Author Topic: Quality keycaps ready to buy?  (Read 10067 times)

Offline BouncyChillups

• Formerly PleasantChaos
Quality keycaps ready to buy?
« on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 14:02:52 »
Hi guys,

I'm slowly getting into the hobby of custom keyboards and am going to receive my first custom sometime in the next weeks.
I already joined a gb for a gmk keycap set, but since I don't want to wait until next year to use my board, I'm looking for some keycaps that ready to buy now :)

I'm from Germany, so something in the EU would be great. All the keycaps I could find until now are either extremely ugly or have absolutely devastating reviews only in terms of quality.
Are GMK sets the only "good-looking" keycaps?

Already found some SA keycaps, but I don't like the retro look that much..
Would appreciate any help!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Quality keycaps ready to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 07:04:45 »
Hi guys,

I'm slowly getting into the hobby of custom keyboards and am going to receive my first custom sometime in the next weeks.
I already joined a gb for a gmk keycap set, but since I don't want to wait until next year to use my board, I'm looking for some keycaps that ready to buy now :)

I'm from Germany, so something in the EU would be great. All the keycaps I could find until now are either extremely ugly or have absolutely devastating reviews only in terms of quality.
Are GMK sets the only "good-looking" keycaps?

Already found some SA keycaps, but I don't like the retro look that much..
Would appreciate any help!

I mean, this thicc DSA caps that i bought from a store called 'MKB STORE"  look good and feel amazing on my mx red board.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 11:29:14 »
https://pimpmykeyboard.com is a storefront for Signature Plastics, they have a lot of options, especially in the DSA profile.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline KLT

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 22:16:45 »
I just got into the keyboard hobby and like the tiahao keys.  Even though i say that, i recommend staying away from ordering them since the shipping is so high ($30-$40)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 11:42:08 »
Epbt key caps you can get from KBDFans or aliexpress so long its Epbt you should have some nice thicc cherry profile key caps.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline yuuS0cut3

• Stay young
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 07:19:36 »
http://www.mechsupply.co.uk/products
There are some nice SA keycaps, maybe you would like them

Offline JonathanWagner

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 02:54:20 »
https://www.amazon.com/Keycaps-Tenkeyless-Switches-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07TRG1PJN/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=thick+pbt+keycaps&qid=1575567787&sr=8-13

Personally, I like this set. It reminds me of GMK Minimal.

Epbt key caps you can get from KBDFans or aliexpress so long its Epbt you should have some nice thicc cherry profile key caps.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 04:42:41 »
There is also Oco https://www.originativeco.com/ for in stock GMK sets. The price is a bit high on them, but in line with any other vendor's in stock price for GMK sets. Their in stock SP SA & DSA sets are pretty grossly overpriced though.

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:35:23 »
I always found originative overpriced. They do have some sets you cant find elsewhere however.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 10:14:36 »
Maxkey SA keycaps are well made, always in-stock and decently priced for a full kit

Some drawbacks though:
They're just basic sets, so if you're looking for any Ortho or even ISO sets, you're out of luck
This is a drawback in my opinion: their texture is a bit more grainy and rough than Signature Plastic's SA sets. I prefer the smoother finish of SP's
The tops of the keycaps are just a smidge wider and not quite as spherical as SP's. Admittedly, the difference is so slight that most people wouldn't notice, and to the point where I need to double-check to make sure I'm not going crazy

Offline Pylon

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 00:20:06 »
Uniqey/GMK themselves stock a black/purple keyset and some mods for sale on their site directly. Works great if you're in Germany!

https://uniqey.net/en/keycaps/

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 07:12:35 »
Still looking for one?

I'm selling a GMK Space Cadet if you're interested? Brand new base set.
I'm UK based, so postage won't be that bad, plus no custom fees.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 03:14:02 »
I've heard Enjoy PBT are good as an alternative to GMK

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 02:54:56 »
There are a  lot of affordable thick good PBT and ABS DS AND  dyesub sets and pieces on Amazon. Just be sure to read the reviews. If it has no reviews do not spend much. I am surprised no one mentioned this. I do imagine they have Amazon in Germany? Although you may not have the same selection as the US.  Here, there are 240 different sets and pieces today. I can get them in the next few hours here. I am not sure in Germany? I guess it depends where. At least here it is no big deal to return them either.