Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 922426 times)

Offline jorgenslee

Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 06:22:02 »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  Yes, the Lightsaver I have is currently running TMK.  Should I try the latest beta?

Does Lightsaver and other Duck custom have reset button in case you want to reset the controller?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 06:25:47 »
Yes.  Instead of a jumper or a physical switch, those boards have a key you press down when you plug it in. On KMAC it's Caps. I think Orion it's delete.  Have to search around for the lightsaver key.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #452 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 06:41:09 »
Sure its safe.  If it doesn't work, you just hit the reset switch and program the old code on to it.  It probably works though. I think someone tried it
Sound good! Thanks you!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #453 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 06:50:24 »
hiya ! thanks for the firmware.
I just reprogrammed my techkeys card. managed to assign what i wanted but the Leds are no longer working. Any idea how can I get it fixed ? :D thanks
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #454 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 07:13:52 »
I just reprogrammed my techkeys card. managed to assign what i wanted but the Leds are no longer working. Any idea how can I get it fixed ? :D thanks

The Easy AVR USB firmware is designed for keyboards and, obviously, works consistently across various hardware.  Techcard-specific software probably does interesting and fun things with the LEDs on that board, but my code just treats it like a normal keyboard.  Therefore the LEDs are used as backlights, if I remember correctly.  You'd have to turn them on by mapping something to BL_Enable.  I'm not sure why I configured it to off by default.  Probably because I found the LEDs to be too bright and thus annoying to me at night.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 07:25:39 »
I just took a peek at the code and apparently I already started Lightsaver at some point in the past and forgot about it... lol

76231-0

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 07:59:29 »

The Easy AVR USB firmware is designed for keyboards and, obviously, works consistently across various hardware.  Techcard-specific software probably does interesting and fun things with the LEDs on that board, but my code just treats it like a normal keyboard.  Therefore the LEDs are used as backlights, if I remember correctly.  You'd have to turn them on by mapping something to BL_Enable.  I'm not sure why I configured it to off by default.  Probably because I found the LEDs to be too bright and thus annoying to me at night.

omg  :confused: i'll try and play around. hopefully i'll manage to get it back on  :))
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 08:06:55 »
Yes.  Instead of a jumper or a physical switch, those boards have a key you press down when you plug it in. On KMAC it's Caps. I think Orion it's delete.  Have to search around for the lightsaver key.

Cool, will Duck Viper be also supported in the future? In lightsaver, can easy avr control the side leds? Also, what's the different mode for backlight LED? Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I can't find it in the OP. Thanks

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #458 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:22:14 »
Key to the right above backspace. Scroll lock in your picture.

There are some "LED groups" like the KMAC. The side LEDs are wired up as a "group", so presumably they're accessable. I'm fine even if not because I hate them until I can get them swapped out for a better colour (was thinking purple)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:24:15 by dorkvader »

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:42:07 »

seems like i'm able to get the leds back on. any idea how to make them to be switched on on default ?  :)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #460 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:59:18 »
Stupid question: how to use (to program) layer1, layer2, layer3, etc. with Easy AVR?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:16:20 »
The side LEDs are supported, they are treated as a backlight group.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #462 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:17:25 »

seems like i'm able to get the leds back on. any idea how to make them to be switched on on default ?  :)

unfortunately not possible on the techcard :(  It's too small to support the config console.  I guess I'll try to change it on the next version so they are on by default.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:22:17 »
Stupid question: how to use (to program) layer1, layer2, layer3, etc. with Easy AVR?

It should be obvious.  I suspect you are either not using it correctly or you don't understand the concept.  I know your first language is not english, perhaps I'm not understanding you.

The FN keys are modifiers, like the Shift key.  When you hold one of the FN keys, subsequent presses will access the different layers.  The FN key accesses the FN layer in the software.  FN2 accesses Layer 2.  FN3 for layer 3 and so on.

You map out the layers in the keymapper by selecting them at the top.  Most of the layers start empty.  I suggest using copy/paste to copy the map from a different layer to get started.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #464 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:26:09 »

unfortunately not possible on the techcard :(  It's too small to support the config console.  I guess I'll try to change it on the next version so they are on by default.

no rush sir, thank you for this firmware ! it's really nice to use. many possibilities are available  ;D

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 12:50:27 »
@metalliqaz Thanks, I didn’t get that “Fn” means function layer 1, while “layer 2” means function layer 2. The naming is abit confusing ...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #466 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 12:57:30 »
@metalliqaz Thanks, I didn’t get that “Fn” means function layer 1, while “layer 2” means function layer 2. The naming is abit confusing ...

Sorry 'bout that.  It is explained in the documentation, though.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 01:07:26 »
Is it normal for Chrome to detect the .zip file to be malicious?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #468 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:59:39 »

for me yes, i used IE to download the file.
but there's nth wrong with the file it seems, i'm not too sure why chrome detected it that way.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 04:24:06 »
Anyone tried this with a Light Pad?
Any plans for Eagle/Viper support?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #470 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 08:48:08 »

for me yes, i used IE to download the file.
but there's nth wrong with the file it seems, i'm not too sure why chrome detected it that way.

Thanks Pichu23, I will let me run it and download it but it makes damn sure to let me know its opinion of the file first.

Are any of the supported boards 105 key layout?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 00:03:56 »
Uh...
Hmm.

I may have just bricked my Light Pad...

Anyone wanna take crack at helping me?
I'm warning you now, I'm terrible at troubleshooting.

Ehehe...
Nevermind... :-[
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 September 2014, 00:12:55 by StylinGreymon »

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 00:39:01 »
That was fun.
Anyway, I'm trying to map my Light Pad to this:

Basic stuff.
Using the GHpad as a base, as it's the only numpad in the options.

However, after flashing the firmware, my / and * keys seem to be acting as BL_ENABLE, and my FN key is acting like BL_DIMMER.
Also, none of the other keys send any scancodes.

Any thoughts?

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 01:00:27 »
Lightpad (https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/lightpad/matrix.c)
Code: [Select]
/* Row configuration
* row: 0 1 2 3 4 5
* pin: PD0 PD1 PD2 PD3 PD5 PB7
* Firmware uses pin PE2
*/
/* Column configuration
* col: 0 1 2 3
* pin: PF0 PF1 PC7 PC6
*/

GHpad (https://github.com/regack/4x6/tree/4x5 at least I think this is the correct one for the GHpad..)
Code: [Select]

ROW1 = PD0 / pin 18
    ROW2 = PD1 / pin 19
    ROW3 = PD2 / pin 20
    ROW4 = PD3 / pin 21
    ROW5 = PD4 / pin 25

ROW6 = PD5 / pin 22

COL1 = PF0 / pin 41
    COL2 = PF1 / pin 40
    COL3 = PE6 / pin 1
    COL4 = PC7 / pin 32

Some of the pins used are different, so it's probably impossible to get the GHpad layout to work on a Lightpad.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #474 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 01:05:15 »
Shows what I know.

Thanks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #475 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 05:41:02 »
Lightpad isn't supported, as Igthorn expertly showed

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #476 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 17:24:05 »
Lightpad isn't supported, as Igthorn expertly showed
Any plans to change that?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #477 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 17:29:26 »
I live adding support for new hardware.  First I need to buy a house and move into it, though

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #478 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:26:08 »
JD40 question/feature request:

Is there a way to assign some Teensy pins to light when Fn states are engaged?

So while FN1 is on, I can light a red LED, and when FN2 is on, I can light a blue LED, etc?

Thanks as always!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #479 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 21:00:06 »
Not currently supported but could probably be added

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #480 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 04:42:47 »
Not currently supported but could probably be added

IIRC something like this was implemented for the Phantom, right? (Personal reminder: Need to update the Phantom firmware)

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #481 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 14:25:56 »
I'm trying to use your firmware with my GHpad from this GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Flashed the firmware successfully, it's detected by the PC and everything, just doesn't actually function. Is this firmware compatible with this revision of GHpad?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #482 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 18:11:49 »
I'm trying to use your firmware with my GHpad from this GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Flashed the firmware successfully, it's detected by the PC and everything, just doesn't actually function. Is this firmware compatible with this revision of GHpad?

Apparently that board was modified by the person who made them.  I don't know what changes were made, so it is impossible for me to know if it is supported.  Of course, the original doesn't even have confirmed support, so it isn't really clear why it doesn't work.  If you want to be my guinea pig we might be able to get it supported.  I'm going to need a lot of help, since I have no hardware reference, though.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #483 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 18:31:31 »

Apparently that board was modified by the person who made them.  I don't know what changes were made, so it is impossible for me to know if it is supported.  Of course, the original doesn't even have confirmed support, so it isn't really clear why it doesn't work.  If you want to be my guinea pig we might be able to get it supported.  I'm going to need a lot of help, since I have no hardware reference, though.

I bought two before I designed the GH36, and would be happy to send you one.

Shall I?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #484 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:06:04 »

I'm willing to do some testing!
Also, the firmware on regack's repo ( https://github.com/regack/4x6/tree/GHpad/firmware ) seems to work perfectly fine. Not sure about the full backlighting support on this PCB revision, however.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:08:51 by Defying »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 09:03:45 »
Hi guys, just checking in to say that I closed on my house on Friday.  It's a very busy time so I'll be unavailable for a bit (as you may have noticed).  I will return, though.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 10:42:36 »
Congratulations!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 11:53:53 »
Hi guys, just checking in to say that I closed on my house on Friday.  It's a very busy time so I'll be unavailable for a bit (as you may have noticed).  I will return, though.

Congratulations!

FYI, my GH36 burned with keymap_20140902 works fine on a Windows PC, but is not even recognized by my Linux PC.  The LEDs illuminate (WASD and on Teensy) but no scancodes are passed, not does it show up as a USB device.

Works great on a real Windows PC, however.

I'll try it on other Linux PCs at work.

Can you please comment when you get a chance?

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi

[update]
Worked fine on another Linux box.  I'll try other USB ports when I get it back home.  Sadly, the machine it doesn't work on is my primary computer, and the one where I do all my keyboard/PCB designs.  <sigh>  Prototyping, I suppose...
[/update]
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:11:35 by samwisekoi »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 12:21:08 »
Thanks, guys.

FYI, my GH36 burned with keymap_20140902 works fine on a Windows PC, but is not even recognized by my Linux PC.  The LEDs illuminate (WASD and on Teensy) but no scancodes are passed, not does it show up as a USB device.

Use your windows machine to go into the debug console and put the keyboard into simple mode (or something like that, I forgot what exactly I called it).  See if that helps on the linux box.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:19:34 »
Thanks, guys.

Use your windows machine to go into the debug console and put the keyboard into simple mode (or something like that, I forgot what exactly I called it).  See if that helps on the linux box.

Debug console?  Windows debug console?  Teensy debug console? Keymapper debug console?

Thanks!

- Ron

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:44:00 »
Debug console?  Windows debug console?  Teensy debug console? Keymapper debug console?

I've just read the help pages for the 9/2 beta, and I think I know what's going on but don't have a programmable keyboard here to test it.

in 'Qaz software, you can map a key to the console. Then, you build and flash the keyboard with the has-a-console firmware, then fire up notepad or the like and pretend you're at a teletype. Press the debug key, and it will type out a menu, and you can use notepad to enter commands, such as toggle basic mode (help file does say its called that). Save the config changes (maybe?) and reboot the PC -- try using it then.

I get a similar problem though, with my ergodox. During boot, it goes to a grub menu, and the ergodox arrow keys are useless. But if I warm boot, sometimes it will work. If I have a regular USB keyboard attached when I warm boot (never first the first, cold boot) then the arrow keys on the ergodox (mass drop / benblazek code) works fine.

I just sold my phantom but I've warned the user to follow this and a few other threads so maybe he's reprogrammed his by now...I'll ask about it, actually.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:12:12 »

I've just read the help pages for the 9/2 beta, and I think I know what's going on but don't have a programmable keyboard here to test it.

in 'Qaz software, you can map a key to the console. Then, you build and flash the keyboard with the has-a-console firmware, then fire up notepad or the like and pretend you're at a teletype. Press the debug key, and it will type out a menu, and you can use notepad to enter commands, such as toggle basic mode (help file does say its called that). Save the config changes (maybe?) and reboot the PC -- try using it then.

I get a similar problem though, with my ergodox. During boot, it goes to a grub menu, and the ergodox arrow keys are useless. But if I warm boot, sometimes it will work. If I have a regular USB keyboard attached when I warm boot (never first the first, cold boot) then the arrow keys on the ergodox (mass drop / benblazek code) works fine.

I just sold my phantom but I've warned the user to follow this and a few other threads so maybe he's reprogrammed his by now...I'll ask about it, actually.

Thanks!  This was the hint I needed.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[update]
Okay, that was really cool.  An important note that isn't covered in the doc (Easy_keymap_2014mmdd/doc/console.txt) is that you must also have the digits 0-9 and the Enter key mapped.  This would normally not require mentioning, but I have only 1-5 on my GH36 map, and I just happened to add 6-0 to the function layer this morning.

Anyhow, follow the doc, make sure you have 0-9 and Enter mapped, and it works.  Now to see if this fixed the problem with my main Linux machine at home.
[/update]
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:43:06 by samwisekoi »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:47:02 »
Heh. I chose numbers and Enter because those are keys that should be on both keyboards and keypads.  I didn't consider your Frankenstein creation

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 15:11:58 »
Heh. I chose numbers and Enter because those are keys that should be on both keyboards and keypads.  I didn't consider your Frankenstein creation

Yep.  I never need numbers higher than 4 to choose a weapon.  But I added an FN layer for use with my PCB-layout program, and that needs all the numbers.

I am going to put in a locking switch for FN, so it can be a gaming pad normally and then transform with the push of a button.

I hid console and boot on a hard-to-reach FN2 layer, because they seem to be useful to keep in place.

(Very impressed by the console, BTW.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 21:01:42 »
yeah I used one for the first time on a gon NerD faceW PCB: Very cool to use!

<3 the text console.

Congrats on closing on the house, metalliqaz! I would love to bake a pie and visit you sometime.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 23:02:32 by dorkvader »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 21:41:43 »
Oh does the Nerd have one too?  Interesting.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #496 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 23:01:52 »
Oh does the Nerd have one too?  Interesting.

No, it was a faceW.

I think all the winkeyless.kr boards have it.

My bad.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #497 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 00:05:49 »

Hey, that's awesome! Take it easy and we'll see you again when you can take a breath. :)

Offline Euf0ria

« Reply #498 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 01:21:07 »
Hi metalliqaz,
Im using your latest version of AVR and would like to report an issue. (there's workarounds, so not a big problem)
Scenario:
I use the layout for HID liberation device with ISO and my keyboard is in Swedish with Big ISO enter and ÅÄÖ which works fine.
When I then program some macros there's an issue with the mapping. For example I want a macro writing an "[ IMG ]" tag. the "[" is placed on alt+8 on a swedish layout but just a click on "[" for non-swedish layout. In my case the alt+8 gets taken for an alt code and i end up with a "◘" which is alt+8 when typed on the numpad.
I then thought: "great, lets use altcodes instead and I got ahead writing alt codes for [ IMG ][ / img ], then i got problem with multiple altcodes in a row. and for .\ALT(91).\ALT(93) which should get me [] instead wrote "Ú" which is the combined altcode for 9193.

Summary: Two problems: 1.macro seems to use numpad for my number-row that is not set as numpad. 2. multiple altcodes in a row gets taken for a summary of the codes.

Ps. Workaround is to write a letter followed by a .\DEL, to break the pattern between the alt codes, but this renders a tiny bit more code to memory.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:11:53 by Euf0ria »
All your base are belong to us

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #499 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:43:06 »
Update with problem connecting to Linux PC:

Re-loaded GH36 keypad with latest (20140902) version.  Set keyboard to "basic".  Still didn't work on front-mounted USB 3.0 ports.

Moved cable to I/O plate-mounted USB 2.0 port and voila!  We have keypad recognition.

Thanks for your help, y'all

- Ron | samwisekoi