Author Topic: [IC] Quark PCB for Planck/Preonic with different bottom row layout - GB Started  (Read 10666 times)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
TLDR:
  • One PCB for either Planck or Preonic - bottom row can be snapped off
  • New bottom row layout
  • In stock GB, but I need to know about hardware and quantity

Update 1

Update 2

GB Form

Pricing:

If it hasn't been made clear, these are in-stock and shipping now:

Here are the prices:
  • PCB: $40
  • CF Planck or Preonic Plate: $25
  • Additional Hardware: $5

Until January 4th, take $10 off the price of the PCB, and $5 off a plate - that's $50 for a PCB and CF plate with no additional shipping charge if shipped to a US address.

I've been using ortho for a few years now but I never have found the bottom row to be useable. The homerow keys and the rows directly above and below the homerow are easy to finger, but the very bottom row 1u keys seem quite out of reach for me. For that reason, After I made a custom PCB for the Panc40 and the Neuron with greater than 1u keys on the bottom row, I decided to try a Planck with a similar layout. Another benefit of using greater than 1u keys on the bottom is that more novelties fit down there. For example, as an ortho user have you ever wanted to use an enter novelty? Now you can and if you are using SA, the row profile most likely won't be mismatched.

PCB Design:
bottom:

top:

artwork credit to Dasherby

Specs:
  • QMK Compatible
  • ESD protection
  • through holes for adding RGB Underglow strips
  • Alps can be used with an Alps plate
  • One PCB for either Planck or Preonic
  • No modifications need to be done if using with either Planck or Preonic

Photos:

Layouts:

Planck:

Preonic:

Interest Form:

I'd like to know if I need to include hardware so please fill out this FORM so I can get an idea

Caveats:

6 standoffs for the bottom of the PCB will be included. Planck uses 6 and the Preonic uses 5. The screws fasten from the underside of the case, into the bottom of the standoffs and out through the top of the PCB and plate. Hex nuts then can be used to clamp the screws onto the plate. Please note that these hex nuts are optional if you are using standoffs soldered into the PCB. Inversely, you don't the standoffs if you are adhering the screws by the hex nuts on the plate. I recommend using the standoffs because in either 2.25u spacebar for the Planck, or 2.25u and 3u spacebar layouts for the Preonic, the switches interfere with the installation of the bottom row of hex nuts. However, since the PCB and plate are already secured with the screws into the standoffs, the absence of these two hex nuts has no impact on the usability or performance of the board.

Standoffs will need to be soldered in yourself, which is easy to do. Please make sure they are exactly flat against the board. Here are the standoffs I will be using:

Plates:

To keep things simple I'll be offering two plates, 1 for the Planck and 1 for the Preonic. Both will be Carbon Fiber. If you are desperate to have one now, both plates are in stock. Please message me for details.

Please don't forget to add your email to the form so I can let you know when the PCBs will be in stock. FORM

Cheers!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2020, 08:20:37 by nasp »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] Quark PCB for Planck/Preonic with different bottom row layout
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 13:06:30 »
Reserved just in case

Offline equalunique

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 16:04:34 »
Super cool. I love small ortho boards and welcome Planck/Preonic PCB options that introduce alternate bottom rows. Seeing this reminds me of the v4 and prior Planck PCBs that offered some of this flexibility. I am really glad to see it making a comeback in this Quark PCB.

That being said, I wish this design had even more flexibility for the bottom row. I understand that this may not be feasible, but I would love to see more split-space Planck options. I've attached a "Planck Options.PNG"  to show you what I mean.

Either way, this is a cool design and I will order two just because. If the bottom row had the desired options, then I probably use it as a daily driver too.

Offline consumer

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 17:26:33 »
Could the bottom row also do 1.5-1.5-3-3-1-1-1? I still my arrows on the right.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 17:38:30 »

You should be able to keep the 1u keys on the right. There will just be a 0.75u space between the right spacebar and the left arrow 1u. Alternatively, you can just use the 1.25u keys on the right as extra wide arrows.

Very cool project, Nasp!

Offline consumer

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 00:02:16 »

You should be able to keep the 1u keys on the right. There will just be a 0.75u space between the right spacebar and the left arrow 1u. Alternatively, you can just use the 1.25u keys on the right as extra wide arrows.

Very cool project, Nasp!
In the Preonic, it does look feasible but I just want to confirm for the Planck as that's my daily driver. This layout is definitely going to be an upgrade.
I also want to ask if the PCB will fit the OLKB high-case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline krautcat

• local the flammable man without identity
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:08:48 »
Filled the form, definitely in. nasp bringing me into ortholinear keyboards despite I leaped over them and went from classicaly staggered boards directly to Corne and Iris.

Will plate files or PCB sources be available after GB? Plate files is easy to do by ourselves, but anyway.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:54:07 »
Super cool. I love small ortho boards and welcome Planck/Preonic PCB options that introduce alternate bottom rows. Seeing this reminds me of the v4 and prior Planck PCBs that offered some of this flexibility. I am really glad to see it making a comeback in this Quark PCB.

That being said, I wish this design had even more flexibility for the bottom row. I understand that this may not be feasible, but I would love to see more split-space Planck options. I've attached a "Planck Options.PNG"  to show you what I mean.

Either way, this is a cool design and I will order two just because. If the bottom row had the desired options, then I probably use it as a daily driver too.

Currently the Planck can do 3 different layouts (all 1u grid, MIT, and 2x2.25u bars) while the Preonic can do two (2x2.25u and 2x3u bars). I initially wanted the Planck to also do 2x3u bars too, but it became untenable. The limiting factor is the stabs mostly. Fortunately, since the layouts you linked don't require stabs I could probably do one of them; however you'll need to purchase your own plate since I already have the plates in my possession. Pick the layout you like more and I'll see if it doesn't require too much slicing and dicing.

Very cool project, Nasp!

Thanks Dr. Higsby!

Filled the form, definitely in. nasp bringing me into ortholinear keyboards despite I leaped over them and went from classicaly staggered boards directly to Corne and Iris.

Will plate files or PCB sources be available after GB? Plate files is easy to do by ourselves, but anyway.

Yes, I'll make plates files available after GB. As for the PCB, probably not but I'm happy to help if someone wants to make their own PCB for the Planck/Preonic. I can give pointers about switch spacing, reset location, and standoff location.

That layout is not supported on either the Planck or Preonic. You could do 1.5-1.5-3-2.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 on the Preonic. For the Planck you could do 1.25-1.25-1.25-2.25u-2u-1-1-1-1 but I haven't tested it. If I add one of the layouts that equalunique requested, that might make it possible. I'm sure you could work something out if you don't mind there being a small gab between some of the keycaps.

A little trick I use on my boards is the
Code: [Select]
LT(2, KC_SPC) keycode. This allows me to trigger layer 2 on a hold of the spacebar and a space with the tap of it. I put my arrows under the homerow on layer 2. I find it easier to access the arrows this way since I don't have to pick my hands off the board like I would if they were on the bottom row.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 17:20:45 »
Update 1

I've made a few small changes to the design before I send it off to the fabricator.

• I added USB breakout since there was plenty of room, easy to do, and will cost pennies in the end
  • dual 3u bars has been added to the Planck layout. It wasn't possible to to 1.5-1.5-3-3-1.5-1.5 but I was able to do 1-1-1-3-3-1-1-1

Also, it looks like a majority of people want the screws and nuts to be included in this buy, so I'll be looking at adding that hardware as an add-on for those that need it.

Lastly, I don't think I'll be adding anymore layout options at this time. The PCB is already incredibly swiss-cheese looking and I don't want to put any more holes in this thing then I have to. The PCB still needs to be rigid enough for the folks who are using this with the Preonic.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Update 2

Hardware has been ordered. I'll likely put 6 screws and 6 nuts in a baggie and charge $5 for anyone that needs it. According to the form, an overwhelming majority wanted hardware to be available. I might even add a bag of hardware to anyone that purchases a PCB and then add that on top of the cost of the PCB. Not sure yet, but that's at least one thing I can check off the list.   

Offline jimboytacos

Re: [IC] Quark PCB for Planck/Preonic with different bottom row layout - Update 2
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 21:40:11 »
Awesome work Nasp!

Wanted to ask: Is there support for two 2U space bars?

I'd really love to use this set on Preonic!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100922.0

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] Quark PCB for Planck/Preonic with different bottom row layout - Update 2
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 20:02:17 »
 No. It's meant to be an alternate layout to the Planck/Preonic and not a direct layout replacement.

But check out GMK Think Caps. They should have the 2.25u bars that you need.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 20:11:20 by nasp »

Offline bigfishkb

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 19:41:27 »
This is high on my radar, I've been wanting to try ortho for a little while now. Love the bottom row options for this.

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 02:47:55 »
Have you thought about partnering with someone in the EU? There'll be a Preonic Typeau (run out of the Netherlands iirc) next year and it'd be sweet to be able to get both the case, and your pcb and plate without having to pay loads in shipping and import tax for once.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 07:00:33 »
Have you thought about partnering with someone in the EU? There'll be a Preonic Typeau (run out of the Netherlands iirc) next year and it'd be sweet to be able to get both the case, and your pcb and plate without having to pay loads in shipping and import tax for once.

So I can make a better decision, what's the import tax on a $45 PCB from the US. As for shipping, with the Plexus 75 PCB and plate it was only $20 USPS First Class to ship to the EU and $25 to ship to Asia.

Offline ggggggg

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 11:32:52 »
I can only speak for Denmark, it's a flat 28usd customs handling fee plus 25% moms (VAT). So 45usd plus 40ish. It hurts just typing this.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:54:30 »
I can only speak for Denmark, it's a flat 28usd customs handling fee plus 25% moms (VAT). So 45usd plus 40ish. It hurts just typing this.

I'd love to be able to sell these in the EU with a proxy, but I don't know if demand is there for that. If I was to sell these in the EU, besides the Typeau GB, is there a store you'd recommend?

Offline Fabi

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:44:25 »

I'd love to be able to sell these in the EU with a proxy, but I don't know if demand is there for that. If I was to sell these in the EU, besides the Typeau GB, is there a store you'd recommend?
+1 EU demand from me

Offline ggggggg

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:56:32 »

Between Drop having a tight grip on Planck and Preonic kits, and olkb themselves being a) chronically sold out and b) US-based the only place that I know of selling serving this audience is ukkeycaps with an EOTW Planck kit. Otherwise it's import or aftermarket. JNAO and its drop-in replacement pcb ilk are likewise only available outside of the EU.

I could see Thomas from splitkb.com carrying a Quark, as he already has carved out a niche as an info hub and one-stop-shop for more fringe keyboards (i.e. split boards and whatever hardware you need to get there). He's also super dedicated and puts a lot of effort into his discord server. He's also facilitated group buys before, acting on both his own behalf and as a proxy. He's also also based in the Netherlands, same as the person running Typeau cases and Stef doing Kotai cases, so there's definitely a scene there. Only thing is he seems busy with his own projects (successors to the Kyria).

Keygem out of Germany are another, more recently up-and-coming vendor. They've been hosting the CRBN gb this month, a 4x12 cf sandwich which looks pretty interesting. Anyways, similar to splitkb they seem to be top of their shnip and going places.

You could also try Ben from keycapsss, also out of Germany. He's been around for a while, and carries cf plates and stuff like printed Preonic and Planck cases. He's not on the same level of exposure as Keygem or Splitkb right now but maybe fits quite well with what I perceive Quark to be, namely a product for a subset of a subset of a subset of enthusiasts.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 15:58:35 by ggggggg »

Offline geewiz

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 07:19:07 »
I'd love to be able to sell these in the EU with a proxy, but I don't know if demand is there for that.

EU keeber here who's very interested to have this in his TypeAU case!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 21:55:13 »
These should arrive at my doorstep before the year is over!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
As per the OP, the (in-stock) GB is now live! The GB thread will be created as soon as I finish writing this post.

GB Form

Pricing:

If it hasn't been made clear, these are in-stock and shipping now:

Here are the prices:
  • PCB: $40
  • CF Planck or Preonic Plate: $25
  • Additional Hardware: $5

Until January 4th, take $10 off the price of the PCB, and $5 off a plate - that's $50 for a PCB and CF plate with no additional shipping charge if shipped to a US address.

Offline ggggggg

This is such a good deal for ppl living in the US. I take it a europroxy hasn't materialised?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
No, but I can ship up to 2 PCBs and 2 Plates to Europe for $25.

Alternatively, I could send a large batch to someone in Europe if that person wants to act as a proxy. I don't know about import tax, but shipping prices aren't unreasonable if going with USPS.

Offline paperassgasket

Really glad to see this moving in a positive direction. I'm probably gonna pass this round because I already have too many irons in the fire, but I hope it goes well!  :thumb:

Offline TiKuda

This is awesome, I wish there would be a backlight led support(

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
This is awesome, I wish there would be a backlight led support(

I'll make at least one more revision but no guarantees that LED support will be added.

Also, I still have some PCBs left. The form just a few posts up is still live.