Author Topic: A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please  (Read 25971 times)

Offline wellington1869

A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:32:00 »
Quote from: kishy;176931
That's an actual quote of mine, however.

:) I thought it was hysterical ;)

looks like rippy once again assumed the worst about me. Oh well. He's the like the unbending father figure i never had. :)  But they're all going into the evidence box, to be trotted out at the next therapy session ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:35:05 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:42:06 »
Quote from: ripster;176937
Kishy, read it again.

Sol is not Canadian for Kishy.
Show Image

I still don't see a problem (and your image isn't showing up).

He quoted me, it's a funny quote, it's funny that he quoted it. I lol'd.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:43:08 »
Quote from: kishy;176927

BTW I had a similar no-sound issue with my old desktop. Never did figure out what caused it, but I suspected it to be hardware level. It was a SiS AC'97 something-or-other, 7012 maybe?

My problem is I have four sound cards, depending on what i'm using (docking station with desktop speakers, normal laptop speakers, cs-50 usb headset for Dragon, bluetooth headphones). I have to admit winXP doesnt handle sound card switching very smoothly (er, or at all).

If you start a video without switching to the right one first (manually, in control panel, ugh), then all the computer gods in the universe cant make things right, you'll have to reboot.  (And if the bluetooth is involved, you'll have to force-shutdown too :-D)

Yea, MS can be moronic like that (I'm sure they fixed some of this in win7 tho. I hope.)   The other thing XP does that gets my goat: If you happen to close the lid while the OS is shutting down -- guess what, the freaking thing goes to sleep in the middle of the shutdown.  So when you open the lid later, you're greeted by a "resumed" shut down in progress. LOL!  I swear you can get it to hibernate while in hibernation, too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:49:25 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:44:50 »
Quote from: ripster;176928
Welly is a master of juvenile sigs.  ItlnStln and I were on it for the longest time.

Kishy, I don't think you understood.  What ripster was saying was that Welly likes to put juveniles in his sig.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:50:31 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176943
Kishy, I don't think you understood.  What ripster was saying was that Welly likes to put juveniles in his sig.

I suppose that would be more accurate :-P  tho i dont think thats what rippy meant ;-D

He just hates me, thats all.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:58:12 »
Me, juvenile? Never.
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:02:46 »
I've linked to kishy's quote directly in my sig. So rippy, the next time you think (mistakenly - you did this once before!) that kishy and I are fighting, just click on the link and you can see the context yourself. :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:11:35 »
what i liked about kishy's pithy and eloquent quote is that I feel it basically sums up the experience of 99% of geekhack members. All we do is fill in the minor details labelled "blah" :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:14:08 »
Quote from: ripster;176952
This.

Reading used to be taught a basic skill.

And if I don't win the "Troll Poll" it was rigged.  Multistage ones are harder to pull off.

lol. Thats what you're fighting about? Thats not what you meant above though :)

Boy you really do want to win that poll :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:15:31 »
I feel compelled here to quote Kishy one more time and say:

Bagels.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:22:10 »
Bagels with apple cream cheese.  

*Tries to get this thread back on topic*

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:22:56 »
By the way, I hate apple cream cheese, apple butter, or anything with the word "apple" in it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:24:12 »
Everything bagel, toasted, with Olive cream cheese. Tal Bagels, 90th and Broadway, the best in town. And their coffee isnt bad either.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:25:01 »
Green olives > black olives.  Who's with me?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:26:11 »
How about banh mi?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:26:43 »
Apple olives suck.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:28:22 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176963
How about banh mi?

I'll wait for someone else to do the pun... never did get down to that korean place, though after you raved about it its still on my short list to try.  Maybe this summer!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:30:07 »
I didn't rave about it.  I can't get it at any of the Vietnamese places here.  I can get Phochiladas, though.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:32:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176967
I didn't rave about it.  I can't get it at any of the Vietnamese places here.

well if you didnt rave about it then i'll take it off the list!  Apparently I didnt know the difference between korean and vietnamese food anyway!

I can get Phochiladas, though.

see, i dont even know what that is.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:34:22 »
I think prognos raved about the banh mi.  Pho + Enchiladas = bad joke about "Phochiladas."

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:37:04 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176970
well if you didnt rave about it then i'll take it off the list!  Apparently I didnt know the difference between korean and vietnamese food anyway!

A friend of mine was in Korea with some of his friends. They went into a restaurant in which neither the menus nor the staff had any English, and pretty much ordered a random thing out of the list. A while later, out came an empty pot of boiling water. Shortly after, a waiter brought out a live Octopus, and threw it into the boiling water right in front of them...

As for Vietnamese cuisine, my Dad had a Vietnamese colleague who said that when he was young, he had a pet dog, which he gave to his aunt to mind while the family went on holidays. When they came back, the aunt cooked them a great meal, they asked what meat it was and she said 'dog', and when asked where she got it... Yeah, I think you can probably figure out how that one ended.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:39:51 by ch_123 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:37:47 »
Regular, lighty toasted with regular Philly pour moi, si vous plait.
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:37:54 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176971
I think prognos raved about the banh mi.  

oh yea. I dont know that he's tried it yet either ;)

ah, i see. Pho.

I never did get a taste for vietnamese food. Chinese, japanese, thai, I like.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:39:11 »
Quote from: kishy;176973
Regular, lighty toasted with regular Philly pour moi, si vous plait.

dude thats like my comfort food! :)

Did you ever have a cream cheese and grape jelly sandwich? Its unbelievably good on toasted bread. I can eat like a bucket of those.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:41:13 »
Awesome.  Korean food terrifies me, and I am pretty bold about what I eat.  I went to a Korean wedding and the bride's family did all the cooking.  I had no clue what the hell I was eating half of it was cold (intentionally) some of the "meat" was spongy, and the rest... well... I don't even want to go there.  To my credit (I guess) I did try a little of everything.  I love Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese food (the real stuff, not the garbage you get at most restaurants in the US), but I just can't handle Korean food.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:42:50 »
Asiago bagel with garlic cream cheese and Piccorino Romano.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:43:49 »
Quote from: ch_123;176972
A friend of mine was in Korea with some of his friends. They went into a restaurant in which neither the menus nor the staff had any English, and pretty much ordered a random thing out of the list. A while later, out came an empty pot of boiling water. Shortly after, a waiter brought out a live Octopus, and threw it into the boiling water right in front of them...

see, this is why I dont travel.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:44:02 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176963
How about banh mi?

Quote from: wellington1869;176966
I'll wait for someone else to do the pun...

Banh mi? Yes please! Nomnomnomnom.  :banplease:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:46:39 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176976
Awesome.  Korean food terrifies me, and I am pretty bold about what I eat.  I went to a Korean wedding and the bride's family did all the cooking.  I had no clue what the hell I was eating half of it was cold (intentionally) some of the "meat" was spongy, and the rest... well... I don't even want to go there.  To my credit (I guess) I did try a little of everything.

My chinese roommate once took me to seattle's china town, to a "real" chinese restaurant. Lets just say none of those items were on the menu at Panda Palace down the street from me.

The main course was dim sum. I'd never seen "real" chinese dim sum before (and never want to again!).  To my credit (I guess) I stared at the chicken feet for a long time before ordering a fruit salad.  I think I was a vegetarian for the next week.

Something about tearing the meat off of chicken toe-nails with my teeth just didnt appeal.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 15:48:33 »
Quote from: Rajagra;176981
Banh mi? Yes please! Nomnomnomnom.  :banplease:

Nicely done :)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 16:51:18 »
This has to be the best derail yet.

Can't say I have had such a sandwich, but it does sound good.
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 17:51:56 »
Back on topic.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 18:23:45 »
Apples would destroy the integrity of the taste of a bagel.
kishy.ca

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 18:41:22 »
I like those boba drinks with the little tapioca balls in them. I always get one from the vietnamese restaurant nearby when I go there. The place is called "Little Saigon" but my friends sensitively call it "Little Napalm."
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 18:56:22 »
Quote from: Otterclock;177088
I like those boba drinks with the little tapioca balls in them. I always get one from the vietnamese restaurant nearby when I go there. ."

boba - i always thought it was "bubble". Like bubble tea. The tea that you chew!

hmmm, tapioca balls.
;)

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 19:00:44 »
There is nothing else as enjoyable as a hot Indian curry buffet....

mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Spec_57
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 19:04:53 by Specter_57 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 22:26:58 »
Quote from: Specter_57;177101
There is nothing else as enjoyable as a hot Indian curry buffet....

mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

except maybe a squishee

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 April 2010, 03:35:33 by wellington1869 »

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 23:41:23 »
Wow.  

I gotta say folks,  this is surely the most entertaining forum I have ever frequented, without a doubt - and also the most esoteric.  The last thing I found to reference an abundance of obscure to many yet familiar to me pop-cultureisms in such a grand fashion was the  "The Venture Bros." cartoon on Adult Swim.  Nearly every thread meanders off in the same fashion, yet one can never predict in what direction!  

The Dim Sum mental picture of the chicken feet was particularly dear to my heart because I am half Chinese and  it just so happens that my own absolute favorite dish has to be duck's feet (Sorry, Webwit!)   My Dad adjusted easily to new experiences and learned early in his relationship with Mom that the specials on the menu written in Chinese were often quite delicious and more attractively priced than the ones on the English side, so he got used to just pointing at whatever was there and enjoying the fare.  One day when he took his colleagues to lunch in Chinatown after assuring them of his "inside track" to the great meal, the first dish arrived with a little surprise: it was a delicious chicken-type soup served in a hollowed out melon,  complete with the talons of the beast sticking straight out of the top.  

Given what I grew up with, I will try anything at least once.  Though sometimes I'd prefer not to know what it is if I like it (Birds nest soup has became just a wee bit less yummy after learning that the nest was actually made of something the bird regurgitated - I didn't mind so much when I thought about it being a bunch of feather lined twigs though.  Go figure...) , But even if I don't I'll  eat just about anything if I'm hungry enough.   My partner however is less adventurous, being the type that prefers the much milder white meat chicken or turkey, and he was rather disturbed by the contents of the doggy-bag from my lunch with Mom, which also consisted of jellyfish and an entire squab - head included.  When Fear Factor first aired I wanted on the show because I just knew if I could get through the physical stuff (and I used to be a gymnast) I had a lock on anything that came down to what we had to consume.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Voixdelion

In defense of both apple and pc
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 00:43:27 »
But I digress - Mom was actually the reason I wanted to chime in here, because she exemplifies the reason Apple was able to hold on to any sort of market share given the drastic difference in retail cost of their product from a comparably equivalent PC.  Whenever people get into Apple vx PC arguments, I very rarely hear the real reason why most people who use Apple machines actually do.  It isn't about what is faster or more powerful, as the average Apple-ite probably doesn't even know or care.   Its not really about hardware at all except for the fact that it just happened to be a different building ground for the OS.  It is the user experience of Apple that is (er, was anyway) its major selling point.

Someone made a comment earlier which cast aspersions on the average intelligence of the apple users, but I believe that in a way, the reason Apple appeals is because you really don't have to know a damn thing about computers to use one.  The percentage of  Mac users who even know that such a thing as the "sad mac" icon exists is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of folks who have heard about the "Blue screen of death" so often it had to be shortened to an acronym.

I grew up on Apple - Had a IIc that Mom got to use when she got 30 of them for her class via a grant when she taught high-school.  I remember hating Word Perfect and the fact that one needed a cheat sheet just to remember what obscure key combo would equal "Save" when the Appleworks WP was so intuitive to use.  "Open-Apple+O" (command key for those who never heard it called that) for "Open"  "+P" for "Print", "+S" for "Save" and so on.  When I took a Pascal class, I never thought of going into programming despite a real knack for it because I just didn't think we needed better software!   My mom used the computer just as much as I and was able to teach ESL kids biology and how to do their papers on the computer at the same time.  

When I got a G4 I had to return it to COMPUSA because it did not, even with the added $600 program "virtual PC", run the hardware dependent software I wanted to use at the time.  It came with both OS 9.x (which I loved because it was classic Macware)  and OS X (Which I still hate because its too much like windows, but not quite it.)  I used to be baffled by the small share of the market Apple claimed until I experienced the ability to buy a top of the line (pre-fabbed) PC + Monitor + all-in-one PSFC with the store credit from just the CPU/Display/Mouse/keyboard of the Mac AND STILL HAD $2,000 LEFT FOR SOFTWARE.  Then I marveled that Apple had any bit of the pie at all.

After a year of trying to discover wtf was causing me the need to reinstall the damn system from the stupid "restore disk"  (didn't even get a real windows cd with the Vaio)  countless times and learning how to tamper with the OS so that it would work properly with any kind of consistency I fully understood the value of dollars spent to save headache.  I am a nerd by nature, and I find it fun to toy with my machine and figure stuff out (to a degree) but most people just want to be able to turn it on and do the work they have to do.   Due to fixing all the problems I had I learned how to  get over the stupid "warranty void if broken" sticker over the screw on the PC chassis and even build my own.   I can honestly say that I would never know what I know about computers at all if I had stayed with that G4.  

When my Mom used to call me every two months after the IIcs had been replaced with Windows 98 and 2000 laptops because she couldn't connect to the internet AGAIN, I had the ability to troubleshoot her connection issues and tried to explain to her how to do it herself when it inevitably happened again, but she would get so frustrated that she gave up and didn't even try any more to use it for email.  She used to berate me for spending the extra money on "luxury" like broadband when netzero was free.  When she retired and gave back the laptop, I was astonished she even asked me whether she should buy a pc or mac.  Despite her complaints about the cost, I told her without a doubt not to be an idiot and buy a Mac.  A PC would have been utterly useless to her.

Three months into owning her ibook, she decided broadband was a necessity and now she even has a facebook page.  She googles certain household problems before calling a pro (or me) and nearly had a fit when I borrowed her cable modem one night and didn't bring it back until noon the next day.  She USES that ibook.  Every single day.  And if she were trying to understand why her PC kept restarting itself or didn't ever load she never would have discovered the internet long enough to start sending me those stupid hoax emails about the latest danger on the block or the latest LOLCat pictures.  

Perhaps the reason that people didn't identify with the "I'm a Mac" guy is just because that guy is just a guy.  The PC guy is serious and businesslike, with important serious things to do.  One has to be smart to to all that.  No one wants to realize that they are enticed by a product that was designed to be a little more "idiot proof" because that might mean that they might be that idiot it was proofed against.  

I can proudly say I can now swap out my own hardware and overclock and fine tune and tweak and maybe even on occassion do a little bit of stuff I oughtn't to do (Once I quite accidentally was using the comcast servers after my account had been closed - I didn't know that it had been until I checked the address that was seemingly trying to hack my firewall and found a warning to cease and desist...)  However when I ask myself if I have used the machine to actually accomplish much in the last 8 years since I went PC,  I can't really show anything to be concretely productive in terms of income or even personal productivity beyond expanding my personal knowledge of computers and tech in general.  In my own opinion Apple lost some of its charm when it became more like windows, which I had seen as trying to make PC as usable as Apple back in the day.   Since then they've fallen into the same hype trap as Microsoft and started believing their own market spin rather than continuing along that original path of originality that set them apart in the first place.

On the other hand yet again, I would not likely be using that same G4 to type this ridiculously long analysis today as I am doing on that VAIO which replaced it.  Had I kept the G4 it would likely have joined the ranks in the closet with the useless blue Imac along with a couple other less upgrade friendly machines in the last 8 years to sit and gather dust in its obselesence (sp?).  The VAIO isn't quite the same beast it was, having gone through some surgeries in the video, optical drive, and memory departments, but the CPU and mainboard are still in service pending the readiness of the next iteration ending construction in the next week. My moms ibook is ridiculously slow for me to use, but she will not likely feel a need to upgrade for some time to come.

Basically, it is neither here nor there which is a better product.  That is the entire reason we want to have a choice to begin with isn't it?  Whichever is better for whoever is really a matter of perspective and nothing else.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 April 2010, 00:55:56 by Voixdelion »
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 01:40:02 »
Well put. :smile:

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 02:11:51 »
Most of the usuals here get it Voix. There are a few very vocal and petty people who haven't left high school yet who like to do the "Hahaha! You use a Mac. You must be a loser!" thing. I meant that figuratively, but come to think of it, there may be a few who really haven't left high school.

More commonly, there are those who just don't like the practices and policies of Apple. I personally have no problem with those policies, but I think the people who dislike the Apple brand for how they run their business have very valid reasons for their views. If they're really fundamentally wrong for how they do things, the market will sort things out eventually.

Perhaps the reason that people didn't identify with the "I'm a Mac" guy is just because that guy is just a guy. The PC guy is serious and businesslike, with important serious things to do. One has to be smart to to all that. No one wants to realize that they are enticed by a product that was designed to be a little more "idiot proof" because that might mean that they might be that idiot it was proofed against.
I'm not sure if you've got this right. John Hodgeman's PC character actually gets better approval than the Justin Long Mac guy. Some think this was a major blunder on Apple's part, but I don't find the results surprising at all. Justin Long is clearly in a supporting role in that series. All he does is come in and say something to setup the PC character to do something funny. I know I never watched one of those commercials to see what Justin Long would do. He's just kinda there he does come across a little snooty at times.

BTW, I'm first generation full blooded Chinese and chickens feet makes me yack. I was raised by my grandparents so I have lots of exposure to old world throwbacks, but the nasty stuff just isn't for me. My wife, who's an Irish-German Mutt, is actually a lot more adventurous with food than I am.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 April 2010, 04:59:04 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 03:28:47 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;177172
I'm not sure if you've got this right. John Hodgeman's PC character actually gets better approval than the Justin Long Mac guy. Some think this was a major blunder on Apple's part, but I don't find the results surprising at all. Justin Long is clearly in a supporting role in that series. All he does is come in and say something to setup the PC character to do something funny. I know I never watched one of those commercials to see what Justin Long would do. He's just kinda there he does come across a little snooty at times.

hodgeman himself btw is a real mac evangelist, i read an interview with him once where he was whaling on pc's.  Ironically I got the impression justin long couldnt care less.

BTW, I'm first generation full blooded Chinese and chickens feet makes me yack.

i'm first gen indian and i cant stand spicy food.

I was raised by my grandparents

omg, so was I.  

so I have lots of exposure to old world throwbacks

my throwback is that I'm haunted by the nagging feeling that I should really try to be a vegetarian. Both my grandparents were.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 07:07:48 »
Quote from: Welly
i'm first gen indian and i cant stand spicy food.

You're a disgrace.

That's OK.  My dad (who looks like a Sicilian hitman) can't stand seafood. *facepalm*

Me, on the other hand, I'll eat just about anything.  Some of my favorite foods are feet, crow, humble pie and my hat.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 08:43:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;177198
You're a disgrace.

i know :) I've been told that by spicy food loving indians my whole life. I tell them I'm like the rat in Ratatouille, somehow. While they're thinking about that I order a cheeseburger.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:38:54 »
I don't think Mac users are losers.

I think Mac fanboys are losers, just like fanboys of most things. (There's a difference between fans and fanboys, too. Fans can defend their choice using logical arguments, fanboys *cough*MW*cough* use arguments that aren't based in fact or logic.)

I also think that Apple is setting dangerous precedents, and is being more anti-competitive than Microsoft. Left unchecked, Apple's actions, IMO, will severely harm the computer industry. Companies are starting to copy their walled-garden model, because they've seen it work, and people are getting used to it.

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:48:26 »
I'm late to this thread cuz I was just bashing Apple over on several other forums. Sorry.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:49:47 »
Quote from: kode;163737
Yeah, IBM is pretty much pure services now. The hardware they're handling is more or less part of the deal. Same for SunOracle, really. HP wishes they were there (so expect them to acquire companies to facilitate this, for example SAP, this year).

What? I guess you haven't priced a mainframe lately. They're not giving them away. Or maybe the guys buying mainframes are funding the rest of the operation. Hardware, software, it all costs big money.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:50:46 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;178423
Companies are starting to copy their walled-garden model, because they've seen it work, and people are getting used to it.

I think Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and XBOX were actually there with the walled garden approach first. They don't run the app store, but they license all the titles.

I'm not worried regardless. I'm a strong believer that any strong movement necessarly vacates such a wide area of demand that it spawns its own counter movement. The more dominant the software industry becomes in creating total control, the more demand there will be for its own anti-industry.

Apple is itself an anti-industry of Microsoft and the dominance of PCs and now that they too are becoming dominant others will become the anti-industry of Apple.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:53:12 »
Hey, I've got a (roughly) daily blog series about why Apple is evil. ;)

Didn't get anything last night, hopefully two things come in today.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 08:56:49 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;178431
I think Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and XBOX were actually there with the walled garden approach first. They don't run the app store, but they license all the titles.

I'm not worried regardless. I'm a strong believer that any strong movement necessarly vacates such a wide area of demand that it spawns its own counter movement. The more dominant the software industry becomes in creating total control, the more demand there will be for its own anti-industry.

Apple is itself an anti-industry of Microsoft and the dominance of PCs and now that they too are becoming dominant others will become the anti-industry of Apple.

The thing is, game consoles are a market where you expect a walled garden. (That said, there's XNA on the Xbox 360, and there was Other OS on the PS3, and Linux for the PS2.) Smartphones, OTOH, weren't a walled garden before the iPhone came out.