Author Topic: XX7 Megatron Artisan Keycaps Now on Massdrop  (Read 12622 times)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: XX7 Megatron Artisan Keycaps Now on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:37:37 »
more 3d printed trash?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 11:50:17 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline crbr

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 12:07:57 »
more 3d printed trash?

I am new around here, but that is exactly what I thought when I saw this massdrop hit.  Is there another reason these are desired?   

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:04:03 »
more 3d printed trash?

I am new around here, but that is exactly what I thought when I saw this massdrop hit.  Is there another reason these are desired?   

Likely your only option if you want a Megatron keycap.

Other than that, yeah, it's not that great.  3d printing still has a lot of work ahead of it.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:15:28 »
PSA: 3D PRINTED CAPS ARE NOVELTY CAPS, NOT ARTISAN CAPS.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:26:11 »

Artisan caps are novelty caps. They serve no purpose other than looking nice.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:27:49 »

I agree.

But novelty caps aren't always artisan caps.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:29:29 »

I agree.

my artisan keyboard says filco on the side of it
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 13:32:45 »

I agree.

my artisan keyboard says filco on the side of it

My artisan keyboard doesn't say anything at all, 2pro for labels. :P

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:14:27 »
Hipsters love that Artisan label.

Offline MagicSauce

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:03:57 »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 16:42:51 »
But I can buy sandpaper at the store?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:17:02 »
Hipsters love that Artisan label.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/artisan

I guess oxford is where all the hipsters hang out.
Oxford Dictionary just changes the meaning of a word if enough people use it incorrectly.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:04:01 »
What process(es) are superior to 3D printing and qualify a keycap as "artisan"?
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 12:24:21 by Eric-T »

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:37:18 »
What process(es) are superior to 3D printing are qualify a keycap as "artisan"?

Per the dictionary link above: "A worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand". 3D printing something for mass production is a lot different than those that take the time to make a mold and caps by hand.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 22:41:00 »

:)) :)) :)) :))

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 06:50:57 »
Show Image

Now those are some artisans I can get behind

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 09:42:35 »
Show Image

But... are they edible?  ;)

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:30:18 »
Ouch this thread :(  I understand that 3D printing isn't for everyone, and to most people they aren't artisans, but there's no need to **** all over someone's work.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:50:15 »
Ouch this thread :(  I understand that 3D printing isn't for everyone, and to most people they aren't artisans, but there's no need to **** all over someone's work.

Don't let yourself get down by these kinds of posts man. I must admit that I quite like the look and mix of color on those Megatron caps, "artisan" or not. They look good and it's all that matters imo.
Keep doing your thing and improving on these. I don't know why most people don't like 3D printed keycaps tbh... some can be really well made and look pretty sexy.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:53:04 by Vox_PT »

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:52:15 »

Don't let yourself get down by these kinds of posts man. I must admit that I quite like the look and mix of color on those Megatron caps, "artisan" or not. They look good and it's all that matters imo.
Keep doing your thing and improving one these. I don't know why most people don't like 3D printed keycaps tbh... some can be really well made and look pretty sexy.  :thumb:

Thanks man, just gets to me sometimes.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline dthai17

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:55:24 »

Yeah I really like these! Keep doing what you're doing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:25:59 »
Not my colours and I don't think the pics do them many favours (too bright and not enough shadow - I can barely make out the mouth) but I bet these look better in person.  The design also looks like it slopes towards the front which makes them more usable on a 60% as well as decorative, I'm glad to see the drop is going well :)

Out of interest is the colour of the Psychedelic random?  The bottom of the MX and Topre are completely different...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:38:58 »
Not my colours and I don't think the pics do them many favours (too bright and not enough shadow - I can barely make out the mouth) but I bet these look better in person.  The design also looks like it slopes towards the front which makes them more usable on a 60% as well as decorative, I'm glad to see the drop is going well :)

Out of interest is the colour of the Psychedelic random?  The bottom of the MX and Topre are completely different...

The topre and MX versions were both randomizedbso they'll be some differences.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:43:49 »

Your magenta/blue psychedelic cap was my first ever artisan. It was great, 3d printed or not. Thank you for offering pretty artisans at a really low cost.

I'm somewhat surprised at the responses you got. I say somewhat because I've noticed a lot of users1 ****ting on caps they don't like, which (A) is discouraging to people who want to try cap-making, (B) is a douchebag thing to do, and (C) removes any credibility when we call ourselves a "community."

It's exponentially more douchey when the insults come from artisans b/c a lot of these artisans are the reason people tried their hand at capmaking in the first place.

1not solely limited to the posters ITT

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 10:55:06 »

Your magenta/blue psychedelic cap was my first ever artisan. It was great, 3d printed or not. Thank you for offering pretty artisans at a really low cost.

I'm somewhat surprised at the responses you got. I say somewhat because I've noticed a lot of users1 ****ting on caps they don't like, which (A) is discouraging to people who want to try cap-making, (B) is a douchebag thing to do, and (C) removes any credibility when we call ourselves a "community."

It's exponentially more douchey when the insults come from artisans b/c a lot of these artisans are the reason people tried their hand at capmaking in the first place.

Well said. I couldn't agree more with your post.  ;)

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:03:38 »

Well said. I couldn't agree more with your post.  ;)

I agree, imagine people coming to your classified threads and **** all over your stuff...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:52:39 »
Aside from one of the early comments, I guess I just thought the main argument being made here was that you cannot call something designed on a computer and made by a machine "artisan" since artisan is a term that infers hand made.  It's not really an insult, just an argument of semantics.

Someone asked, but it wasn't answered.  You did mention that your caps are "grainy".  Can that graininess be sanded down for a smoother cap, or will that sand off the coloring?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:54:47 »
Someone asked, but it wasn't answered.  You did mention that your caps are "grainy".  Can that graininess be sanded down for a smoother cap, or will that sand off the coloring?

Yupp you can sand them yourself.  I've been reading up on new methods, and apparently the same floor wax/cleaner used to make the clear switch tops more evenly clear works really well.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:39:31 »
$15 for a cap you have to finish yourself? And you wonder why some people had an issue with your work?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 18:01:31 »
$15 for a cap you have to finish yourself? And you wonder why some people had an issue with your work?

I didn't say you have to, I said you can.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 12:31:10 »
Dang, remind me to never try and make my own caps unless I looking to be flogged by the "community" for doing so.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 15:44:23 »
Dang, remind me to never try and make my own caps unless I looking to be flogged by the "community" for doing so.

If you made your own keys by hand I think a lot of people in this thread would try to support you.

As for my main man XX7-  I remember reading about what you do to color the keys and it does require a bit more manual labor on your part which IMO is worthy of at least saying these are above the standard bar for 3D printed keys.

Take what people are saying and grow with it.  A suggestion to finish your keys by hand or do more mad scientist work with your filament may be just what you need to garnish respect working with what is effectively a digitally driven duplicating machine.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Siegx

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 00:56:11 »
I, for one, love the graininess of the keycap and think it looks beautiful.

Don't be discourage by these douches ****ting on the thread man, to each his own. :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:32:31 »

Don't be discourage by these douches ****ting on the thread man, to each his own. :))

Yes, ignore any and all criticism, that's the only true path to glory.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 11:57:23 »

Yes, ignore any and all criticism, that's the only true path to glory.

I'll gladly take any constructive criticism you have, would you care to give some suggestions?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 06:54:43 »
The double standards of this forum are disgusting.

X7, don't waste your time arguing with limited people. Your work and effort is much appreciated here and on rMK. The Megatron artisan keycap looks great and unique, but as for constructive criticism, what if you try to smoothen the surface of the keycap? The texture is not an issue for me at all, although I sadly don't own any of your artisans, but I know what a 3D printer texture feels like an can see why some customers would have a problem with it. I know that the grainy texture is a feature of the 3D printing method, but maybe you could sand down the keycaps a little bit? I think that many people would enjoy a sanded finish.

Another idea that crossed my mind, what if you use the 3D printer to print masters for resin casting? The possibilities are endless. You could use the Megatron keycap as a master for a resin keycap. Then you could cast it and polish/sand it to remove the grainy texture and imperfections. Now you have a better master, repeat the process until the texture is good enough in your judgement.

You could even use this method to create new designs. Personally, I find the Crowned Skull (Krytone) concept very appealing, due to the keycap being shorter and smoother for the touch, when a key press is required. Perhaps you could try this route for new designs, who knows?

As I said before, possibilities are endless for such a creative individual in possession of such an incredible tool that the 3D printer is.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 08:05:34 »
The double standards of this forum are disgusting.

X7, don't waste your time arguing with limited people. Your work and effort is much appreciated here and on rMK. The Megatron artisan keycap looks great and unique, but as for constructive criticism, what if you try to smoothen the surface of the keycap? The texture is not an issue for me at all, although I sadly don't own any of your artisans, but I know what a 3D printer texture feels like an can see why some customers would have a problem with it. I know that the grainy texture is a feature of the 3D printing method, but maybe you could sand down the keycaps a little bit? I think that many people would enjoy a sanded finish.

Another idea that crossed my mind, what if you use the 3D printer to print masters for resin casting? The possibilities are endless. You could use the Megatron keycap as a master for a resin keycap. Then you could cast it and polish/sand it to remove the grainy texture and imperfections. Now you have a better master, repeat the process until the texture is good enough in your judgement.

You could even use this method to create new designs. Personally, I find the Crowned Skull (Krytone) concept very appealing, due to the keycap being shorter and smoother for the touch, when a key press is required. Perhaps you could try this route for new designs, who knows?

As I said before, possibilities are endless for such a creative individual in possession of such an incredible tool that the 3D printer is.

Agreed. Having the ability to make a master key through 3d printing (assuming you can smooth it down) will allow you to make some pretty impressive resin cast caps. If you ever want to try it out, you should really check out the guides people have made here, here, here, and here. And of course, I'd be happy to share my limited experience with casting if you want.

But I think your caps are great now. I'm just saying MiTo is right that there is some intriguing potential for using your talent to make master keys and start casting.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:42:38 »
So because someone designed a cap on a computer, it's not an artisan? Do I need to return my BBV2s? Or is it just because it's 3D printed? Does that mean that if an artisan was cast from a machined mold it would no longer be an artisan? Does any of this mean we should be ****ting on the caps? Why can't people just respectfully share their opinion and move on?

Why did I just type a whole bunch of questions with no statements?  :confused:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:03:21 »
XX7, don't take any of this personally. I think what we're seeing here is the ongoing debate over the use of the term artisan for any keycaps, bleeding over to this particular product, catalyzed by the growing frustration and dislike for Massdrop.

Personally, I don't like the term artisan when talking about keyboard stuff. Not to diminish the craft, I just think the term has become a marketing buzzword and is being misapplied everywhere, not just in this hobby.

As for some constructive criticism, I like the design of the cap. Oldschool Megatron looks cool. The coarse, 3D-printed texture is not my favorite. I agree with the suggestions about using 3D printing to produce a master, then hand-finishing that master and using it to produce molds. Or if you can find a scalable way to finish 3D-printed parts, you can leverage the flexibility of 3D printing without sacrificing finish quality.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:15:48 »
Personally, I don't like the term artisan when talking about keyboard stuff. Not to diminish the craft, I just think the term has become a marketing buzzword and is being misapplied everywhere, not just in this hobby.

The mod team picked a word to differentiate between things you don't make but do sell (vendors) and things you do make and do sell (artisans). That's it. I don't really see the problem here. If you don't like it, call it something else - but the entity will not have changed, just the name, so it seems silly IMO. What do you hope to accomplish by calling them something other than artisans?

(I think that decision was made before I was a mod btw, so I can't comment on *why* - but I don't see the issue still ;) )

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:22:31 »
Show Image

But... are they edible?  ;)

Of course not, that's whey they're called artisan novelty pizzas.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:23:09 »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I already have some new finishing methods I've been working on (and they'll hopefully be fairly easy to scale up).  With the profit from this drop I was going to pick up some supplies for resin casting, as many have suggested.  Bcred ty for the links, those are going to be a huge help.

I'm also looking for suggestions on new designs (not blanks) so if anyone wants to contribute they're free to.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:25:16 »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I already have some new finishing methods I've been working on (and they'll hopefully be fairly easy to scale up).  With the profit from this drop I was going to pick up some supplies for resin casting, as many have suggested.  Bcred ty for the links, those are going to be a huge help.

I'm also looking for suggestions on new designs (not blanks) so if anyone wants to contribute they're free to.

I would kill for a cap with this symbol on it 

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:54:50 »

Since you asked, I'd like to express my preference towards angled faces/heads like the Crowned Skull from Krytone and the BroBot V2 by BroCaps. I find the design very elegant and delicate, it's hard to find somebody that dislike these designs. If you somehow manage to apply the concept of a head/face they used to some sort of subject (Kry used a skull, Bro used a robot), I believe you would reach a very large audience and succeed. I'm a big fan of straight lines, angles and smooth surfaces when it comes to artisan/novelty keycaps.

I can't wait to see the development of your new projects with the new tools and machinery that you mentioned you gonna acquire with the royalties. Super exciting, count on me for support!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 12:45:48 »

The mod team picked a word to differentiate between things you don't make but do sell (vendors) and things you do make and do sell (artisans). That's it. I don't really see the problem here. If you don't like it, call it something else - but the entity will not have changed, just the name, so it seems silly IMO. What do you hope to accomplish by calling them something other than artisans?

(I think that decision was made before I was a mod btw, so I can't comment on *why* - but I don't see the issue still ;) )
I've heard this explanation before. But frankly, it seems like overreach on the part of the moderation team. And what makes keycaps different from other things people make here? We don't have artisan PCBs or artisan keyboards. They're just custom. And the forum badge for these folks says "maker," which is a better modern term for what they do: "custom keycap maker" or just "maker."

My boards:
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:54:52 »

I've heard this explanation before. But frankly, it seems like overreach on the part of the moderation team. And what makes keycaps different from other things people make here? We don't have artisan PCBs or artisan keyboards. They're just custom. And the forum badge for these folks says "maker," which is a better modern term for what they do: "custom keycap maker" or just "maker."

Again, Artisan defines the subforum where they are sold - that's it.  It's also where people sell their USB cables, wrist rests, etc.

I'm confused as to how designating a section for handmade items separate from commercial enterprises is considered overreach?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 15:19:17 »
and I'M the mean one, eh XX7?