Author Topic: [IC] FLX - Virgo  (Read 79194 times)

Offline Flexerman

• Thanks for all the fish
[IC] FLX - Virgo
« on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:40:14 »

Group Buy thread is up here: [size=78%]https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104617.0[/size][/size]
Update 05/01/2020: All the pieces have slotted into place.
[size=78%]
I'm happy to announce that the group buy will start on the 15th of February 2020.

Group buy format:
Single form for entry, GB places allocated as follows.

10 places FCFS, available to the first 10 entries on the google form.
40 places Raffle, once the form closes names will be randomly selected by computer.

This sale is scheduled for 50 boards 'ish, I hope this number can be reached, however, there is a MOQ at the below prices of 25 boards.
There will be extra boards ordered to ensure A-stock for purchasers, therefore I would expect 'some' extras.

Colour options are.
Onyx
Space Silver
Red Hibiscus
Aubergine
and Teal Green

Top and base colours can be mixed and matched.

The Kit:
T6 aluminium chassis,
Black anodised Alu plate,
PCB and Daughterboard.
Brass weight,
mounting rubbers,
screws and fixings.

A kit is [/size]$560 excl. Shipping.[size=78%]

Extras: (prices TBC)
Switchplates:
    Aluminium
    Brass
    FR4
    Mounting rubbers included with each plate.

PCB's:
    Extra PCB's will come with a unified daughterboard included.

All plate and PCB files will be made available once the GB phase is concluded. 

A limited number of full brass bases are being produced, more on this before the GB date.

Please ask any questions you have, or if you have any special requests I'm all ears here, PM or Discord, it's been a long road to get to this stage solo, I can't wait to get these boards into people's hands.
I encourage you to join my Discord Discord invite: https://discord.gg/dDjx7q3 for live discussion and up to the second information, I will, of course, be keeping this thread updated too.

Thank you... all...  yes, even you Mr negative :D

[/size]Hello everyone![size=78%]

So this has probably taken a bit too long, but I am finally updating this IC to better inform potential participants, and try and convey my plans for this board.

Right off the bat, let's address the name change. I had several people note that V90 is also the name of a Volvo Estate car, and while I’m sure it’s a great car, I thought it best to go with something else, after careful consideration and tossing many coins, I give you the Virgo, hopefully, the first of many boards from FLX <--- That’s me  ;D .

[/size]The seed of an idea.[size=78%]

This board was originally an idea I had after seeing the EM7 and Alice type layouts, a layout that I have owned, and didn’t really get along with, so I looked to change things to suit my own tastes.

This is the first “Ergonomic’ keyboard I used, and I used it 8 hours a day 5 days a week for about 3 years. It was awful, but it was super comfortable, so comfortable that it took me a little while before I could go back to a standard layout.

So I started looking for a board that would suit my needs other than LZ’s Ergo, which is near impossible to source on the aftermarket, there was nothing else in the custom keyboard community that came close to filling this void for me. I set about designing it for myself, with a view that I would get one made for me and that’s that. Three months later and after 13 iterations on the design, the Virgo came to be.

[/size]Testing out Geekhack.[size=78%]

Being proud of the board I had designed and with the encouragement of some friend in the community, I put my first, rather lacklustre interest check on here, to see if there was any appetite from anyone else for a board like this.

In 24 hours I had 200+ people register an interest, including some big names in the community who I respect and who’s work I have admired for years.

I had to run it.

[/size]The Keyboard.[size=78%]
  •         T6 6061 Aluminium Construction.
  •         QMK compatible PCB
  •         Gasket ‘Esq’ plate mounting.
  •         Seamless top housing over bottom housing design.
  •         7 degree typing angle
  •         Weight system (Design to be finalised)   
  •         Aluminium Switch plate (Anodised)
  •         USB-C Daughterboard (Opens sourced by AI03) Credits: Wilba, Hineybush, Xelus, Xondat, Aeryxz, Maximillian, AI03
  •         12 Degree split (12 degree improvement in radial deviation.
Here is a 3D turntable viewer of the board...
* HTMLViewer.html (3747.3 kB - downloaded 501 times.)

