Author Topic: UK meetup? (on hold)  (Read 48764 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
UK meetup? (on hold)
« on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:45:46 »
Hey guys! I'm currently in Milan for work for the next month or so and was thinking of visiting the UK on one of my many free weekends... just wondering if there would be any interest for a meetup for geekhackers maybe in the next month or so on one of the weekends? Would be great to meet all you fine fellows  :)

On hold for the time being
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 00:11:29 by swimmingbird »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: UK meetup?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:52:35 »
I think someone tried to organise a UK meetup a while back.  Not sure if it went anywhere, but I don't recall seeing any pictures, so maybe not.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:53:59 »
I think someone tried to organise a UK meetup a while back.  Not sure if it went anywhere, but I don't recall seeing any pictures, so maybe not.

The US ones seem to be so successful! Wonder why there hasn't been a good UK one yet (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Offline joey

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:02:14 »
I'd be up for it

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:08:17 »
I'd be up for it

I'm going to through out a hypothetical date of the weekend of the 17th/18th October - if anyone is interested let me know  :)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:10:04 »
I'll try to make it, if it's in London.
I think the reason the last attempt failed was because the venue was a gaming convention.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:16:22 »
I would love to but BUT that weekend I have plans with people :c and London would be too far for me anywhere it would need to be like the midlands for me to make it :/ I think bunny was wanting to do a meet up but I don't think anything happened of it as that was listed for August :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:26:52 »
I would love to but BUT that weekend I have plans with people :c and London would be too far for me anywhere it would need to be like the midlands for me to make it :/ I think bunny was wanting to do a meet up but I don't think anything happened of it as that was listed for August :X

I'm pretty flexible on the date - any weekend in october would work for me
If anyone is interested please post what date would work best and if london would be alright for the meetup

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:53:53 »
I'm game

Though London would be a hassle to get to and expensive to stay the night, me and bunny chatted about August but with him moving house and his little nipper on the way it just never happened (which makes sense lol)

But yeah I'm down for anything in the Midlands as I'm in Brum City Center, still need to go for a drink with Katty actually..
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2015, 06:55:44 by baldgye »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:07:52 »
17th/18th October is the quarter finals of the world cup. I'm out unless it's a combined keyboard and rugby-watching meetup, or we're done by 8pm (New Zealand match starts at 8pm)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:09:43 »
A meet up during a world cup weekend game would be horrendous, especially in London lol

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:14:31 »
im happy to host one in brighton at any time
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:26:04 »
im happy to host one in brighton at any time

I'd be happy to do Brighton

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:34:57 »
But yeah I'm down for anything in the Midlands as I'm in Brum City Center, still need to go for a drink with Katty actually..

Plz.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:37:39 »

Plz.

It would be great to get everyone in the same place but it seems like people in the midlands can't really make it down south.... not sure what to do... midlands meetup and then south meetup?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:38:43 »

Plz.

It would be great to get everyone in the same place but it seems like people in the midlands can't really make it down south.... not sure what to do... midlands meetup and then south meetup?

I can make it down south, its just me and katy literally live in the same city

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:41:11 »

Plz.

I can make it down south, its just me and katy literally live in the same city

should I organise a playdate?  :p

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:10:11 »

Plz.

yeah and do one in wales for me please
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline zombimuncha

Re: UK meetup? (in planning)
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:26:40 »
Seems like people are unwilling to travel for just a "meetup." So maybe it should be more of a KeyCon type of thing, with presentations and giveaways and whatnot.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:40:08 »
I'd be down, hell me and katty are meeting up in brum next week... it's just planning it and tbh I'd rather go somewhere nice rather than london haha

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:52:58 »
I'm kinda interested but I'm in the south west so as expected, nowhere near anyone else.

I've lugged a suitcase of headphone related stuff to London and Manchester on the train before but would need more padding for my little keyboard collection.  Oh and it would have to be long enough to justify a night or two in a hotel...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 17:17:22 »
I'd be down for this but hell to London. Midlands would be perfect. I'd sleep at baldgye's.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 17:23:10 »
I'd be down for this but hell to London. Midlands would be perfect. I'd sleep at baldgye's.
BALDGYES BEEN CHEATING ON ME?!?!

But yeah as with what foxer said something slightly further north than London would be a lot better.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 17:31:10 »
i can only do it down south what with the baby about to drop

but im happy to host and make arrangements, i can put a few people up if need be, brighton is like half an hour out of london, on the sea, lots to do etc

but yeah, sadly i have to count myself out of anywhere else

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 01:03:39 »

Aww yeah only got one bed tho ;)

BALDGYES BEEN CHEATING ON ME?!?!

But yeah as with what foxer said something slightly further north than London would be a lot better.

