Author Topic: Is this custom doable?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline StartFromScratch

Is this custom doable?
« on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 12:41:05 »
After I've searched for a MK with some specs and realized that doesn't exist (happy to be wrong) I'm here to understand if I can make a custom keyboard -and open-source it- with these specs:

-full size ISO
-per-key RGB, or at least RGB underglow
-QMK or other well-reviewed/mantained open-source fw
-MX cherry compatible

About the list part:

-Keycaps: I've found that maxkeyboard can make custom keycaps set with the Italian layout (which is what i need)
-Switches: I still haven't decided yet, but I would say based on MX cherry for the price (If I see that this keyboard is possible I'll order a switch test pad I think)
-Case: I think Swillkb it's an awesome tool
-PCB and controller: this is the main problem I encountered since even if I have seen tools on github to make personalized pcb I haven't found one to make one full-size ISO per-key RGB PCB.
       -I don't have the know how to make a pcb 
       -I don't know if it's possible to develop a PCB with per-key RGB, which electronics and controller needs to be used, how to wire and program them (I've read that QMK can support per-key rgb effects..but haven't seen any example :( )

If you are asking yourself why someone so normie would need a full-size QMK is because the market doesn't provide open-source solutions and lot of the keyboard's driver/program ToS are..bad, plus that making your kb yourself help you to spend money better, learn a lot and help the community :)

Bonus question: has anyone ever tried to make a pcb with the hot-swap feature?  ;D

Offline nevin

Re: Is this custom doable?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:11:04 »
as "normie" as that sounds... full size custom boards are not common, let alone, full size custom RGB boards.

couple existing boards...
GMMK - has a ISO full size RGB hot swap available in a couple different languages (use the customize your gmmk button)
- you'd have to look into the programmability... not positive. (but it's one of the few full size rgb that has options and is sometimes recommended)

other suggestion would be to look for an 1800 layout. these are a little more common in the custom arena than full size (basically, a compact full size).
- there's the Drop - Shift
- the key dot company - TKC1800

what programmability are you looking for with a full size?
usually the programmability becomes very important the smaller the board becomes. (example 60% or smaller) as you have to make layers go get back the keys you loose when you physically shrink a board to a smaller form factor (or ergo).
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline StartFromScratch

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:44:28 »
as "normie" as that sounds... full size custom boards are not common, let alone, full size custom RGB boards.
Yes, I found out that too, and that's the reason because I'm here

I've already seen the boards you posted, and overall the GMMK is what the most near to my ideal keyboard, but it doesn't run on qmk (and it doesn't have italian keycaps but that's easily fixable buying from them from maxkeyboard).
I've just discovered this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/9nhgl0/keyboard_science_qmk_x_gmmk_v2/) where OP changed the switch controller to a teensy and left the rgb controller original (but since it's detached from the switches input it's ok for me), this seems a viable way for me, I'll try to contact him to make myself an "hacked" QMK GMMK.
If this fail, I will continue the research for the custom, I'll update you.

From QMK I'm not searching the programmability (even if I would use it) but the fact that is open-source.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 16:04:59 »
As said before is dificult to find 100% keyboards. You can go for https://groupbuys.mechboards.co.uk/shop/hyper-7-keyboard-r3/ until may but you won't earn enought for keycaps hahahaha.

Not joking now, you can find decent keebs on this shop or candykeys, mykeyboard.eu or mechkeyboards.eu, all of them european shops with european keyboards. Maybe you are lucky and find something interesting with italian layout.

I would recommend you considering a smaller form factor for example a 96 keys or less. Once you get used to qmk layers you won't miss the keys.

I'm spanish so I understand your keys. I also bought a set of wasd when I started and they are quite nice for the price. Now I no longer appreciate the legends on the keys so wathever it says

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline StartFromScratch

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:10:45 »
As said before is dificult to find 100% keyboards. You can go for https://groupbuys.mechboards.co.uk/shop/hyper-7-keyboard-r3/ until may but you won't earn enought for keycaps hahahaha.

Not joking now, you can find decent keebs on this shop or candykeys, mykeyboard.eu or mechkeyboards.eu, all of them european shops with european keyboards. Maybe you are lucky and find something interesting with italian layout.

I would recommend you considering a smaller form factor for example a 96 keys or less. Once you get used to qmk layers you won't miss the keys.

I'm spanish so I understand your keys. I also bought a set of wasd when I started and they are quite nice for the price. Now I no longer appreciate the legends on the keys so wathever it says

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

I've already searched in almost every shop for the keyboard I want and my conclusion is that's it's easier to build a custom since no product in the market satisfy my needs (apart from the modded GMMK linked above), that's why I made this post, to know the feasibility of a pcb like this.

I'm considering only full size since I'm not the only person who use the keyboard and because I use a lot the numpad and the keys above the arrows (I'm missing their name..)
The main problem isn't the italian legends, I can make custom keycaps for that, is the full size rgb with qmk..
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:13:42 by StartFromScratch »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:26:50 »
I have no idea how to do it but it's possible.

I think most of the RAMA boards are hotswap, designed by wilba I think.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Applet

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:39:25 »
If you do this for a personal project, I'd recommend to look into handwire. It is a pretty bit undertaking if you have no knowlege of PCB-design and it will cost a good bit to do prototyping etc. You can add RGB led strips as underglow.

All mentioned is possible. This is a good start if you want to do a PCB: https://wiki.ai03.me/books/pcb-design/chapter/pcb-designer-guide

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:26:57 »
If you do this for a personal project, I'd recommend to look into handwire. It is a pretty bit undertaking if you have no knowlege of PCB-design and it will cost a good bit to do prototyping etc. You can add RGB led strips as underglow.

All mentioned is possible. This is a good start if you want to do a PCB: https://wiki.ai03.me/books/pcb-design/chapter/pcb-designer-guide

if done well hand wired can even look pretty good although yeah it can take quite a bit of time to solder all the switches, and do not glue up your case shut, if a solder join break you will be in trouble (I know because i did that on my key pad... i was too lazy to 3D print it with a way to clip it) but it seems like the best way to build your perfect keyboard and you could even maybe get the full per key rgb to work.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline nevin

Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline StartFromScratch

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:04:43 »
I have no idea how to do it but it's possible.

I think most of the RAMA boards are hotswap, designed by wilba I think.

Rama is new to me but I didn't find anything full-size from them

if done well hand wired can even look pretty good although yeah it can take quite a bit of time to solder all the switches, and do not glue up your case shut, if a solder join break you will be in trouble (I know because i did that on my key pad... i was too lazy to 3D print it with a way to clip it) but it seems like the best way to build your perfect keyboard and you could even maybe get the full per key rgb to work.

I've already seen a little tutorial from Matt3o (if I remember correct) on its handwired kb, handwiring or pcb for me it's the same, since I'm starting from 0 in both cases.
Thank you Applet for the useful link, I'll look into it at least to learn how a kb is wired with the controller.
Yui, thanks for the tip, but I like the screws :D Could you explain me how you can make a per-key RGB with handwiring? Shouldn't be the RGB attached to the pcb? (I mean the SMD leds)

some resources if you decide to go the handwire route:

guides
A modern handwiring guide - stronger, cleaner, easier
My first handwired keyboard (Alps)

tools
Keyboard Layout Editor
SwillKB Plate & Case Builder
Keyboard Firmware Builder

Thanks Nevin, how the kb firmware builder works given a KLE as input? Shouldn't the firmware be written customized on the wiring schema of the kb<>controller?

At the moment I'm in contact with the guy who modded the GMMK, I'm asking him some details, then if it's built like I guess, I'll try that mod because it's cheaper and it would have ALL the things I wanted on the kb.
Anyway it won't be easy since my GMMK will be an ISO, I'll have to guess the matrix schema to wire (and program the teensy?) it right and at the moment I don't have any knowledge on how to do it.

Offline nevin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 15:24:04 »
yes, when you import the KLE info, the 1st tab is the wiring screen, adjust the diagram to match your wiring or make your wiring match the diagram (either way) it will create the firmware and more importantly, the key matrix in the firmware.

here's an example of a 105 ISO
241072-0

you probably wouldn't be able to use a normal promicro or teensy 2.0 unless you got crazy with the matrix. i'd suggest a teensy ++2.0 or similar with more I/O pins for a full size board (plus RGB)

you can also choose controller, pins, keymap, etc... it's basically just a web configurator for QMK of scratch/handwired boards. (it's a slightly older version of QMK) but this would get you your 1st version of your firmware that you then could download and change and build manually with the latest version of QMK. (keeping the matrix, pins, controller info, etc... from the web builder)

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 03:46:16 »
Yui, thanks for the tip, but I like the screws :D Could you explain me how you can make a per-key RGB with handwiring? Shouldn't be the RGB attached to the pcb? (I mean the SMD leds)
5050 LEDs are pretty easy to solder on wires (i tried, soldered quite a few for a friend) and breakout boards exists if you do not feel comfortable soldering on the small pads, then it is a story of finding a way to fix then in place, maybe hot melt glue, should do the trick while still not be too hard to undo, or 3d printed brackets fixed on the case, or having one of the power rail be solid copper, fixation is the part i have not tried.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline StartFromScratch

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:34:37 »
yes, when you import the KLE info, the 1st tab is the wiring screen, adjust the diagram to match your wiring or make your wiring match the diagram (either way) it will create the firmware and more importantly, the key matrix in the firmware.

here's an example of a 105 ISO
(Attachment Link)

you probably wouldn't be able to use a normal promicro or teensy 2.0 unless you got crazy with the matrix. i'd suggest a teensy ++2.0 or similar with more I/O pins for a full size board (plus RGB)

you can also choose controller, pins, keymap, etc... it's basically just a web configurator for QMK of scratch/handwired boards. (it's a slightly older version of QMK) but this would get you your 1st version of your firmware that you then could download and change and build manually with the latest version of QMK. (keeping the matrix, pins, controller info, etc... from the web builder)

Ok, it makes sense :)
Yes the guy on reddit used a teensy ++2.0 even if he didn't attached the rgb to it (rgb remained demanded to the on-board controller), I'm waiting for his reply on how to figure out what matrix my ISO keyboard will use (I have no idea on how to do it, in his tutorial he didn't explain how he did)

5050 LEDs are pretty easy to solder on wires (i tried, soldered quite a few for a friend) and breakout boards exists if you do not feel comfortable soldering on the small pads, then it is a story of finding a way to fix then in place, maybe hot melt glue, should do the trick while still not be too hard to undo, or 3d printed brackets fixed on the case, or having one of the power rail be solid copper, fixation is the part i have not tried.

I personally don't like this solution, if I would handwire the kb I think the maximum I can do is rgb underglow, cause I like a clean build.