Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 342815 times)

Offline 127001

Kishsaver Club
« on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:11:10 »
Because someone was going to make it :p

Just look at how tiny it is :D :

And the future (diagram) layout :

Post em'!

Info:
http://kishy.dyndns.org/?tag=kishsaver
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:14:49 by 127001 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:21:42 »
So how many of these actually exist?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 127001

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:24:29 »
43+ from my understanding...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:30:25 »
43+ from my understanding...

That many? :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:32:40 »
In general?  I'm sure there are more than that in terms of total production.  Many are probably still sitting stored somewhere and forgotten.  For this recent batch, there were around 20 units, if I remember correctly.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline 127001

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:34:00 »
For this recent batch, there were around 20 units, if I remember correctly.

Just that many came to the US.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:34:38 »
I'd kinda got the idea from somewhere that these were a very limited custom run.

Offline 127001

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:36:14 »
I'd kinda got the idea from somewhere that these were a very limited custom run.

They're all for banks: http://kishy.dyndns.org/?tag=kishsaver

Offline 127001

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:36:54 »
Double post.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 14:23:16 »
Tuning in!

Offline 127001

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:27:45 »
Tuning in!

Show Image

Nice!

Yours seems to have a bunch of funky keys like mine. Were any of your Springs broken? I had one which I'll need to replace. I plan on changing the layout though so I think I'll have a spare. Also I need to repaint the top plate ; lots of rust poking through.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:39:49 »
Tuning in!

Show Image

Nice!

Yours seems to have a bunch of funky keys like mine. Were any of your Springs broken? I had one which I'll need to replace. I plan on changing the layout though so I think I'll have a spare. Also I need to repaint the top plate ; lots of rust poking through.
So yeah, things that are missing, the keys obviously. Then I am missing the wire for my spacebar, will I just have to try to make my own wire? Mine needs a bit of paint in some places, top corner is the only part on the top that needs paint. Mine had no rust, I opened it up and it seemed really clean inside.

Here it is after its cleaning.

I want to contact unicomp and see if they can do custom keycaps, I could get one test one and then if it works we could all go that way. (since I don't think the PD1-3 keys are found on any other keyboard)
I know the short shift is something that can be found on a 122 key, but that is it.

Also, this thing is so heavy, it weighed in at 6.5 pounds. I know nothing about the model f's, are they all made of metal?

Also, we need to find the right paint for touching these up :D

EDIT: Enter and reset are missing as well, those are where the control keys are.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:42:22 by HPE1000 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:40:54 »
Wish I could have gotten in on one :(  Maybe in the future when I have more free funds.  It's fun to see everyone's new keyboards :)  I can imagine all the work going into restoring them--right up my alley!  Hopefully you continue adding photos of your progress.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:43:57 »
Can't wait to rip this thing to shreds. Good thing HaaTa is so close, I can personally bug him to get a working controller ;)

Offline 127001

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:53:31 »
Tuning in!

Show Image

Nice!

So yeah, things that are missing, the keys obviously. Then I am missing the wire for my spacebar, will I just have to try to make my own wire? Mine needs a bit of paint in some places, top corner is the only part on the top that needs paint. Mine had no rust, I opened it up and it seemed really clean inside.

Here it is after its cleaning.
Show Image

I want to contact unicomp and see if they can do custom keycaps, I could get one test one and then if it works we could all go that way. (since I don't think the PD1-3 keys are found on any other keyboard)
I know the short shift is something that can be found on a 122 key, but that is it.

Also, this thing is so heavy, it weighed in at 6.5 pounds. I know nothing about the model f's, are they all made of metal?

Also, we need to find the right paint for touching these up :D

EDIT: Enter and reset are missing as well, those are where the control keys are.
The pd3/enter key is a weird size ; the same as the short shift. I have a couple of donor boards around so I was able to get one to put in place of the pd3. I'd love to replace all the keys but I don't know if unicorn has that sort shift mold... Worst case scenario I just ansi mod it and make it like the Hhbk... Which would be fine in my eyes.

As for the keys with stabilizers I have a 3D printer coming and I  plan on just printing that part out and adding the to the keys. There's also the matter of the plastic stand offs that hold the plate to the case... They've all snapped in half. Going to print some of those off too.

Also I doubt very much that the inside plate of your board has no rust... Every one I've ever bought has been rusting on that plate. I think IBM didn't use rust proof paint. It's about a 3 day fix to sand it, cover the first, and then cover in rustolium.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:58:26 »
I am going to need to take it all the way apart, I didn't realize you meant that plate, for some reason I thought you meant there was rust on the top piece. I am tired and not reading correctly  ^-^

Offline 127001

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 20:05:23 »
I am going to need to take it all the way apart, I didn't realize you meant that plate, for some reason I thought you meant there was rust on the top piece. I am tired and not reading correctly  ^-^

I got ya. And yeah we do need to find a pair for the case.

I'm actually thinking of finding a professional to sand blast the whole thing and repaint it the same color.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 20:14:42 »

I got ya. And yeah we do need to find a pair for the case.

I'm actually thinking of finding a professional to sand blast the whole thing and repaint it the same color.
I might consider the repainting, if the cost is good and the texture and color turns out the same.

It's all apart, ahh, where can I check to find rust?

Offline 127001

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 20:29:19 »
It'll be on the top plate (the ones that meets the keys). There will probably be little spec of it all around, might tremble dirt but you won't be able to rub it off.

The hardest part is sanding ; that can take 1 or 2 hours. Everything else us just spray painting and waiting. I wouldn't do it until winter is over though. And don't and it until you're ready to paint it, it will just rust.

That back plate, with the stickers us galvanized and shouldn't really have any rust on it. I think the case might be galvanized as well.

EDIT:
You can see it in this picture :
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 20:35:33 by 127001 »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 21:43:01 »
I will look again later but I honestly didn't see any or much at least.

God I wish there was an oversized, heavy case like this for the poker, that would be awesome, throw some classic beige pbt keycaps on it, retro swag :P

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:09:56 »
I will look again later but I honestly didn't see any or much at least.

God I wish there was an oversized, heavy case like this for the poker, that would be awesome, throw some classic beige pbt keycaps on it, retro swag :P

Have you tried the F switches side by side with a poker? My filco, that feels so nice since I got it, always feels "cheap" and "super soft" when I use both, one after the other.

So all you want, is all you got and a converter/controller to use it.

Note to myself: How did I miss this?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:20:26 »
Yeah I am going to get the converter, but my idea about the whole poker thing was so it would be something I wouldn't be to worried about using at my desk all day every day. I have grown to like mx black more for a daily switch because I type and game so its a great middle ground. I wouldn't be putting a cherry mx blue poker in my dream kishsaver recreation case :P

I wish I possessed the tools necessary to just make a keyboard case at any time though  :rolleyes:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:34:56 »
I've still yet to see one of these that's not beat to ****.

Offline 127001

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:43:53 »
Yeah they're all pretty roughed up. These things are like tanks though... I doubt any keyboard has a more intense case. The metal is really thick, much thicker than that of order models.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 23:55:26 »
127001, can I get a picture of the spacebar wire and maybe its length and such?

Offline 127001

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:17:38 »
133mm long
22.25mm wide
Connection prongs are 9mm long
wire is 2mm thick

I'll take a photo tomorrow some time. My bar is way too stiff when it's in place though so I wonder if it's the right bar in the first place...
Either way I'm going to make adjustments to it.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:45:12 »
133mm long
22.25mm wide
wire is 2mm thick

I'll take a photo tomorrow some time. My bar is way too stiff when it's in place though so I wonder if it's the right bar in the first place...

My F122 stabilizer is ~1mm thick, not 2mm. The connection prongs are closer to 4 or 5mm. I don't know what the Kishsaver takes yet, but I imagine it to be the same as the F122. You probably have an M stabilizer.

If the stabilizer snaps into the space bar, then it's almost certainly an M space bar. The F122 space bar has holes that the prongs slide into, not snap into.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:46:21 »
Got to check one of these things out the other day.  I thoroughly regret not buying one these things are TANKS and heavy as ****.

Offline 127001

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:52:57 »
133mm long
22.25mm wide
wire is 2mm thick

My F122 stabilizer is ~1mm thick, not 2mm. The connection prongs are closer to 4 or 5mm. I don't know what the Kishsaver takes yet, but I imagine it to be the same as the F122. You probably have an M stabilizer.

If the stabilizer snaps into the space bar, then it's almost certainly an M space bar. The F122 space bar has holes that the prongs slide into, not snap into.

Thought that might be the case. Thanks for the info. Looks like I have even more work :P

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 00:59:22 »
Thought that might be the case. Thanks for the info. Looks like I have even more work :P

I'm working on making a converter stabilizer, but I've been told multiple times that there are easier ways. I'm still going to see if I can work it out, but fohat.digs has recommended making the tabs to hold the larger M space bar stabilizer, not the other way around:

Making a tab is easy. I used sheet metal bent into a "Z" shape and epoxied in place.

I made mine rather long, and they can be "tuned" by bending the opening longer or shorter.

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:02:03 by Aer Fixus »

Offline 127001

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:04:46 »

I'm working on making a converter stabilizer, but I've been told multiple times that there are easier ways. I'm still going to see if I can work it out, but fohat.digs has recommended making the tabs to hold the larger M space bar stabilizer, not the other way around:

Making a tab is easy. I used sheet metal bent into a "Z" shape and epoxied in place.

I made mine rather long, and they can be "tuned" by bending the opening longer or shorter.

Show Image

When you have the opportunity could you measure the width of the stabilizer bar for your f122? Is it the same as the dimension I mentioned? if so I'll try just making some adapter rings and get some 1mm thick wire

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:11:40 »
The M and F stabilizers are the same measurements along the inside rim.

P.S. I couldn't think of anything that would adapt the size from 1mm to 2mm, but it would work wonderfully if you could find the right piece.

Offline 127001

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:14:17 »
I'm thinking of just printing off some rings in the next few weeks that would do it. I'll try to make a few dozen of them.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:19:42 »
I'm thinking of just printing off some rings in the next few weeks that would do it. I'll try to make a few dozen of them.
I'd take a dozen. For the future. Because I don't know when/if I'll need them and I can't imagine they are going to be expensive. (if they are, I'll take 4 :P)

Offline 127001

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:22:25 »
I'd take a dozen. For the future. Because I don't know when/if I'll need them and I can't imagine they are going to be expensive. (if they are, I'll take 4 :P)
I'll let you know when I get to it. It'll likely be a month from now just FYI

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:31:28 »
I'll let you know when I get to it. It'll likely be a month from now just FYI
That's all right by me. I'll be occupied with my 60% M project if my parts come in a timely manner.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:54:27 »
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, here's another!   ;D

Need to give it a good cleaning, that's for sure.  And some paint issues.  I also suspect I should open this up and check for rust, as you others in the thread are experiencing issues with that.  Feels good though!   :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 03:41:40 »

Show Image

Need to give it a good cleaning, that's for sure.  And some paint issues.  I also suspect I should open this up and check for rust, as you others in the thread are experiencing issues with that.  Feels good though!   :thumb:

Be happy - you have Enter key :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 07:29:14 »

Show Image

And a reset key, and a shift key and pd1-3 keys :P

Lucky

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 07:37:33 »

Show Image

That ones looks almost exactly like mine with all three PD# keys.  Though I am missing keytops for the two keys next to the Alts.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 07:37:48 »
Before:

After:

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:03:35 »
Looks sexy  :thumb:

Offline 127001

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:07:29 »
Nice one :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:10:18 »
Hehe thanks guys. I'm now in the hunt for a set of Unicomp Wildcats keycaps for my 6019284 :D. Tried emailing Unicomp for some but they said they only had blank white and blue sets now.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:13:32 »
So this is looking good. I contacted unicomp this morning and asked them about the keycaps and they said that they can print the PD2, PD3, Shift, ><, reset and enter key. The only thing they cannot do it make the reset and enter key raised, it would simply be a flat key, not a biggie. I accidentally circled one of the 2 blank bottom row keys so they added to that and said for the 7 it would cost 30, so I actually only need 6 keys. I will try this after the holidays.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:15:04 »
HPE1000, keep us informed. I'd like those caps as well :D.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:22:42 »
HPE1000, keep us informed. I'd like those caps as well :D.
The listing on their website makes it sound like its a full set but the person said they could do the 7 keys. I think I will ask what the price of a full set would be since some of my keys are slightly dented and such. These will obviously be 2 piece keys unlike the stock kishsaver keys but it really doesn't matter, makes cleaning the keycaps easier anyway :)

Anyone know what their custom printed keycap process is? Are they just printed, etched, dye-subbed?

I just love unicomps fast responses though, they always seem to have top quality customer service from what I have seen.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/CPSET

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:45:08 »

Show Image

And a reset key, and a shift key and pd1-3 keys :P

Lucky

Indeed!  I noticed right away that I lucked out and got the full set of keycaps.  :)

Now we just need that controller to get finished up...  :p

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:56:40 »
Well, my Kishsaver came in the mail today!

Mine had all of the correct keys except for the right shift. It even has the original spacebar and stabilizer. I have a comparison for those who want to make sure which spacebar they have, even if they don't have the stabilizer. It cleaned up quite nice, minus the dried paint that someone dropped onto it at some point.

For the full text commentary and more pictures, here's the imgur album link http://imgur.com/a/HuLNV#0.

Some select images for here:

Dirty:

The wrong shift key:

Keys popped off:

Stabilizer comparison:

F stabilizer:

M stabilizer:

Clean!

Offline wcass