Author Topic: HHKB Metal Case  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
HHKB Metal Case
« on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 04:23:12 »
I think the metal case at MD left a lot of us disappointed and the absence of mistakemistake made me worried that we would not have a good-looking metal case for the HHKB. My goal with this thread is to gather opinions of how your ideal hhkb metal case would look and hopefully we can do a GB later on.

If mistakemistake decided to go through with his GB we can use this thread as an inspiration and if he doesn't we have to make it ourselves.

My first suggestion is to make the case angeled. The original HHKB angle I calculated is around 8 degrees. If many of you want a more angeled case we could design a raiser or a bar to make it mroe angeled.

My second suggsetion is to have full support of Hasu's controller. I'm about to order one myself so I can see what differs hasu's controller from the OG HHKB controller designwise. Hopefully we can get the Bluetooth mod to work as well but I heard that it may interfere with the metal.

We would probably need some sort of dampening mat on the bottom of the case to reduce the Ping, but that's hard to predict without a real sample.

Well this is all I have for now. Please leave suggestions and Ideas!

Lets just say, I'm on the case!  ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline raymogi

Re: HHKB Metal Case
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 04:52:03 »
I agree with all of your points above. I happen to have hasu's BT controller too but I don't mind if the case only works with stock controller on hasu non BT controller.

All I want from the case is it looks as close to the stock case as possible.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 05:19:14 »
It would be really good if the case was the exact dimensions as the stock case. It may be easier to have a plastic insert for the actual keys, it may also help to preserve the feeling of typing. Kinda like a plate for a cheery custom board, but Topre... and plastic.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 05:25:00 »
Although I'm unlikely to buy one (due to cost), I'd go with fanpeople - making it the same dimensions as the existing case will give you a template to work from, provide a familiar feel to the keyboards on which it is installed, and will fit with any other HHKB accessories.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 05:55:20 »
Hmm maybe we can arrange the plate like in the TGR jane GB so we can use a plastic plate between the two alu layers. I'm a bit busy this weekend but I'll def do some research of this when I get the time! I also agree that a plastic plate would be better to the feel since most ppl prefer the feel of hhkb over 660c
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:43:57 »
And a place for Bluetooth to work through

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 04:07:26 »
Although I'm unlikely to buy one (due to cost), I'd go with fanpeople - making it the same dimensions as the existing case will give you a template to work from, provide a familiar feel to the keyboards on which it is installed, and will fit with any other HHKB accessories.

I think exactly like the original has to be the way to go. Changes to the design are always going to be disputed by one faction or another, the original works for everyone and provides support for all the mods/accessories. I wouldn't mind the option of some sweet red feet like the HHKB HG.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 08:16:56 »
Hasu's controller fits great, the issue is there is not much space for a battery that lasts a long time.
So it would be a good idea to make some place for a "big" battery.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:54:32 »
I was extremely disappointed with the MD case. It just looks clunky.

1. As mentioned above, I feel like the case needs to be EXACTLY the same. They won't move enough of them if they're specialized for a bunch of different things. Every HHKB owner with the skill should be able to buy one of these cases and transfer the guts inside the new case.

2. Finishes should be sandblasted and matte, in my opinion. There should be a grey and beige option that match the keycaps (if it's even possible) before the more wild colors are given priority.

3. Rubber feet on the bottom, or space for them.

It might seem like a tall order, but the HHKB case is already pretty great (minus rubber grip feet). If these are going to be expensive, I say make them nice instead of just a novelty.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:02:31 »
I like the idea of going with the original case

just have a bunch of different anodizing options and that should keep enough people happy

Offline phoxxii

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 22:13:27 »
As someone who bought one of the MD cases (black) and is hoping other people who also like the look and idea that the MD case has if it does not go through I will definitely want to be a part of this. I for one actually like the idea of having a metal plate for the sliders to rest on as with lube and silencing there should be no damaging wear and the feeling of typing would be amazing.

Bent case scenario is that the MD goes through and a GB is made here :)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:27:19 »
I like the idea of going with the original case

just have a bunch of different anodizing options and that should keep enough people happy

^^^^This^^^^^^

Anodizing options would be great, gives a bit of colour flexibility. 

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:35:56 »
Interested in seeing where this goes.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 02:43:24 »
I'm always down for metal HHKB's!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:02:43 »
I believe livingspeedbump over at keychatter is working on a hhkb case...but i'm interested to see what designs people come up with. If anyone else has more information about it please feel free to comment.

Offline Butter

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:59:26 »
As long as it doesn't look like a matchbox I am happy.