's another reason why it's a bad idea.

In summation, I stand by what I said previously: R1 End and PgDn should be moved to the numpad kit, as has been the case in most recent GMK sets that have chosen to split numpad keys out of the base kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2020, 01:52:48 by constexpr »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 01:45:48 »
This turns away so many ISO users if it means that both the R3 key is \| and the R4 key is \| (for split left shift) as having two keys the same just looks awful and doesn’t actual meet any layout in use. Prioritising US-ISO which is barely used even amongst ISO users and making a kit look worse for any ISO user feels like a poor decision.

My preference is obviously for the ISO layout I use (UK ISO) but really, as that can’t always be the case, just make sure they are different. Go with the R4 key as <> if the other key has to be \| to satisfy the US ISO users.

I agree with this. Both legends being the same is bad. R3 \|, R4 <> is better than R3 #~, R4 \|, imo, so I would also suggest going with that.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #469 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 09:46:27 »

While I generally agree with you (yes, I like terminal style better), there's a small mistake in your comment:

"US ISO, PC style" is how Microsoft implements the "English (USA)" national layout on an ISO (or ISANSI) keyboard on Windows (10, 7, XP, etc.). So "doesn’t actual meet any layout in use" is not completely right (it does coincide with Microsoft's actual implementation of the layout).

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #470 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 09:58:35 »
Also, I just took a look at the kits as they stand now in the initial post. The R3 #~ key is still present in both the base and the Norde kit, which makes little sense (I suggest: keep it in the latter; replace it with R3 \| in the former), and the same happens with R4 \| (keep it in the Norde kit and take it out of the base kit, and replace it with R4 <>, moved out of the Norde kit).

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #471 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 10:19:55 »
Also, I just took a look at the kits as they stand now in the initial post. The R3 #~ key is still present in both the base and the Norde kit, which makes little sense (I suggest: keep it in the latter; replace it with R3 \| in the former), and the same happens with R4 \| (keep it in the Norde kit and take it out of the base kit, and replace it with R4 <>, moved out of the Norde kit).

Good catch. +1 for the suggestions.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #472 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:24:58 »

The asembly kit doesn't have only r3 alphas. It's the same as the oblivion assembly kit in that regard.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #473 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:39:40 »

Good catch. +1 for the suggestions.

I'm going to keep the partial uk iso support in the main kit, as I think that most ISO users use UK iso or fall under the NORDE category. the r3 #~ key and \| are going to be removed from NORDE though. Thank you for the feedback guys!

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #474 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 04:17:59 »
@OP

Love this set, sent ya a PM about something related to it  :D
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #475 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 09:52:15 »
I'm a big fan of this set. I'm definitely in for the base kit and maybe the novelties.

I wish I could make everything Nord themed. Microsoft Office and Jupyter Notebooks are the only software I haven't changed yet. I'm tempted to go get paint swatches for my walls.

EDIT:  Why MKUltra for American orders? I really don't know much about them, but their site is sketchy and they have, what looks like, a giant order backlog for their normally stocked items. Can they handle a big GMK group buy like this?
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2020, 10:51:11 by Missingnumber »

Offline cryworm

« Reply #476 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 18:29:05 »

The asembly kit doesn't have only r3 alphas. It's the same as the oblivion assembly kit in that regard.
'

Perfect!

I'm 100% in for an assembly kit then.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #477 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 15:12:59 »
Any updates? It's been pushed back pretty far atm, is it still happening?

Offline batdog

« Reply #478 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 16:23:40 »
interested

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:43:46 »
Just jumping in, this is still happening, we are revising renders to make sure that GMK gets the 100% perfect renders and you do too. This way there are no mistakes made like on some GMK sets that happened :)
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline masternave

« Reply #480 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 12:31:53 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Hotice

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 13:10:52 »
Show Image

Keyboard: Polaris by Ai03
Welcome to GMK Nord, a keyset inspired by ArcticIceStudio's Nord color scheme!

GB information
GB date may get pushed back another 10-20 days, as communication with some vendors has gone silent (Asia). No quote from gmk yet. Some vendors have changed too. Deskhero.ca is now the Canada vendor and mkultra is the US vendor. Sorry for the setbacks and inconveniences.

Update
GMK is on leave until 2020-01-03. I'm hoping to get a quote at 2020-01-05 at the latest. If the quote comes in later, there are probably going to be more delays.
2020/1/10 - Still no quote from gmk. Although, there will be custom metal artisans and cables.

2020/2/1 - Quotes from gmk came in! Expect initial quotes for the kits in the coming week!

