Author Topic: [GB COMPLETE] TKC1800 Full kit, G80-1800 compatible QMK PCB, More available soon  (Read 121191 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
I’m planning to use retooled Cherry blacks with 50g springs or Gateron blacks. 

Offline EternalD

• Workin' on it
Anyone have suggestions for inserts within the case? I’ve gotten it apart and plan to solder everything soon, but am noticing how light the board is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Anyone have suggestions for inserts within the case? I’ve gotten it apart and plan to solder everything soon, but am noticing how light the board is.

I haven't tried it yet, but the hobby store here has brass strips in the model train section.  They are heavy and look like they would fit easily in the channels inside the case.  They're not cheap, but they would add some heft. 

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.

Stick on wheel weights work pretty well and they're low profile. I used them in a Filco build where I removed the steel plate for an aluminum plate with switch top removal and cherry stab support.

Offline Kavik

I've noticed a key blocking issue on mine. If I hold both right and left SHIFT keys while pressing the "?/" key, the key press is blocked. I can't think of when this would be an issue except maybe with weird function layer layout. Just thought it was odd.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline TerryMathews

I've noticed a key blocking issue on mine. If I hold both right and left SHIFT keys while pressing the "?/" key, the key press is blocked. I can't think of when this would be an issue except maybe with weird function layer layout. Just thought it was odd.

Both shifts are the default magic keys in QMK.

Offline Bizpit

Got an email from TKC today: Tanzanite Blue cases (likely the second batch only) had to be reworked and should hopefully be finished again tomorrow.

They also oversold the cyan plates, and the only alternatives are Black, Red, Orange, Purple, Green and alps.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
Got an email from TKC today: Tanzanite Blue cases (likely the second batch only) had to be reworked and should hopefully be finished again tomorrow.

They also oversold the cyan plates, and the only alternatives are Black, Red, Orange, Purple, Green and alps.

same for Cocaine White, but I'm fine with that. They're a good bunch at TKC and doing the right thing getting them reworked.

as for the plates, I guess orange or purple would look dope with the tanzanite blue ;)

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
  • Because You Need the Feels...
    • The Key Dot Company
Hey all. Quick update.

95% shipped.

Tanzanite blue and Nardo grey ship out this week. Had to wait on rework of the Tanzanite cases and more stock of brass plaques. Im picking it all up tomorrow morning.

~5 Cocaine white orders were delayed; Im having them remade due to issues I discovered late in the game. You've all been emailed.

There are a few B stock on inventory at the store. I will have a raffle for the extra Tanzanite Blue cases tomorrow. I should have 5 to sell.

Cyan and Unfinished aluminum plates sold out. I will be re-upping plates and PCBs later this month. Should be about a 6 week lead time.

Build log coming soon. If you are having issues with anything drop me an email to orders@thekey.company or ask here, myself or someone else will help you out. Dont force things and break them; ask first!

Lastly, I will have more diffusers in stock soon for the case fronts, this time in colors to match the plates. They will be for sale on the site.

Wheres those build logs? I want to see an Alps TKC1800! Show em off!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus

Not finished yet, still need my nexus sliders, stabs, indicator LEDs, and caps to finish the build. Currently it is using click modded SKCM Black, but I may put white click leafs in there in the future.
197949-0
197951-1

Offline wholypantalones

Lastly, I will have more diffusers in stock soon for the case fronts, this time in colors to match the plates. They will be for sale on the site.

There's diffusers too?

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company

There's diffusers too?

All the kits came with a new one, diffuser meaning the sticker that goes where the indicator lights are. Depending on what color case you got, clear or white was pre-installed. Those that got a matte blue case with orange plate got a free orange one to Skidata it up.

Ill have diffusers in all the colors of the plates available by the end of the week.

Offline Vigrith

Hey all. Quick update.

95% shipped.

Will we get any follow up email(s) for the International orders regarding potential proxies etc or will we just get an updated tracking number with our paypal order as per usual?

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
Hey all. Quick update.

95% shipped.

Will we get any follow up email(s) for the International orders regarding potential proxies etc or will we just get an updated tracking number with our paypal order as per usual?

I shipped everything direct. Was going to use a proxy, ended up costing the same to ship them myself.

You will receive a tracking email direct from TKC when your order ships.

Offline Vigrith

I shipped everything direct. Was going to use a proxy, ended up costing the same to ship them myself.

You will receive a tracking email direct from TKC when your order ships.

Good to hear man, thank you for clearing that up; need some time for mental preparation to deal with customs so I'm quite pleased to be in the last 5%!

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company

I was going to try removing a fin from the bottom case using a Dremel to widen the channel. Then grab a piece of flat steel from Home Depot and epoxy it in. See how that works. It wont add a ton of heft, but it might be interesting to try.

Alternately, someone mentioned filling the bottom case with silicone caulk. Personally Id use a hybrid, like Dynaflex 230. Its easier to clean up. Ill toy around with that when things slow down and report back.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Potato pic for ya:

197963-0

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Potato pic for ya:

(Attachment Link)

That looks so good!! Wish I had my caps and sliders right now...

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
I wasn't part of this particular group buy, but I did order a PCB for a G81-1800 case that I had. I got it put together last Thursday when the PCB arrived.

I'm using Aliaz 70g switches and some GMK Classic Retro caps.

197965-0

197967-1

Offline kookoopuffs

I wasn't part of this particular group buy, but I did order a PCB for a G81-1800 case that I had. I got it put together last Thursday when the PCB arrived.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Was there any issues doing this with the pcb? Did you have to cut anything? Thanks :)

Offline kookoopuffs

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Was there any issues doing this with the pcb? Did you have to cut anything? Thanks :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

The PCBs fit without issue, only reason you cut is to fit the switch plate(which is bought separately).

Offline rioc

The PCBs fit without issue, only reason you cut is to fit the switch plate(which is bought separately).

can anyone tell me which modifications have to be done for the case?
got an extra plate and PCB for my standard g80-1800 too

Offline wholypantalones

Second page of this thread. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94381.msg2613442#msg2613442

Offline rioc

Second page of this thread. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94381.msg2613442#msg2613442

oh, must have missed it... I looked through this.

oh well, Thanks :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2018, 07:39:50 by rioc »

Offline Neodeus

Got my kit the other day and we finished it last night. Looks good. I'll have to post some pics. One questions, however, did anyone else have an issue with a GMK set? I used GMK Aero on mine and the keys in the upper right have different heights. The very top row is tall, the row below that has two short key caps, and the third row down has tall caps again. It still looks pretty good, but the mismatched height is off putting. I realize it is not a failing of this kit, so I am very happy with it. I may just put a row of artisans there to match it up.

Offline Delirious

Got my kit the other day and we finished it last night. Looks good. I'll have to post some pics. One questions, however, did anyone else have an issue with a GMK set? I used GMK Aero on mine and the keys in the upper right have different heights. The very top row is tall, the row below that has two short key caps, and the third row down has tall caps again. It still looks pretty good, but the mismatched height is off putting. I realize it is not a failing of this kit, so I am very happy with it. I may just put a row of artisans there to match it up.

GMK Aero doesnt have the extra keys for 1800 support, hence you got the mismatched profile.

Offline Neodeus

Yeah, I noticed a few ALT and CTRL options, and the small numpad 0 were not there either. Oh well, that's what i get for being a newb. More spots for Artisans though.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company

oh, must have missed it... I looked through this.

oh well, Thanks :)

As soon as I get everything sent out and Drifter taken care of, I plan to do a detailed build log. Thanks to all who chipped in on the answer.

Note on case cutting: 5mm deep is all you need. If you try to cut all the way down, you can break the case (as one of my pals did oof!) Best thing to use is a Dremel with a cut off wheel and a steady hand. next best is sharp flush cutters and a razor or Xacto knife.

Offline Corgi Butts

I'll post my build as soon as GMK Laser is dropped off on my doorstep!

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2018, 09:06:17 by TheKeyCompany »

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
Just picked up the brass plaques, and the Tanzanite Blue. From first glance, it appears theyre all going to be A stock! The new system is working quite well.

Remaining orders will be filled over the next 2 days (except Cocaine, waiting on that run)

Offline Corgi Butts

Brass plaques? 

Edit: duh, never mind.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2018, 12:39:44 by Bastimret »

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
The last of them are packed up, headed for the post tomorrow morning!

I am down to just a few PCBs remaining. I have stopped sales of PCB only for the time being until we receive more.

There will be 4 Tanzanite Blue up for sale shortly as well as 2-3 Cocaine White once I pick them up. Stay tuned to your inbox and this thread for the raffle for each.

Offline Neodeus

Here is a picture of my keyboard. I love it! Used box pale blue switches.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company

It’s lookong good! How do you like it?

Offline Neodeus

It's great. went together without any hang ups. Thanks a lot. Was a good kit for the $$$.  :thumb:

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)

Not finished yet, still need my nexus sliders, stabs, indicator LEDs, and caps to finish the build. Currently it is using click modded SKCM Black, but I may put white click leafs in there in the future.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Sweet build! Now I want to do an Alps one.
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Kavik

Wow, that's an interesting color combo!
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Delirious

For those who were still wondering about modding the case. This is what I did
More

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 18:12:45 by Delirious »

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Gorgeous! Are those caps shown Alps? I’ve been trying to find a kit that will work. I have a few full size Alps boards I could harvest but they need some retrobrite.

Thanks for sharing! Nice build!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Gorgeous! Are those caps shown Alps? I’ve been trying to find a kit that will work. I have a few full size Alps boards I could harvest but they need some retrobrite.

they're ALPS caps but i cannot for the life of me remember what board they're from
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Delirious

They
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

they're ALPS caps but i cannot for the life of me remember what board they're from

They are dye subbed PBT cap from IBM multistation boards. The legends are much thicker than Dell AT101 and the numpad has maroon sublegends.

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
They
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

They are dye subbed PBT cap from IBM multistation boards. The legends are much thicker than Dell AT101 and the numpad has maroon sublegends.

Thanks! Are they fairly uncommon? Got an extra set?

Offline Krona

Is it not possible to get on a waitlist for any case at the moment?

Offline eyedrop

For those who already assembled the board, which usb cable works to route it through the hole on the case?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
For those who already assembled the board, which usb cable works to route it through the hole on the case?

I used a normal USB cable and just cut the overmold to fit the case better. I have no plan on using that cable for any other board and it was a cheap beige one to go with my theme. You don't have to use a custom one if you are willing to cut the part that hits.

Offline avtar

Does anyone know if a build log for this kit is online somewhere?

Offline TheKeyCompany

• * Vendor
    • The Key Dot Company
Does anyone know if a build log for this kit is online somewhere?

Not yet. I’ve been working on one in between other TKC projects and real life stuff.

What part in particular are you needing info on?

Offline avtar

Mainly USB cable related. I came across a post describing cable issues they ran into and wanted to see if others had to perform any workarounds as well.

What part in particular are you needing info on?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:02:59 by avtar »