Author Topic: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)  (Read 57250 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:10:27 »
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!  :eek: Thank You!!!!!  :-*

A little bit of joy after recent negative events - congratulations :)

And congrats to btctopre too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:19:09 »
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!  :eek: Thank You!!!!!  :-*

A little bit of joy after recent negative events - congratulations :)

And congrats to btctopre too!

Yeah brother, Ive been so down because of Reptiles bull****.. I knew I couldnt type fast so I was hoping for at least the random draw so I could get some of the beautiful orange good ness! Im in so much joy!   :D

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:33:53 »
There weren't really very many entries so that was a positive for people who tried :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 18:00:19 »
I tried, but my hands were too cold to type properly.  I resolved to try again when the heater came on, and ended up doing something else and forgot :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #254 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 20:35:10 »
I didn't enter because I thought it was a speed competition and I would get schooled by all those pros around GH.

Feeling a bit foolish now...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #255 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 20:37:10 »
Should have read the rules of entering :)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #256 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 20:38:46 »

Should have read the rules of entering :)

I maaaaaaaay have breezed by the rules and ass-umed it was a speed competition. :p

I'll read your rules next time though.  :-*

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 03:56:01 »
love this dark trans purple color. :)  unfortunately it looks like dark blue with my crappy camera.

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 04:00:18 »
love this dark trans purple color. :)  unfortunately it looks like dark blue with my crappy camera.

Show Image

Still a good pic despite "crappy camera".

Congrats to the winners!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 08:14:38 »
All prizes for the winners have been shipped out yesterday.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #260 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:02:07 »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #261 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 16:40:05 »

Show Image

Soo beautyful, especially combined with that easter Pink! =)

Really love the picture as well, no matter which camera it was shot with.
Awesome shot Naasfu! Love the light and framing!

Much Congratz to the Winners again!
Can't wait for more pictures once people recieve them! =)

The big question tho is....
Has my beloved Pale trans Pink been taken hostage Synjin? xD

I hope i don't get PM'ed in demand of ransom money... Ö_Ö

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 19:30:58 »
So, I've been using the cap Synjin sent me in the place of my "E" key for the last couple of weeks. I can easily say, it feels exactly how you want a cap to feel, which is just like you never changed it out. The profile is spot on, the texture is amazing, and the thickness, while I would still like it a little thicker, is good enough to keep from having any flex in the key. Once he perfects the molds and the release, these will be a more than suitable replacement for the keys on the HHKB or Realforce. Note: mine was supposed to be UV reactive, but really didn't react much under black light.

Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 15:47:59 »
So, I've been using the cap Synjin sent me in the place of my "E" key for the last couple of weeks. I can easily say, it feels exactly how you want a cap to feel, which is just like you never changed it out. The profile is spot on, the texture is amazing, and the thickness, while I would still like it a little thicker, is good enough to keep from having any flex in the key. Once he perfects the molds and the release, these will be a more than suitable replacement for the keys on the HHKB or Realforce. Note: mine was supposed to be UV reactive, but really didn't react much under black light.

Show Image

Show Image

Woah, that one hell of a collection exit! Ö_Ö
Thx for the sweet pics and quick review man! Nice to see more of Synjin's Blanks in the wild! =)

That Gamer set looks crazy nuclear btw... So its also uv active after all?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 15:49:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

Woah, that one hell of a collection exit! Ö_Ö
Thx for the sweet pics and quick review man! Nice to see more of Synjin's Blanks in the wild! =)

That Gamer set looks crazy nuclear btw... So its also uv active after all?

It reacts to UV light, just doesn't glow.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 16:09:46 »
It reacts to UV light, just doesn't glow.

Thx exit! I remember people asking if it was gid but haven't seen brought up if it was uv active...
Im not really a fan of gid anyway tbh, but uv active is a nice touch! =)

Much congratz on getting a nuclear set man!  :thumb:

Offline btctopre

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:10:17 »
not supposed to be any real sunlight here until the weekend (wtf texas), so just a few dark pics of some of the caps synjin surprised me with from the giveaway:

also got a yellow fn/esc set, but i felt the quality of the transparent caps were better than those so that's what i've been testing out the last 36 hours. my thoughts on the caps:
really well-made, especially for someone who has only been casting them for a month or so now. the shift key has a couple bubbles on it, but the smaller keys are basically flawless other than being a little rough around the bottoms (which isn't really visible when you have the caps on). the stems are very sturdy, and the caps "snap" on like your standard rf/hhkb keys, so synjin has gotten through the hard part. for sound, they're slightly more chattery than your standard rf keys, probably from the different material composition, and for feel, they're a little more "plastic-y" than the pbt, but neither are directly noticeable unless you're feeling/listening for it.

for improvements, there aren't really a whole lot necessary other than just cleaning up the final product more. thickening the walls up would be welcome, as it should add some depth to the colors on transparent caps and "improve" the thock sound, and then maybe remove the cross-supports around the stem (though that'll likely cause issues, also not really necessary for solid caps). maybe make the caps not as transparent as well, as right now the slider is very visible in proper lighting (which could be a good thing for some, but mine are purple so i don't want to see them).

i'll probably use the caps for a week or two and then pass them along to someone else who participated in the contest/giveaway, so keep your eyes peeled on here if you're interested in them.

