Author Topic: Split off from Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 9103 times)

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
Split off from Massdrop x Geekhack
« on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:03:40 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:50:52 by Photoelectric »
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline Genosha

Re: Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:40:44 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

I find it interesting a group of vendors got together to create an alternative community because they are concerned that a vendor purchased GH. What is the difference? Both would have an invested self interest wouldn't they?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:48:24 »
The least you can do is be considerate to those who are staying in geekhack and not use an unrelated thread for blatant self-promotion.  Split off and moved to off-topic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:51:09 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:49:44 »
Clickbait title, nice.

What Genosha said. Absolutely no difference here.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:53:23 »
Clickbait title, nice.

What Genosha said. Absolutely no difference here.

Was originally posted in the MD announcement thread but was split off

Offline HotRoderX

Re: Split off from Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 21:59:16 »
Wish they lock and nuke these threads. All these are doing is hurting the community. My understanding is that it was created by bunch of vendors. Best of luck to them personally I am not going anywhere. I also think its comical a 22 post account was the one to put this up. Just seems fishy like some one trying to push agenda. O will hopefully the people that want to leave geekhack will leave and we can stop these useless threads.

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:04:13 »
Really there is no difference in my eyes. Looks like a pissing match between IC and Massdrop which isn't surprising given the history. This move seems very reactionary and just adds fuel to the fire. To do something right is not a trivial task and to spin up a new website in a couple days time is hardly done right. Hopefully the community as a whole doesn't end up imploding as a result of this tribal strife.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:10:21 »
Way too rushed. Plus Discourse is a short term solution to the platform problem the community has AT BEST. Terrible execution and way too rushed.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:13:10 »
I’m totally into a new and better community site. But step one is it needs to work better than the existing options not be the worst one.

What compelling reason is there to switch from one vendor ran forum to another? Especially when one site works and the other... doesn’t?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:14:10 »
Really there is no difference in my eyes. Looks like a pissing match between IC and Massdrop which isn't surprising given the history. This move seems very reactionary and just adds fuel to the fire. To do something right is not a trivial task and to spin up a new website in a couple days time is hardly done right. Hopefully the community as a whole doesn't end up imploding as a result of this tribal strife.

Thats the main reason I won't even give the new forum a second glance. Anything Input Club is not thought highly of in my eyes. I think there supporters are just really loud cause I noticed on Reddit there not exactly thought of highly. They done some really questionable crap like dropping support for the K-Type completely after using property software. Then they went and pushed the whitefox/nightfox with a fault PCB faulty cause the massdrop editions had the same issue. Then then the stabilizers in the Whitefox/Nightfox had the same rattle issues. Then there was the Lime Keyset they helped host. The ones that came in damaged they pretty much told people tough nothing they could do. Honestly Massdrop isn't perfect but least there upfront about stuff there not hiding things. As far as the legal dispute the moment IC came out saying we aren't lawyers we are just normal people blah blah. That told me right there they didn't lawyer up at all instead they just signed a contract they didn't understand. They did lawyer up there lawyer didn't understand.

Either case as someone else said its kinda funny how pissy people got about this forum being bought out by a vendor then there being asked to switch to a new forum run by vendors. Yes input club is a vendor so is Norbauer. The two I see pushing things. Given Topclack isn't a vendor but there the only one. There still the fact someone has to be paying the bills there not just hosting this thing for free.

O will said my peace :P I shut up.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:18:55 »
Definitely a move in bad taste just hoping to grab some of the people *****ing for an alternative without even giving MD a chance.

1. Name is awful "keeb" just looks so childish

2. Logo is so low effort and just basically a rip of the GH logo  :p

3. That it was announced through the I:C mailing list throws up red flags that its just going to be Shill/Sponsor loaded.

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:26:27 »
Error 502
Open Resty
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:55:10 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

I find it interesting a group of vendors got together to create an alternative community because they are concerned that a vendor purchased GH. What is the difference? Both would have an invested self interest wouldn't they?

sav
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 23:00:43 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

sav

sir

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:00:36 »

Offline JP

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:12:53 »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:38:42 »
I'm in wait-and-see mode with both this new site and GH.  Is keebtalk the new Voat?  Is GH going to end up like Harmony Central forums when Guitar Center bought them and converted them to Jive, killing off several rather active forums in the process?  Or the new Digg that killed Digg?  We'll see.  Though I suspect if people are willing to post on the current MassDrop forums, GH will survive pretty well.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
Re: Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 02:54:34 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

If you watched the announcement you'd know that they're registering it as a non-profit and putting it in legal terms that it cannot be sold.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 03:30:20 »
It really needs to move away from that crap forum software ...

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 03:52:57 »
Who knows how GH will be ran in the future, but I'd be extremely hesitant to join any forum with the word "keeb" in the name.

Absolutely can not stand that word  :mad:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 05:18:40 »
Who knows how GH will be ran in the future, but I'd be extremely hesitant to join any forum with the word "keeb" in the name.

I hate that word too - with a passion. But I still created an account there.  :confused:

We'll see where it goes from here, both with GH and KT.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:40:23 »

I hate that word too - with a passion. But I still created an account there.  :confused:

We'll see where it goes from here, both with GH and KT.

Same here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:51:14 »
I love the word keeb.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 09:58:05 »
*sighs*

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 10:18:06 »
Other than norbauer, the new site was made by people who weren't as heavily active here, so not sure why the split from a site they weren't as devoted to before Massdrop took over. Were they even aware of iMav's existence prior to the controversial sale?

I'm shocked norbauer decided to up and leave, but I'm assuming it's his distaste for Massdrop. I agree that Massdrop has become different nowadays than when I first joined. Now I see them run the same drops for AliExpress items rather than be the venue for creative minds (there are still those, but too far and few than before).

The more I think about it, the more I become frustrated with iMav's decision, but gh still is my keeb home and always will be.

(Still joined Kt to make sure no one took my name!)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 10:21:53 »
Now I see them run the same drops for AliExpress items rather than be the venue for creative minds (there are still those, but too far and few than before).

The more I think about it, the more I become frustrated with iMav's decision, but gh still is my keeb home and always will be.

(Still joined Kt to make sure no one took my name!)

Agreed with everything here.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:38:51 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

Hey man sad to see you go, hope you enjoyed your lengthy 2 month stay over here, must've been hard to turn a new page.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:39:56 »
naaaaaaaah
I love Elzy

Offline gutsack

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:02:38 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

Hey man sad to see you go, hope you enjoyed your lengthy 2 month stay over here, must've been hard to turn a new page.

lol

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:15:15 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

The only person leaving who's been active is norbauer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 16:39:08 »
Keebtalk.com
Here's the announcement.

Bye bye GH.

The only person leaving who's been active is norbauer.

But he's going to miss all the incoming attractive Gekha Females ??

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 13:55:18 »
For people have concerns about our intentions or the choice of tech platform, I made a pretty detailed set of answers about that recently over at Keebtalk. I'm a deeply cynical person myself and entirely sympathetic to skepticism, but please don't just operate on assumptions about our motives. Actually look into the specifics of how we're doing things and then hold us directly accountable. This isn't a grasp for prestige or power; we just wanted to be part of creating a solution rather than just being idly negative about the sale and how it played out. For me, Keebtalk grew out of a deep love of GeekHack and our community.

I'm shocked norbauer decided to up and leave, but I'm assuming it's his distaste for Massdrop. I agree that Massdrop has become different nowadays than when I first joined. Now I see them run the same drops for AliExpress items rather than be the venue for creative minds (there are still those, but too far and few than before).

I actually don't have anything against Massdrop at all. I did a few of my first group buys through them and explored doing one with them recently (although I ultimately decided against it). I've always had great dealings with people there at an interpersonal level (Yanbo, Kunal, etc.). If I have any complaint about them, it's just that they usually want such a high margin on top of everything that it just makes projects not worth doing for the creator/designer, but I think this arises out of a commercial desire to survive, not malice. Like a lot of folks in the community, my feelings about MD are simply mixed.

I also adore GeekHack as a community and have no desire to kill it; I'm not deleting my account here or anything. (Though I'll probably wrap up my last group buys here and move the others over to KT). I just wanted to help create a new place for us to converge online that would have an actual, formally-registered and codified non-profit charter and a board of trustees to ensure no party or vendor has privileged influence, control, data-access, or ownership. I think it's a good way to address those of us who have concerns about the sale of GeekHack (independent of who bought it), while taking it as a chance to make some nice usability, design, and tech improvements that I've always wanted to see here.

If nothing else, perhaps a competing alternative will help hold Massdrop accountable in their actions in regulating GH in future, in case they start to have undue influence (directly or indirectly) on the curation of the site. I don't know the member who started this thread, but it raises immediate red flags to me, for example, that this obviously extremely-directly-relevant subject was moved to a separate "off topic" corner of the site, away from the Massdrop acquisition announcement.

Anyway, we started work on project on Tuesday, well before we heard that Massdrop was the buyer. Based on all the rumors here, we thought we would be rescuing GeekHack from a hostile takeover by a Chinese data-mining company. It primarily was the fact that GeekHack could be put up for sale like that at all that bothered us, so ultimately we came to the conclusion that the identity of the buyer just didn't really matter. It honestly never occurred to us that Massdrop might even be the high bidder (and I don't think anyone at GH was seriously speculating that that at the time either.)

For whatever it's worth, here's my (admittedly hastily-thrown-together) video explaining my feelings about the GeekHack sale and why I wanted to help create a new place for us to gather online. I hope it and my other written answers linked above help address some of the concerns raised in this thread.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:14:48 »
I don't know the member who started this thread, but it raises immediate red flags to me, for example, that this obviously extremely-directly-relevant subject was moved to a separate "off topic" corner of the site, away from the Massdrop acquisition announcement.

It is particularly off-topic, IMO, and definitely not related to the announcement, but seemed designed to take advantage of that announcement, as the startup of keyboard talk seemed to be.  I mean, this has been an open issue for a while; I've only been here for two years, and I've even seen it, had concerns.  But nothing was done before now, which seemed to be opportunistic at best.  I think it was a failure of the community as a whole that it came to this when it has been an obvious problem for a while now, and I include myself in that responsible sector. 

I do hope that what you are saying now is true, and hold a cautious optimism in both cases, reserving judgment for proof of good intentions.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:18:58 »
I don't know the member who started this thread, but it raises immediate red flags to me, for example, that this obviously extremely-directly-relevant subject was moved to a separate "off topic" corner of the site, away from the Massdrop acquisition announcement.

It is particularly off-topic, IMO, and definitely not related to the announcement, but seemed designed to take advantage of that announcement, as the startup of keyboard talk seemed to be.  I mean, this has been an open issue for a while; I've only been here for two years, and I've even seen it, had concerns.  But nothing was done before now, which seemed to be opportunistic at best.  I think it was a failure of the community as a whole that it came to this when it has been an obvious problem for a while now, and I include myself in that responsible sector. 

I do hope that what you are saying now is true, and hold a cautious optimism in both cases, reserving judgment for proof of good intentions.

It's a self promotion post. It added nothing to the previous thread and actively derailed the discussion.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:22:58 »
^ I was trying to say it nicer :P

Offline norbauer

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:27:16 »
It's a self promotion post. It added nothing to the previous thread and actively derailed the discussion.

So far as I know, I don't even know who the person is who posted it (sorry, GeneriksGiraffe). So it's certainly not self-promotion.

Anyway, Keebtalk itself is a very direct and explicit response by some GeekHack members to the announcement, so it's hardly a non sequitur in that conversation. Moving it away just looks like an attempt to sideline criticism.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:29:17 »
Since I've been a mod on this site for so long, my on-line persona here probably melds into "mod speak" naturally.  But here's my personal non-moderator opinion:

I like to think of myself as someone who tries to look at things objectively, looking for an understanding of all sides' intentions before jumping to conclusions. 

Let's dissect the recent issues people have had with the site ownership changing hands and the transition period:

Part 1: The Announcement.  Yes, it rattled us all.  Some may have had a good time reading the drama, those of us who've invested a lot into the site over the years were bitterly disappointed by such turn of events and the uncertainty.

Part 2: The auction.  Wow, we're just being auctioned off to the highest bidder.  Note: most of the bidders are commercial entities of some sort: either data collection, or vendors.  There are some attempts to organize a community buy-out, but if I'm honest, I note that a lot of those people are already involved in commercial activity too.

Part 3: Learning that it was Massdrop who bought the server.  Massdrop contacts the moderation team (via Will), we do a LOT of talking to sort out what each side has in mind, I fluctuate between concern and "what if" to "okay, this is not so bad, thanks for letting us do our own thing", to finally "this is probably one of the best possible outcomes, considering we will hopefully get some help with the actual website upgrades now that are sorely needed.

Part 4: People who never seemed to care much about what the original owner did with their data (we really don't know, do we?) are suddenly super concerned.  Nothing has changed so far in regards to their data, and an actual legal team will be looking into compliance with current laws--surely that's better than it was before?  But fearmongering takes over, and some people just lose it.  Which brings me to

Part 5: New sites start popping out.  Take this one.  Run by--guess who--random people about whom you have NO TRUE IDEA in regards to their intentions with your personal data OR their intentions for starting new forums.  You take their word for it?  Oh they promise they won't do anything with your data, okay.  How is that any different than taking our word?  There was a newsletter sent out by a commercial vendor who is at odds with Massdrop, advertising the new community that's run and moderated by commercial vendors, presenting it as some safe haven.  Please...  Let's be realistic.  Who are the main driving forces to push people into this new community if not people with commercial interests and their own products and who already advertise their goods and plans on multiple forums and chats--geekhack is just another advertising platform for them.  I'm sorry if you disagree, but I see no support from them for the actual old community here that's bigger than the group buys, bigger than the marketplace.  They see the potential conflict of interest to themselves and present it as something else.

If you wish to go and create a new forum--please do.  There are lots of other forums and chats already.  But please have the common courtesy to not actively attempt to splinter a much older community and advertise your platform here like some saving grace for us all.

Anyway, Keebtalk itself is a very direct and explicit response by some GeekHack members to the announcement, so it's hardly a non sequitur in that conversation. Moving it away just looks like an attempt to sideline criticism.

Just as this quoted post is pure manipulation.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:34:49 »
Agreed.  And this post isn't criticism.  It might not be self-promotion, but at it's purest, it's promotion.  And to say otherwise is disingenuous at best.  You're losing that hilltop if you ever had it...

Offline norbauer

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 15:46:13 »
I totally get the sense of personal investment in GeekHack that you mentioned in your post, Photoelectric. I could totally imagine how what we're doing could feel almost like an attack, and to the extent that is true I deeply regret it. It certainly isn't and was never meant to be. I was actually really saddened to have read your post—to learn that our project could make you feel so strongly that it would inspire this sort of reaction.

All I can do is appeal to the countless personal interactions I've had with GH members in the past, including you, in which I hope folks would have gotten a sense of my character and motivations. I do technically sell stuff to the community sometimes, but frankly being a "commercial vendor," all told, so far has only lost me money, year over year; I do the work and take the financial risk because it's fun making stuff and sharing it with people who have similar enthusiasms. I'm not sure if it'll ever be a profitable activity for me.

To answer your point #5, for whatever it's worth, it is the sincere hope of those of us who got the site off the ground simply to step into the background of Keebtalk as quickly as possible and just let the community do its thing. We're establishing a non-profit trust to own and control the site, and we're actively looking to add non-vendor trustees and moderators to help ensure that no person or vendor gets preferential treatment. (It's actually really hard to find someone active in this community who hasn't run a group buy or sold something in some capacity.) We're documenting our process right on the site, being transparent about any potential perceived conflicts, and working to mitigate them. To the extent legally possible, we intend to codify all of the rules and promises of the site into the charter of the non-profit itself, so nobody has to take our word for anything: they'll just be able to read the by-laws and examine the public financials.

In the meantime, I hope it won't be too hard for people to empathize with our strong reaction to what happened here earlier this week, since almost everyone avowedly felt the same way. We just wanted to try to do something constructive in response, and Keebtalk has been our humble attempt. If anyone else had a similar reaction to the announcement (as it seemed most people did), then I hope you at least can understand some of the impetus we felt to do something.

Again, I regret and apologize for any perceived personal affront. This was very much never our intention and, based on the posts of the moderation team and community in response to the sale announcement, I actually expected a warm reception—even from the most committed and die-hard GH participants. I hope we can resist the natural human impulse to turn things into competitive teams and zero-sum games and instead just try to work together for the good of the broader keyboard community without ascribing to terribly negative motives to each other, at least until proven otherwise. :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 15:57:08 »
I hope it won't be too hard for people to empathize with our strong reaction to what happened here earlier this week, since almost everyone avowedly felt the same way. We just wanted to try to do something constructive in response, and Keebtalk has been our humble attempt. If anyone else had a similar reaction to the announcement (as it seemed most people did), then I hope you at least can understand some of the impetus we felt to do something.

There are many ways of doing something constructive in response.  Staying here and working on making this community a good place for everyone is an option.  Quitting immediately and starting something else is also an option.  There are multiple options in between, but let's not act like Massdrop taking ownership of the server is certain to lead to some doom and that your option was the only constructive one.  Again, whatever you do with your own site is your business, but please change the advertising narrative to be a more objective and realistic one if you want it to not look opportunistic and serving the interests of those vendors and commercial entities who chose to move to the new forum.

Offline gutsack

Split off from Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:12:40 »
...but please don't just operate on assumptions about our motives. Actually look into the specifics of how we're doing things and then hold us directly accountable. This isn't a grasp for prestige or power; we just wanted to be part of creating a solution rather than just being idly negative about the sale and how it played out. For me, Keebtalk grew out of a deep love of GeekHack and our community.

This feels like a highly ironic sentiment given your actions.

"Please don't just operate on assumptions" after you immediately operate on assumptions with MD's intent when buying GH...

"This isn't a grasp for prestige or power" when establishing a new forum that you yourself control...

"Rather than just being idly negative"... your wall-of-text gloom-and-doom immediate reaction to the MD purchase announcement which basically says GH is dead and sold out to corporate evildoers...

"Keebtalk grew out of a deep love of GH" but you created it two days ago 5 hours after the announcement and apparently you're entirely dismissing that MD might actually have a deep love of GH too.

Look, do your thing and what you feel is right, and you're a smart and talented guy, but I think there's a genuine lack of self-awareness here in what your actions mean vs what you say.

If you want the community to grow and remain strong, immediately considering it dead and buried and creating your own is not the most caring reaction.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:19:03 »
As far as Tp4 is concerned.. 

Deep LOVE of Geekhack..

-->> doesn't begin until you have at least 3000 posts..

Many o ya'll are Well on your way.. We welcome you.. !!

But, let's be honest about the talkitive intentions here..

Ya'll want to be part of the discussion,  SURE,  but until we see proper evidence of your ALLEGED Devotion..

There are no grounds for the insults you guys are hurling about at iMav/Mods/Massdrop/Each-other.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:59:36 »
I was on Keebtalk. The word Keeb already annoyed me. But i don't like the forum software they run on it. It's nice on mobile but for desktop it sucks ass. I will stay here on Geekhack :) .
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 06:24:16 »
Bye.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 07:25:47 »
"Keeb" sounds to me like some kind of food that is eaten between or inside some kind of bread.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:34:21 »
"Keeb" sounds to me like some kind of food that is eaten between or inside some kind of bread.

little known fact, keeb is actually short for keebab, and keebtalk is an enthusiast community for skewered meats

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:40:33 »

little known fact, keeb is actually short for keebab, and keebtalk is an enthusiast community for skewered meats

:eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:56:32 »

:eek:

Shawarma.. LOVE IT..

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:21:21 »
eh

until or if massdrop actually does anything detrimental to this website that actually warrants the behavior of so many dramatic individuals I don't really know why everyone is so obsessed with prophesying the end of days. I guess the only "benefit" of all the children throwing temper tantrums is that it surely signals to massdrop that they're walking on eggshells.

I still think it's fascinating how everyone acts like deskthority or hell even /r/mk don't exist- so I'm not really sure what unmet market need "keebtalk" (ugh that name, it would've been so much better if they went with keyboard talk) is filling.

I guess drama is fun here and there but at some point get a grip lol
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:31:35 by schoolbus »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #50 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 16:51:21 »
This new website is dumb enough to verify and allow Ripster to join, he couldn't even give the site a month before destroying it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 17:49:22 »
eh

until or if massdrop actually does anything detrimental to this website that actually warrants the behavior of so many dramatic individuals I don't really know why everyone is so obsessed with prophesying the end of days. I guess the only "benefit" of all the children throwing temper tantrums is that it surely signals to massdrop that they're walking on eggshells.

I still think it's fascinating how everyone acts like deskthority or hell even /r/mk don't exist- so I'm not really sure what unmet market need "keebtalk" (ugh that name, it would've been so much better if they went with keyboard talk) is filling.

I guess drama is fun here and there but at some point get a grip lol

I agree with it being unnecessary. They had r/mk and deskthority to turn to but opted to make yet another mk site. Two of the three founders weren't even active much here.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 09:36:30 »
Those of us who primarily frequent DT have discussed this very thing and it seems that there is this perception of DT as being elitist to put it mildly. On the subject of "keebtalk", I'll never join so long as the word "keeb" remains in the name. That word is definitely one of the stupidest things to ever come out of this hobby. Or maybe I'm just being too "elitist", amd I should start calling skating stores "skeeb" stores or winter sports stores "sneeb" stores.  :rolleyes:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:08:56 »
Those of us who primarily frequent DT have discussed this very thing and it seems that there is this perception of DT as being elitist to put it mildly. On the subject of "keebtalk", I'll never join so long as the word "keeb" remains in the name. That word is definitely one of the stupidest things to ever come out of this hobby. Or maybe I'm just being too "elitist", amd I should start calling skating stores "skeeb" stores or winter sports stores "sneeb" stores.  :rolleyes:

You are on to something here.... gotta go to the sneeb store to pick me up some skeebs so i can go mounteeb skeebing.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 17:35:42 »

That is such a Deskthority response.   :rolleyes:

Offline rxc92

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 04:30:53 »

That is such a Deskthority response.   :rolleyes:

To be fair, he's also writing 'China' in a way that's been incorrect since the 50's, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 09:01:49 »
To be fair, he's also writing 'China' in a way that's been incorrect since the 50's, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah take my completely unrelated comment with a grain of salt because of my spelling of China in my signature!  :thumb:

Mind telling me the correct way to write it then? Or are you insinuating that Traditional Chinese is "wrong" and only Simplified Chinese is the correct way to write it? FYI, my relatives are from Hong Kong which is primarily still using Traditional Chinese and not the "correct" Simplified Chinese of the mainland.

In any case, great way to completely derail a topic because of semantics!  ;D
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rxc92

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 20:58:20 »
Mind telling me the correct way to write it then? Or are you insinuating that Traditional Chinese is "wrong" and only Simplified Chinese is the correct way to write it? FYI, my relatives are from Hong Kong which is primarily still using Traditional Chinese and not the "correct" Simplified Chinese of the mainland.

In any case, great way to completely derail a topic because of semantics!  ;D

Neither's wrong semantically, it's just, like I said, wrong in an official setting because no country calls China by that name. It's like calling Germany 'Allemagne', technically correct but clearly flawed. Using a regional spelling is definitely less correct than the official name  :thumb: Can be a little hard to understand if you only see from the perspective of only a small region that insists on being different. 

Also weren't you the one that derailed the topic by complaining about the fact that they used 'keeb' instead of 'keyboard'? Seems a little pot n' kettle to me, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 21:01:46 by rxc92 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 03:00:07 »
if you catch my drift.

Only Takumi Fujiwara can catch your drift.