Author Topic: Someone selling a ton of clacks  (Read 8627 times)

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: Someone selling a ton of clacks
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:37:04 »
I still can't believe people pay this prices. That's insane to me.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:37:23 »
Thanks for the Daily Reddit Update! can't wait to see what's going to be in tomorrow's!

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:43:38 »
I didn't think these would sell at all.

Offline MagicSauce

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 21:50:00 »
Damn, almost $700 for that tricolor that's insane

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:04:55 »
 :eek: :eek:

All gone. Crazy

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 23:41:59 »
Yeah, especially when the original price was $16...

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cf5f_sku_3blk

Offline ika

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 23:46:40 »

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cf5f_sku_3blk

Beta Black Lotuses were probably like $10 when they were printed. Same principle.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:08:38 »
Some guy said he was resisting the urge to sell his car. Wow, these caps can easily destroy some people's lives if they don't have discipline

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:09:29 »

That's enough to make a grown man cry!

Excuse me while I find a tissue ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 01:30:27 »

Beta Black Lotuses were probably like $10 when they were printed. Same principle.

Beta Black Lotus was far less than that.  It was a rare that people really disliked, so often times the card was trashed/thrown away.  The rarity is due to how little people cared about that card.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:28:24 »
This makes me feel at home, go to GH to find reposts from Reddit and a different take on the same stuff
Kinda want a clack but aint going to give up $100 for one. I dont understand how people can fork up that much for a cap!
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:16:24 »
I wish I could sell my unused fountain pens as quickly as this person. :eek:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:19:24 »
I like how people on Reddit pay almost 2x as much as they would on GH classifieds. Do they hate us that much that they won't create an account to save a few hundred dollars?

Offline btctopre

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:57:54 »
I like how people on Reddit pay almost 2x as much as they would on GH classifieds. Do they hate us that much that they won't create an account to save a few hundred dollars?
gh-exclusive savings you say?

i've been on the board for over a year and i've seen a whopping zero clacks sold for <$100 on classifieds (moose had some octopink blanks that were technically priced individually below it, but had to be purchased as a set that put them just over $100). GH members rarely even sell clacks on GH anymore- mostly pm for profit, ebay them, or anonpost to mechmarket (like the GH'er i bought my f2 blue from). there are no exclusive savings to be had anywhere, outside of making friends or begging your ass off, both of which can be done on a person's preferred community platform.

(to note- webwit did offer clacks up at <$100 earlier this year on dt, with club members getting first shot at them (and an added 10% discount), so maybe these "GH-hating redditors" went there, where there's real savings to be had.)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 16:58:08 »

really? i can.

here's proof:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76255.0
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:25:54 »

really? i can.

here's proof:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45955.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76255.0

Paying those prices on eBay, Reddit, GH, or anywhere else is ridiculous to me.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:32:33 »
I'm thinking of investing in a long-term Classifieds Clack Bond. I'll put a more common color up there for 10x the current going amount and just wait until the market inevitably matures to my price point.

WTS F2 Blue - $1200 + S&H.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 17:33:11 »
Thanks for the Daily Reddit Update! can't wait to see what's going to be in tomorrow's!

My bad, next time I find something on Reddit that I think GeekHack users would find interesting, I'll flame reddit instead  ;)
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Belfong

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:46:26 »

(to note- webwit did offer clacks up at <$100 earlier this year on dt, with club members getting first shot at them (and an added 10% discount), so maybe these "GH-hating redditors" went there, where there's real savings to be had.)
I saw that thread probably a few days late. But I still posted on the thread wondering if there's any left and surprisingly the EK Yellow and Blue is still available because whoever wanted it backed off. webwit generously sold both to me! Maybe people subconsciously don't want to pay low price for clacks.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:57:12 »
I'm thinking of investing in a long-term Classifieds Clack Bond. I'll put a more common color up there for 10x the current going amount and just wait until the market inevitably matures to my price point.

WTS F2 Blue - $1200 + S&H.

"Investing in stupidity..."  It seems to work in other markets...  :P

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:33:02 »

I saw that thread probably a few days late. But I still posted on the thread wondering if there's any left and surprisingly the EK Yellow and Blue is still available because whoever wanted it backed off. webwit generously sold both to me! Maybe people subconsciously don't want to pay low price for clacks.
I think people just like to know that they have paid ridiculous amounts of money for a single cap. It's in the human nature to be that "small".... I had luck with webwit's sale and being a DT Club member, that way I was able to get my first and only cap at a decent price. Since then I tried to get the only other Clack that I want with no luck, no even an offer... Not that I care much anymore, if one day I will get a Candy Corn blank at a decent price I'll be happy and I will call it a nice surprise, but I refuse to pay those prices ... people feed a family with that money for a month in some places... it's just ... well sick
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:47:40 »

I think people just like to know that they have paid ridiculous amounts of money for a single cap. It's in the human nature to be that "small".... I had luck with webwit's sale and being a DT Club member, that way I was able to get my first and only cap at a decent price. Since then I tried to get the only other Clack that I want with no luck, no even an offer... Not that I care much anymore, if one day I will get a Candy Corn blank at a decent price I'll be happy and I will call it a nice surprise, but I refuse to pay those prices ... people feed a family with that money for a month in some places... it's just ... well sick

I personally don't feel like I would enjoy the feeling from paying such large amounts of money for a keycap.  I would constantly be thinking, "I could've taken my family on a trip for the weekend." or "I could've bought my wife, kids, and even myself something nice." so hundreds of dollars seems more wasteful to me.  Now, if we are talking a full keyset I can justify spending a little more, but even then I'm not spending more than $200.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:48:48 »

I personally don't feel like I would enjoy the feeling from paying such large amounts of money for a keycap.  I would constantly be thinking, "I could've taken my family on a trip for the weekend." or "I could've bought my wife, kids, and even myself something nice." so hundreds of dollars seems more wasteful to me.  Now, if we are talking a full keyset I can justify spending a little more, but even then I'm not spending more than $200.

What if it is Bill Gates buying them? Axe yourself that.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:52:46 »

What if it is Bill Gates buying them? Axe yourself that.

Well, I'm not Bill Gates which is why I stated "personally" at the beginning of my blurb.  If you have the disposable income to throw hundreds or thousands of dollars at single keycaps, gopher the gold and more power to you!  I mean, people with tons of disposable income spend thousands of dollars on CS:GO skins and they aren't even a physical item, so I am certainly aware that collectors will pay amounts for things that most people would consider absurd and that's fine, but I'm not at that level yet :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Someone selling a ton of clacks
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:14:51 »

i've been on the board for over a year and i've seen a whopping zero clacks sold for <$100 on classifieds (moose had some octopink blanks that were technically priced individually below it, but had to be purchased as a set that put them just over $100). GH members rarely even sell clacks on GH anymore- mostly pm for profit, ebay them, or anonpost to mechmarket (like the GH'er i bought my f2 blue from). there are no exclusive savings to be had anywhere, outside of making friends or begging your ass off, both of which can be done on a person's preferred community platform.

Must have missed my sale nearly exactly a year ago.  ;)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66023.0

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:16:29 »

You wouldn't happen to be selling any caps would you :D

Offline btctopre

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:21:13 »

correction, hoffman only person to sell clack for less than $100 via GH classifieds that i've (now) seen ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:22:27 »

You wouldn't happen to be selling any caps would you :D

Haha.  xD  I've pared the collection down to a level that I'm content with for now.  I did a lot of purging last year though.  :eek:

correction, hoffman only person to sell clack for less than $100 via GH classifieds that i've (now) seen ;)

:P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:34:42 »

I've sold a few, sold a few Bros, and I've been thinking of doing it again soon on a Clack blank I have.  I've also had some sold to me at cost as well.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:54:08 »

This has to be my favorite sale because Hoffman gave me my first artisan. A Binge Lion  :thumb:

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 16:58:52 »

This has to be my favorite sale because Hoffman gave me my first artisan. A Binge Lion  :thumb:

Same for me, Hoff best ~

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 17:50:31 »

Same for me, Hoff best ~

Hehe, I'm glad they went to people that are still around and enjoying them!  :D

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:45:36 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77232

Enough said?

if only I could of seen into the future. Purchased every clack ever made. Hold on to them. sell them 10 years later. Purchase downtown Toronto Condo.....i mean the building itself.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:07:35 »
Can someone explain why Clacks are valued so highly aftermarket? Also, what happened to the maker?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:26:47 »
Can someone explain why Clacks are valued so highly aftermarket? Also, what happened to the maker?

Rare collectible item, supply and demand, hype, they're high quality artisans, etc. take your pick. If you can imagine any collectible items in your experience, it's the same thing.

No one's really sure what happened to clack himself.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:28:40 »
clack remains active but sources speak of a curse that prevents him from making anymore caps. Until the curse is lifted, ppl like you and i can only dream of obtaining a clack

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:43:40 »
clack remains active but sources speak of a curse that prevents him from making anymore caps. Until the curse is lifted, ppl like you and i can only dream of obtaining a clack

Maybe I'll write a murder-mystery on the disappearance of Clack. The Clack Conspiracy. I'll sell copies of the book for one Clack each.

Edit: Seriously though it's kind of interesting how they just stopped being produced.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:57:39 by DAVYtm »

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 17:43:57 »

The abridged version of why they are expensive:

High quality
One of the first cap makers
Collectors
Limited color ways
Unknown if the maker will produce caps/ similar color ways in the future

It has become a sign of prestige, wealth, and occasionally seniority

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 12:59:57 »
..... seniority
...or senility if you are ready to pay what some ask for. But that's me and my 0.02$

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 13:21:10 »
So glad that I do not remotely like the look of clacks, one less expense

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:24:19 »
Yep, except for the blanks I don't give a damn too, the skulls are meh

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:54:48 »

Imho the skulls don't have the handcrafted look that the other artisans have (ie, looks 3d printed) .. Completely my opinion

Offline dohbot

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:09:05 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77232

Enough said?

if only I could of seen into the future. Purchased every clack ever made. Hold on to them. sell them 10 years later. Purchase downtown Toronto Condo.....i mean the building itself.

To be completely fair, they did start for under 100$
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:31:27 »

Imho the skulls don't have the handcrafted look that the other artisans have (ie, looks 3d printed) .. Completely my opinion

Hmm.  Never thought Clacks looked even remotely 3D printed.  You can even see the tool marks and such in the sculpt.  And 3D printing leaves a very noticeable surface finish on items.  But anyway, totally understand you not liking them.  ;)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 18:35:30 »
lol have you seen how ****ty 3D printed caps looks? No offense to anyone but yeah.

Clacks (and Bros, KWKs, etc.) are work of art. Please don't put them in the same category as 3D printed caps.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 19:02:58 »
All those caps together is enough for a down payment on a car!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:13:28 »
lol have you seen how ****ty 3D printed caps looks? No offense to anyone but yeah.

Clacks (and Bros, KWKs, etc.) are work of art. Please don't put them in the same category as 3D printed caps.

I dont mean so much as the finish, but the styling. Clack skulls are really simple. Like I really dig BroCaps Reaper V1 and stump, but the BBV2 just looks "plain". I guess you could say I like the more "artistic" caps. With that said I do own a BBV2 but like my Reaper much more

Offline raymogi

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:32:13 »

I dont mean so much as the finish, but the styling. Clack skulls are really simple. Like I really dig BroCaps Reaper V1 and stump, but the BBV2 just looks "plain". I guess you could say I like the more "artistic" caps. With that said I do own a BBV2 but like my Reaper much more

Less is more I guess.

When I started back then, I'm in the same boat as you. Reaper is one of my favorite design and I see Clacks as just "skulls with different colors". Then I had the chance to own 1, then 2, and suddenly I'm just getting more and more. There's something about that design and that different choice of nice colors that brings out the true work of art in those caps. It's so damn pleasing to look at when you're resting from all those clacking.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 23:26:52 »

Less is more I guess.

When I started back then, I'm in the same boat as you. Reaper is one of my favorite design and I see Clacks as just "skulls with different colors". Then I had the chance to own 1, then 2, and suddenly I'm just getting more and more. There's something about that design and that different choice of nice colors that brings out the true work of art in those caps. It's so damn pleasing to look at when you're resting from all those clacking.

Agreed.  I was actually fairly unimpressed with the Clack skull design (had no interest in buying one, even at the $50 prices they were going for at that time) until I got one on loan and put it on my board.  The design is just so clean, and the feeling of pressing on a Clack is perfection.  There's something about the design that just works so well, it's kind of weird actually.  :))