Author Topic: [IC] GMK Aegyptus ☥ - Groupbuy is now LIVE!  (Read 33717 times)

Offline savageastr0naut

[IC] GMK Aegyptus ☥ - Groupbuy is now LIVE!
« on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:07:37 »
GMK Aegyptus

Group Buy is live HERE!

A keycap set themed around one of the greatest and most powerful civilizations in the history of the world.

Ancient Egypt, the mysterious civilization that dates as far back as the 4th millennium BCE. Its wonders preserved throughout the times in various forms of art, monuments, and hidden secrets to be rediscovered thousands of years later. The impact of such a civilization would ruffle the pages of history and change the world forever. Ancient Egypt was truly a civilization like no other. The agriculture, unique society, and of course the beliefs of the people truly made it a marvel of the ancient world – an oasis in the desert, Kemet. However, all things, no matter how great, eventually come to an end. Egypt was resurrected several times, but it never attained its former glory. The Egypt of antiquity came as close as it ever would to its mythical status. Some believe that the Greek and Roman influence of antiquity did more harm than good. Perhaps extraterrestrials are to blame. After all, how did they build the pyramids back then? Nonetheless, the impact of this once pinnacle civilization will echo throughout history and the sands of time for all eternity, even in the realm of the Duat - or so they say.

More
Interest Check Form
https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6

Scarab (coming soon) x GMK Aegyptus

Kits
renders by sGhost (sGhost#3666)

Pschent – Base Kit

Hedjet – Novelties Kit

Deshret – Spacebars Kit

Keyboard Renders
Atlas by Koobaczech

Dawn by Finite Design

Hubble65 by Mechs & Co. and Yoni Wolf

TGR Jane by yuktsi

Deskmats
designed by goldiwolfi

Collaborations
☥ RAMA
☥ Latrialum
☥ Artkey
☥ Nork Studios
☥ Sui Paracords - Custom Cable
☥ MarbleK - Wrist Rest
☥ Handemade by G.C.W. - Custom Keyboard Carrying Bag
☥ Leonardo Da Mouse - custom Aegyptus themed mouse

*please note: the production units will have gold USB connections

Colors
GMK L9, GMK N7, Pantone 4019C

It was rumored that Ancient Egypt was pristine hdj (white) and nbw (gold), everywhere you looked. However I believe it to have realistically been more beige/ivory as opposed to a pristine white. There is no way something remains white with that much sand around. Therefore, I think that GMK L9 and N7 capture that depiction beautifully. Moreover, wadj (green) was a popular color in Ancient Egypt. The Ancient Egyptians believed in a god who they called Osiris: the god of fertility, agriculture, the dead, and resurrection. It is said that Osiris' skin is wadj (green) in color. Therefore, it is incorporated into several aspects of the Ancient Egyptian culture and can be seen in things ranging from the use of Malachite rock (the source of all things green in Ancient Egypt) in ceremonial scarabs to the almighty Osiris himself and the Field of Reeds.

Vendors
☥ USA – Mechs & Co.
☥ Canada – DeskHero
☥ EU – CandyKeys
☥ UK – proto[Typist]
☥ Oceania – DailyClack
☥ SEA – ILUMKB
☥ Asia – ZFrontier

GMK Aegyptus Signature Banner
Show your support for GMK Aegyptus with this banner for your signature!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112098.0][img=https://i.imgur.com/NxbaUQz.png][/img][/url]

Special Thanks
I want to thank everyone who played a part, no matter how small or large, in the making of this set. My love for history and the worlds of past would not have come to life as the first keycap set that I have designed without you all. I am humbled to have designed a keycap set with such a powerful theme as this. My sincerest thanks and gratitude to the following people: CoolMike, goldiwolfi, sGhost, Fatboycarney, Break, Meika from Latrialum, Koobaczech, Konstantin – whose knowledge and insight on kitting has indirectly helped me, the guys over at Asero Foundry, and my fellow team members at Mechs & Co. 

Groupbuy Date - July 02, 2021

Follow me on Instagram!
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2022, 09:46:19 by savageastr0naut »

Offline savageastr0naut

Re: GMK Aegyptus
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:08:13 »
Updates Log

04/09/2021
☥ updated renders w/kitting changes

05/07/2021
☥ Vendors announced
☥ Deskmats announced

05/10/2021
☥ Color Comparison Chart added

05/14/2021
☥ Collaborations added - Leonardo Da Mouse custom Aegyptus themed mouse

06/09/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - waiting on protos of mouse and keyboard carrying case. Those should be done soon, before the GB start date.

06/14/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - Nork Studios added

06/16/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - Handmade by GCW custom Aegyptus themed keyboard carrying bag/case, photos added

06/18/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - RAMA renders added: Eye of Ra Brass PVD Esc, Pyramids of Giza Brass PVD Enter, Ankh tray.

06/22/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - SuiParacord cable collaboration photos added: white/gold MDPC-X, gold connector, green peek-through paracord/gold peek-through paracord

06/30/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - MarbleK Wrist Rest renders and marble slab sample photos added
☥ Groupbuy launch date changed from July 01, 2021 to July 02, 2021

06/30/2021
☥ Collaborations Updated - AseroFoundry Metal Artisan Keycap renders added!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2021, 19:41:15 by savageastr0naut »

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:09:46 »
Hey now, look at this.

Offline jackzyg

• https://elboard.store/
    • ELBoard Discord Channel
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:12:39 »
OMG!! Finally!!! My Aaru is so ready!!!!!!!!

Offline jackzyg

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:13:28 »
Your title needs an "[IC]" though I think???

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:17:03 »
Hey now, look at this.
Haha, check it out!

OMG!! Finally!!! My Aaru is so ready!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you like it, thank you! It's a nice match for the Aaru TKL, for sure.

Your title needs an "[IC]" though I think???
Updated, thank you for pointing that out.

Offline Mandzukic89

Re: [IC] GMK Aegyptus
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:29:44 »
Clean & stunning set! <3

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:52:46 »
Holy base kit, so much compatibility but why the 3rd r4 super? Also code and super, why not just one for consistency? Novelties are awesome and nice colors! glwic.

Edit: Consider adding another 3u spacebar for 3-1-3 support in spacebars kit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:57:37 by LittleAad »

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 10:56:44 »
omg, another egypt themed set

im gonna be broke this year  :'( :'(

glwic!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:08:10 »
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:12:24 »
Clean & stunning set! <3

Show Image

Thank You, I'm glad you all like the set!

omg, another egypt themed set

im gonna be broke this year  :'( :'(

glwic!
haha, please don't go broke! Nonetheless, thank you for the support.

Edit:
Holy base kit, so much compatibility but why the 3rd r4 super? Also code and super, why not just one for consistency? Novelties are awesome and nice colors! glwic.

Edit: Consider adding another 3u spacebar for 3-1-3 support in spacebars kit.

Thank You, I appreciate the kind words and the feedback.

To address a few things, the extra 1.5u super keys are an oversight on my end. Simply, I forgot to remove them before asking for renders. They shouldn't be in the base kit. I appreciate you pointing that out. As for the extra 3u spacebar in the spacebars kit, that's a fair point. I'll keep it in mind when I consider kit revisions, and if you haven't already, then please fill out the IC Google Form.

On that note, the extra B key should be in the Spacebars Kit as well and not in the Base Kit. I've already made note of it and the renders will be updated. I apologize for the confusion.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:19:02 by savageastr0naut »

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:20:38 »
Yes.

Offline Xanira

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:22:57 »
Egypt themed sets are the new weeb sets, looks nice though good luck with the interest check :)

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 11:56:54 »
ghost renders pog! is this the first mechs and co set by a mechs and co employee? very nice!

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:05:02 »
Buying an Aaru is getting more expensive than I thought, already bought 1 themed set and looking forward to two more, including this one. Can't wait to see the collabs.

GLWIC & GB

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:16:09 »
So we are already posting a set pretty much 1:1 with this that have barely already had GB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110816.0

https://imgur.com/gallery/aUietXE

Offline Psyoshi

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:24:18 »
ghost renders pog! is this the first mechs and co set by a mechs and co employee? very nice!

Yep you got that right 😎 and Jack killed it with this one. Can’t wait to have it on my desk.

Offline jackzyg

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:53:46 »
Any chance of adding a Arabic sub legend to the alphas?? I know the cost might be sharp, but I'm a sucker for the sub legends lol

Offline Nukz

• ig: nukzak
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 12:56:57 »
best looking set of 2021? :eek:

Offline Banned

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 13:53:29 »
I love it! GLWIC

Offline JPoc

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:06:00 »
beautiful colors

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:31:04 »
nice novs

could we get a color comparison to GMK Civ?

Offline Pach

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:36:12 »
This seems like a set for people who wanted GMK Civ with the colored mods kit but didn't have enough money and with a hint of green

But great effort with the kitting and novelties, that base kit :eek:

Offline Banned

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 14:58:22 »
I do think it is a little
close to Civ, a color comparison would
be nice

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 17:24:53 »
Agreed, sGhost does great work - 10/10 would recommend.
Yes, this is the first keycap set designed by a Mechs & Co. employee! The pleasure is all mine. :D
Thank You for the support, I appreciate it.

Buying an Aaru is getting more expensive than I thought, already bought 1 themed set and looking forward to two more, including this one. Can't wait to see the collabs.

GLWIC & GB
I cannot wait to see GMK Aegyptus paired with the Aaru TKL. When it's done, you'll have to send me pictures of your build!
As for collabs, there are several already lined up and many more planned. I'll announce these as things like protos get made and details are finalized.
Stay tuned, thank you.

Any chance of adding a Arabic sub legend to the alphas?? I know the cost might be sharp, but I'm a sucker for the sub legends lol
I heavily considered Arabic sublegends. However, in the end I decided not to include them. As the inspiration for this set is Ancient Egypt, I came to the conclusion that Arabic sublegends just doesn't make sense to me. Nonetheless, I hope you will consider supporting GMK Aegyptus anyway.

nice novs

be nice
So we are already posting a set pretty much 1:1 with this that have barely already had GB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110816.0

Truthfully, I messed around with several colors for this set, poor sGhost can testify to that haha. The colors that I have decided on are ones that I believe best capture the image I had in my mind for GMK Aegyptus. It's rumored that Ancient Egypt was pristine white and gold, but to be honest, it was probably more cream/ivory than pristine white. I believe GMK L9 portrays that beautifully. Initially, I had contemplated WS2, WS1, and even RAL 9001 Cream for alpha colors and a myriad of brown/gold RAL colors for the mod color.

Nonetheless, before finalizing the colors: GMK L9, GMK N7, and Pantone 4019C, I spoke with Ted (twgecko - the designer of GMK Civilizations). This discussion took place several months ago. At that time, the mod color for GMK Aegyptus was exactly the same color as GMK Civilizations - RAL 1024 Ochre Yellow. Long story short, we both agreed that nobody owns colors and I got the green light that my color choice and theme was okay. The ideology that colors belong to a certain designer is ridiculous. I believe it limits the creativity and expression of designers and prohibits this community from moving forward. Regardless, I wanted a softer more sand color and thus the mod color was changed to the current Pantone 4019C color.

I hope this clarifies things.
As for the color comparison chart, sGhost has already offered to make one. When it's ready, I will share it.

~ thank you all for the comments! I don't want to quote them all, unless there is something specific to address, but I am reading them all.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[IC] GMK Aegyptus
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 17:30:21 »
Yes, this is the first keycap set designed by a Mechs & Co. employee! The pleasure is all mine. :D

GLWIC & GB
I cannot wait to see GMK Aegyptus paired with the Aaru TKL. When it's done, you'll have to send me pictures of your build!
As for collabs, there are several already lined up and many more planned. I'll announce these as things like protos get made and details are finalized.
Stay tuned, thank you.

I heavily considered Arabic sublegends. However, in the end I decided not to include them. As the inspiration for this set is Ancient Egypt, I came to the conclusion that Arabic sublegends just doesn't make sense to me. Nonetheless, I hope you will consider supporting GMK Aegyptus anyway.

nice novs

be nice

Truthfully, I messed around with several colors for this set, poor sGhost can testify to that haha. The colors that I have decided on are ones that I believe best capture the image I had in my mind for GMK Aegyptus. It's rumored that Ancient Egypt was pristine white and gold, but to be honest, it was probably more cream/ivory than pristine white. I believe GMK L9 portrays that beautifully. Initially, I had contemplated WS2, WS1, and even RAL 9001 Cream for alpha colors and a myriad of brown/gold RAL colors for the mod color.

