Author Topic: Wood Poker/Pure/GH60 case, a work in progress.  (Read 26612 times)

Offline catnipz0098

Re: Wood Poker/Pure/GH60 case, a work in progress.
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 15:57:17 »
Are you going to make more?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 20:43:58 »

I know factually that there are going to be at least 5 of these in existence (all styles). I would assume for the right price nubs would make more.

I hope he makes more, they look great.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 23:10:57 »

I've made two Red Gum and Purpleheart (one is on the way to kenmai), an Ash an Purpleheart (soon to be on the way to cottonsox), a Walnut and Padauk, and a Walnut and Purpleheart and am making a lidded case for TacticalStache, but outside of those, I'm not really planning on making more.  I might be willing to, but I like doing small runs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 21:44:19 »
Necroing my own post since I didn't want to make a new topic.

I decided I wanted to try something a little different.  Unlike my previous cases that had a palm rest and a case as two separate parts, I decided to make one that has an integrated palm rest.

This is purpleheart and paduak and will be a rich red and dark dark purple when finished.  Currently they the case has been sanded down to 1000 grit.  I'll be drilling the hole in the back for the USB cable, using a jig to drill holes for the standoffs, and then trimming up and seating the foot.  After that comes the finishing and the really hard part, deciding if I'm going to go Alps or MX and what cap set to use with it.

I also decided to try something a little different and put an angle on each side of the palm rest.  This enables a slightly more natural wrist position when my hands rest on the rest.

Edit:  Noticed this had been in the media thread instead of making things together.  Oh well.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 21:49:46 »
I really love all these exotic colour woods, it just ruins it for me to know that they will turn a dark brown or some such colour with age.  :(

Anyways, nice work nubs.  :)

now you have to make a wooden HHKB case. ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:42:09 »
I really love all these exotic colour woods, it just ruins it for me to know that they will turn a dark brown or some such colour with age.  :(

Anyways, nice work nubs.  :)

now you have to make a wooden HHKB case. ;)

Depending on how it's finished, it doesn't have to change.  If you avoid oil finishes and use a finish that will retard oxidation (any kind of hard finish), you can keep the vibrant colors for much longer.  I have some pau amarello that's still a sexy shade of yellow.

I think I might do one in figured maple with a two tone dye job to get it looking really sexy.  Something nice and tacky to get it ready for Manly Unicorn.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:47:37 »
Necroing my own post since I didn't want to make a new topic.

I decided I wanted to try something a little different.  Unlike my previous cases that had a palm rest and a case as two separate parts, I decided to make one that has an integrated palm rest.

This is purpleheart and paduak and will be a rich red and dark dark purple when finished.  Currently they the case has been sanded down to 1000 grit.  I'll be drilling the hole in the back for the USB cable, using a jig to drill holes for the standoffs, and then trimming up and seating the foot.  After that comes the finishing and the really hard part, deciding if I'm going to go Alps or MX and what cap set to use with it.

Show Image

I also decided to try something a little different and put an angle on each side of the palm rest.  This enables a slightly more natural wrist position when my hands rest on the rest.

Show Image

Edit:  Noticed this had been in the media thread instead of making things together.  Oh well.

This looks great! Did you notice that the Padauk swells up at all? I've found that it has a tendancy to do that. I love the combo of the purpleheart and padauk. Padauk is something I've only recently started seeing more of, and that vibrant red/orange color it has is amazing.

Great work.  :thumb:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 19:59:13 »
No swelling that I noticed.  I gave it a couple of weeks to get acclimated to my work area.  It's a weird wood though since it has large pores.  It's hard, but can chip if you're not careful when cutting it across the grain.  You also need to wipe it really well with mineral spirits since the pores will clog with sawdust.

One of my favorite woods is bloodwood, but it's so damn hard to work with.  Verawood is another favorite, but the same problem.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 20:10:32 »
Those damn pores! You are so right. I had issues with the swelling when I  wasn't careful while applying the finish. It soaked it up and swelled up the first time worked with it. I wasn't happy since it was part of an inlay.  :(

Bloodwood is hard, like super hard, if I recall correctly. Similar to Zebrawood (which I love). I know with zebrawood it dulls my blades out pretty quick - even quicker than purpleheart. I'm guessing bloodwood is similar.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 21:48:29 »
Bloodwood is the hardest wood I've ever worked with.  I turned a piece and it took so much force and time to turn, made worse by the constant need to hone the edge.  It's a pain to finish because it's so hard.  You don't really need to oil it or do anything else, but you have to sand it perfectly down to 1000 or greater or every imperfection shows.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:54:13 »
Damn, that one piece case/rest is beautiful!

What do you use on the inside to mount the pcb to?
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 23:57:31 »

I have a jig for drilling standoff holes and various height standoffs to try and make the plate flush with the case.  I usually cork line the base.  I may also suede line the case or flock it.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 00:01:19 »

I have a jig for drilling standoff holes and various height standoffs to try and make the plate flush with the case.  I usually cork line the base.  I may also suede line the case or flock it.

Ah, thanks.  I can't wait to see that finished.  :thumb:
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:01:13 »
Still deciding if I want to do MX or Alps in it, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  There are some small flaws, but I was going for proof of concept over perfection.  I couldn't find the cork I usually use in cases, so I tried a new one.  It was definitely a much lower quality cork, but it did the job.  I may still flock it, but I think I like the simple cork only filler.

The wood was sanded to 1000 grit and finished with oil and then a coat of paste wax on top of that.  Normally I would use Deft Danish oil, but it disappeared on me and I had to use the inferior Watco.  A quick wipe down with mineral spirits after it was allowed to soak in some did seem to make it a little less awful.

It's hard to tell, but the integrated palm rest has a curve to it.  It's almost perfectly centered.  This allows me to rest my palms on the case at a more natural slightly angled position.

The foot is a routered piece of purple heart that's glued in place.  I can't tell you the exact angle it gives the case, but I believe it's around 7 degrees.  The USB hole was drilled and filed to size and shape.

I've noticed in the past that the plain brass standoffs can be problematic, so I decided to try something new.  I found some nylon spacers, bored them out to the right size since they were a little too narrow, then cut them and sanded them down to size.  I slipped them over standoff after I seated it and slipped an o-ring on top of the spacer and around the standoff.  This should give it a nice snug fit against the PCB that should make it more solid feeling while also protecting the PCB.

And placeholder PCB.  The plate is nice and flush with the case.  I used 8mm standoffs that are anchored in roughly 3mm deep holes.

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:03:34 by nubbinator »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:26:16 »
Where was purple heart ten years ago? I grew up on a steady diet of New Yankee Workshop and the like, and I never heard of purple heart or padauk. Now it seems to be all the rage.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 19:46:23 »
Where was purple heart ten years ago? I grew up on a steady diet of New Yankee Workshop and the like, and I never heard of purple heart or padauk. Now it seems to be all the rage.

My dad was putting purple heart strips, amongst other woods, in cabinets about 20 years ago. Maybe it took some time to become popular on the east coast?

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 01:53:59 »
Better pics to come, but I love the combo.  FaceW PCB (but the damn Fn key doesn't work) with AboStudio clear tops, purple switch stickers, clear MX stems, 67g springs, blue (cyanish color) anodized plate, lubed with Krytox, with the Cyan GMK set.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 05:04:32 »
Better pics to come, but I love the combo.  FaceW PCB (but the damn Fn key doesn't work) with AboStudio clear tops, purple switch stickers, clear MX stems, 67g springs, blue (cyanish color) anodized plate, lubed with Krytox, with the Cyan GMK set.

Show Image

Daeumn this looks good! Also, clever thing with the standoffs.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 20:37:05 »
And finished.  FaceW PCB (but the damn Fn key doesn't work) with Krtox lubed MX Clears with AboStudio clear tops, purple switch stickers, and 67g springs, blue (cyanish color) anodized plate, with the Cyan GMK set and one of the GMK Esc caps from Ivan's buy.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 08:31:45 »
Nice, keep up the good work pal!

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:37:04 »
And finished.  FaceW PCB (but the damn Fn key doesn't work) with Krtox lubed MX Clears with AboStudio clear tops, purple switch stickers, and 67g springs, blue (cyanish color) anodized plate, with the Cyan GMK set and one of the GMK Esc caps from Ivan's buy.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks great!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline 3K

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:47:16 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Man, that color is just WOW! Love your work.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:30:15 »
Ha ha, cute.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:31:28 »
nice

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:34:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a real beaut right there.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 19:35:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a real beaut right there.
As good as the the pictures are, feeling the finish of the case in person really shows off nubbinators talent. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2