Author Topic: Ultimate Hacking Keyboard  (Read 47624 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:38:01 »
Even the name of the product is a clear try to profiting on the well know HHKB

To you it may seem that way, even though your assumption has nothing to do with the truth. It doesn't take a genious to come up with the name and the logo of the UHK without ever hearing about the HHKB. Not only I haven't ever heard about the HHKB but neither about mechanical keyboards back in the days. But you're welcome to believe whatever you want and none of us can prove anything anyways. Moot point.
Any 1337 12-year-old can come up with such a cheesy name.

It's even funnier, considering that I already wrote this at the start of the long thread at DT, then you returned only an ad-hominem… to spend the rest of the thread looking for new name suggestions… to ignore them.

Thank you though, the UHK marketing is repeatedly giving me a good laugh.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:57:31 »
Even the name of the product is a clear try to profiting on the well know HHKB

To you it may seem that way, even though your assumption has nothing to do with the truth. It doesn't take a genious to come up with the name and the logo of the UHK without ever hearing about the HHKB. Not only I haven't ever heard about the HHKB but neither about mechanical keyboards back in the days. But you're welcome to believe whatever you want and none of us can prove anything anyways. Moot point.

Again, I hope your product does well, really. There is nothing personal here, at the contrary. Now what you stated came as a surprise, that you did not get some market information while preparing your business plan, ignoring what it is in the market is counter-intuitive for a new venture business due diligence.

Offline JBert

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 03:07:31 »
Just as an update: it has exceeded its initial target funding goal of $200 000.

If you want to look at the firmware or on-the-fly programming tool you can check https://github.com/UltimateHackingKeyboard.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline rpilgrim

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 13:05:27 »
Just 4 hours left! Please help UHK to get to the 2nd stretch goal! https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com

Offline hotrattz

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 22:22:13 »
Are all the keys typical sizes, like if i wanted to replace them at some point? those mod and space keys look slightly strange and custom.  But i know nothing :p

Offline hotrattz

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 22:25:36 »
Are all the keys typical sizes, like if i wanted to replace them at some point? those mod and space keys look slightly strange and custom.  But i know nothing :p

"I want to swap the keycaps. Which of your keycaps are non-standard?

Non-standard keycaps are Space, Mod, Right Control, and Backspace. All the others are standard.
"

I just answered my own question thanks me!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 06:17:37 »

"I want to swap the keycaps. Which of your keycaps are non-standard?

Non-standard keycaps are Space, Mod, Right Control, and Backspace. All the others are standard.
"

I just answered my own question thanks me!
…and it's also incorrect (not sure, if they're putting it there deliberately, or out of ignorance). right Shift, Enter and backslash are shorter than usual as well.

Offline ergo_typing

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:08:03 »
right Shift, Enter and backslash are shorter than usual as well.

Maybe they meant those keys were a standard keycap size, but not necessarily the standard shape for that particular cap. For example, the backslash looks to be the size of a regular alphanumeric keycap but not the normal size for that cap on say a Poker.

It would be helpful to get an answer from the creators on this :)

Offline JBert

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 14:17:22 »
I also started to wonder if their plate has switch opening cutouts. If they need to fabricate a broach to make the holes they might as well make one that can cut a more special shape.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:32:09 »
right Shift, Enter and backslash are shorter than usual as well.

Maybe they meant those keys were a standard keycap size, but not necessarily the standard shape for that particular cap. For example, the backslash looks to be the size of a regular alphanumeric keycap but not the normal size for that cap on say a Poker.
The keyboard is apparently 14.5x keys wide, instead of usual 15x. This means
  • Backspace is 1.5x instead of 2x,
  • backslash is 1x instead of 1.5x,
  • Enter is 1.75x instead of 2.25x,
  • right Shift is 2.25x instead of 2.75x,
  • the rightmost bottom-row key is 2x,
  • Mod and Space look like 2x each, but probably make up 3.75x total, unless there's some magic involved… or I'm just too sleep deprived
If you try to put a "standard" ANSI keycap set on it, you'll have to put
  • backslash in place of Backspace,
  • Enter in place of right Shift,
  • Backspace in place of the rightmost bottom-row key,
and get another
  • 1x key for backslash,
  • 1.75x key with a centered stem for Enter,
  • and some extra (2x or weird) caps for Mod and Space.
Obviously, profiles (keytop heights/angles) won't be right, unless you use something non-sculpted, such as DSA.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:48:49 »
The keyboard is apparently 14.5x keys wide, instead of usual 15x. This means [...]
Seems reasonable. The standard keycap sizes in the rightmost column were picked by IBM on their AT keyboards and 122-key terminal boards, I think primarily so that ISO-style enter, various types of 1u backspace, and JIS right shift would have enough space, and possibly also to better accommodate lots of space around the F keys.

IBM needed to accommodate multiple silly layouts on 80s computers, but that shouldn’t really be relevant today. On a Model M style ANSI-layout keyboard, the rightmost column of keys are now all stupidly long. 2.75u long shift in particular is a monstrosity.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:54:20 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:58:20 »
The keyboard is apparently 14.5x keys wide, instead of usual 15x. This means [...]
Seems reasonable. The standard keycap sizes in the rightmost column were picked by IBM on their AT keyboards and 122-key terminal boards, I think primarily so that ISO-style enter, various types of 1u backspace, and JIS right shift would have enough space, and possibly also to better accommodate lots of space around the F keys.

