Author Topic: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (open-source; RNDKBD is doing a metal GB)  (Read 184317 times)

Offline Vardys

Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (now with Vial)
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 12:47:24 »
Even unfinished, love that metal board! Created this account for this project, looking forward to what come of it. Take as long as you need!

Offline Jaygles

« Reply #301 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 11:53:42 »
Even unfinished, love that metal board! Created this account for this project, looking forward to what come of it. Take as long as you need!

Same here. Can't wait to see the anodized version

Offline KeeBnnuy

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 20:24:46 »
Is a release still coming for this keyboard? I have a friend who wants me to build him a mech keyboard and that was his first choice in terms of layout!

Offline Dreadnou(h)gt

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 14:00:11 »
I need that Board...

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 17:08:53 »
Oh my goodness, that aluminum prototype looks magnificent.
The only way I'll give up my numpad is if you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Offline runnez

« Reply #305 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 06:13:56 »
Hey everyone - the proto is built and working. Some dusty photos:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I maybe do a sound test later this week. The switches were lubed a bit inconsistently though so I may do more work on it, but it's enough to evaluate the proto.

Moving forward, I need to:
  • Get a second case proto with a sandblasted, anodized case. I also plan on fixing some minor issues on the 2nd proto (the front bumpon pocket is a little too small for instance). This may be with a different manufacturer (I used SuNPe for the proto).
  • Figure out FCC/CE EMI testing and get some quotes with some testing labs. I wrote up about EMI testing laws and regulations (and the likely dubious legal status of most custom mechanical keyboards) on Keebtalk. I would like to comply with those laws and regulations and actually do the interference testing. This adds time, complexity, and quite a bit of cost, and imposes a bunch of constraints (e.g. I might have to sell this with a fixed layout plate to avoid testing every layout configuration, which would add a lot of testing costs, and have open-source universal plate files published online that people would have to get cut themselves if they want to). This may also cause issues with international availability - the US, EU, and Canada have separate EMI testing regulations and require different tests to legally sell keebs in their jurisdictions, and it likely won't make financial sense to get approval with every jurisdiction (e.g. I received a $3000 quote for CE testing for Europe, and I'm not particularly confident I can make that $3000 back in EU sales). It may end up being US restricted if I only pay for FCC testing (which is still likely $2000+), and you'll have to find a 3rd-party proxy/forwarder or something if you're trying to get this from abroad (e.g. I can't legally sell directly in Europe without CE testing). If these constraints are too problematic (or if the testing ends up simply being too expensive), I am considering just open-sourcing the files metal version and writing up an ordering guide just like the 3D printed version, which would probably preclude a group buy or other sale.
  • Compile a final bill of materials, and figure out pricing. 
  • Work things out with a vendor (there's been some tentative talks with a vendor but nothing's concrete yet).
  • There's a chance I run this in-stock, though this is still TBD.
Ah damn it's a major shame if you cannot sell it in EU I own a Austin and use it as my main board I would love a bigger version

Sent from my ASUS_I005DA using Tapatalk

Offline Robert.Lussier5

Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline TheNeonKnight

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 16:46:43 »
I bought the 3d print one, but I want the aluminum too. Too cool

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 02:11:01 »
Finished my second prototype today:
283861-0
124 ligtht blue box switches ( this one is my home board, so clicky is not a problem)

Both of my boards:
283863-1
The top one is my original build - Hako true switches and MT3 Suswatari, green backlight meant for the office (the blue F-keys and blanks are row one SA keys)
The bottom is my new home buld - Box light blue with MT3 /dev/TTT, amber backlight. The extra F-keys are from the extras kit.
Both feature my custom QMK buld that always asserts num lock, so I can re-use the key.

Edit: I had some issues with the keyboard resetting while plugged into a switch if I turn the yellow backlight up to high. Running from the PC is fine. I just checked, and with a 100 Ohm resistor, the green 1.8mm leds draw about 7.3 mA while the yellow draw about 11.3mA. So over 124 leds, that gives a draw of about 900 mA for green instead of 1400 mA for Yellow. So if you are on the fence between the two colors, I would go with green.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 March 2022, 00:07:46 by hvontres »
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline hvontres

« Reply #309 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 00:18:24 »
Also, if anyone is curious, I build my second board with Mil-Max 0305 Sockets. Worked really well. Kind of wish I had done that on my first one as well. Maybe if I ever rebuild it :) I got 270 sockets and that just about covers one board.
283878-0
Front side. Excuse my mess of a bench (It's a little better now)
283880-1
Cool view down the backside.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Pylon

« Reply #310 on: Sat, 19 March 2022, 14:43:18 »
Hi all - due to complication around EMI regulations, personal circumstances (I'm not sure if I have the capacity to run a GB in the near future), and the fact that this has been in IC for 22 months and I don't want to let it drag on further, I decided to open-source the files for the metal version instead of running a group buy, produced manufacturing drawings, and wrote up a draft ordering guide (similar to the 3D printed version). I apologize to everyone that has been waiting so long, but I hope you will be able to use these files to order one for yourself. The license also permits 3rd-party group buys without any royalties. As with the 3D-printed version, the files are provided as-is. Order parts at your own risk.
https://github.com/bluepylons/Boston/tree/master/Boston%20-%20Current%20design/Metal%20version

I still need to write up assembly instructions (I will need to disassemble my proto and rebuild it to do so), but it should be fairly straightforward to build (as it's a traditional top mount keyboard). The only complications are around the daughterboard holder and pressing-in and soldering the M2 PEM nuts for that.

For the 3D-printed version, RNDKBD has run a GB (due late March), and will run future ones. I am not directly involved in this group buy, though I have been talking with Andy quite a bit and answering questions and such.
https://rndkbd.com/collections/keyboard-kits-cases/products/boston-keyboard-kit?variant=42579256541418

Offline Jaygles

Damn understood. Thanks for open sourcing it. I'm about to learn a lot about keyboards lol

Offline thienhaor

Thank you for all your hard work, sad that the GB didn't make it but the keyboard still lives on! Is there any chance that we can support you as a designer other than GB? Seriously the whole Github link is a gold mine and you even plan to do a full assembly video too! Big UPS

Offline Pylon

Thank you for all your hard work, sad that the GB didn't make it but the keyboard still lives on! Is there any chance that we can support you as a designer other than GB? Seriously the whole Github link is a gold mine and you even plan to do a full assembly video too! Big UPS

Thanks! At the moment no, but I appreciate the sentiment, and if you do decide to build a Boston please post photos of it as I enjoy seeing what people do with the files. I'm also still working on a force curve meter kit, though there's lots and lots of software work that still needs to be done.

Also it'll probably be a written assembly guide, not a video  - I'm not good at making videos so an assembly video is unlikely (I actually attempted to do a fairly janky build stream when I received the proto but was having a lot of problems with Twitch).

Offline hvontres

Pylon, thank you again for a most awesome input device :) I was wondering if there is any interest in a southpaw version (we could call it southie :) ) I did a quick mockup in KLE:
284260-0
I am just getting back into KiCad and started playing with the Acheron libs today. I figure there is two possible routes we could go with something like this:

1) design a whole new PCB, probably best to do the daughterboard version and modify the 3d printed case to mount the daughter board
2) look at splitting the PCB into three sections (the 65% center seciton, numpad and dual F-keys). This would allow us to only have one set of boards and rearrange them to suit. At this point, it is just an idea floating in my head and I would probably need to sit down and do some scale layouts to see how feasible this second idea really is.
Henry von Tresckow

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Pylon, thank you again for a most awesome input device :) I was wondering if there is any interest in a southpaw version (we could call it southie :) ) I did a quick mockup in KLE:
(Attachment Link)
I am just getting back into KiCad and started playing with the Acheron libs today. I figure there is two possible routes we could go with something like this:

1) design a whole new PCB, probably best to do the daughterboard version and modify the 3d printed case to mount the daughter board
2) look at splitting the PCB into three sections (the 65% center seciton, numpad and dual F-keys). This would allow us to only have one set of boards and rearrange them to suit. At this point, it is just an idea floating in my head and I would probably need to sit down and do some scale layouts to see how feasible this second idea really is.

Southpaw would be nice. Color me interested. Though I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up. Maybe ping Pylon in Discord?

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
Thanks, Pylon, for your honesty and generosity.  Sometimes it can be difficult to realize you don't have the time to finish a project, and releasing the plans and R&D free of charge is a great act of selflessness.

Open-sourcing all this planning and hard work is a gift to the keyboard world.  I would have loved to buy this kit, but getting one custom machined on my own is a route I have yet to go in my keyboard building. Many thanks for all you have done so far and to everyone who has found and followed this awesome project. 

Can't wait to see where this can go in the future with those of us who are interested in creating a Boston of our own.  And to the over 100 percent size keyboard fans among us, keep it up!

Offline Pylon

Hi all - some various updates:

itsFirewire did a long build stream on Twitch last night for the 3D-printed GB RNDKBD ran recently. RNDKBD will tentatively be doing a round two around late-May or early-June. Note I'm not formally running or involved in RNDKBD's group buy (it's based off the open source files) but have been communicating with Andy @ RNDKBD quite a bit.

I'm doing another PCB revision (V0.7J) for the 3D printed version to add some holes to the PCB so that the screws that hold the key separators to the plate can be accessed from the back once the PCB is soldered. Right now those screws are inaccessible once the PCB is in place, so the key separators can't be adjusted after switches are soldered onto the PCB (which makes aligning them before soldering critical). I'm also looking into a way to ground the plate and screws on the top side (they currently are not grounded, though you can solder a wire between the PCB and plate if you wish to ground them). Both of these changes requires moving several components, and will require another round of prototyping. I'm not sure if this revision will be ready and prototyped in time for RNDKBD's R2.

I have a friend who's trying to build a 3D-printed one with countersunk (flush) screws on the top instead of button head. If it works well I'll update the files to make that an option, as it would be less obtrusive than the current button head screws.

The assembly guide for the metal version is slowly coming along, but I still need to add pictures (I'm rebuilding my current prototype and desoldering is going slowly, but I'll be able to photograph it when it's getting rebuilt).

The Vial firmware has been updated to use Vial V0.5.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2022, 08:51:15 by Pylon »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Pylon is so based. Thank you.

Offline atl22033

• Signature art by Shima
So for the metal case do you think i would be able to have it cnced in poly instead of metal?

Offline Pylon

I don't see why not, though you probably want to ask your manufacturer to install brass threaded inserts into the polycarbonate instead of tapping it, as tapped holes in plastic aren't super durable.

Offline Pylon

RNDKBD announced that they will be starting Round 2 of their group buy for 3D-printed Bostons on Friday June 3rd. This will likely use the new PCB revision V0.7J, which allows for access to the key separator screws from the back once the PCB is soldered in place.

I just received protos for V0.7J and everything appears to be working fine so far (shorting the keys with a pair of tweezers), though I haven't built up a full keyboard (with switches and all) for that new PCB yet as I'm waiting on switches and stabs for a new build.

Offline Dreadnou(h)gt

Thank you so much for that awesome Board!

Offline Pylon

Looking good!

Reminder that RNDKBD's Round 2 for the 3D-printed version will start tomorrow (June 3rd) at 9AM Mountain Time.

Offline vicechief

Pylon, I just want to say thanks for designing and making this most excellent battleship. I bought a green PCB kit from you a few years ago and recently mostly-assembled it. I really enjoy using it and it's really opened my eyes to what I like and don't like about layouts in general.

Eventually, I'm going to make my own.

Also VIAL is a revelation.

Cheers.

288085-0

Offline hvontres

Nice board. Are those SA keys? Extra bonus for the "door" and "flare" keys :) I am really glad I found this and I ended up with two (one for the office and one for home :) )
Henry von Tresckow

Offline Dreadnou(h)gt

Hello, if someone near Germany is interested in a PCB for the Alu Version of the Board, hit me up Dreadnouhgt#6001 on Discord. I ordered some and have 3 in Spare now. I sell those for 70 bucks + shipping. They include everything like LED,s Daughterboard, JST Connectors etc. to get the board to work.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Hi All,

Now that the group buy rush is over, I plan on carrying the 3D-printed Boston (with 0.7J PCBs) as an in-stock item in my store. Expect about a week lead time as these are printed to order. Big thanks to Pylon for all his hard work + open sourcing this project.

https://rndkbd.com/products/boston-keyboard-kit

Offline MMJ1999

wow :thumb:

Offline RPFNYC

Hi All,

Now that the group buy rush is over, I plan on carrying the 3D-printed Boston (with 0.7J PCBs) as an in-stock item in my store. Expect about a week lead time as these are printed to order. Big thanks to Pylon for all his hard work + open sourcing this project.

https://rndkbd.com/products/boston-keyboard-kit

Can the keyboard be ordered with rgb lighting and hot swap connectors on the pcb board ?
I would like this order this keyboard but I am trying to find out if it comes with all the things I like most about keyboards besides the layout (which I love).

Does the keyboard come fully assembled when ordering from your store ?
I don't want to solder, I'm horrible at it.  I don't mind regular hand assembly tho.

thanks
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2022, 04:12:12 by RPFNYC »

Offline Technofrikus

I made a printable version of the Metal Case. Thanks a lot Pylon for opensourcing everything!
You need a printer that can print a 405mm object.

Details and files available here:
https://github.com/Technofrikus/Boston-Case

294920-0

294922-1

294924-2

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Now that's fecking sick! Good job man.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Epsilon Plus

So I've been following this thread/project for a while and am still... really desiring a metal one of these. Would there be any interest in a few people getting together to have some metal ones CNCed, to get a lower price, rather than me shelling out for a one-off? I've bought from group buys before but I've never organized anything, I dunno if I have the organization/spare time to do so right now.

This is probably a niche enough board that doing an actual GB for a metal version of it would probably fail to meet a reasonable minimum, right?

Offline bkrownd

an experienced and well resourced vendor would have to take it on, probably big $$$.

that looks excellent technofrikus

Offline iamtragic

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/10z5ivm/ic_rndkbd_metal_boston_120_keyboard/

Worthwhile checking in here and seeing if the GB ever happened / if it's yet to happen.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 June 2023, 23:36:26 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline bkrownd

Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (open-source; RNDKBD is doing a metal GB)
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 22 June 2023, 02:26:53 »

Ooof, over the last year I got back into mechanical clocks and mechanical (haha) guitars.  The funding has gone elsewhere.  Now I don't think I can fund such an endgame board anymore. 

Offline sanger_r

« Reply #337 on: Thu, 22 June 2023, 09:28:14 »
Any chance we can just buy the case or is it kits only?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 23 June 2023, 14:27:51 »
Any chance we can just buy the case or is it kits only?

Reach out to me at andy@rndkbd.com and I can make that happen.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD

Offline svenge

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 28 July 2023, 09:34:26 »
Last day for the Alu Boston: https://rndkbd.com/products/gb-boston-120-compact-keyboard-kit

Oops I missed this one.  That's okay... I just started working on building my 3d printed version.  Starting with a nice paint job :)

To whoever bought into the alu version (and hek, the 3d print too), please share pics of your builds, I think this is one of the most beautiful boards out there.

Offline svenge

« Reply #341 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 17:47:17 »
And here's some scuffed pics of my 3d printed boston120 - can you tell what color the original plastic was?   :cool:

It's really hard to capture the colorshift paint in a single image.  It looks so cool in the right light.

302502-0302504-1302506-2302508-3