Author Topic: Noxary Keyboards  (Read 36211 times)

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
Re: xondat's projects
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 21:47:24 »
Show Image

It might be obvious, but this is a tray mount 60% case that I'll have readily available on my store next year along with my sandwich style case. The dimensions are identical to X60, including the height of the sides. It's compatible with all tray style cases, unless the corners on your plate isn't rounded.

Naming wise, either XT60 or T60. XT60 is a reference to my poor attempt last year at a tray mount case, but I didn't actually know anything to do with CAD. T60 is obvious too - Tray 60. It'll fit with my scheme which will be X (Flagship), T (Tray), and N (Sandwich). We'll stick with T60 for now.

I'll be getting this prototyped and shipped with X60 weights, along with N60. I'll post a picture of N60 in the next few days once I've finished the last little details.

Please, just take my money already

At $200 (easy shipping for a lad like me), this would be absolutely perfect. Got two 60% builds ready to go, and one is just sitting in a cheap Taobao case, waiting to move into something better. I've been itching to ditch low profile cases for a long time, and I'm only halfway there with my FMJ. This would complete the journey.

I love the work you've done with the X60, but at the time, $350-400 was a bit too much, and I was put off back then by the integrated plate as someone who had never done a custom build before. This would be something that I can support without hesitation. The X60 weight would be an awesome addition. Even better would be the inclusion of a center screwpost, something the FMJ doesn't have.

Good luck with all your upcoming projects!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2016, 22:08:23 by exanile_tabasco »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Noxary & xondat's projects
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 14:57:21 »
Updated the main page and project page of my website, along with the OP in this. Can't figure out which colors to use for N60, but it'll do for now.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 15:07:54 »
Nice and clean website with some interesting and cool looking projects. Love it!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 18:57:19 »
Updated the OP, just about to update the website too.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 11:30:09 »
Made some comparisons in CAD.

The only difference is the weight (and X60 is .2mm taller than T60). Really not sure if I should add the weight - if I do, I wouldn't be able to have it identical because of the central tray mounting point... So any advice, please weigh in! T60 is being prototyped at the minute, so waiting on the sample before I go any further. I'm also not sure if I'll do a GB or just drop some on my webstore (when it's up) as an initial debut, but they will be available all times.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 12:35:43 »
Made some comparisons in CAD.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The only difference is the weight (and X60 is .2mm taller than T60). Really not sure if I should add the weight - if I do, I wouldn't be able to have it identical because of the central tray mounting point... So any advice, please weigh in! T60 is being prototyped at the minute, so waiting on the sample before I go any further. I'm also not sure if I'll do a GB or just drop some on my webstore (when it's up) as an initial debut, but they will be available all times.

I would really prefer keeping that central mounting point for the case, along with weights! LeandreN had a great idea with his case. I understand if you might not want something similar, so here's my idea. You could split the weight into two separate weights (Keeing the central mounting point) and use the screws to hold them down on the North and South of the case. Not sure if that makes sense. It will weigh a bit less, but at least all mounting points will be available.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:47:53 by Unforgivable »

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 13:59:53 »

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm no longer sure whether the T60 should have the weight.

Weight w/ no post: Having the weight would carry over nicely from the X60, but without the centre post, typing feel on some boards will suffer. Not too certain what exactly causes this disparity between different boards, since my PCBs are about the same thickness, and my plates are technically all aluminium; the GH60 does fine without a centre post, but B.face feels horrible, and GH60 satan is somewhere in between.

No weight: the case obviously loses the uniqueness factor, but as a hipro case with a thick base, it should already be plenty hefty.

Split weight: If prototyping a new, split weight will push the price towards $300, the prospect becomes less appealing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:05:32 by exanile_tabasco »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:25:50 »
Will there be some 60% PCBs that compatible for installing on T60 but not on X60?
And will there be some PCBs that are opposite? i.e. fit X60, but not the T60.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:34:18 »
What happened to the N60 that was up at the site for a while? Loved the design :rolleyes:
We need someone to make aluminum floating style cases to challenge wkl.kr and GON :D

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Xondat's Keyboard Design Stuff
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:20:56 »
75% and TKL bases complete. Numpad development is going on now. :))

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

is the TKL still a thing?

this design with the 8 deg angled form of the current X60 would literally be my perfect keyboard

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:27:15 »
I would really prefer keeping that central mounting point for the case, along with weights! LeandreN had a great idea with his case. I understand if you might not want something similar, so here's my idea. You could split the weight into two separate weights (Keeing the central mounting point) and use the screws to hold them down on the North and South of the case. Not sure if that makes sense. It will weigh a bit less, but at least all mounting points will be available.

Having thought about it a bit more, I'm no longer sure whether the T60 should have the weight.

Weight w/ no post: Having the weight would carry over nicely from the X60, but without the centre post, typing feel on some boards will suffer. Not too certain what exactly causes this disparity between different boards, since my PCBs are about the same thickness, and my plates are technically all aluminium; the GH60 does fine without a centre post, but B.face feels horrible, and GH60 satan is somewhere in between.

No weight: the case obviously loses the uniqueness factor, but as a hipro case with a thick base, it should already be plenty hefty.

Split weight: If prototyping a new, split weight will push the price towards $300, the prospect becomes less appealing.

The central mounting point would stay. I'm thinking about just having an external only weight like a 356 Mini.

Split weight is ...eh. I'm not keen on that idea too much.

Will there be some 60% PCBs that compatible for installing on T60 but not on X60?

60% is a universal PCB, so they should all work in both X60 and T60.

What happened to the N60 that was up at the site for a while? Loved the design :rolleyes:
We need someone to make aluminum floating style cases to challenge wkl.kr and GON :D

I wouldn't use it myself so I discontinued it.

this design with the 8 deg angled form of the current X60 would literally be my perfect keyboard
The file is still a thing, and the idea for X80 is that if I still want more keyboard when I get X75 then I'll probably get it made.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:31:13 »

The file is still a thing, and the idea for X80 is that if I still want more keyboard when I get X75 then I'll probably get it made.

sounds good

at this point in time i'm certainly going for the X75 so i'll likely be making the same decision as you if the X80 is made

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:24:05 »

The central mounting point would stay. I'm thinking about just having an external only weight like a 356 Mini.

Show Image

Split weight is ...eh. I'm not keen on that idea too much.

60% is a universal PCB, so they should all work in both X60 and T60.

I wouldn't use it myself so I discontinued it.

External weight sounds good to me! It's a great idea. Would it be brass or Stainless Steel?

Any chance of making brass plates to sell as well? Probably jumping ahead of myself here, but one can dream!

On a side note, do you think you'd ever make a tray mount case with a removable top and an external weight? Kind of like the 365Mini but with standard 60%, Winkeyless, and HHKB tops?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 09:43:46 »
External weight sounds good to me! It's a great idea. Would it be brass or Stainless Steel?

Any chance of making brass plates to sell as well? Probably jumping ahead of myself here, but one can dream!

On a side note, do you think you'd ever make a tray mount case with a removable top and an external weight? Kind of like the 365Mini but with standard 60%, Winkeyless, and HHKB tops?
Both materials for the weight. I'll be doing brass plates along with CF, polycarbonate, aluminum and stainless steel.

If I think tray feels as good (but different) to X60, then maybe I'll do what you suggested, but otherwise it'd be really pointless.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 10:41:31 »

Okay I forgot that I really like external weights. This is here to stay - I'll get a new quote and get this made ASAP.

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 11:00:16 »
Show Image

Show Image

Okay I forgot that I really like external weights. This is here to stay - I'll get a new quote and get this made ASAP.

Beautiful and perfect. Didn't get in on FJELL r1 so if this stays on schedule, count me in. While it's nice that it keeps the dimensions of the X60, it's a good thing that the T60 now has something to set it apart from the others.

Also, just curious, is the anodization on X60 and T60 soft or hard? I guess it doesn't really matter since I still don't know if my (R4??) black FMJ is soft or hard and it's completely fine, I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2017, 11:02:18 by exanile_tabasco »

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 12:50:39 »

Both materials for the weight. I'll be doing brass plates along with CF, polycarbonate, aluminum and stainless steel.

If I think tray feels as good (but different) to X60, then maybe I'll do what you suggested, but otherwise it'd be really pointless.

Are you serious? All the plates?! Woot! Any chance we could get ANSI only plates as well? So excited for brass and polycarbonate!! I'm totally in for the case, and I love the exterior weight design.

I hope you make tray versions! I just think it would be nice to have designs like the 365 mini. Don't get me wrong, X60 is perfection, but having something you can easily switch in and out with other standard plates would be really cool and different. Or X60 V2 would be awesome too! I need a Winkeyless 60% in my life! Lol.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 15:06:11 »
Beautiful and perfect. Didn't get in on FJELL r1 so if this stays on schedule, count me in. While it's nice that it keeps the dimensions of the X60, it's a good thing that the T60 now has something to set it apart from the others.

Also, just curious, is the anodization on X60 and T60 soft or hard? I guess it doesn't really matter since I still don't know if my (R4??) black FMJ is soft or hard and it's completely fine, I'm just curious.

All "soft", I won't be doing hard as it's pointless to me.

This thought sticks with everything I'll produce: If I'm not going to use it/like it, then it won't be a thing.

Are you serious? All the plates?! Woot! Any chance we could get ANSI only plates as well? So excited for brass and polycarbonate!! I'm totally in for the case, and I love the exterior weight design.

I hope you make tray versions! I just think it would be nice to have designs like the 365 mini. Don't get me wrong, X60 is perfection, but having something you can easily switch in and out with other standard plates would be really cool and different. Or X60 V2 would be awesome too! I need a Winkeyless 60% in my life! Lol.

I plan on testing all 5 materials on X60 and cross testing them, and then after that all materials will be available. ANSI plates are the only option for now, I'll make a universal plate soon but I plan on testing with ANSI so no need to make an universal plate (I know the cutout works anyway).

X60 V2? Getting way too ahead of yourself! :))

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:54:35 »
Getting this made:

4mm bezels all around. M1 screws. Top mounted (10 points).

I could probably use 4mm top/bottom, and 2mm side bezels, but that's pretty extreme. For reference, X60 has 8mm top/bottom, 4mm sides.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
xondat's projects
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 19:55:07 »
CNY is painful for someone that'd like a few prototypes made, so why not make even more.

This is mainly a concept of a "unibody" case (combined top/bottom) but in a small enclosure, and with no visible screws when on a desk. It also features a massive brass weight to close it all instead of something more sensible. The mounting is identical to X60, mainly so I don't have to solder another PCB together just for another project. It weighs about 2.8kg, which is about .3kg more than X60. Bezel size is the usual 8/4.

P.S. My next design won't be a rectangle.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2017, 19:57:18 by xondat »

Offline cribbit

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:53:23 »
It also features a massive brass weight to close it all instead of something more sensible.

The best designs are never sensible.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 23:17:54 »
So next production run begins any day now, they last 30 days each. Just waiting on the new X60 engraving files. In this production run there will be (April):
  • X60 - Production Weights, Prototype ANSI Brass Plate, Prototype ANSI Polycarbonate Plate, Prototype ANSI-P Aluminum Plate
  • X75 - Prototype Case
  • T60 - Prototype Case
The production run after this will be (May):
  • X60 - Production Replacements, Extra Plates
  • X75 - Production Cases
  • NX01 - Prototype Case
Might as well list the one after that (June):
  • X75 - Potential Production Replacements, Extra Plates
  • T60 - Production Cases
  • NX01 - Production Cases
This doesn't account for times in between the production runs, but it's just a super rough guide. Mostly for me to have somewhere, but I guess someone will find it interesting. :))

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 23:49:04 »
Show Image

it's too zoomed out but **** it

probably will put an IC up as I pack 60S, and launch when I'm done I guess
I'd like to buy one of those.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: xondat's projects (Logo Competition)
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 20:53:26 »
I figured this is the best place to host the competition/search.

I'm looking for ideas and ultimately a new icon logo. This icon logo will feature on all of my keyboards, websites I use, boxes and cards, and pretty much everything else. Unfortunately (as reflected in my designs), I'm not very creative which is exactly why I'm doing this.

The person that creates or inspires the icon logo that leads to being the final version will receive 1 free keyboard from any future group buy of their choice. This offer is open for as long as it takes, and the winner can claim whenever they want (lets hope I never stop).

The only thing you have to go on is that it must fit with my current designs. Apart from that, it's all open!
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 20:58:39 by xondat »

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 21:14:45 »
Awesome, I'm sure I can come up with something  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 21:25:23 by aaron6301 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 14:50:40 »
Got to clear up a few things:
  • If a submission is a joint venture and it's obvious then you both could win
  • No submission limit
  • Competition is open until I find the design, so it could close really suddenly
  • It's for Noxary, and not xondat
  • Submission doesn't have to be pretty, you could submit a hand sketch or something done in MS paint and it could win - it's about the idea
  • It must be millable/engraveable - nothing with multiple layers please!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 15:11:07 »
Alright, I am a horribly designer but I would love one of your boards. And since there is no set amount of times that I can enter... Here are my first 3 submissions!

For some reason, when I think of Noxary, I think of a gear. So I started with that. The "design" on these is meant to be every letter of NOXARY all together. There is no "R" in the gear design but the other 2 have it, somewhat. These are really rough designs done in MS.
Please do not be too harsh haha

Thanks!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 15:19:52 »

Offline 3K

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 16:14:10 »
I did some quick sketches, trying to keep it simple and clean.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:00:31 »
Posted these on slack, xposting here

Offline lolpes

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:01:38 »

Tomorrow with cad I might have a better result but right now I'll just leave the draft as an entry :)

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 06:50:31 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 07:18:15 by Pwner »
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:59:17 »
165149-0

165151-1

Needs some cleaning up and resizing/reshaping of elements, but I dislike screwing with MSpaint and my sketching skills are balls, haha.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 23:17:14 by Skull_Angel »

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 16:04:16 »
Hope you like, Xondat and Noxary fans around the world!!  :thumb:

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 16:10:10 »
Also, these were the first drafts. You can see the two I chose to work with a bit more for the above versions... However if there's something in here you like, we can modify/ refine with you.  :cool:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 21:13:58 »
Hey, going to close this on 4/20 11:59PM BST. Make sure to submit your design by then!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 21:29:29 »
There are some great pieces here! My idea was good but the execution was bad. Great job everyone!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 21:31:59 »
There are some great pieces here! My idea was good but the execution was bad. Great job everyone!

Luckily it's the idea that matters!

Offline kustom3

• bonjour
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 22:13:39 »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 22:49:48 »
Show Image

Haha kicking it oldschool!

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 04:44:45 »
Xondat you have to use your skills towards resurrecting this Redscarf variant that never got produced! :p :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 05:00:45 »
Show Image

that comic sans  :confused:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:43:16 »
Xondat you have to use your skills towards resurrecting this Redscarf variant that never got produced! :p :)

Show Image

Now PCBs aren't a problem, it does mean I can consider non standard layouts. Maybe another competition/vote to decide? :D

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:48:59 »

Show Image

Now PCBs aren't a problem, it does mean I can consider non standard layouts. Maybe another competition/vote to decide? :D

I vote for the KMAC mini layout and samwisekoi's 122 board

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 11:54:43 »

Show Image

122 is definitely happening.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 12:13:20 »

Show Image

This is good news (if you're serious)... I for one would love to see more funky layouts come to life in quality customs. Realize it's tough because of necessary production scale and the funkier layouts will draw less folks in, but still hope to see you take a shot with things like this!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 12:28:18 »

Show Image

This is good news (if you're serious)... I for one would love to see more funky layouts come to life in quality customs. Realize it's tough because of necessary production scale and the funkier layouts will draw less folks in, but still hope to see you take a shot with things like this!

Definitely serious. Obviously it won't be a large run, but it's on my list to develop properly when the time is right. Same goes for other layouts, they'll happen in smaller runs (which means the prices will be higher, but suppose it makes sense). I have a couple on my mind already, but not going to work on those until I've at least started X75.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 12:32:06 »

Show Image

Definitely serious. Obviously it won't be a large run, but it's on my list to develop properly when the time is right. Same goes for other layouts, they'll happen in smaller runs (which means the prices will be higher, but suppose it makes sense). I have a couple on my mind already, but not going to work on those until I've at least started X75.

Sweet! This is really exciting to hear and in my opinion, a nice niche to fill. You definitely have the design chops to put these things together, so I'll be eager to see what happens after the X75!  :thumb:

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
Re: xondat's projects (Logo Competition Closes 4/20)
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 10:44:06 »
Badges and Squares

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 11:13:19 by aaron6301 »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: xondat's projects (Logo Competition Closes 4/20)
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 11:13:01 »
Noxay - Badge Edition

Show Image

This... is a curveball. I was leaning towards a design, and then this comes in :eek: