geekhack Marketplace > Bingecap Archive

FAQ and Question Corner

<< < (3/11) > >>

KaboomTheory:
I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

Binge:

--- Quote from: KaboomTheory on Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:16:41 ---I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

--- End quote ---

Q. I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

A. Most big name casting supplies will be fine for starting out.  Go with what you can most easily afford.  I make note of tons of preferences I have for materials in my OG thread, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284.0. I wouldn't start to experiment with expensive materials until you've at least got machinery to prevent defects.  It's a shame to waste high $$$ materials without the right tools.  While I have experience with using casting tools I am by no means an expert so I will not be posting any DIY guides on how to rig a setup.  mkawa, geekhack admin, has been more than kind enough to share his expertise with tools, and I would suggest if you have a serious interest to reach out to him.  Be prepared to spend $500-$1500 on the low end for a safe setup.

HipsterPunks:

Sir. Binge,

Did you ever release this cap? Its awesome! Backstory please

Binge:

--- Quote from: HipsterPunks on Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:53:22 ---Show Image
Sir. Binge,

Did you ever release this cap? Its awesome! Backstory please

--- End quote ---

Nope!  This guy never made it into production.  He was my first, very very first, keycap made by grinding back a normal key with my dremel and using green stuff.  I've always wanted to make a face key that was more human like, and I've really yet to find the right design.

Previously I even made comedy and tragedy faces, but they were a flop :(

kitsun8:
are you ever going to make the cthulu keycaps again?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version