Author Topic: Keycap profile(s) of the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2014  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Cutinup99

I was looking to buy some custom keycaps for my black widow ultimate, but I can't seem to find any conclusive evidence, the keys I was looking to replace in particular were the F10 key and all the macro keys. One of the replacement keys I wanted to order in specific was this padlock key:
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/custom-r4-padlock-backlight-cherry-mx-keycap.html

I do know that Razer uses their own proprietary switches on the BWU, but from when I last cleaned mine, they look like they have the same stem.
I just need to know the Profile that the macro keys use so I can order the correct keys.

I do know a question similar to this was posted back in 2012, it could just be my incompetence, but I couldn't find anything on specifically the macro keys...

any help would be really appreciated!  :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Keycap profile(s) of the Razer Black Widow Ultimate Stealth Edition 2014
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 10:09:32 »
The profile is called OEM and you're right that Razer switches are MX compatible.

Most (all?) novelty caps are going to be for the top two rows while if I'm looking at the right board your macro keys are down the side of the board so they will be different heights, as you don't actually type on these keys it probably won't matter but they will look strange if you look from the side.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Cutinup99

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:38:43 »
The profile is called OEM and you're right that Razer switches are MX compatible.

Most (all?) novelty caps are going to be for the top two rows while if I'm looking at the right board your macro keys are down the side of the board so they will be different heights, as you don't actually type on these keys it probably won't matter but they will look strange if you look from the side.

Ah, thanks!  :D  I don't really go anywhere public with it anyways so im fine with it looking weird, I just hope it doesn't affect how you have to move to hit them too much...
And you most likely are looking at the right board, the macro keys are down the left side of the board and there should be 5 of them all in a row.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:40:56 »
You can always put some of your F row keys on them to test before buying any :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Cutinup99

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:53:36 »
also, im not totally sure how replies are formatted here... so sorry if I did that wrong  :confused:

Offline Cutinup99

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 11:59:35 »
You can always put some of your F row keys on them to test before buying any :)
I'll be sure to try that!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:09:25 »
Some people always quote and it's not a problem unless the quote gets stupidly long and requires an annoying amount of scrolling, I've seen far worse but this one is getting bad.  If you're replying to the post above or answering the original question you don't need to quote, you can use the quick reply box at the bottom instead (there's a "Go Down" link at the top if you want to answer without being influenced by other people's replies)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Cutinup99

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:20:24 »
ok, that makes sense, im not super used to forums like this, so apologies in advance for any noobish mistakes im eventually going to make
:sweat_smile: (I know you can't use a lot if any discord emojis here, this just applies to the situation the best)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:30:17 »
Mistakes like posting this keycap question in the Keyboard section?  I didn't even notice until now, will move it later :))

Compared to my first six duplicate threads when I kept getting an error message so tried again you're doing well!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Cutinup99

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:38:02 »
 :o
oh jeez, sorry... I was already kinda frustrated that I couldn't find any conclusive information on this, so I just didn't look any further after seeing Keyboards as a section... :/
and tbh it's kinda neat that a global/site mod started out like that  :))