Pricing
We've got quotes from candykeys. Pricing for eu:
Main: 128 eur. MOQ: 250
Assembly: 150 eur MOQ: 100
numpad: 40 eur MOQ: 100
spacebar: 29 eur MOQ: 100
NORDE: 63 eur MOQ: 100
Novelties: 56 eur. MOQ: 100

Do note, there is a small chance that prices will change in the future.

Design
This kit was designed with two goals in mind: affordability and compatibility. Kits will be modified if there's a fair amount of interest in a certain change. All colors are in RAL.

Base Kit
The base kit covers most popular layouts (60%, HHKB, 75%, 65%, TKL).
Show Image

Spacebar Kit
This spacebar kit is like any other spacebar kit, but also supports split keyboards.
Show Image

NorDe Kit
The NorDeUk kit adds support for these languages: Norwegian, British, German, Danish.
Show Image

Numpad Kit
The numpad kit was separated from the main kit to improve affordability, but maintain compatibility if anyone wants to outfit a numpad.
Show Image

Novelty Kit
The novelty kit contains icon mods, vim arrows and nord novelty keycaps.
Show Image

Show Image

Assembly Kit
This kit was made with compatibility in mind. It supports most 40%, ergo and ortho boards.
Show Image

Show Image

Deskmats
I'm also offering two Nord deskmats, designed by PheonixStarr--they come in Light and Dark Themes.
Show Image

Show Image

Keyboard: Cygnus by Pheonixstarr
Keypad: Abacus by SomeGreekGuy (unreleased)
Show Image

Show Image

Keypad: Abacus by SomeGreekGuy (unreleased)

Color Palette
This is the color palette for GMK Nord with RAL color codes.
Show Image

Vendors
EU: CandyKeys
US: Mkultra
Canada: Deskhero
Asia: Zfrontier
Oceania: Daily Clack
Renders
More will be added soontm
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Keyboard: Ti-65 by Pheonixstarr (unreleased)
Show Image

Show Image

Keyboard: WY-68 by Ender (unreleased)
Show Image

Show Image

Keyboard: Abacus by SomeGreekGuy (unreleased)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Keyboard: Planck by OLKB
Show Image

Keyboard: Boardwalk by MKUltra

Google Interest Check Form

Credits

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Pheonixstarr for her help with nord. She was always there when I needed feedback and she even made some awesome deskmats and renders for nord. I would also like to thank Dave from candykeys for providing me with crucial information about GMK, contacting vendors and marketing nord. Last but not least, I'd like to thank dixiemech for his invaluable support and guidance. Thank you guys and gals. Because of your support, nord is where it is right now. Most importantly though, I'd like to thank the community for vital feedback. It's always nice to hear how the set can be made better.

Ai03: Polaris 3d model
Ender: WY-68 3d model
Pheonixstarr: TI-65 3d model, renders, deskmats, (I've heard she has a rendering service too).
Arctic Ice studio: colors, name, logo.

Edit
There seems to be enough interest for a Norde kit, thus it will be either added to the "main" kit or branch off into it's own kit :)
2019/05/13 update: New 3d models for numpad numlock, /, * are being created. Single line prt sc, scroll lock, pause break are in the works too. 1.5 control has been changed from ctrl to control. 1u fn is going to be changed to meta. 1u 0 numpad key will be added. 1u 00 key is in consideration. Proper Norde kit is also in the works. Spacebar kit has been altered: there are now only 2 2u spacebars. All the other ones have been removed. 6u center set and offset spacebars have been added to the kit. 1.5u super/meta keys will probably be added to the main kit. barred
 homing keys have been added. Alpha colored spacebars are going to be added to the main kit and spacebars kit, although there is going to be one accent spacebar in the spacebars kit. one more 1u alt+ctrl has been added to the bottom row for hhkb support. Thank you for all of the amazing feedback :) .

Updates
Base kit - changed iso # r3 to alpha colors. Novelty kit: Added support for tsangan bottom row. Assembly: Better 40's support.

good I'm interest main set

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 13:24:00 »
So will the assembly kit include the alpha colored Pipe key or the accent mod colored pipe key?

The Kit Render has just the alpha colored Pipe:

But the Boardwalk render shows the accent Pipe key being used (which I think is preferable to most people):

Offline IReallyLikeBacon

« Reply #483 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 13:29:36 »
I think a Rama novelty would look really nice with a color from either Modified Frost or the regular Frost. It could be a mountain or the logo.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 22:19:00 »
alpha pipe key is the only pipe key

also ne mono mods avail

Offline Funkatr0n

« Reply #485 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 06:06:55 »
Any Idea egen hvis GB will run?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 18:29:23 »
I forget if i mentioned this earlier but pls switch to "Control" instead of "Ctrl" on the 1.25 caps to make it consistent with the 1.5 caps

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:06:07 »
I forget if i mentioned this earlier but pls switch to "Control" instead of "Ctrl" on the 1.25 caps to make it consistent with the 1.5 caps
But they aren't used along each other.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:11:44 »
yea no ****. but "Control" looks better than "Ctrl" on keys long enough to support it being fully spelled out

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:28:12 »

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:31:22 by Oblotzky »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:30:06 »

Show Image

Show Image

well when only considering good layouts like i do, they're mutually exclusive

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #491 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 09:52:07 »
Gb when

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #492 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 06:06:58 »
Gb when

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Probably late april, when the 2019-nCOV pandemic calms down a bit. Also, expect final minor kit changes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2020, 06:43:36 by Gtrx »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #493 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 07:57:03 »
Also, expect final minor kit changes.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I didn't get a clear answer, so my request may have been overlooked. Will those changes include moving R1 End, PgDn to the numpad kit? Again, those keys are useless without a numpad as they are only used on 1800, CP and similar boards, so it doesn't make sense to keep them in the base kit if the numpad itself is separate.

Also, in the current render it appears that the second mod-colored \| pipe key in the base kit has a green legend. Should this legend perhaps be yellow so it matches the Tab key? Same question goes for the 1.5u Backspace legend, which is purple atm even though it's on R2.

Finally, if you're including two 1.5u Super keys for Mac and HHKB layouts, the second 1u Ctrl should be changed to a 1u Alt, as two 1.5u Supers are always used with two 1u Alts, not Ctrls.

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 March 2020, 07:59:59 by constexpr »

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #494 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 10:51:19 »
Also, expect final minor kit changes.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I didn't get a clear answer, so my request may have been overlooked. Will those changes include moving R1 End, PgDn to the numpad kit? Again, those keys are useless without a numpad as they are only used on 1800, CP and similar boards, so it doesn't make sense to keep them in the base kit if the numpad itself is separate.

Also, in the current render it appears that the second mod-colored \| pipe key in the base kit has a green legend. Should this legend perhaps be yellow so it matches the Tab key? Same question goes for the 1.5u Backspace legend, which is purple atm even though it's on R2.

Finally, if you're including two 1.5u Super keys for Mac and HHKB layouts, the second 1u Ctrl should be changed to a 1u Alt, as two 1.5u Supers are always used with two 1u Alts, not Ctrls.

Show Image

Alrgiht, the PgDn and end keys are not useless, as people might want to change up the layout of their keyboards. The second pipe key is green, because it adds visual balance. Yellow does not look good in that position. The esc key is purple, because it adds visual balance and because all backspace keys are purple. Your suggestion about the alts might make it into a later revision. I'll have to think about that.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #495 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 12:16:08 »
Alrgiht, the PgDn and end keys are not useless, as people might want to change up the layout of their keyboards.

But they are, in fact, useless. At least as far as all commonly used numpadless layouts go. Think about it: those keys are R1, meaning function row or number row. Have you seen anyone put PgDn or End on the number row — the top row — on their 65%? If you have, please share. It doesn't make sense to put PgDn above PgUp, or End above Home. Even if someone out there has a layout with R1 End on a 75%, it certainly isn't common, so it doesn't warrant including those keys in a base kit imo.

Here's a list of recent (since July 2019) GMK GB's and IC's that had separate numpad kits and didn't have R1 PgDn, End keys in their base kits:

Compared to sets that had R1 PgDn, End in their numpadless base kits.

Source: keycaplendar.com. Apologies if I missed any sets.

Thanks for your consideration on the other points.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 March 2020, 12:35:31 by constexpr »

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 09:22:50 »
I use PGDN on R1 on both of my KBD19X, next to PGUP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #497 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 11:03:21 »
I use PGDN on R1 on both of my KBD19X, next to PGUP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep, exactly, that's a 1800 layout with a numpad, and so R1 PgDn and End belong in the numpad kit.

Offline pott

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 11:19:15 »
The Ergo kit LOOKS great, but compatibility is poor; virtually none of the 1.5keys fit the functions many users have.

I love the blank inner column and 2u caps; the options for ergo kits typically are a) all blanks (...somewhat meh looks-wise, but good for compat) or b) use the Space Cadet language (looks great, has tons of compat, but may not fit the theme of the kit).

On a personal level, I would absolutely LOVE such a big ergo/assembly kit. I'm super in awe that it's your goal.
But with these legends, that's a total no-go.

That, of course, is for me and my preferences only :) It's your kit. Normally I don't go on the Internet to say 'I don't like it' since it brings no value and folks don't want to hear opinions anyway. But in this case, given that GMK has other options that great emphasize compatibility, I did want to bring it up just-in-case... since I love the kit's color and would love the opportunity to use it!

Offline phedd

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 14:11:04 »
Please, please.. Alt Gr in the Nordeuk kit.

Also the %5€ is missing.