Author Topic: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards  (Read 59291 times)

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
Re: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 15:31:55 »
Love it! Are touch faces smooth like SA or textured?
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 15:35:40 »
Good luck with Kickstarter! It's a bold goal to reach but hopefully community as whole will come together and make this a reality.

Went for the 3 pack. Getting Skidata for sure and then I just can't decide yet...  :'(

I will be releasing a tool very soon that should be able to help you decide :D

Offline dsaf

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 15:40:12 »
We are actually removing the pastel mods but here is what evan had to say on the matter on reddit:

Thanks for answering. Isn't this kind of dangerous when the campaign is already running? Anyway, will probably go for a 3-pack once it stabilises a bit.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 15:54:40 »
Good luck with Kickstarter! It's a bold goal to reach but hopefully community as whole will come together and make this a reality.

Went for the 3 pack. Getting Skidata for sure and then I just can't decide yet...  :'(

It is also possible to have the color code or pantone near each color of each set? e.g. on Cyan it's hard to tell which one is the same of the cyan of another set. That would be useful for me for mixing the sets later (so also for picking now)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:01:28 »

Thanks for the support man :D

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:07:10 »
The top-down renders are the accurate ones, we're working on producing renders that match those sets correctly.

We are actually removing the pastel mods but here is what evan had to say on the matter on reddit:
Guys, we are all in for the ride with you but be careful with all these changes as the message is getting very blurred out. I know you are trying to incorporate a lot of feedback but at some very near point you need to lock things down.

You are saying the top renders are now the accurate ones yet in the next line adding that the PW color mods will be also removed. Paperwork is one of the flagship sets here and the pastel mods are what make it unique. People may expect a good reason for that big of a change vs other smaller changes (e.g. bringing the overall goal down or  compatibility added) or they will start to question why this wasn't factored already in the original release.

Those who have pledged may not be seeing any of the changes and get mad at the end or stop taking you seriously. 

My humble suggestion is to:

1. Lock things down. Make sure you update KS and your own site materials with the accurate color ways.
2. Ensure you punched your number$ correctly in your calculator so there are no surprises down the road on the cost given what changed.
3. Update all the current backers on what was decided.
4. Forget about future possible colorways and ideas and move on to full marketing mode on this campaign. This is an enormous goal and you can't expect the current rate to be maintained for the full 60 days. There needs to be a plan with activity almost daily to reach those of us who are less active around these forums. If it wasn't because I am on Evan's email DL I would have no idea this is going on.

+Use us the backers to spread the message out by providing materials like the banners and other avenues. Make people feel this is a team effort to accomplish like what you are doing in the Instagram stories.
+Get on all the MK shows an blogs. Some very targeted ads on platforms like Facebook where you know you can reach MK enthusiasts.
+Reach those gaming kids that own Razr keyboards and show them a way they can cheaply customize their keyboard. You will need to extend beyond this smaller community to reach your numbers. 

Get your interested supporters organized with Discord, slack channels or some other single point of contact to get things moving faster and take some weight off your shoulders. People should not be just wishing this tips over but working to make it happen.  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:10:19 »
Love it! Are touch faces smooth like SA or textured?

They will be smooth like SA

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:18:52 »
The top-down renders are the accurate ones, we're working on producing renders that match those sets correctly.

Guys, we are all in for the ride with you but be careful with all these changes as the message is getting very blurred out. I know you are trying to incorporate a lot of feedback but at some very near point you need to lock things down.

You are saying the top renders are now the accurate ones yet in the next line adding that the PW color mods will be also removed. Paperwork is one of the flagship sets here and the pastel mods are what make it unique. People may expect a good reason for that big of a change vs other smaller changes (e.g. bringing the overall goal down or  compatibility added) or they will start to question why this wasn't factored already in the original release.

Those who have pledged may not be seeing any of the changes and get mad at the end or stop taking you seriously. 

My humble suggestion is to:

1. Lock things down. Make sure you update KS and your own site materials with the accurate color ways.
2. Ensure you punched your number$ correctly in your calculator so there are no surprises down the road on the cost given what changed.
3. Update all the current backers on what was decided.
4. Forget about future possible colorways and ideas and move on to full marketing mode on this campaign. This is an enormous goal and you can't expect the current rate to be maintained for the full 60 days. There needs to be a plan with activity almost daily to reach those of us who are less active around these forums. If it wasn't because I am on Evan's email DL I would have no idea this is going on.

+Use us the backers to spread the message out by providing materials like the banners and other avenues. Make people feel this is a team effort to accomplish like what you are doing in the Instagram stories.
+Get on all the MK shows an blogs. Some very targeted ads on platforms like Facebook where you know you can reach MK enthusiasts.
+Reach those gaming kids that own Razr keyboards and show them a way they can cheaply customize their keyboard. You will need to extend beyond this smaller community to reach your numbers. 

Get your interested supporters organized with Discord, slack channels or some other single point of contact to get things moving faster and take some weight off your shoulders. People should not be just wishing this tips over but working to make it happen.  :thumb:

We are aware, we're currently trying to lock down everything and then go into full advertising mode. Once everything is finalized about our changes we will make an official update on kickstarter and reddit. We are currently planning to release daily reddit posts with updates, renders and what not to get people's attention. GH will be constantly updated simultaneously. We're hoping the banners on GH will also spread the news. We are currently in contact with multiple popular tech articles to try and get posts up there. We have also reached out to Input Club and OLKB to spread the news to their customers. All the while maintaining GH, reddit and massdrop threads. I'm personally in the back of my head trying to figure out new ways of spreading info, we are possibly going to host a contest to try and get everyone involved.

You are right this is a community effort and we want to make it feel that way. Thank you all so much, we are working our butts off to try and spread the news. Please spread the news to anyone you know, word of mouth is extremely powerful. Meanwhile we will search for new creative avenues to inform people on the project.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:20:13 »

It is also possible to have the color code or pantone near each color of each set? e.g. on Cyan it's hard to tell which one is the same of the cyan of another set. That would be useful for me for mixing the sets later (so also for picking now)

We are releasing an interactive tool for mix and matching of sets. Hopefully that will help this :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:49:42 by Arhipio »

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 18:15:53 »
They will be smooth like SA

YESSSSSS, I'm in!
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 18:21:02 »
I'm in for all 12 sets. Let's do this.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 18:54:23 »

We are aware, we're currently trying to lock down everything and then go into full advertising mode. Once everything is finalized about our changes we will make an official update on kickstarter and reddit. We are currently planning to release daily reddit posts with updates, renders and what not to get people's attention. GH will be constantly updated simultaneously. We're hoping the banners on GH will also spread the news. We are currently in contact with multiple popular tech articles to try and get posts up there. We have also reached out to Input Club and OLKB to spread the news to their customers. All the while maintaining GH, reddit and massdrop threads. I'm personally in the back of my head trying to figure out new ways of spreading info, we are possibly going to host a contest to try and get everyone involved.

You are right this is a community effort and we want to make it feel that way. Thank you all so much, we are working our butts off to try and spread the news. Please spread the news to anyone you know, word of mouth is extremely powerful. Meanwhile we will search for new creative avenues to inform people on the project.
Great to see that! We see you guys are working non stop. Get some rest too.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 19:02:30 »

We are releasing an interactive tool for mix and matching of sets. Hopefully that will help this :)

Well that would be perfect!  :D

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 20:38:44 »
Hopefully you guys can find some love from some other publications like the I:C kira did too... do you have some leads out to the press?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 20:51:33 »
Hopefully you guys can find some love from some other publications like the I:C kira did too... do you have some leads out to the press?

The prototypes are on their way to a writer from tested.com hopefully we see some coverage from them soon :)

Offline howj

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:04:44 »
I wish I could buy more key-sets but right now I can really only afford one. Might upgrade my pledge in a month or so if my situation changes.

In any case, it looks like it's a long way to the intended goal, given that it's all or nothing!

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:30:56 »
I'm in for 3 sets, maybe later on il join for more! More competition in the keycap market is always a good thing. GL with funding.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:34:54 by PotatoTM »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:46:09 »
I wish I could buy more key-sets but right now I can really only afford one. Might upgrade my pledge in a month or so if my situation changes.

In any case, it looks like it's a long way to the intended goal, given that it's all or nothing!

I appreciate any support, it all helps our goal.  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:47:02 »
I'm in for 3 sets, maybe later on il join for more! More competition in the keycap market is always a good thing. GL with funding.

Appreciate it my man, we think more competition is good too :)

Offline hgoel89

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 07:13:05 »
Is ergodox support available in current set? If not, would there be option for future release?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 08:23:53 »
Is ergodox support available in current set? If not, would there be option for future release?

That question has been answered in the faq https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thevankeyboards/hub-mechanical-keyboard-key-caps/faqs

Offline Data

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 08:25:36 »
Hi guys.  I don't completely understand what you're going for with this sculpt.  Could you lay it out in a little more detail?  Maybe include the sculpt angle for each row?  Still trying to wrap my head around it...

Offline ptiede

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 08:52:16 »
Hi guys.  I don't completely understand what you're going for with this sculpt.  Could you lay it out in a little more detail?  Maybe include the sculpt angle for each row?  Still trying to wrap my head around it...
I'm pretty sure the sculpt is identical to cherry profile but with spherical tops.

Offline Data

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:07:46 »
I'm pretty sure the sculpt is identical to cherry profile but with spherical tops.

I dunno, man.  I'm not seeing Cherry profile in this drawing.

It even kinda looks like Row 1 is inverted away from the user slightly.  Just looking for a little clarification.

Offline ptiede

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:26:09 »
Are you reading the profile backwards? Because of you look at the top row of cherry is sculpted identically.

Also of you look at the comments thread in the Kickstarter,  I asked Evan that question and he said it was developed to mimic cherry.
[edit typos]

Offline ptiede

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:31:26 »
The only difference I can see is the bottom row. I believe that was done so that the keysets had inverted space bars naturally.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:35:10 »
There are five rows on a profile, changing one of them is not exactly a minor change.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:41:33 »
There are five rows on a profile, changing one of them is not exactly a minor change.

Hi! I had modelled the bottom row similar to cherry but during my testing I found that a flat bottom row fit the set much better. The other rows are similar to cherry, but of course have spherical tops. I'll try and pull some number data from the models tonight.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:42:28 »
Hello!

https://hub.thevankeyboards.com/

I put this little webapp together last night to let people experiment with the different HuB sets mix and matchability.

By simply adjusting the drop downs you can come up with all sorts of neat combinations.

I can't wait  to see what you come up with!

To share your creations you can do a screen capture (mac: shift + ctrl + cmd + 4 or windows: shift + win + s). Be sure to include the drop downs so others can see your recipe.

Sincerely,

Evan

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 10:28:18 »
Hello!
Evan
Ugh, my work firewall is blocking it due to some security reason. Will try it at home.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 10:36:04 »
Not sure if it was mentioned, but are the keycaps 1.5mm thick?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 11:14:02 »
Not sure if it was mentioned, but are the keycaps 1.5mm thick?

It’s in the kickstart faq section

Offline runsamok

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 11:23:00 »
Love the profile, love the colours but the legends aren't my bag at all. Hopefully this round succeeds & you can progress to some legends that are a little more conventional & less polarizing.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 11:29:32 »
Thanks everyone we're about to reach 15% funding. Continue spreading the news if you aren't already are. We need all the support we can get.

Just made a reddit post if you guys want to show your love there  :thumb:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/8a0zlz/news_hub_is_15_funded_thank_you_for_all_the/

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 11:39:28 »
Here's an album I made of 19 possible colorway combinations. https://imgur.com/gallery/9h7nL

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 12:08:06 »
Here's an album I made of 19 possible colorway combinations. https://imgur.com/gallery/9h7nL

oh man you came up with some that I hadn't! thanks for sharing

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 13:13:15 »

Love your names too!

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 13:18:38 »

Thanks for posting the reddit thread. That will be a key platform for visibility. You guys could literally be posting a different user submitted combination render every day!

My coworkers will think I am buying new keycaps every week once this is produced!   :cool:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:08:13 »

Thanks for posting the reddit thread. That will be a key platform for visibility. You guys could literally be posting a different user submitted combination render every day!

My coworkers will think I am buying new keycaps every week once this is produced!   :cool:

That's the plan, even more combinations than the original 12!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:36:18 »
Think I'll wait until they're on the aftermarket to put some money towards this. Godspeed.

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:51:24 »
Your new tool truly opens the mind to all the different options possible!

When you think about it, just the combination of  the Alphas, Mods, Accent, Enter and Space from the 12 different sets render 248,832 combinations possible. Not that all would look pretty but still mind-blowing. If you get into the individual keys you get into the billions of options.

Another idea is to do one of those videos you create where you start with the 12 and start combining them until the screen fills up with so many options. Like your instagram vid from a couple days but explaining more the idea.

I envision a cross between these two concepts. No idea how hard it would be to make.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:05:24 »
Your new tool truly opens the mind to all the different options possible!

When you think about it, just the combination of  the Alphas, Mods, Accent, Enter and Space from the 12 different sets render 248,832 combinations possible. Not that all would look pretty but still mind-blowing. If you get into the individual keys you get into the billions of options.

Another idea is to do one of those videos you create where you start with the 12 and start combining them until the screen fills up with so many options. Like your instagram vid from a couple days but explaining more the idea.

I envision a cross between these two concepts. No idea how hard it would be to make.

oh cool ideas :D I will have to play with this some

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:36:58 »
I'm fully prepared to be told this is a dumb question but which model of Minivan comes with the 250 dollar tier? Is it the one with arrow key support or the original model?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:46:35 »
I'm fully prepared to be told this is a dumb question but which model of Minivan comes with the 250 dollar tier? Is it the one with arrow key support or the original model?

Our newest model which is hot swappable and supports both layouts including some other ones.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 09:54:54 »
Possible combinations don't even begin to calculate 1976 style color staggering possibilities. Can't wait!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 10:06:28 by keyboardbelle »
I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 10:44:46 »
Man I'd actually really like that blank white lol. Cool profile, hope it works out!
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:27:10 »
HuBDate #3 (4/6/18)

Updated kickstarter and op with new side profile comparison chart. Shows the comparisons between HuB, cherry and DSA.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:31:41 »
Love the profile, love the colours but the legends aren't my bag at all. Hopefully this round succeeds & you can progress to some legends that are a little more conventional & less polarizing.

I really want to support this as well, but am in the same boat.  I really like traditional legends for some reason, despite being born in the 80s.  I might jump in just to show support despite not liking the icons.   :thumb:

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:44:29 »
Hello!

I put this little webapp together last night to let people experiment with the different HuB sets mix and matchability.

By simply adjusting the drop downs you can come up with all sorts of neat combinations.

I can't wait  to see what you come up with!

To share your creations you can do a screen capture (mac: shift + ctrl + cmd + 4 or windows: shift + win + s). Be sure to include the drop downs so others can see your recipe.

Sincerely,

Evan

Neat.

Whenever I see a tool like this I always want to see a [RANDOM] button which selects a random choice from each dropdown. It's not useful for design per se but it's simple thing to implement and really plays to the anything-you-want feel to customisation.

Just like Google still has their "I'm feeling lucky" button.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 11:47:15 by emenelopee »