Nonetheless, before finalizing the colors: GMK L9, GMK N7, and Pantone 4019C, I spoke with Ted (twgecko - the designer of GMK Civilizations). This discussion took place several months ago. At that time, the mod color for GMK Aegyptus was exactly the same color as GMK Civilizations - RAL 1024 Ochre Yellow. Long story short, we both agreed that nobody owns colors and I got the green light that my color choice and theme was okay. The ideology that colors belong to a certain designer is ridiculous. I believe it limits the creativity and expression of designers and prohibits this community from moving forward. Regardless, I wanted a softer more sand color and thus the mod color was changed to the current Pantone 4019C color.

As for the color comparison chart, sGhost has already offered to make one. When it's ready, I will share it.

~ thank you all for the comments! I don't want to quote them all, unless there is something specific to address, but I am reading them all.
Besides. Mechs & Co. is literally the vendor for Civilization. And M&C is super close with every vendor assisting them every step of the way. If Twogecko had any issues, savage would be the first to know.

The unfortunate truth is - as this hobby becomes bigger and bigger, colors being close will happen more and more often. This hobby isn't a handful of folks designing sets anymore. There's more and more resources available for anyone to get started. There's only so many pretty color combinations in different groups of keys before it gets harder and harder to differentiate.

jk this set looks like Olivia
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 17:40:32 by loop | esc lab »

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 18:56:12 »
Sike
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 22:31:30 by TyPower »

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 20:48:36 »
Love the inspiration here, and the novelties are fantastic, great work!!! I think the sandy coloured mods, and light beigey alphas will give achieve the sandy look the set is going for!

GLWIC!!

Offline sGhost

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 20:58:22 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 22:38:07 by sGhost »

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 21:06:49 »
Redacted, best of luck with gb
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 22:30:58 by TyPower »

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 01:56:42 »

GLWIC & GB
Stay tuned, thank you.

nice novs

be nice

Besides. Mechs & Co. is literally the vendor for Civilization. And M&C is super close with every vendor assisting them every step of the way. If Twogecko had any issues, savage would be the first to know.

The unfortunate truth is - as this hobby becomes bigger and bigger, colors being close will happen more and more often. This hobby isn't a handful of folks designing sets anymore. There's more and more resources available for anyone to get started. There's only so many pretty color combinations in different groups of keys before it gets harder and harder to differentiate.

jk this set looks like Olivia

i couldn't have put it better myself. really tired of people mentioning another gmk set e.g. gmk______ in so many IC's even though there is a slight color resemblance.

Offline jaekid

• Instagram
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:36:45 »
WOW! :eek:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 08:43:01 »
Hieroglyphics sublegends similar to norse would have been super sweet. But this is good too.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 16:55:55 »
Would also love an accent kit for egyptian blue. Feels out of place without it.  An egyptian blue hippo artisan would be even better.

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 17:38:07 »
Hieroglyphics sublegends similar to norse would have been super sweet. But this is good too.
I considered Hieroglyphic sublegends, but with the tolerance guidelines and discrepancies in translation of characters to the modern Latin characters of the English alphabet, I ultimately stopped pursuing the idea. Personally, I've come to dislike sublegends, so perhaps that also played a role as well. Nonetheless, please consider filling out the IC Google Form - https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6
If there is enough demand for a Hieroglyphic sublegends kit, then I will try to give the people what they want.

Would also love an accent kit for egyptian blue. Feels out of place without it.  An egyptian blue hippo artisan would be even better.
An earlier iteration of GMK Aegyptus used a shade of irtyu (blue) in place of the green. Truthfully, it looked nice. However, IMO I prefer the wadj (green) color and how it accents/compliments the kit in an elegant fashion. Moreover, as this is my first keycap set, I feel more comfortable with less kits. However, as I mentioned in the comment above, please consider filling out the IC Google Form. If there is enough demand, then I will do my best to make it happen.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 18:09:35 »
I considered Hieroglyphic sublegends, but with the tolerance guidelines and discrepancies in translation of characters to the modern Latin characters of the English alphabet, I ultimately stopped pursuing the idea. Personally, I've come to dislike sublegends, so perhaps that also played a role as well. Nonetheless, please consider filling out the IC Google Form - https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6
If there is enough demand for a Hieroglyphic sublegends kit, then I will try to give the people what they want.

An earlier iteration of GMK Aegyptus used a shade of irtyu (blue) in place of the green. Truthfully, it looked nice. However, IMO I prefer the wadj (green) color and how it accents/compliments the kit in an elegant fashion. Moreover, as this is my first keycap set, I feel more comfortable with less kits. However, as I mentioned in the comment above, please consider filling out the IC Google Form. If there is enough demand, then I will do my best to make it happen.
Well explained. Both responses make sense. Even heiroglyphics as an alternative alpha might be popular. But yeah. Def want you to go with what you like. The theme is great.

Offline super7manki

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 02:30:53 »
Lovee the green accent. This is most eye pleasing keyset recently. I'm in

Offline ogp3

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:28:15 »
Love the aesthetic of this set and the novelty design - keeping my eye on this one!  :thumb:

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:31:42 »

While aesthetically this set isn't my thing, but I am supporting it just from this research and effort in it alone.

Great work savage.

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:09:43 »
I appreciate all the research and other info you've done for this set, and the colors and renders are quite nice. However, the kitting needs a lot of work in my opinion. I'll highlight the issues I see in each kit. Of course, these are just suggestions and stuff that caught my eye, and there might be things that you have thought about that I haven't taken into consideration.

Base kit:
More
- What's with the weird half-40s, half-ortho support in the base? You have some keys to support both kits, but not enough to support either? For example, it looks like you tried to include 3-key 40s support in the kit with the r3 1.25u tab, but then didn't add the r3 1.75u enter so 40s people still cannot use their keyboard. Ortho support in base kit is also a fairly odd choice to me as well, as I see you've added 4 extra keys to the base kit for a layout that less than 5% of the overall hobby use. I'm not sure what MOQ will be, but it looks like it might be better to just make an 40s/ortho kit instead.
- Why 3 1.5u super? At most you only need 2 for those who want to replace the 1.5u alts with codes (for true HHKB and other layouts). In addition then, you should consider adding in another 1u alt, that way they can replace on both sides.
- Your 1u codes in r4 should be supers to since every other key that would go in that slot uses supers
- This is more of a stylistic thing but I feel like it makes sense to have all the accents at the top or at the bottom (other than the iso enter that is). Not really an issue though.

Novelty kit:
More
- R3 is mislabeled as R2 here

Spacebars kit:
More
- No split alpha spacebars? Currently, the only split spacebar support is for the accent color, which is odd. It's your design at the end of the day, but I feel like people would really prefer the option for alpha split spacebars.
- I don't think I've ever seen a 1.75u split spacebar before on any boards.
- Missing the 2.25u spacebar.
- Why only 1 3u? My understanding is that the point of the 3u is either to do 3u-3u to replace a 6u spacebar or for 3-1-3 to replace a 7u spacebar.
- Instead of 2 1u spacebars, you should change one to a 1.25u.

Otherwise, I like it a lot. GLWIC!

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:17:40 by 7h3of7 »
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:18:30 »
I appreciate all the research and other info you've done for this set, and the colors and renders are quite nice. However, the kitting needs a lot of work in my opinion. I'll highlight the issues I see in each kit. Of course, these are just suggestions and stuff that caught my eye, and there might be things that you have thought about that I haven't taken into consideration.

Base kit:
More
- What's with the weird half-40s, half-ortho support in the base? You have some keys to support both kits, but not enough to support either? For example, it looks like you tried to include 3-key 40s support in the kit with the r3 1.25u tab, but then didn't add the r3 1.75u enter so 40s people still cannot use their keyboard. Ortho support in base kit is also a fairly odd choice to me as well, as I see you've added 4 extra keys to the base kit for a layout that less than 5% of the overall hobby use. I'm not sure what MOQ will be, but it looks like it might be better to just make an 40s/ortho kit instead.
- Why 3 1.5u super? At most you only need 2 for those who want to replace the 1.5u alts with codes (for true HHKB and other layouts). In addition then, you should consider adding in another 1u alt, that way they can replace on both sides.
- Your 1u codes in r4 should be supers to since every other key that would go in that slot uses supers
- This is more of a stylistic thing but I feel like it makes sense to have all the accents at the top or at the bottom (other than the iso enter that is). Not really an issue though.

Novelty kit:
More

Spacebars kit:
More
- No split alpha spacebars? Currently, the only split spacebar support is for the accent color, which is odd. It's your design at the end of the day, but I feel like people would really prefer the option for alpha split spacebars.
- Why only 1 3u? My understanding is that the point of the 3u is either to do 3u-3u to replace a 6u spacebar or for 3-1-3 to replace a 7u spacebar.

First and foremost, thank you for your comment. Moreover, I want to mention that this is my first keycap set that I have designed. Kitting is by far the most difficult part of designing a keycap set. With that said, I appreciate all the input thus far on the Google IC Form and the comments here on this thread.

Base Kit
- There are two keys that are missing from the renders. The first key is an R2 1.75u Backspace and the second key is a R3 1.5u Enter. My apologies, it's something that I overlooked between my KLE and the final renders.
- As for the Ortho keys: R2 Out, R3 Data, R4 Shift, and R4 Enter, those are for Ortho support, which you mentioned. Ortho users are a more niche area of our community, but I would like to offer them the Ortho support in the Base Kit. The price difference for those few keys is not substantial and should be okay if they are included.
- The three 1.5u Supers are for a niche group in the community who use Control for Caps Lock and don't like having Control keys on the bottom row as well. However, I have decided to remove those keys from the Base Kit.
- The 1u Code keys in R4 are meant to be Supers.

Novelty Kit
- As you mentioned, those are mislabeled and should say R3 instead of R2.

Spacebars Kit
- There have been several comments on the IC form and one earlier in this thread about the accent colored spacebars. Simply, that's how I prefer it. However, based on feedback, I have decided to change those to alpha colored spacebars. To clarify, the 6.25u and 7u accent spacebars are going to remain in the Spacebars Kit.
- Good point, the 1.75u spacebar is going to be removed.
- The 2.25u spacebar is going to be added.
- The second 3u spacebar is going to be added.
- Good point, the 1.25 u spacebar is going to be added to replace one of the 1u spacebars.

Hang tight, the renders are going to be redone to reflect these changes soon.
Lastly, thank you to those who commented showing support and admiration for GMK Aegyptus.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:32:48 by savageastr0naut »

Offline 7h3of7

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:36:16 »

Base kit:
More

Novelty kit:
More

Spacebars kit:
More

First and foremost, thank you for your comment. Moreover, I want to mention that this is my first keycap set that I have designed. Kitting is by far the most difficult part of designing a keycap set. With that said, I appreciate all the input thus far on the Google IC Form and the comments here on this thread.

Base Kit
- There are two keys that are missing from the renders. The first key is an R2 1.75u Backspace and the second key is a R3 1.5u Enter. My apologies, it's something that I overlooked between my KLE and the final renders.
- As for the Ortho keys: R2 Out, R3 Data, R4 Shift, and R4 Enter, those are for Ortho support, which you mentioned. Ortho users are a more niche area of our community, but I would like to offer them the Ortho support in the Base Kit. The price difference for those few keys is not substantial and should be okay if they are included.
- The three 1.5u Supers are for a niche group in the community who use Control for Enter and don't like having Control keys on the bottom row as well. However, I have decided to remove those keys from the Base Kit.

Novelty Kit

Spacebars Kit
- There have been several comments on the IC form and one earlier in this thread about the accent colored spacebars. Simply, that's how I prefer it. However, based on feedback, I have decided to change those to alpha colored spacebars. To clarify, the 6.25u and 7u accent spacebars are going to remain in the Spacebars Kit.
- Good point, the 1.25 u spacebar is going to be added to replace one of the 1u spacebars.

Lastly, thank you to those who commented showing support and admiration for GMK Aegyptus.

I appreciate the response. I never knew some people prefer to use control for enter. Some layouts are weird man.
No problem on the kitting stuff. Kitting is hard. Takes a lot of time of just staring at other people's kits and wondering "why is this here?" to finally have a decent idea of kitting, and even then people will still be upset with you.
As for split accent spacebars, there's still a way to do it. You'll have to make some sacrifices (specifically those mod colored spacebars and maybe the 3u spacebars), but it is definitely possible.
GLWIC! If you ever have kitting questions and want some help feel free to reach out on discord at 7h3of7#0737
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:40:25 by 7h3of7 »
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:39:00 »

Base kit:
More

Novelty kit:
More

Spacebars kit:
More

Base Kit
- The three 1.5u Supers are for a niche group in the community who use Control for Enter and don't like having Control keys on the bottom row as well. However, I have decided to remove those keys from the Base Kit.

Novelty Kit

Spacebars Kit

I appreciate the response. I never knew some people prefer to use control for enter. Some layouts are weird man.
No problem on the kitting stuff. Kitting is hard. Takes a lot of time of just staring at other people's kits and wondering "why is this here?" to finally have a decent idea of kitting, and even then people will still be upset with you.
GLWIC! If you ever have kitting questions and want some help feel free to reach out on discord at 7h3of7#0737

My apologies, I meant Control for Caps Lock, not enter. It seems you had already quoted me before I made my edit haha.
Kitting is definitely difficult. However, I am grateful for the ones in this community who provide kitting feedback during the IC phase.
I appreciate the offer and thank you for the kind words.

Offline sauv

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 03:59:37 »
i like the colors of this set, glwic!

Offline savageastr0naut

Re: [IC] GMK Aegyptus - Updated Kits
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:21:40 »
Hello ☌⍀⟒⟒⏁⟟⋏☌⌇ ,

I've updated the post with updated renders with the recent kit changes based off the feedback from the IC form and the discussion in this thread. Please, share your thoughts via the IC form (https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6) or by commenting here.

Thank You
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:23:46 by savageastr0naut »

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 07:16:32 »
Not that big a fan of the yellow mods - all white would be a perfect balance, though I guess that would take this set a little too close to GMK Civ. That green is popping though! And I love how clean your novelties look, very good work. Makes me think that you could actually pull off a good sublegend hieroglyph set. GLWIC <3

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 08:40:06 »
Hi, I have some thought about the space bar kit. I don't know if you addressed this nor not, imo people prioritize alpha space bars > accent bars > mod bars, some even hate the mod bars. I think it's better to replace them with mini bars in accent.

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 11:58:27 »
Hi, I have some thought about the space bar kit. I don't know if you addressed this nor not, imo people prioritize alpha space bars > accent bars > mod bars, some even hate the mod bars. I think it's better to replace them with mini bars in accent.
Hello,

Initially, the mini spacebars were the accent color. However, there was a justifiable demand to have them changed to the alpha color. Nonetheless, I will keep your comment in mind and look into the feasibility of offering a larger Spacebars Kit or perhaps an Accent Spacebars Kit. If anyone else would like accent mini bars, then please consider filling out the IC form: https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6

Thank You

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 12:52:05 »
Hello,

Initially, the mini spacebars were the accent color. However, there was a justifiable demand to have them changed to the alpha color. Nonetheless, I will keep your comment in mind and look into the feasibility of offering a larger Spacebars Kit or perhaps an Accent Spacebars Kit. If anyone else would like accent mini bars, then please consider filling out the IC form: https://forms.gle/WZrJuyjut7WhRxLU6

Thank You
I think I did not well express my thought. I mean to recommend replace mod bars in the space bar kit with mini accent bars like those alpha ones.

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 13:08:15 »
Hello,

Thank You
I think I did not well express my thought. I mean to recommend replace mod bars in the space bar kit with mini accent bars like those alpha ones.

For sure, that's what I meant by a larger spacebars kit haha. It's a neat idea to have both alpha and accent mini spacebars in the Spacebars Kit. Whereas GMK Aegyptus uses 2 stock GMK colors, it may be feasible. We'll see, I'll share any decisions I make regarding this as more people fill out the IC form.