Author Topic: [IC] KAT Crusader | GB: Jan 1st - Feb 1st  (Read 54198 times)

Offline Tyson

[IC] KAT Crusader | GB: Jan 1st - Feb 1st
« on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 22:31:18 »
LINK TO GROUP BUY PAGE

Hey Geekhack, Tyson here with my next project,

KAT Crusader

A keyset based on the character Darkness from the anime Konosuba. 

Link to my discord for anyone looking for follow this keyset: https://discord.gg/zCExd84Psh

Group Buy Date & Pricing:

Date: January 1st, 2021

US: CannonKeys
EU: Mykeyboard.eu
Asia: ZFrontier
Australia: DailyClack
Canada: DeskHero

Estimated Shipping Date: Q4 2022

Pricing:
Prices that are not listed right now have not been given to me yet and will be updated as soon as I hear back from those vendors!

Kits

Imgur Gallery of all kits: https://imgur.com/a/o0JUTkI

More

More

More

More

More

More

RAMA Collab

Deskmat Mockups

Imgur Gallery of all Deskmat Mockups (more images to come): https://imgur.com/a/XDxxIqL

Symbol Deskmat

Lo-Fi Deskmat By 1stGarden [Prints of this design will be available on https://1st.garden/]

Board Renders

Imgur Gallery of all Board Renders: https://imgur.com/a/6hIRNTC

RAMA U-80 TKL

CannonKeys Brutal60 WKL

Blindassassin111 SP111

Colors

Alpha Legend Color: Pantone 12-0727 TXC Sunshine
Alpha Color: Pantone 179-15 C
Mod Legend Color: Pantone 179-15 C
Mod Color: Pantone 14-1050 TCX Marigold
Accent Legend Color: Pantone 179-15 C
Accent Color: GMK WS1

What's Next?

- Wait for Pricing from all the vendors
- Start the GB!

Special Thanks!

- Rensuya, Raravin, Hisui, and Xerpocalypse for all the help and support for this set over the past few months!
- Abec13 for the fantastic renders!
- OneCreativeMind for the amazing support throughout the year and for the fantastic novelties!
- My Discord for the support!

If you want to support this Interest Check, please consider adding the following to your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106417.0][img width=260 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/BSn5hwp.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2022, 14:04:08 by Tyson »

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
Re: [IC] KAT Crusader
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 22:39:34 »
As someone who has no knowledge of the Anime, I like the colors of this set, need more orange in my life and this food that need nicely.
ThocKeys.com

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 22:46:58 »
insert weeb set copypasta here
LCK75 so lit

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 23:04:46 »
Black, Orange, KAT, Great kits. Whens the group buy?

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 23:29:05 »
40s kits look great. definitely in on dark 40s + latin alphas. let's get it boppin.

Offline Romutulus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 23:41:06 »
Any chance of white alphas?

Offline Combonaut

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 00:53:19 »
This looks great! Been looking for a KAT set to get in on!
Any chance of making all the F keys in the modifier kit yellow?
We can get black F keys in the dark modifier kit, but not a full yellow set.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 01:01:35 »
See I knew this colorway was coming because I now watch the KAT keyset show

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 01:10:04 »
Damn this looks good. Definitely in.
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 01:27:54 »
Sick set tyson! After all the talk about it, I am happy to finally see the set! Looks cute AF

Offline Vireca

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 04:41:07 »
I like it, but at the same time I dont think the yellow and orange fit. Will be difficult to find a keyboard to match the keyset imo

Also, what about making the dark kits inverted? Yellow mods and black accents? Something like Serika but with the dark alphas will be cool

And about the mod kits, why there is an extra accent 7u spacebar but not an extra accent 6.25u? It would be cool if you can add it

On the mod kits I miss a Fn/Menu 1u R1 key, something like the Menu 1.25u key and maybe more options for the column keys for 65% and 75% keyboards
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 04:43:41 by Vireca »

