Author Topic: Anyone used an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE?  (Read 7173 times)

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

Anyone used an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE?
« on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 13:58:45 »
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2829

Its a bluetooth Teeny-like device, and has an ATmega32u4.   Does anyone have any experience with it?  Can it run TMK or QMK things?

Offline priyadi

Re: Anyone used an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 16:24:14 »
QMK supports those. I'm typing on a handwired using Feather 32u4 BLE right now. Amount of pins is a little too short, though, only 17 are available. You will need an IO expander or some creativity with your matrix, even with a 60% keyboard.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 22:05:50 »
Is it possible to load Soarer's Converter firmware on one of these?  Sounds too simple to me, but hey, won't know if I don't ask.  I am guessing that the problem is that if used like a regular Soarer's Converter instead of a controller, it would require a lot of power to run the original keyboard's controller basically making the low energy part kind of useless.  I can imagine a project enclosure that basically just has a large battery inside plus the Feather 32u4 that you could plug an old model M into so as to use it with an iPad or whatever device wirelessly.  Not sure the latency would be very good though with BT LE.  Thoughts?

Offline priyadi

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 22:45:02 »
Is it possible to load Soarer's Converter firmware on one of these?  Sounds too simple to me, but hey, won't know if I don't ask.  I am guessing that the problem is that if used like a regular Soarer's Converter instead of a controller, it would require a lot of power to run the original keyboard's controller basically making the low energy part kind of useless.  I can imagine a project enclosure that basically just has a large battery inside plus the Feather 32u4 that you could plug an old model M into so as to use it with an iPad or whatever device wirelessly.  Not sure the latency would be very good though with BT LE.  Thoughts?

As a matter of fact, I ported TMK's terminal_usb code to QMK to revive several old 122 keys Model Ms. I'm using Teensies, but it should be trivial to use it with the Adafruit controller.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 09:06:19 »
QMK supports those. I'm typing on a handwired using Feather 32u4 BLE right now. Amount of pins is a little too short, though, only 17 are available. You will need an IO expander or some creativity with your matrix, even with a 60% keyboard.

Thanks for the reply, that is great to hear.

I'm considering using one for a 30% keyboard, so the 17 pins is more than enough.

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:07:32 »

Will there be a noticeable lag when you use it?

And how long could the battery lasts?

Offline Dellamorte

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 11:55:50 »
@priyadi was there anything special you had to do to get qmk working on the feather?
     I have the same one and i am struggling to get it working . I'm only using 14 keys ( gamepad) so I have plenty of pins left.

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 14:19:11 »
Dont want to open new thread for the same question :) As I'm also interested in this. So can I use I2C I/O expander for the Bluefruit? I have one of those lying around http://wearableelectronicsforfashion.com/en/shop/sparkfun-16-output-io-expander-breakout-sx1509/

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 03:12:34 »
Dont want to open new thread for the same question :) As I'm also interested in this. So can I use I2C I/O expander for the Bluefruit? I have one of those lying around http://wearableelectronicsforfashion.com/en/shop/sparkfun-16-output-io-expander-breakout-sx1509/

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'd love to see a "For Dummies" guide to using these.

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 09:04:58 »
I have been using smaller I/O expander with arduino and some servo motors :D I will dig up my code for the expander and post it here if you want :)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 05:22:52 »
I have been using smaller I/O expander with arduino and some servo motors :D I will dig up my code for the expander and post it here if you want :)

So the I/O expander is not something that "just works" with QMK / TMK? Sounds difficult for me, with basically zero electronics knowledge :(

Offline nephiel

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 06:33:33 »
Product page states it has 20 GPIO pins. Does that take into account the I/O pins required for Bluetooth?
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:00:08 »
Basically, the bluefruit lacks enough pins for 60% keyboard. As someone said above can make it but we have to play with the wiring matrix. What I/O expander do is that via the I2C gives you more pins for the wiring. Regarding the QMK/TMK still to investigate this, but there should not be a problem if you address the right pins configuration

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 12:42:28 »
Regarding the QMK/TMK still to investigate this, but there should not be a problem if you address the right pins configuration
bpiphany uses a modified TMK firmware with his Costar replacament controllers which use 74HC42 shift registers. It might ease the process of writing some code for this purpose.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff