Author Topic: "Norbatouch" Round 3.1415 - CNC cases for Novatouch + Cooler Master TKLs  (Read 44296 times)

Offline Sythe

Re: "Norbatouch" Round 3.1415 - CNC cases for Novatouch + Cooler Master TKLs
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 18:03:39 »
Thanks for the update. I think I did see that, but it was like 3 weeks ago, so thought I'd see if anything has changed since then.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the change to matte.
Can't wait to finally get my new case!

Offline Idef1x

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 15:14:48 »
Hey Ryan! Do you have any overall status on how far along in the process we are?  ;D

I am looking very much forward to my enigma grey case  :thumb:

Board: Clueboard 66%, 65g Zealios, /dev/tty caps.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 20:39:48 »
Hey Ryan! Do you have any overall status on how far along in the process we are?  ;D

Yes! Just got an update, which I'm happy to share. The manufacturer finally satisfactorily replaced the units I wasn't happy with and the cases completed inspection early this week. The cases are arriving to California on 29 January. With the exception of the powder-coated cases (which will probably take about a month to get turned around, since powder coating happens here in Silicon Valley as a secondary finishing process), anodized orders should be shipped out within a week or so of their arrival. They've already been inspected, boxed, and barcoded and should be ready to go right out.

FWIW, I don't anticipate any extras in the anodized finishes, but extras of the powder coated finishes will be available after the group buy orders ship.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 00:45:03 »
Hi Ryan

I'm just curious, and I apologize if this has been asked before (I couldn't find it) - do you expect to make a Norbatouch case for the R2 realforce keyboards that came out recently?

Many thanks!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 02:14:43 »
Hi Ryan

I'm just curious, and I apologize if this has been asked before (I couldn't find it) - do you expect to make a Norbatouch case for the R2 realforce keyboards that came out recently?

Many thanks!

I believe he's currently working out a way to make the V2 Norbatouch case work with both R1 and R2 RF keyboards.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:56:22 »

Yes! Just got an update, which I'm happy to share. The manufacturer finally satisfactorily replaced the units I wasn't happy with and the cases completed inspection early this week. The cases are arriving to California on 29 January. With the exception of the powder-coated cases (which will probably take about a month to get turned around, since powder coating happens here in Silicon Valley as a secondary finishing process), anodized orders should be shipped out within a week or so of their arrival. They've already been inspected, boxed, and barcoded and should be ready to go right out.

FWIW, I don't anticipate any extras in the anodized finishes, but extras of the powder coated finishes will be available after the group buy orders ship.

YES shipping soon...................

Offline norbauer

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:58:40 »

YES shipping soon...................

Indeed, I went over and saw the pallet yesterday at the warehouse but it hadn't been unpacked. They're supposed to have it all broken down and ready for me to do a final inspection pass on today and then they'll start shipping out. Sorry again for how long it has taken. Anodizing delays have become the bane of my creative life. :S

Offline AppleVsAndroid

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 22:54:30 »
Any more updates on this? Thanks!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 12:39:34 »

I'm happy to report that some anodized units have already shipped and the remaining ones should be going out early this week. The powder coating company picked up the parts for those finishes last Monday and they're in their production queue.

At the moment, I have a few planned extras up for pre-sale (in powder finishes only), due to ship with the group buy powder orders around the end of next month.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 01:04:07 »

I'm happy to report that some anodized units have already shipped and the remaining ones should be going out early this week. The powder coating company picked up the parts for those finishes last Monday and they're in their production queue.

At the moment, I have a few planned extras up for pre-sale (in powder finishes only), due to ship with the group buy powder orders around the end of next month.

So this is it, my chance to finally buy the Venice Beach. Now I'm not sure I can pull the trigger, it's such a loud color I'll need the perfect caps to go with it. Do you have any idea how close the case colors comes to the magenta in the MAXKEY SA Miami Night set?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2019, 01:06:49 by r4bbl3d4bbl3 »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 22:24:04 »
I wanted to join the GB, but was very hesitant to pull the trigger, hated myself when the GB period closed.
Happened upon this thread yesterday and ordered one !!!
Had a tough time deciding a color - finally went with the conservative choice of Enigma Grey. The purple looked really nice, but thought the Grey was more versatile with various key sets.
So happy !

Offline Idef1x

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 06:06:58 »
I wanted to join the GB, but was very hesitant to pull the trigger, hated myself when the GB period closed.
Happened upon this thread yesterday and ordered one !!!
Had a tough time deciding a color - finally went with the conservative choice of Enigma Grey. The purple looked really nice, but thought the Grey was more versatile with various key sets.
So happy !

I too had exactly the same thought about the purple and grey boards and I also opted for the Enigma Grey  :thumb:

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:13:45 »
Aperture finish on a norbatouch? Man that's tempting.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 10:58:57 »
Aperture finish on a norbatouch? Man that's tempting.

We can thank my friend Huey/manofinterests for that one. He requested a Norbatouch one off in it some time ago and then had it on display at the NorCal meetup. It drew so much attention that I thought it might be worth making a few more for anyone else who would want one. :)

Offline omjak

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 07:03:56 »
We can thank my friend Huey/manofinterests for that one.

Thanks Huey

Offline adsfqwer

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 12:13:33 »

Thanks for the updates so far. Should I expect an email with shipping/tracking info before the keyboard arrives? My unit has an anodized (black) finish if that matters.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 16:43:52 »

Thanks for the updates so far. Should I expect an email with shipping/tracking info before the keyboard arrives? My unit has an anodized (black) finish if that matters.

All the black anodized units should have shipped, unless placed in a single order along with a powder coated housing. If you haven't gotten a tracking number maybe check your spam folder and still can't find anything shoot me an email over to shop@norbauer.com with your order number and I'll be happy to investigate. All but a few of the Aerospace units have also shipped, and I expect those stragglers to go out today. Powder has begun being applied to all remaining units as I write this.

Offline adsfqwer

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 23:39:44 »

All the black anodized units should have shipped, unless placed in a single order along with a powder coated housing. If you haven't gotten a tracking number maybe check your spam folder and still can't find anything shoot me an email over to shop@norbauer.com with your order number and I'll be happy to investigate. All but a few of the Aerospace units have also shipped, and I expect those stragglers to go out today. Powder has begun being applied to all remaining units as I write this.

Thanks. I actually received a shipping notification email from your store about 1h after my post! I'm in Mountain View so I expect to receive it soon :)

Offline AppleVsAndroid

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 22:05:17 »
Any more updates on this for the Purple cases?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 22:11:13 »
Any more updates on this for the Purple cases?

Still expected around end of this month. I spoke to them earlier today actually specifically about the purple and they were having some issues with that specific color, but I think they'll just re-run it tomorrow.

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 23:56:16 »
Did you have any pictures of the enigma gray finish?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 23:57:37 »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 00:26:08 »

You should also search for manofinterests’ YouTube review for the norbaforce in enigma grey, I think the finish will be similar. ( I actually have never seen one in real life, I hope to at the end of the month :) )

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 00:34:57 »
Thank you!

So the norbatouch in this video should be enigma gray?
t=8s

I just want to get a better idea as to what the finish would look like on the Heavy 6 lol.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 01:46:04 »

I just want to get a better idea as to what the finish would look like on the Heavy 6 lol.

That looks like anodized...  check this out
t=169s

Offline norbauer

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 11:39:35 »
It's a little hard to say with the lighting, but from what I can tell, the first vid above is anodized gray or black. The second video is enigma black, I think (same texture as Enigma Gray but darker.)

Offline Sythe

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 18:08:53 »
How are the Venice Beach ones coming along?

Offline Sythe

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 18:17:49 »
Still expected around end of this month. I spoke to them earlier today actually specifically about the purple and they were having some issues with that specific color, but I think they'll just re-run it tomorrow.

How are the finishes coming along?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 15:49:01 »
Still waiting for the final report from the applicator. We're now around their promised delivery date, so I'm bugging them regularly. They have now finished the Heavy-6 back plates that were in the same batch but haven't quite yet finished the last few Norbatouch colors (specifically, the more tricky non-texture ones, Venice, Purple, and RR, because some of those had to be re-done, as is usually the case.)

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 22:30:16 »
Just curious, did you have final numbers on finishes chosen?

Offline millifoo

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:48:27 »

We can thank my friend Huey/manofinterests for that one.

Thanks Huey

Double thanks, Huey. I ordered one in Aperture yesterday.

Offline Sythe

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:51:23 »
Any movement on Venice Beach? Just got my new cables, so keen to put everything together with the new case as well!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 14:56:23 »
Any movement on Venice Beach? Just got my new cables, so keen to put everything together with the new case as well!

I just sent out an email update to everyone with a pending open order. In short: Venice Beach and Retro Refrigerator finishes continue to be very tricky to apply, even in their new matte forms, causing several to need to be re-coated after a first attempt didn't pass my (admittedly fairly picky) QC standards. Since the whole order is batched together, this has prevented delivery of all the powder-coated parts. The workshop has worked out a new process that seems to be yielding consistently good results on those finishes and now it's just a matter of working their way through the backlog to close out the order. I expect this will probably take another couple of weeks. I'll keep after them. :)

Offline Sythe

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 20:54:08 »
Awesome, thanks for the update.

Just saw the email. Looking forward to the case being ready in a few weeks!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 01:58:14 »
Thanks for the update !!

Offline bunanapeel

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 12:53:55 »
Got my norbatouch case a few days ago, thank you so much norbauer!  Beautiful quality.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 13:02:02 »
Got my norbatouch case a few days ago, thank you so much norbauer!  Beautiful quality.
Show Image

What a lovely photo; thanks for sharing!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 00:40:32 »
Show Image

Damn that is an awesome shot for such an elegant board.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 02:57:50 »
Show Image

ooh that is nice

looks like a render
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lugiish82

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 15:32:01 »
Any updates?

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Updates?

Offline coffeeshopcoder

I got my powder coated enigma grey today, and oh boy, I’m blown away !!!
The texture is very nice and uniform, a very unique look!

Also a nice surprise on the back makes this board very very special...

Not sure if the other rounds had this on the back, but at least it came to me as a pleasant surprise!!!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
I got my powder coated enigma grey today, and oh boy, I’m blown away !!!
The texture is very nice and uniform, a very unique look!

Also a nice surprise on the back makes this board very very special...
Show Image

Not sure if the other rounds had this on the back, but at least it came to me as a pleasant surprise!!!

That's very cool. I don't think that was any previous rounds

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
I have a funny question here - does this case accepts good=old Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid?
You know, the first one.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Idef1x

So the Enigma Grey cases started shipping? I am still waiting for any shipping notification here.

Offline tanvir175

I have a funny question here - does this case accepts good=old Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid?
You know, the first one.

From GB page:

These cases are custom designed to fit only the following Cooler Master TKL models:

Novatouch TKL
Rapid-i ("small" model)
MasterKeys Pro S ("small"/"80%" layout)

Offline coffeeshopcoder

So the Enigma Grey cases started shipping? I am still waiting for any shipping notification here.

From what I unserstand, all powder coated cases should have started shipping, since they were done together as a single batch with the powder coating facility.
The email from Norbauer to the buyers, I think said the same thing...

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
Timing worked out perfect with both the case and TM arriving this week.
Thanks you :)

218570-0

Offline millifoo

Timing worked out perfect with both the case and TM arriving this week.
Thanks you :)

(Attachment Link)

She's a beauty!

Offline lakeboredom

Any news on the Aperture units?