Author Topic: [IC] GMK Shashin | GB 1st of July!  (Read 81065 times)

Offline Rafa_n

Re: [IC] GMK Shashin
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 19:05:57 »
Don't forget to thank the designers from the Noun Project for their icons you used on your novelties.

Don't forget to thank the designers from the Noun Project for their icons you used on your novelties.
https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=lens&i=3519870
https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=camera&i=1910346
https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=shutter&i=752700

VERY ORIGINAL S3LQ. Do you also not like this set? Are you running this for the community!? Thank you for your service!

Hey! These icons are indeed bought through thenounproject. Buying icons through there leaves you with no need of giving the designers credit.

This set I'm running specifically to pleasure my taste. I've always been interested in photography. I grew up using a polaroid camera, having all these polaroid films laying around brings back tons of memories. That's why I've decided to dedicate this set to that theme.

Show Image
Show Image

what's this for?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 19:11:38 by Rafa_n »

Offline smackyp

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 19:45:34 »
Oh boy. Weirdos being weird ITT.

Anyways, this looks great! I'll definitely be following this set. Good luck to you.

Offline Kajoler

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 23:10:22 »
That's a nice set with nice colors
>:0

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 23:21:07 »
I like these colours and the way your presented the IC, though the Japanese is a little bit random. People don't normally associate photography to Japan, but sublegends are always nice I guess! Not really sure what to suggest since this IC looks pretty much like just an announcement that it's happening, but if you could make the novelties more interesting to tie Japan and photography together that would be rad.

P.S. There's a typo in the image at the bottom that explains the name of the set, you called it Shanshin haha.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 00:53:15 »
P.S. There's a typo in the image at the bottom that explains the name of the set, you called it Shanshin haha.

I thought there would be a collab with Shanshui but I may be wrong

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 01:21:04 »
GMK at least it’s not anime IP

I like the colors.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 01:22:04 »
I like these colours and the way your presented the IC, though the Japanese is a little bit random. People don't normally associate photography to Japan, but sublegends are always nice I guess! Not really sure what to suggest since this IC looks pretty much like just an announcement that it's happening, but if you could make the novelties more interesting to tie Japan and photography together that would be rad.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for noticing! Fill fix  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 02:16:18 by S3LQ »

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 03:16:43 »
Alpha only would be cool

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 05:08:50 »
the set could've just been called 'Aperture'

Aperture as a name doesn't work because it would cause people to confuse it with a Portal game themed keycap set.

A japanese name suits the set given that it has sublegends.
And the theme fits. Most of the cameras during the analog photography age came from japan anyways.

Or make the set be ISO-DE as a tribute to the king of glass, Zeiss. Makes just about the same amount of sense to me.

+1 for a Zeiss novelty

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 05:35:02 »

Aperture as a name doesn't work because it would cause people to confuse it with a Portal game themed keycap set.

And the theme fits. Most of the cameras during the analog photography age came from japan anyways.

Or make the set be ISO-DE as a tribute to the king of glass, Zeiss. Makes just about the same amount of sense to me.

+1 for a Zeiss novelty

inb4 Zeiss lawsuit ;D

Offline Gnome

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:09:36 »
Dig the colors used. Would've preferred to have either sublegends or Latin as smaller alt kit instead of a whole base to help with MOQ and price. IC form wouldve also been appreciated.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:12:34 »
Dig the colors used. Would've preferred to have either sublegends or Latin as smaller alt kit instead of a whole base to help with MOQ and price. IC form wouldve also been appreciated.
Hey! There is an IC form at both the top and bottom of the IC. But here's also a link for you to fill out a submission!

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:22:26 »
Hey S3LQ. Another nice set.
Strong consider on my end for the Latin Base.

Offline Avocadough

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:58:01 »
pls don't force entering our email (which you say will be used) to give feedback in IC. ty

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 07:16:33 »
pls don't force entering our email (which you say will be used) to give feedback in IC. ty
This has been fixed now, thanks for the reply  :thumb:

Offline JPoc

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 07:17:59 »
looks awesome. Really nice presentation too. glwic!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:58:14 »
looks awesome. Really nice presentation too. glwic!
Thanks a lot! Appreciate the support from you and others a lot :thumb:

Offline light_switch

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:50:58 »
Wow this is a great set! Looking forward to the novelties and the artisans with this!

Offline swifthunting

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 15:44:10 »
Novelties look great, I’m sold!

Offline Rocket

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 16:20:46 »
HUGE miss by not adding ISO on ISO key smh

100% this

I like the colours, separate latin base kit for those who dont like sublegends and a UK vendor :thumb: I likely buy from me.

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 17:46:14 »

If you have to do this at all, what does it say about the set?

Offline baccaan

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:05:13 »
Show Image

To curb people saying nIcE gMk (insert any from the above list) cLoNe, and to eliminate the need to purchase two separate GMK sets (Evil Dolch and WoB) to replicate one of the base kits (I don't know of any kits that exist with hiragana sublegends with these colors).

I personally feel it has its own place among the listed existing sets.

Offline Prestley

• Twitch
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:37:19 »
Show Image

I see it as comparing the colors to other sets, just for that purpose. If you like the color theme or you dig another, or just to see how it differs to each set or how they can relate. It's not bad or good, just a nice thing to have and reference.

Offline Pach

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:47:38 »
monochrome dracula /s

Love the design, keep it up!

Offline santela

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:00:53 »
Not sure if this has been asked before, but the novelty for the enter key, what does the 1,2,3 supposed to be? I would love an aperture ring themed enter key.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:07:43 »
Love the theme as a photography fan!

My only complaint is that the line weight of the novelties (specifically mod icons vs. the enter/shift key) are inconsistent. You also have contrasting styles of the rounded mod icons vs. the sharper icons. Which makes it seem a bit rushed, considering they are purchased icons from different icon packs. Maybe spend some more time on the icon packs? I'm sure you can think of more themes specific to Fuji without infringing on Fuji's copyright.

The Japanese subs are also a bit of a weird addition, but since you're referencing Fuji a bit, I suppose that's a bit of a nitpick on my end.

Love the desk mat.

Good luck with IC!
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:11:53 by loop | esc lab »

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 23:32:29 »
I actually like the subtlety of this set. It actually looks very relaxing and I think it will turn out great. One thing I would do is ask a couple of people who have ran a few sets to see if they think you should run 2 base kits or 1 base kit plus alphas. No matter where you got the novelties from, it's cool and I can see myself just picking up the novelties set by itself. GLWS.

maybe some more thought into presenting it as a more fully fleshed out interest check

are you literally joking? how is this not as fleshed out as possible for a interest check? he even has vendors in it already. :confused:

why not also have a novelty function row with the legends "f/1, f/2" and so on?

You do know how doubleshot keycaps work?
Something like this would require an entire set of new molds for the F-row and that would make the set a significant bit more expensive.

1. No, and I'm going to be thorough with my response as I feel it did not have the right tone before, nor did it fully convey my thoughts. Fully fleshed out in this day and age to me means more than posting a few renders of kits and listing vendors. Describe to me the idea. I don't want to have to go and Google the name of the kit in order to have some vague understanding of what the idea is. I'm not the designer of the set. While I can piece together it is photography themed based on the novelties, in what aspect does it tie in? Is it a general photography themed set? Does it have to do with a specific Japanese photographer? Was the designer inspired by more monochromatic photography? Tell me the thought process, the story, the reasoning behind why this kit should exist like the 40 other sets that get posted on a daily basis (slight exaggeration, but the point remains). Simply showing me renders with a list of vendors does some weird psychology thing to me. I want to learn, I want to experience the same thought process, I want to feel like the designer of the set cares enough to express that thought process.
Edit: There is a picture at the bottom now that has a small blurb about the set. Either it wasn't there earlier or for some reason, that image did not load for me, so this point is now moot in my eyes.

2. Aperture as a name for a photography themed set does work if the above is done. Expand upon the idea, explain the name, the process, and people won't think of Portal when they see GMK Aperture. Not only that though, but it was literally the first thought I had. Could've easily called it GMK Focal Length, GMK Full Frame, GMK Prime, GMK 35mm, and so on. But, instead, it's GMK Shashin which does work with the sublegends, but only after a search of Google was that apparent to me, a self described idiot.

3. No, I don't know much about the manufacturing side of things, but I do know that new molds do get made. While sure, it will make the kit more expensive, it was simply an idea to throw out. Then again, must have missed over the part right after that says: "Think that might be a winner if possible" meaning, to me, "I have doubts it could be done, but it would be pretty rad if it could."

This is a fair point. As someone who lives in Japan I know what "Shashin" means but I would be surprised at how many people know. It would also be cool to have the kanji for shashin as well. I feel that the word shashin doesn't bring anything to the table other than the sublegends. I'd love to see some more Japanese association to hit shashin out of the ballpark. There is so much more cool Japan stuff you could probably do to connect the word shashin with Japan and cameras. This actually makes me brainstorm right now. Love it. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2021, 00:45:35 by 2Moons »

Offline spoopycheezy

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:46:02 »
clean set is a clean set. the "theme" feels like an afterthought... to which is true after reading all of this lol

the novelties leave much to be desired. literally the bare minimum in reference to the theme. since the graphics reference a sort of "dark room" i am assuming this theme is more related to the black and white film side of photography? could dive even further into "street photography" when i think of "japanese" and "street photography" daido moriyama comes to mind; extremely stark black and white work. film has so many aspects one can use: exposure, develop, stop, dodge/burn, etc...

anyways good luck with the set its got lots of potential. at the end of the day, no one really cares about theme lore. its already a clean set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:57:21 by spoopycheezy »

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 02:32:16 »
Not sure if this has been asked before, but the novelty for the enter key, what does the 1,2,3 supposed to be? I would love an aperture ring themed enter key.
Hey! The 1,2,3 novelty for the R3 Ansi Enter is supposed to symbolize the exposure indicator found in most camera hud's!

Offline Samael82

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 02:40:29 »
Damn this guy! After Evil Dolch and Aurora Polaris, this vibes strongly with me!
3 out of of 4 of my GMK sets are by s3lq?!? Must be a metalhead as well, cant explain it otherwise!

GL and count me in bro. \m/

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 04:17:47 »

people in this thread...

Offline VXQN

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 05:04:00 »
Modern Dolch Dark? How many grey sets do I really need?

All of them. I'm in.

Offline Katumbas

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 09:42:18 »
I really want this to be my 1st GMK set :)

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 13:56:06 »
this is most likely used to filter out potential spammers

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 14:59:21 »
Damn this guy! After Evil Dolch and Aurora Polaris, this vibes strongly with me!
3 out of of 4 of my GMK sets are by s3lq?!? Must be a metalhead as well, cant explain it otherwise!

GL and count me in bro. \m/
Really appreciate the support!  :-*

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 15:06:24 »
Looks interesting. Are these stock colours - CR, N9, WS1?

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 15:14:23 »
Correct! All stock, CR, N9 and WS1 as you listed  :thumb:

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:22:37 »
clean set is a clean set. the "theme" feels like an afterthought... to which is true after reading all of this lol

the novelties leave much to be desired. literally the bare minimum in reference to the theme. since the graphics reference a sort of "dark room" i am assuming this theme is more related to the black and white film side of photography? could dive even further into "street photography" when i think of "japanese" and "street photography" daido moriyama comes to mind; extremely stark black and white work. film has so many aspects one can use: exposure, develop, stop, dodge/burn, etc...

anyways good luck with the set its got lots of potential. at the end of the day, no one really cares about theme lore. its already a clean set.

Ya, Novelties like what you would find when programming a camera might be awesome too. There are a couple but man I would love to see it taken further. I think general photography stuff would be open here like a softbox, camera stand, etc. I like the idea of this set a lot.

Offline Livid

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 21:38:20 »
super hot deskmat

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 23:54:34 »
100% in for this subtle beauty!

Offline MayberryMech

• https://www.twitch.tv/mayberrymech
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 01:26:16 »
Love the novelties

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 04:11:58 »

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 04:23:48 »
Filled in IC, looks great, will buy. :)

Offline GoodGuyEntity

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 07:30:53 »
noooo, i am working on a photography themed set, looks great ill just have to find a new theme now,  :(

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:32:26 »

Would you consider R5 bottom row? I think the colour is classic enough to pull it off.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 06:28:53 »

Would you consider R5 bottom row? I think the colour is classic enough to pull it off.
Every bit of feedback will be considerd!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 08:48:17 »
Every bit of feedback will be considerd!
+1 for R5 bottom row!

Offline HazeAerospaze

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 07:55:21 »
this IC looks very promising. will def jump in.

Offline andtar2

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:29:40 »
Looking good! Are alpha colors WS1/N9 same as alphas in GMK Evil Dolch? I'm wondering if I could mix NorDeUk kit from Evil Dolch with this one?

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:42:59 »
Gonna be real for a moment, I had to google what this even meant and why things were the way they were to be able to give some actual feedback and not harp on things others have brought up. Not too great of a look, to be fair.

That being said, if the set is about photography or cameras, why does it have to be Japanese? Surely, and I'm just spitballing here, the set could've just been called 'Aperture' without sublegends, and maybe some more thought into presenting it as a more fully fleshed out interest check. For some bit of more constructive criticism, or rather for something neat because photography is a passion, hobby, and past means of making ends meet for me, why not also have a novelty function row with the legends "f/1, f/2" and so on? Think that might be a winner if possible and would tie the set together more than just sublegends and pulled logos for novelties.

Best of luck with this one.
Well, he does like his sublegends. Besides, Aperture is taken.

A quick Googling shows me no result for Aperture, but now we're arguing minor points.
Wasn't there an IC for a Portal themed set called Aperture once? I guess it was ditched after the other Portal themed set actually ran, Gateway was it's name I think.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A