IBM needed to accommodate multiple silly layouts on 80s computers, but that shouldn’t really be relevant today. On a Model M style ANSI-layout keyboard, the rightmost column of keys are now all stupidly long. 2.75u long shift in particular is a monstrosity.

Does that justify this board to be stupidly incompatible with available key-set? Or the entire ANSI standard should be changed around due to this?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:21:35 »
Almost nobody cares about replacing their keycaps, even among Geekhackers (of course, the ones who do care are disproportionately vocal and places like this are echo chambers). It’s not worth worrying about excessively for a keyboard vendor building something new.

Staying 100% compatible with Cherry MX keyboards from the late 80s inspired by IBM keyboard layouts from the early 80s is fine, but it should be approximately last on anyone’s list of design criteria.

If you are one of the people who considers aftermarket keycaps important, don’t buy this thing. (Personally I think that’s the least of the reasons not to buy this thing, but I’m glad they’re experimenting.)

Beyond that, there’s a chicken–egg problem. If more vendors tried to focus on building interesting designs instead of making another identical clone of something you could get 30 years ago, we’d see more variety of aftermarket keycaps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:27:50 by jacobolus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 21:13:44 »
The hundreds of key sets sold this year defeat your statement that no one cares to replace them, but there is no point to discuss this fact, if what you want is to express your opinion only, just don't confuse facts and opinions.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 22:30:00 »
Almost is the key word in “almost nobody”.

More directly relevant to this thread: I assert that the set of people who would buy this keyboard if the rightmost column of keys were all .5u longer but won’t buy it in its current shape is a tiny group, not worth worrying about. Anyone who cares strongly about using aftermarket keycaps as-is on a new keyboard for aesthetic reasons is going to buy one of a completely standard shape, not this UHK thing with a funky bottom row, weird angular shape, and silly mouse-type buttons with pad printed labels built into the bottom bezel. By all means warn people that you think fall into that group but don’t realize it, but criticizing the vendor here is a waste of everyone’s breath.

It really doesn’t matter to me personally. I’m not interested in this keyboard, and I don’t personally know anyone who would be interested in this keyboard. If you were anxious to buy one and the only thing holding you back is the four keycaps on the right edge, bummer for you I guess?

Offline ergo_typing

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:29:01 »
UHK has just posted the official keycap sizing:

https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/layout-and-keycaps

Looks like they are now all regular sizes - just not necessarily a standard 60% set - which would never happen anyway because of a split spacebar. Now I have to work out the cheapest way of getting a complete set of blanks from pimpmykeyboard.

I wonder whether stabilisation will be an issue on the larger keys?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:36:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:06:55 by alienman82 »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:33:35 »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:22:33 »
sigh
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:09:57 »
Looks like they are now all regular sizes - just not necessarily a standard 60% set
Nothing has changed. The part people were complaining about was that they weren’t exactly like standard IBM/ANSI layout keyboards.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:11:07 »
I also started to wonder if their plate has switch opening cutouts. If they need to fabricate a broach to make the holes they might as well make one that can cut a more special shape.

I suggested this to them before their kickstarter campaign... I guess we'll find out when it ships, but since they haven't mentioned it, probably not.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 19:09:52 »
Did these ever ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 19:15:51 »

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 19:17:46 »
Yeah I just found the order form in my emails to chase up and wondered if it was just me that never got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 21:44:50 »
This keyboard is definitely pushing the envelope on the design area. I am going to order me one:

https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/
https://www.crowdsupply.com/ugl/ultimate-hacking-keyboard

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 11:20:58 »
Over three years of crowdfunding and hasn't shipped yet?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 12:07:04 »
Over three years of crowdfunding and hasn't shipped yet?

Damn ... you're right ... but the crowd supply site says it is expected to ship May 31, 2018

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 16:58:03 »
FYI, they shipped 50 boards in a pilot run. There were a number of people on twitter posting pictures too.

(I got one as well, currently being typed on and tested by my mom. She's liking it so far.)

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 10:44:42 »
This Mistel Barocco MD600  looks an awful like the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard ... Quite a bit cheaper, but unfortunately, not the same thing at all.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mistel-barocco-md600-mechanical-keyboard

Offline andromeduck

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 14:58:20 »
So I just received mine last week to replace my filco manilla air and it's been pretty great so far. Keycaps are nice, build is good, snap feels good, the cables doesn't look all that great but not particularly bad either. Kind of wish it was wireless with integrated battery in the ears but I guess this is the next best thing. I kind of wish the bottom right ctrl was split from 2.25 -> 1.25 + 1 for a default layer escape key but not really a problem.

Pretty funny looking back at this thread though.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:24:27 »
Whoa weird

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 13:41:01 »

A quick question: on the vid it shows MX blue... Are all the UHK using MX blue?

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 15:09:34 »

A quick question: on the vid it shows MX blue... Are all the UHK using MX blue?

No, they're not. You have a range of switches you can choose from, see their website: https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/product/uhk60