Author Topic: The Epsilon Keyboard  (Read 201453 times)

Offline regack

Re: The Epsilon Keyboard
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:06:19 »
I would recommend making another thread for it and a cool new name xi (ξ), which is the symbol for universal set.

Got a big new update and I think I'm going to do this.  This thread is getting stale.

The Epsillon Keyboard could NEVER BE STALE!!!  That said, your software/firmware deserves it's own thread...  :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 10:36:03 »
It is done.  Please go here for new updates to the firmware from now on: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

I fixed up a buch of really stupid issues and added a really cool interactive console for changing "virtual DIP switches".

Basically you put your cursor on a text editor, turn on the console mode, and then interact with the keyboard as if you were in a shell.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 13:17:02 »
I know that there hasn't been an update to this thread in a while, but I'm just now getting around to building up the board.  :-[ My switches and stabilizers are arriving tomorrow and I hope to have it built-up for next weekend, so perhaps I'll have some photos of the build in the next couple of weeks.

However, I have a question about the spacebar. I know that it's an off-center 6x and I was curious if SP, or anyone else for that matter, has a mold?

I'm planning on using the upcoming Nuclear Data Green key cap set for this board and was just curious what options might be available. My expectation is that I'd have to custom cut a 6.25x and move the mounting points, but figured I'd ask here to see what other options exist.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 13:19:13 »
However, I have a question about the spacebar. I know that it's an off-center 6x and I was curious if SP, or anyone else for that matter, has a mold?

I'm planning on using the upcoming Nuclear Data Green key cap set for this board and was just curious what options might be available. My expectation is that I'd have to custom cut a 6.25x and move the mounting points, but figured I'd ask here to see what other options exist.

I've honestly just been using sets from a G81-7000. I'm really into POM caps these days and since the keyboard was designed for that spacebar, it works well for me. I'm not sure what your options are with aftermarket caps.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #354 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 13:51:01 »
It was designed to use the caps from the G81, and I have not seen a space bar like that anywhere else.  SP makes a 6x space bar but it has different pin configuration.

It's funny.  I made my Epsilon as a sort-of novelty board.  One that would be cheap and somewhat interesting to build, but not necessarily a daily driver.  As it turns out, I use it more than any of my other keyboards.  I love the compact layout and the nature of the board makes it really good for hacking on firmwares.

I kinda want to build an Epsilon V2 with a SP standard spacebar and LED backlighting now

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #355 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 22:00:41 »
It was designed to use the caps from the G81, and I have not seen a space bar like that anywhere else.  SP makes a 6x space bar but it has different pin configuration.

It's funny.  I made my Epsilon as a sort-of novelty board.  One that would be cheap and somewhat interesting to build, but not necessarily a daily driver.  As it turns out, I use it more than any of my other keyboards.  I love the compact layout and the nature of the board makes it really good for hacking on firmwares.

You had specific goals for the original Epsilon and I think you executed them perfectly. The fact that you expanded your project to allow others to participate was a bonus and something that I am grateful for.

I kinda want to build an Epsilon V2 with a SP standard spacebar and LED backlighting now

:eek:

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 22:38:24 »
The 11900 has a off center 6x spacebar

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:22:42 »
My bottom plate just came back. JDCarpe was kind enough to laser etch the copper and he did a fantastic job! Don't know that anyone will ever see it once the keyboard is completed, but I still think it's cool. Thank you JD!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #358 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:24:15 »
Dude that's awesome

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 06:09:05 »
Mad jelly!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 00:26:41 »
Damn. Incredible work.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline thienhoangbr

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 23:56:23 »
I want create Epsilon Keyboard with teensy 2.0.
Are you help me code?
I dont have code and firmware?
this is my layout:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/f40342f9ab907b5782aa05bbc2c1dcf2

Thanks very much.