[/size]Layouts.[size=78%]

The following layouts are supported (as requested).

[/size]What's in the kit.The standard kit will include:[size=78%]
  • The Case
  • Aluminium plate
  • PCB
  • Weight*
  • USB-C Daughter board
  • screws
  • Gaskets
There will be extra PCB's and plates available at time of purchase too.

Plate files and PCB design will be made public after the group buy has been fulfilled, so hopefully one of my boards never becomes an un-used ornament because a PCB dies.

I will update this section as I go if required…

[/size]Colours.[size=78%]

So my original plan was to keep to a single colourway and that’s that, however, due to high demand (or outrage in some cases) I have agreed a deal with the manufacturer to allow a small number of colour options for each part I’ve yet to finalise these colours (I need your help), but should you take part in the GB, you will get to pick the colour of your top housing, Base and Plate separately to get the look you desire.

Below are a few renders of colour schemes to get you thinking.

[/size]Your board needs you.Interest check google form[size=78%]... let me know if your interested to join the GB.

[/size]Plate material check..[size=78%] Other plate materials may or may not be available in the group buy, but please let me know which you would like to see by default in the kit.

More surveys coming, please come back later and help me out.

Also, feel free to join my Discord, it's just been set up, so it may be quiet for a few days, but I'll use it to keep people up to date the progress reports and other news.

Discord invite:  https://discord.gg/dDjx7q3

Nothing is final till the GB starts…

Thank you in advance for your time.

[/size]
Group buy Information.
[size=78%]

My initial prototype is expected imminently, barring any major issues or re-works being required then I see no reason to hold off too long on the GB.

• suprseeded - See update at the top of this thread
  • Pricing: To be finalised, but please don’t expect it to be cheap, for many reasons.
  • Method: Not 100% sure yet, I dislike FCFS, but it seems to get things moving. The current thought is that I’ll sell a small proportion as FCFS, and the rest in a raffle format, there will be a limited number of invites also.
  • Quantity: If there are enough orders then initially I will sell 75 boards during the group buy, I will, however, order several extras (Circa. 100 total boards) to ensure that every one of the orders from the initial GB gets a high-grade A-Spec board.
  • After the GB has been completely fulfilled any extras will then be released for sale.
[/size]Vendors.[size=78%]

Nope…  :(

[/size]Thanks.[size=78%]

My wife – I’ve been a little obsessive in the last month or so.
Friends – For encouraging me to go public with this.
Jae-3soteric – For letting me bounce ideas around and your knowledge of the EU scene.
AI03 – For having a great Discord for all things. I needed it for my PCB design.
Merlin64 (Mechmerlin) - For helping me with QMK, top chap.
This community – I’ve had a fair amount of support so far, thank you.

To be continued.......
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 February 2020, 00:48:26 by Flexerman »

Offline Flexerman

Re: [IC] Flex's V90
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:41:18 »
Google form added.

https://forms.gle/D16WhXbnhctswmj28

Note, this is most likely to be a fairly small run of boards when it gets made. I'm not sure if were talking FCFS, raffle or possibly invites, if it does end up being an invite board, then I will be using this form as a guide for who is actually interested and not just planning to flip, so please fill it out, it may give you a better chance of getting a board.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:01:09 by Flexerman »

Offline sharkz_vaderz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:47:09 »
I'm interested..seem like something unique for TKL..

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:50:39 »
This looks really cool! I love curves and sides. Waiting for prototype. Nice job  :thumb:

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:50:44 »
Wow. Count me interested  :D

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:53:13 »
Yes!

Finally!!!

Offline Pengu1S1K

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:56:45 »
****en amazing
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:58:22 by Pengu1S1K »

Offline stepstone82

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:00:33 »
Count me in. And I wonder what "dampened bottom mount" is.

나의 SM-N971N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Offline beekey

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:04:44 »
Interested! Can you do a render from the top to see the layout better?

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:06:33 »
Very nice ! In for a fixed ISO plate version. Brass would be nice (or a plate file..)

Offline lorenzocodes

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:15:01 »
So many nice ergo coming out, i like it

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:32:35 »
Looks really good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:39:59 »
Interested! Can you do a render from the top to see the layout better?

This is actually very important so yes.

Quick and dirty render of the ISO layout (ANSI users are also supported).

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:42:24 »
An ergo tkl! The moment I have been waiting for has finally come  :D

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:48:43 »
that's an LZ Ergo?

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:53:41 »
interested AND intrigued! I've been using a quefrency at similar angles and starting to get used to it.

Offline Flexerman

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 06:56:42 »
that's an LZ Ergo?

I'm quite open about my love for the LZ ERGO in the top post, this is also very different in design and layout (and split angle) , I tried several different case shapes to accommodate the layout of straight split keys and none look as good as the shallow V shape so I just went with it.

If its not for you, fine, but it's not meant as a direct copy or a replacement for LZ's board.

Shall I start linking the hundreds of TKL's, 60's and 65% boards that share a shape?

Offline Chrislol

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 07:35:54 »
I love that layout, cheer up !! I will buy it!!

Offline dantambok

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:09:34 »
Let's go!  :thumb:

curious how much the proto will weigh with the solid brass bottom. Gonna be hefty for sure!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:12:02 by dantambok »
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:12:17 »
I've got a weak spot for Ergos so count me in.
I love what you've done to get rid of the seam.

I have 2 small requests:
Winkey!  I need that key.  Will the PCB allow me to use 2 x 1.25u next to the space rather than a 1u and 1.5u like the picture?
The blocker is in the perfect spot - that key is a PITA to reach on the LZ ergo.

Could you flatten out this bottom edge a little bit (kinda like the LZ Ergo but not as big)?
Speaking from experience with my LZ Ergos that flat edge makes for a good reference point when aligning everything for an optimal typing position.

227391-0

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:17:27 »
I really like it man, both the layout and design. I'd really appreciate the chance to buy this with a CF plate too if at all possible. Thank you!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:28:10 »
Qmk? Plate thickness?

Love the idea.

Offline papayapyjamas

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 08:40:47 »
101% im in!

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:15:01 »
dope

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:16:36 »
Really dig that layout and the side profile, consider me interested!

If there's any possibility for plate thickness options, might I suggest a 5mm plate?

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:22:41 »
This is great looking! Definitely interested

Offline pilotxj

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:25:40 »
This looks great, I am interested.  I will second a CF plate option, please.

Offline ACF101015

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:32:18 »
Definitely interested if there will be an option for winkey boards. Would also be interested in different case options (e.g. polycarbonate).

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 10:36:08 »
Are there any pics of the PCB yet?
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:05:56 »
This looks really nice. I'm on board for this!

Offline t8c

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:14:09 »
Stunning

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 11:30:35 »
Ergo TKL?! This design is absolutely bonkers, instacop for me!

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 12:31:17 »
errbody getting on the ergo meme lately

decent stuff, frow is kinda strange but oh well

Offline geniekid

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:33:43 »
LZ Ergo has been my primary driver at work for the last 2 years and on multiple occasions I've considered using my extra Ergo PCB and designing my own case/plate around it.  Here are some thoughts.  They are my opinion and I do not claim to speak for others!

Layout/usability:
  • Consider increasing the split angle, or increasing the horizontal spacing between the left and right clusters.  Compared to the Microsoft Natural and the Cherry MX5000, the LZ Ergo already has the smallest separation.  Individual users vary, but I could use a bigger split.
  • Consider putting the Alt keys next to the spacebar, similar to the LZ Ergo.  Not having to curl my thumbs as much is one of the things I love about the Ergo.
  • I don't see Lock key indicators in the render.  I assume there are plans to add some?
  • I like the 7 degree incline.
  • USB via a daughterboard is a great idea.  The USB port is probably the most fragile component on most custom boards.  Being able to replace that component without desoldering an entire board is something I appreciate :)

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.
  • I like the F-key layout more than the Ergo.  Have you considered slightly increased horizontal spacing?  That F5 key is a little awkward.  Not sure that level of isolation is necessary.
  • I don't like the way the top shell covers the bottom.  I'm not a fan of the way the LZ Ergo handles it either.  I'd rather have a seam line than distinctively different tops and bottoms.
  • Consider offering anodized plates if you go with aluminum.  I hate the reflective silver showing up in the gaps between my keys on my black Ergo (with BoW caps).

All that said, I like what I see.  The Alt keys are the only deal breaker (again, just speaking for myself).
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2019, 13:35:55 by geniekid »

Offline jaang

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:05:35 »
interested :O

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:09:13 »
This is pretty much what I was lookin for when I saw the Physix pop up from LZ. Pending specifics I'm very interested as the design looks good. I am a proponent of only 1 B. On the right side of course.

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 16:19:11 »
LZ Ergo has been my primary driver at work for the last 2 years and on multiple occasions I've considered using my extra Ergo PCB and designing my own case/plate around it.  Here are some thoughts.  They are my opinion and I do not claim to speak for others!

Layout/usability:
  • Consider increasing the split angle, or increasing the horizontal spacing between the left and right clusters.  Compared to the Microsoft Natural and the Cherry MX5000, the LZ Ergo already has the smallest separation.  Individual users vary, but I could use a bigger split.
  • Consider putting the Alt keys next to the spacebar, similar to the LZ Ergo.  Not having to curl my thumbs as much is one of the things I love about the Ergo.
  • I don't see Lock key indicators in the render.  I assume there are plans to add some?
  • USB via a daughterboard is a great idea.  The USB port is probably the most fragile component on most custom boards.  Being able to replace that component without desoldering an entire board is something I appreciate :)

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.
  • I like the F-key layout more than the Ergo.  Have you considered slightly increased horizontal spacing?  That F5 key is a little awkward.  Not sure that level of isolation is necessary.
  • I don't like the way the top shell covers the bottom.  I'm not a fan of the way the LZ Ergo handles it either.  I'd rather have a seam line than distinctively different tops and bottoms.
  • Consider offering anodized plates if you go with aluminum.  I hate the reflective silver showing up in the gaps between my keys on my black Ergo (with BoW caps).

All that said, I like what I see.  The Alt keys are the only deal breaker (again, just speaking for myself).

If a bigger split happened, that would be cool. This really got me thinking about negative space on keyboards. I don't really have many dealbreakers on either list.

Who else hits the alt key via curling their middle finger?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:21:56 »

Layout/usability:

Aesthetics:
  • I like the corners.

If a bigger split happened, that would be cool. This really got me thinking about negative space on keyboards. I don't really have many dealbreakers on either list.

Who else hits the alt key via curling their middle finger?

negative space = more alu = bigger = costs more

not that cost is really a barrier for people anymore
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 18:42:32 »

not that cost is really a barrier for people anymore

-->| MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice

Offline iEatPuppers

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 20:06:43 »
Nice to see an ergo tkl. Looks hot.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 23:54:10 »
Very interesting, I was just thinking about a very similar layout during the past few days. TKLs have always been my favorite layout by far. I have a soft spot for sky blue and crimson red colors. If either one of those is an option then I see nothing stopping me from getting one.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline thornkin

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 00:13:10 »
I second the ask for winkey.
Also, I didn't see it mentioned.  Is this QMK?

Offline Kenton

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 03:57:00 »
i like it

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 04:41:04 »
Late interest

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:32:47 »
This is freaking brilliant! love it :D

Offline flippanteer

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:34:59 »
Superbly interested!
Current boards: FLX Virgo w/ NK Drys, E8.5 w/ NK Drys, LZ Physix w/ H1s,  Moon TKL w/ MX Zilents, HAD66 [Alice layout] w/ NK Creams, KBD75v1 w/ Zealios 67g v1

Purchased boards: Infinitum

Past boards: Trinity w/ Tealios v2, Lubrigante w/ Holy YOK Trash Pandas, Kumo w/ Novelkeys Cream, Diverge 2 w/ MX Browns, Planck w/ MOD-H, Anne Pro w/ MX Blue

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 07:36:53 »
Loving the wkl ergo, cant wait to see the proto with some caps on it!!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:50:56 »
interested.
Finally an ISO compatible ergo.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 08:57:54 »
Interested

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline Damage

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 23:22:15 »
Interested. Would like to see a winkey option.