I'm very liberal

But I'm down for doin something with folk and I think we should try and get bunny involved, given everything he has done, I'm down for a weekend in Brighton

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 01:45:13 »
I'm up for a trip to Brighton, given enough advance notice.
When's the baby due? Maybe we should wait until Bunny's had a chance to re-learn the art of sleeping.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 06:47:02 »
I'm up for a trip to Brighton, given enough advance notice.
When's the baby due? Maybe we should wait until Bunny's had a chance to re-learn the art of sleeping.

the baby is due anyday, but its no problem if its local to me to make time as long as its not within the next week

ill even bring goodies for everyone

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 06:48:33 »
ill even bring goodies for everyone

RITE THATS IT EVERYONE TO BRIGHTON

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 06:50:53 »
Ok so I'm still thinking of maybe doing 2 meetups - both on the same weekend. I'm thinking the first one will be in Brighton on a Saturday (maybe the 17th of October or possibly the 24th depending on what works for everyone) and then one on the Sunday for our more northerly friends that can't make it down

Thoughts?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 06:53:00 »
I'm going to have to work out when I'm available but I'm down for that

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 06:58:36 »
I'm going to have to work out when I'm available but I'm down for that

Sweet - does anyone know of a good calendar tool that we could use to see which dates work for which people?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:00:28 »
the 24th is the best for me out of those dates, and teh weekend of the 17th i have a show

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:01:16 »
what sort of hours are we thinking? Day trip or overnight?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:04:48 »

I was thinking to go down Saturday morning and stop over the Saturday night in a hotel or something, but I don't know the area

I can't do the 24th (that weekend) as turns out I've got family stuff going on, but the following weekend is good for me... if that, helps? lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:13:13 by baldgye »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:22:50 »

I was thinking to go down Saturday morning and stop over the Saturday night in a hotel or something, but I don't know the area

I can't do the 24th (that weekend) as turns out I've got family stuff going on, but the following weekend is good for me... if that, helps? lol

Can't really do the following weekend as I'm headed back to Australia on the 30th

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:23:35 »

Can't really do the following weekend as I'm headed back to Australia on the 30th

haha typical! alright let me try and figure some **** out when I'm not at work :P
(but it's not a pre-requisite that I come, I'd like like too  :thumb: )

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:24:38 »
my show is on the night of the 17th

so i can do anytime but then

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:33:38 »

haha typical! alright let me try and figure some **** out when I'm not at work :P
(but it's not a pre-requisite that I come, I'd like like too  :thumb: )

It would be good to get as many people as possible
I know nothing about setting up these kinds of things - anybody got a preference on time of day/ location etc?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:34:08 »
Actually Bunny you would probably know best on what the best spot would be considering you live there

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:56:35 »
Actually Bunny you would probably know best on what the best spot would be considering you live there

location is easy but it would be sorta number dependent on where i would suggest, so get that kinda thing locked in, and i can work it out from there

once we have some people locked, perhaps start a skype  group chat or something, as im rubbish at checking the forum

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:00:20 »

location is easy but it would be sorta number dependent on where i would suggest, so get that kinda thing locked in, and i can work it out from there

once we have some people locked, perhaps start a skype  group chat or something, as im rubbish at checking the forum

Sounds good - doesn't seem like many people have seen this thread or maybe they aren't interested but I'd like to get some more people involved

Offline Hzza

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:01:44 »
Nice, I'd be up for a meet up for sure. 24th is the day before our daughters birthday so I'll try and swing a day trip down to the coast ;). Brighton's so close though I could more or less do whenever.

Offline joey

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:02:06 »
24th is fine for me

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:21:52 »
Alright I'll set the 24th in Brighton as the tentative date for now
I'll post a google form in a second so we can get an idea of numbers and so forth

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:23:12 »
Alright I'll set the 24th in Brighton as the tentative date for now
I'll post a google form in a second so we can get an idea of numbers and so forth

we need to get baldy in

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:30:46 »
Where is this... Brighton? Is it anywhere near the north coast of Scotland?

Yeah yeah, ok, I know. Ah well, I can't go, not least because of the 1400 mile round trip. Have fun, I shall expect to see pictures of trainers, exotic takeaway food, and pasty keyboard freaks to beat the best of the US meets :)
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:33:18 »
The reason I 'couldn't' make it is that my gf has a pretty important exam on the Monday and so if I came I'd be flying solo and might have to drive back later on the Saturday and it's a 7 hour round trip, let me have a think

if anyone wants to add me on skype I'm either bald_gye or baldgye I cant remember lol... all I know is that Jinro is my profile pic, coz he's so dreamy  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:36:51 by baldgye »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:38:27 »
Okay.. interest form is here

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:01:32 »
Quick update everyone - spoke with baldgye earlier and he might be able to do the 24th if we start a bit earlier - maybe around lunch time - I'm not too sure what we will do yet but please chuck out suggestions if you have any

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:14:40 »
I find it funny that an Aussie is organising the UK meetup :P

I might be able to come, I would probably drive down, but it's quite a way.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin