Author Topic: Topre TKL HiPro  (Read 10902 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Topre TKL HiPro
« on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:35:37 »
Just a quick thing, the full album with short descriptions for the pictures is here: http://imgur.com/a/7p7PG

So what started it?

Back in December someone posted a thread about a limited edition Realforce x Just Systems keyboard coming out. Full sized topre board with hipro keycaps and the whole thing just looked fantastic. I had to have it. I know from past experience with the full sized Ducky and Model M that full sized isn't for me. **** logic, I bought not one, not two, but three of the Just Systems keyboards. To be fair only one was actually for my own collection with the other two going to two others xD Just wanted to save on shipping.

I received it and wanted to use it right away.

Of course, I inevitably felt that full sized was a poor choice. Though the feeling of the hipro made me want to keep it.

At the same time Godomelet just listed his Realforce 91 over at mechmarket (topre TKL JIS). I hit him up and we quickly hashed out a transaction. To save on shipping I had him send it over to the apartment in Miami that I was going for spring break. The wait to get to Miami was brutal between all my work and just waiting for that key board.

Finally I get to Miami and play with the 91 all week just imagining the hipro caps on it. I didn't like the stock OEM caps at all. The hipro caps are a bit heavier and make it a different experience to use.

The first night after I get home, it starts. I rip open (carefully pushed the tabs) the keyboard (fairly easy with topre) and start unscrewing everything.

Using a flathead screwdriver and pushing on the switch from the other side I pop all of them out

One thing to note in that picture is the standard left Ctrl cutout. The Realforce 91 uses a standard left Ctrl.

I then placed them in the opposite keyboard (so yes my 108udk body now has stealth black keycaps )

I screwed everything back in and was just itching yo throw those keycaps on.

It is now my daily driver!

Full album here:
http://imgur.com/a/UrkPu

Hope you enjoyed!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Topre TKL HiPro
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:43:33 »
Nice looking board!  :)  I am excited to try the hipro keycaps that I have coming after seeing this!

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:47:03 »
Great work  :thumb:
Ive been eyeing the HiPro ever since I tried one on display but the lack of a TKL version steered me away, smart of you to mod the switches over to a TKL RF. I cant stop drooling over the last two pictures... beautiful.

Do you have any tips/tricks on how to pull out the whole switch housing without damaging the nubs that latches on to the plate?
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:51:48 »
Great work  :thumb:
Ive been eyeing the HiPro ever since I tried one on display but the lack of a TKL version steered me away, smart of you to mod the switches over to a TKL RF. I cant stop drooling over the last two pictures... beautiful.

Do you have any tips/tricks on how to pull out the whole switch housing without damaging the nubs that latches on to the plate?

Unfortunately no matter how careful I was they ended up a bit damaged.

Usually I pushed against it from the front to create a small gab to fit the flathead screwdriver. A little bit of prying pops it out very easily. Though, when I put them back in and checked, they were noticeably loser and I could push them out by just pushing on the front. Though, the way I did it, it seems the nubs are intact enough that they don't wobble or anything. The black screws used for the PCB attachment also seem to be mainly for reducing wobble and that sort of thing.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:52:18 »
Absolutely remarkable mod, my friend. So very very cool!!!

I saw that edition of the Realforce and thought I'd want it so much with those red mods.. but that's so much cooler~

I cant stop drooling over the last two pictures... beautiful.

THIS A MILLION TIMES. SO GOOD.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:53:48 »
Nice looking board!  :)  I am excited to try the hipro keycaps that I have coming after seeing this!

Thanks!

I've been dying to try hipro and with that limited edition coming out I knew I had to. Though the wait just for the original board was brutal. Preordered beginning of Jan and the release date was only early Feb! Then I still had to get it reshipped.

I saw that edition of the Realforce and thought I'd want it so much with those red mods.. but that's so much cooler~

Haha! There are more pictures of the completed board in the album link at the bottom ;)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:55:32 »

Thanks!

I've been dying to try hipro and with that limited edition coming out I knew I had to. Though the wait just for the original board was brutal. Preordered beginning of Jan and the release date was only early Feb! Then I still had to get it reshipped.

Haha! There are more pictures of the completed board in the album link at the bottom ;)

Well congrats on such a great result!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 05:43:51 »
The mod is definitely good and the result is really looking nice! It seems to be an expensive mod isn't it? My next upgrade on my NT should be close to this one as I will put SA caps on it. What will you do with the HiPro donor board?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 05:53:57 »
The mod is definitely good and the result is really looking nice! It seems to be an expensive mod isn't it? My next upgrade on my NT should be close to this one as I will put SA caps on it. What will you do with the HiPro donor board?

I'm keeping the donor board so if ever I need to sell it (family emergency, etc) I can reverse everything. I wonder how SA in a NT compared to hipro topre

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 07:24:09 »

I'm keeping the donor board so if ever I need to sell it (family emergency, etc) I can reverse everything. I wonder how SA in a NT compared to hipro topre
I read that it is quite wonderful. I guess it is still going to be different as SA is made of ABS and is not as thick as those on the HiPro. I'm looking forward to get my Hack'd by Geeks set!

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 07:43:57 »

I read that it is quite wonderful. I guess it is still going to be different as SA is made of ABS and is not as thick as those on the HiPro. I'm looking forward to get my Hack'd by Geeks set!

Intelli told me he really disliked the SA+NT combo =[

The housings are different on the hipro set which will definitely change how it feels and sounds along with the fact that NT naturally feels different, though, I haven't tried a NT+SA combo.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:45:08 »
Oh cool! I didn't know you could swap them like that...Hi Pro is my favorite Topper board, for whatever that's worth. Thanks for the pictures :D

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:49:25 »

Intelli told me he really disliked the SA+NT combo =[

The housings are different on the hipro set which will definitely change how it feels and sounds along with the fact that NT naturally feels different, though, I haven't tried a NT+SA combo.
Oh OK. I think the NT requires some modding before you can take advantage of his full potential. Since I silenced it (both stabs and upstroke), it is definitely not the same keyboard.
Oh cool! I didn't know you could swap them like that...Hi Pro is my favorite Topper board, for whatever that's worth. Thanks for the pictures :D
Yeah I'd like to try an HiPro as well. Perhaps later ^^.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:56:10 »
Now put it in a graphite digilog case!
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:21:37 »

Not sure I like it all that much actually. If anything I'd plastidipp the realforce case to get a different color

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:05:35 »

Not sure I like it all that much actually. If anything I'd plastidipp the realforce case to get a different color

How do you plastidipp?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:09:11 »

How do you plastidipp?

They sell it in a plastidipp spray. You would take the case off and just spray it onto the case. Unlike spray paint plastidipp is much easier to remove and can be peeled off. I was considering maybe a red case for this to match the red mods and contrast nicely with the beige keycaps. Either that or an off white case like the original

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:11:04 »

How do you plastidipp?

They sell it in a plastidipp spray. You would take the case off and just spray it onto the case. Unlike spray paint plastidipp is much easier to remove and can be peeled off. I was considering maybe a red case for this to match the red mods and contrast nicely with the beige keycaps. Either that or an off white case like the original

Oh ok. Does it look/feel like the coat you have on the QuickFire or NT?

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:24:06 »

How do you plastidipp?

This would be my first time plastidipping ;(

AFAIK it should be more rubbery

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:26:30 »

How do you plastidipp?

This would be my first time plastidipping ;(

AFAIK it should be more rubbery

Fair enough. Keep us updated if you don't mind. I'll be interested to hear about the result.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:53:18 »
Getting some 55g domes and landing pads thanks to another user from here

I'll let you guys know how that feels

(posting here because I got a message regarding this specific project)

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:58:21 »

I wonder who that may have been, they have really good tastes in boards i think.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:04:45 »

I wonder who that may have been, they have really good tastes in boards i think.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to disclose who it is but yea, if he likes this board he must have good taste!