keep up the good work synjin, please don't stop now when you've gotten so far already. thanks again for the caps  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:21:36 »
More
not supposed to be any real sunlight here until the weekend (wtf texas), so just a few dark pics of some of the caps synjin surprised me with from the giveaway:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

also got a yellow fn/esc set, but i felt the quality of the transparent caps were better than those so that's what i've been testing out the last 36 hours. my thoughts on the caps:
really well-made, especially for someone who has only been casting them for a month or so now. the shift key has a couple bubbles on it, but the smaller keys are basically flawless other than being a little rough around the bottoms (which isn't really visible when you have the caps on). the stems are very sturdy, and the caps "snap" on like your standard rf/hhkb keys, so synjin has gotten through the hard part. for sound, they're slightly more chattery than your standard rf keys, probably from the different material composition, and for feel, they're a little more "plastic-y" than the pbt, but neither are directly noticeable unless you're feeling/listening for it.

for improvements, there aren't really a whole lot necessary other than just cleaning up the final product more. thickening the walls up would be welcome, as it should add some depth to the colors on transparent caps and "improve" the thock sound, and then maybe remove the cross-supports around the stem (though that'll likely cause issues, also not really necessary for solid caps). maybe make the caps not as transparent as well, as right now the slider is very visible in proper lighting (which could be a good thing for some, but mine are purple so i don't want to see them).

i'll probably use the caps for a week or two and then pass them along to someone else who participated in the contest/giveaway, so keep your eyes peeled on here if you're interested in them.

keep up the good work synjin, please don't stop now when you've gotten so far already. thanks again for the caps  :thumb:

The red looks great with the RF caps.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:34:41 »
Is there any chance of MX keycaps in the future? If it's one thing I'm going to miss is using one of your Fn caps or any of the rest, once I get those topre-mx sliders.  :)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:39:30 »
Perhaps. Right now I've been very busy since it is almost the end of the semester and my  baby keeps getting sick.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:47:48 »
Perhaps. Right now I've been very busy since it is almost the end of the semester and my  baby keeps getting sick.
Have a good semester then, and  hope your baby gets well soon!  :)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:49:26 »
She is getting better slowly

Offline btctopre

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 09:18:23 »
alright, got a good week's worth of use out of the caps, so now it's time to pass them on. will give away the following caps to the first person that participated in the original giveaway (and is located in CONUS) that requests them here. i'll cover shipping and all that.

(yellow esc/fn, red/white/blue esc/fn/hhkb shift)

apologies to FoC_Tow, Ludovician, byker (and any other international participants), shipping outside of the usps system still makes me uncomfortable. if none of the CONUS participants want the caps and one of ya'll do though, then i may make the effort to ship beyond the border.

edit - my only additional thoughts after the further use is that the front right corner on the fn is sort of flat(?), so there's a noticeable difference in texture there. everything else is still fantastic on the trans set.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 10:06:40 »
alright, got a good week's worth of use out of the caps, so now it's time to pass them on. will give away the following caps to the first person that participated in the original giveaway (and is located in CONUS) that requests them here. i'll cover shipping and all that.
Show Image

apologies to FoC_Tow, Ludovician, byker (and any other international participants), shipping outside of the usps system still makes me uncomfortable. if none of the CONUS participants want the caps and one of ya'll do though, then i may make the effort to ship beyond the border.

edit - my only additional thoughts after the further use is that the front right corner on the fn is sort of flat(?), so there's a noticeable difference in texture there. everything else is still fantastic on the trans set.
Conus here :D

Offline btctopre

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 10:27:48 »
and we have our winner.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 14:21:40 »
Show Image

Ö_Ö

Gratz Air Tree!!   :thumb:

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:35:34 »
I getting itchy for some topre caps. Any news on the first sale?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:36:29 »
Sorry, I've been busy studying for finals and my baby keeps getting sick so I haven't been able to do much aside for babysit :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #278 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:16:25 »
Life (tm) and especially baby should always come first :)

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 15:36:19 »
These are really great looking. Great job Synjin!

Ps. Those skittles and smarties where tasty :D

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 16:17:22 »
Sorry, I've been busy studying for finals and my baby keeps getting sick so I haven't been able to do much aside for babysit :(

Sorry to hear it. Hope your child is all better and stays better soon. And good luck with those exams!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 19:52:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

So many of these look better on a black HHKB.  Wondering whether I should get a black one too ...

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 21:07:26 »
Show Image

Show Image

So many of these look better on a black HHKB.  Wondering whether I should get a black one too ...
Do it! You can never have to much topre!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 21:08:33 »
Show Image

Show Image

Do it! You can never have to much topre!

It's more a case of adding another keyboard to my wish list :rolleyes:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 11:22:53 »
HUGE THANKS TO SYNJIN! I was fortunate enough to get the trans dark orange that he made. It was my dream blanks and I was lucky enough to get all of these badass caps!
They are topre, perfect stem, fits and works great. Have been on my board for a week with no issues at ALL! They look amazing, they feel great!
These are amazing for how new you seem to be? Not sure if youve secretly been making caps longer or youre just really good quick! :)
The bottoms have some access on the edges. The Shift has a hard non trans piece inside of it. Besides that, they are great!
I CANT believe he made Modifiers. No one does that. Theyre awesome! Short right shift? I use it for Caps Lock (Control) and left Shift.
Here are some crappy iphone pics hah Ill take better ones soon. I also have some bros on here for color comparison.
Thanks again man! I just need one more orange fn for my arrow cluster to be complete.  :cool:

:thumb:

SO STOKED to see more and hopefully get in some sales for more orange blanks! I need all my mods! hehe
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 06:03:25 by dustinhxc »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 05:35:34 »
Just like to say that crushed keycap in your first post the lighter pink looks amazing reminds me of cupcakes I would love that but I have no topre :X keep up the good work anyway hopefully you do that one again as it looks real nice but in MX ;)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:25:08 »
Well thats just amazing isnt it?
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 20:28:16 »
This thread has been very inactive, BUT I finally took a nice photo of the awesomeeeee orange trans Topre caps I got from Synjin!

Here they are! I hope he makes more in the future.  :cool: