Author Topic: Topre switch question  (Read 2546 times)

Offline RequieM

Topre switch question
« on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 02:52:56 »
Hey,

Does the Topre switch type feel like a membrane? (when you begin to press it bottoms out?)

Thanks.

Offline nar

Re: Topre switch question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:04:03 »
There's a tactile hump you feel so you won't bottom out if you press lightly as with cherry switches, though that will depend on the key weight, you'll most likely bottom out when you begin to press on 35g and less (Heck its light enough that I sometime accidentally actuate just leaving my hands on the keyboard, though in that case I guess I'm not bottoming out :p), 55g you'll most likely be able to stop before you bottom out with ease. 45g depends on the person I'd assume, I'd say its a bit easier to bottom out accidentally than a blue or brown.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline RequieM

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:09:49 »
So these switches don't feel like membrane? (mebrane, unlike cherry mx, automatically bottom out after the initial pressure)
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:11:36 by RequieM »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 03:30:40 »
No, membranes don't automatically bottom out. However, it seems that way because in order to actuate the switch mechanism, you have to bottom out.

With Topre switches, you don't have to bottom out entirely. The capacitive switch under the rubber actuates about half way down. So if you learn to type really softly, you can touch type on a Topre board without ever bottoming out.

I tend to bottom out most of the time because I have large hands. If you have that kind of problem where you tend to bottom out, I'd suggest the 55g board. It's got the best all around balance of stiffness and smoothness.

For me, 45g is borderline too soft.

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 06:51:09 »
and now comes tough choice: for which keyboard to spend ~$300...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 10:08:07 »
It's really easy to bottom out on Topre keyboard, but bottom out on Topre switch feels really nice.  :)
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline bace

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 11:26:26 »
I agree. I usually bottom out on my 55g topre but I love the sound and feel. Also it's because I'm playing sc2.
[Current] : Maxkeyboard NightHawk x8 ; Topre Realforce 103UB 55g ; Topre TypeHeaven

[Past] : Noppoo Choc Mini ; Das Keyboard Pro ; Filco Majestouch 2 Linear R Black Ninja 104 ; White Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 104 ; Plu ML-87

Logitech G500

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:12:41 »
It's really easy to bottom out on Topre keyboard, but bottom out on Topre switch feels really nice.  :)

I agree.  They're different from MX switches because the tactile bump is at the very top of the stroke.  After overcoming that, the rubber cup collapses, the resistance falls, and there is a smooth fall to the bottom--it's very easy to bottom out.  To me, it feels almost like popping bubbles... the only way that I have found to not bottom out is to 'hit' the key, rather than 'pressing' it, but this was more as a study of if I could do it or not, because the feel of bottoming out and the THUNK the keys make are some of my favorite part of Topre boards.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:20:32 »
It feels more like a rubber dome than a mechanical.  It is indeed quite nice, though.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 14:22:29 »
What makes the THUNK sound?  The oneness with cup rubber?  I thought there were no hard impacting parts in a Topre switch?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 15:55:07 »
What makes the THUNK sound?  The oneness with cup rubber?  I thought there were no hard impacting parts in a Topre switch?

I believe it's referred to as "THOCK". ;)

It's different for every key. I've noticed the HHKB has a much deeper thock than the RealForces, probably due to the increased vibration coming from the lack of a metal backplate.

However, I believe it's a combination of the rubber collapsing, and the air escaping from the dome.