Author Topic: Touched up (or defiled?) Model M  (Read 3120 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Touched up (or defiled?) Model M
« on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 18:06:44 »
I am generally loath to alter anything original/vintage but have wanted to try a dye/paint job. I had an empty Model M case and bought a set of pebble/pearl keys from Unicomp. I figured I wouldn't feel too bad about painting an extra case but still couldn't bring myself to dye original keycaps, especially as Unicomp's are available. I used Rit DyeMore "racing red" dye (at boiling for 1 min) for the keycaps and red Valspar Paint for Plastics spray paint for the case.  It's a gift for someone who really likes the feel of the Model M but won't have "that beige thing" on their desk. I don't think it came out too badly actually, but I'm still sticking with the beige things myself.

166718-0

Offline quasistellar

Re: Touched up (or defiled?) Model M
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:50:56 »
Hey if you're going to experiment, go ahead on a model M.  There's literally millions of them.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 19:53:44 »
Ha, that's awesome.  I'd see if you could dye the logo and the numlock overlay, or print something in red and do a cellophane packing tape overlay to "laminate" it.

Still functions like and M, and if you want to personalize it, go for it.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 22:39:31 »
Hey if you're going to experiment, go ahead on a model M.  There's literally millions of them.

this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 11:43:49 »
Too much red for me personality.  But hey, looks good and if it gets someone else on the Model M train I don't see the issue.  Especially since you used "lesser" quality Unicomp caps.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:48:20 »
  I'd see if you could dye the logo and the numlock overlay . . .

Well I figured why not - the badge took dye very quickly 15 - 20 sec and it was already a little darker than I planned but not bad! It doesn't show well in the pictures but the lock light overlay (I bought one from Unicomp) is a deep red-brown (looks more just brown in the pics). It took a while to get it to take dye (about 20 min).

Before:
167067-0

After:

167069-1                 167071-2

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:19:36 »
The darker items do look better.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 10:19:35 »
The problem is he either didn't use a primer or chose the wrong primer color..

So the red looks a dirty orange..

or, it could be the camera being weird..

Sub surface scattering is very important to having vibrant colors..

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 10:38:48 »
It`s the camera that gives it the orange tint - I noticed that too. The case turned out quite nice, a glossy race car red. I didn't expect too much from the Valspar paint, but it actually came out quite well as far as color/finish.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:27:15 »
That's a LOT of red, but it looks much better than I expected.
Instead of dying the stickers, another option would be to use some window tint and covered them with that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:39:28 »

this

that

Offline taylorswiftttttt

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 01:30:59 »
removed
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2022, 16:13:42 by taylorswiftttttt »

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:51:52 »
Being that M cases are PVC, it may be possible to dye them. I have at least 1 spare case, I may try it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:39:18 »
My first thought when I saw this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1838

Red keyboards have been done before, maybe not quite as big as the Model M though.  That's quite a lot of red!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 02:14:42 »
My first thought when I saw this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1838

Red keyboards have been done before, maybe not quite as big as the Model M though.  That's quite a lot of red!
Right?
Still, a part of me kinda likes it. :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 June 2017, 22:17:32 »

Right?
Still, a part of me kinda likes it. :D

And I keep wondering what one of each colour would look like - green, blue and yellow.

If done properly and consistently like the red one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