Offline Rilow

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 04:48:06 »
Deus Vult! I'm in!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:18:26 »
I like it, but at the same time I dont think the yellow and orange fit. Will be difficult to find a keyboard to match the keyset imo

Also, what about making the dark kits inverted? Yellow mods and black accents? Something like Serika but with the dark alphas will be cool

And about the mod kits, why there is an extra accent 7u spacebar but not an extra accent 6.25u? It would be cool if you can add it

On the mod kits I miss a Fn/Menu 1u R1 key, something like the Menu 1.25u key and maybe more options for the column keys for 65% and 75% keyboards

Thanks for the feedback, as for the set not fitting, I'd say that it'd look good on a variety of boards! I'll work on getting more renders of the set on more boards as this IC progresses.

Inverting the dark kits would be interesting but wouldn't fit the theme that I was going for, I might explore those colors on some personal renders, if it does look good I might look into adding those to the set, although there are already a lot of kits, KAT sets usually have around 20~ kits.

As for the extra accent spacebar for the 6.25u in the mods kit not being there, it is, the accent color for the base mods would be white, the mods kit has a 6.25u and a 7u white spacebar.

The FN/Menu key in the mod kits it's included already, the modifier kits are all Icon Mods only. I've thought making Text Mod kits, it's definitely an open option for the set, but right now, day 1 for the set I only have Icon Mod kits.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:41:41 »

Thanks for the feedback, as for the set not fitting, I'd say that it'd look good on a variety of boards! I'll work on getting more renders of the set on more boards as this IC progresses.

Inverting the dark kits would be interesting but wouldn't fit the theme that I was going for, I might explore those colors on some personal renders, if it does look good I might look into adding those to the set, although there are already a lot of kits, KAT sets usually have around 20~ kits.

As for the extra accent spacebar for the 6.25u in the mods kit not being there, it is, the accent color for the base mods would be white, the mods kit has a 6.25u and a 7u white spacebar.

The FN/Menu key in the mod kits it's included already, the modifier kits are all Icon Mods only. I've thought making Text Mod kits, it's definitely an open option for the set, but right now, day 1 for the set I only have Icon Mod kits.

I was looking to get the set for the yellow HMKB but idk if it will match right or not. The orange wont much i think and I have doubts about the yellow legends. If you could make a render for that with both main and dark kits will be amazing

Could you mark me what is the Fn key on the mod kits? I cant see it. Maybe its the arrow pointing up with the line on the middle?

What I mean about the spacebars is if you look this photo, there isnt a black 6,25 spacebar in any of the mod kits, but there is the equivalent for the 7u. So maybe adding it to it will be cool. Talking about this kit. Im missing a black 6.25u spacebar too

Offline Tyson

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:48:34 »

I was looking to get the set for the yellow HMKB but idk if it will match right or not. The orange wont much i think and I have doubts about the yellow legends. If you could make a render for that with both main and dark kits will be amazing

Could you mark me what is the Fn key on the mod kits? I cant see it. Maybe its the arrow pointing up with the line on the middle?

What I mean about the spacebars is if you look this photo, there isnt a black 6,25 spacebar in any of the mod kits, but there is the equivalent for the 7u. So maybe adding it to it will be cool. Talking about this kit. Im missing a black 6.25u spacebar too
Show Image

IIRC the 1u key with the arrow with the line in the middle of it is considered the fn/menu key, I could be wrong, but I believe that is what people use for fn/menu on a 65%. It's the second key to the left of the arrow keys. As for the 6.25u black spacebar, that's included in the alphas kits, both alpha kits have it.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:56:02 »

Show Image

IIRC the 1u key with the arrow with the line in the middle of it is considered the fn/menu key, I could be wrong, but I believe that is what people use for fn/menu on a 65%. It's the second key to the left of the arrow keys. As for the 6.25u black spacebar, that's included in the alphas kits, both alpha kits have it.

wow, I have to be blind because I didnt see the black spacebar on the alphas kit. Sorry!

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:32:49 »
White alphas

Offline Scucka

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 06:33:42 »

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 07:03:08 »
Where is all the S&M to fit the character in Kono?

"Meat Shield" etc.

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 09:59:11 »
Since this is a KAT IC, can you separate the 40s & ortho kits?

Offline mvkoto

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:45:17 »
Just submitted an entry to ur IC form! is the yellow in the "dark" kits meant to be different?

Offline Bits

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:52:14 »
Imo the orange needs to be a bit brighter. It definitely seems to fall sorta flat. But Im v interested :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline sagho

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:08:04 »
would you consider a south kit?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:00:24 »
Thank you everyone for the feedback! We've already gotten 110+ responses on the google form!

Changes to come:
- removal of mod colored alpha numbers in US + UK ISO kit
- Different Deskmat design

Looking into:
- Light Alphas (White Alphas) with Dark Accent color

Adding:
- Images of each color, seems like some people are getting confused with the Orange and yellow in the set, The mod color is Orange, the Alpha Legend color is Yellow. The Dark Mods are just the alpha colors , making the set a monochrome set.
- New Novelty
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 22:37:07 by Tyson »

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:04:40 »
Thank you everyone for the feedback! We've already gotten 110+ responses on the google form!

Changes to come:
- removal of mod colored alpha numbers in US + UK ISO kit
- Different Deskmat design

Looking into:
- Light Alphas (White Alphas) with Dark Accent color

Adding:
- Images of each color, seems like some people are getting confused with the Orange and yellow in the set, The mod color is Orange, the Alpha Legend color is Yellow. The Dark Mods are just the alpha colors , making the set a monochrome set.
Nice will look forward to that

Offline Create_alt_delete

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:28:57 »
Found a set to match my "yellow" Polaris!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:28:09 »

Seconded on this.

Offline rewke

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:44:30 »
So many great KAT sets these days! This will be yet another for sure buy for me.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:01:41 »

Seconded on this.

There's no reason to seperate it, if you buy 1 alpha kit and 1 40s/ortho kit you're looking at spending $80 at max. I was able to get the base alphas and 40s/ortho kit for KAT Lich and only spent $69. I will not be separating them, sorry. Plus by separating the kits, that makes the amount of kits go up, I understand you can have a lot of kits for KAT sets, but with the amount that I already have I only plan on adding maybe one or two more kits, wasting it on individual 40s and ortho kits is a no go.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:03:48 by Tyson »

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:51:50 »

Seconded on this.

There's no reason to seperate it, if you buy 1 alpha kit and 1 40s/ortho kit you're looking at spending $80 at max. I was able to get the base alphas and 40s/ortho kit for KAT Lich and only spent $69. I will not be separating them, sorry. Plus by separating the kits, that makes the amount of kits go up, I understand you can have a lot of kits for KAT sets, but with the amount that I already have I only plan on adding maybe one or two more kits, wasting it on individual 40s and ortho kits is a no go.
I agree w/ you [mention]Tyson [/mention] I love this set & as a 40% to 50% user, I'll be in for both alphas & 40s kits! Great job sir. As a staggered 40 user, I'll glad to see kits that account for staggered 40 users b/c most 40s kits are only ortho specific. Again, thanks for doing your homework & providing great kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:09:34 »

Seconded on this.

Hey, I’m not challenging you and I respect your decision. I am excited to see ortho/40s support. Hopefully I didn’t ruffle any feathers.  :(  I like the work you’ve done here and definitely want to pick up a set.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:19:06 »
[mention]DrHigsby [/mention] you're good, you didn't ruffle my feathers, I'm just glad to see staggered 40s support w/ 40s kits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tyson

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:25:10 »

Seconded on this.

There's no reason to separate it, if you buy 1 alpha kit and 1 40s/ortho kit you're looking at spending $80 at max. I was able to get the base alphas and 40s/ortho kit for KAT Lich and only spent $69. I will not be separating them, sorry. Plus by separating the kits, that makes the amount of kits go up, I understand you can have a lot of kits for KAT sets, but with the amount that I already have I only plan on adding maybe one or two more kits, wasting it on individual 40s and ortho kits is a no go.

Hey, I’m not challenging you and I respect your decision. I am excited to see ortho/40s support. Hopefully I didn’t ruffle any feathers.  :(  I like the work you’ve done here and definitely want to pick up a set.

No feathers ruffled lol, just wanted to explain my decision behind the 40s/ortho kit.

Offline bliss

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:48:05 »
Great colors and kitting - a nice combo with my HMKB!

Love the way you do ISO, too, because I want to use an ISO Enter on an otherwise ANSI setup (Heresy :D - well, just clumsy fingers preferring bigger keys). It is also great that the 7u spacebar along with the 1.5u / 1u bottom row is featured in the mods kit (for example, Milkshake has them in extra extra kit).

I would just wish for a R2 stepped Control key, I am spoiled because my upcoming GMK Shark Bait will have that (it was additional incentive to get that set)!

Love your work :thumb:

EDIT: I want this to be compatible with a G80-3000 style board, just in case.
Therefore my question: Does the 6.25u spacebar from either Alphas or Dark Modifiers support an off-centered stem, too? Otherwise I would kindly ask to add such a key to the (Dark) Spacebars kit. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2020, 05:46:35 by bliss »

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:11:29 »
I really dig the colors, but I have to ask: are those flying turnips?

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:18:57 »
Love the colours and I've been looking out for a KAT profile kit that supports JIS layout :-D

This kit comes very close to having everything required for proper JIS layout support; it is only missing one key. That is the ー key, used to extend syllables as in the word "keyboard", 「キーボード」.  With the addition of this key it is possible to type Japanese using kana input. It belongs to the right of the number row, next to the backspace.

JIS users also need a 1U backspace key in order to make space for it, but I see you already have that in your 40s/Ortho set.  You also have correctly-positioned む and ろ keys available, which is great to see!

Overall, great work on the relatively comprehensive JIS layout support!  Please consider the inclusion of this one additional key in order to take it over the finishing line.  See Masterpiece and Sumi for examples of this key in use (albeit in GMK sets), and its correct positioning.  Thanks!

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 15:13:23 »

Seconded on this.

There's no reason to separate it, if you buy 1 alpha kit and 1 40s/ortho kit you're looking at spending $80 at max. I was able to get the base alphas and 40s/ortho kit for KAT Lich and only spent $69. I will not be separating them, sorry. Plus by separating the kits, that makes the amount of kits go up, I understand you can have a lot of kits for KAT sets, but with the amount that I already have I only plan on adding maybe one or two more kits, wasting it on individual 40s and ortho kits is a no go.

No feathers ruffled lol, just wanted to explain my decision behind the 40s/ortho kit.

For the sake of argument - you say there is no reason to separate 40s and ortho. I think that the reason is quite obvious, it would be to offer the same coverage at a cheaper price to the customer. You also mention that you don't want waste kits on splitting 40s/ortho. It was my understanding that KAT does not put a limit on the kits. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'd suggest taking a look at some of the more recent KAT ICs and GBs. Here are a few that I have been watching: Space Cadet, Iron, Hyperfuse Origins. None of these combine 40s and Ortho mods.

I understand that these types of kitting compromises needed to be made with previous manufacturers (GMK, SP) that enforce different MOQ requirements. But why carry forward these shortcomings when we have the opportunity to improve?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 20:32:43 »

Flying Cabbages, they are enemies that are in the anime, Darkness has a liking for them for some strange reason ;)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 00:22:31 »
Whoa, I just found out about this and got real hyped when I read the title... thought this was going to be a "Reinhardt" (Overwatch character) themed set :D

But regardless, this looks still very good, as pretty much always when mister Tyson makes a new set, great job :thumb:

Offline Bits

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 08:32:24 »

Flying Cabbages, they are enemies that are in the anime, Darkness has a liking for them for some strange reason ;)
Any chance to make the cabbage key green? :eyes:

Great addition btw!

Offline duckadence

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 00:48:09 »
Really like the color scheme. Of all the warm/acidic colors, orange never gets enough love.

I would like text-only mods if possible.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 00:55:21 »
Whoa, I just found out about this and got real hyped when I read the title... thought this was going to be a "Reinhardt" (Overwatch character) themed set :D

But regardless, this looks still very good, as pretty much always when mister Tyson makes a new set, great job :thumb:

Thank you, thank you, it's been awhile since I've played Overwatch, I'm sure one day someone will make a Overwatch set!

Any chance to make the cabbage key green? :eyes:

Great addition btw!

Unfortunately Green keys wouldn't really fit the look of the set. For now the novelty is going to stay the way it is. hahaha

Really like the color scheme. Of all the warm/acidic colors, orange never gets enough love.

I would like text-only mods if possible.

Thanks! And noted, I think you and two other people have asked for Text Mods, it was a consciousness decision of mine to IC the set with no Text Mod kits, a lot of KAT sets have both Text and Icon Mod kits and from talking with Rensuya, Icon kits usually sell more, I need to create a new poll seeing if people would like both normal and dark versions of Text Mods or if I should only go with one of them, I don't think the kits will be that popular but that doesn't matter at all since kits don't have MOQ requirements!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 01:52:48 »

Surely because it's healthy and delicious!

Offline Bits

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 15:48:13 »
I'm strongly for text mods as well. Especially for the Latin alphas.

I also knew the green cabbage accent was a long shot but I had to ask

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 11:55:55 »

I think you and two other people have asked for Text Mods, it was a consciousness decision of mine to IC the set with no Text Mod kits, a lot of KAT sets have both Text and Icon Mod kits and from talking with Rensuya, Icon kits usually sell more, I need to create a new poll seeing if people would like both normal and dark versions of Text Mods or if I should only go with one of them, I don't think the kits will be that popular but that doesn't matter at all since kits don't have MOQ requirements!

I too thought Icon Mods were preferred over Text Mods in recent KAT GBs, but they're neck-and-neck in the currently-running KAT Arctic GB.  Interestingly, Text Mods are preferred for the Arctic Numpad.

Whereas Text Mod orders were less than half of Icon Mod orders in KAT Atlantic.

Perhaps it depends on the theme?  I hope your poll is helpful.

Edit: added Atlantis bar graph.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:27:57 by dvorcol »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 12:36:40 »

I think you and two other people have asked for Text Mods, it was a consciousness decision of mine to IC the set with no Text Mod kits, a lot of KAT sets have both Text and Icon Mod kits and from talking with Rensuya, Icon kits usually sell more, I need to create a new poll seeing if people would like both normal and dark versions of Text Mods or if I should only go with one of them, I don't think the kits will be that popular but that doesn't matter at all since kits don't have MOQ requirements!

I too thought Icon Mods were preferred over Text Mods in recent KAT GBs, but they're neck-and-neck in the currently-running KAT Arctic GB.  Interestingly, Text Mods are preferred for the Arctic Numpad.

Show Image

Show Image

my main takeaway from these graphs is that nobody orders the ISO kits even when they're included
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline duckadence

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:04:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Personally, I love text mods when the cap is a neutral color (with whatever legend color). When the cap color isn't a neutral color, it doesn't look as clean.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:27:52 »
Now make KAT Maple and i'm sold

Offline Tyson

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:32:20 »
Hey everyone, thank you for the amazing feedback on this set! Right now I am working on trying to get an update out, but for now I'm a little concerned that not everyone is on the same page about the colors of the set, I've received an alarming number of comments on the google form from people thinking that the main modifier color is yellow, this is not correct. Just to be clear, the base mod color is Orange, where as the alpha legend color and dark kits legend color is yellow. It seems like just from looking at the renders it's hard to tell that they are different colors, I want to make sure that everyone knows the correct colors and isn't under the impression that the colors are different.